HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,601
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 15
kland 9
Daryl 3
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, ProdigalOne, Kevin H, Daryl, 1 invisible), 2,952 guests, and 19 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Worship & Clothing #33462
07/26/00 03:23 AM
07/26/00 03:23 AM
Daryl  Online Canadian
OP
Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
How should we be dressed each Sabbath when we go to church?

Does it really matter what we wear to church?

Is there any counsel on this in both the Bible and the SOP?

------------------
In His Love, Mercy & Grace

Daryl Fawcett :)

Re: Worship & Clothing #33463
07/27/00 01:37 AM
07/27/00 01:37 AM
L
Linda Sutton  Offline
Charter Member
2500+ Member
USA
When Isreal was encamped at Sinai, they were give special instructions of how to prepare to meet with God when He spoke His law to them. They were told to wash their clothes and their bodies (see Exodus 19:10-15). God is no less particular now than He was when He commanded the Hebrews to be clean before He would speak His law to them.
quote:
From the sacredness which was attached to the earthly sanctuary, Christians may learn how they should regard the place where the Lord meets with His people....Nothing that is sacred, nothing that pertains to the worship of God, should be treated with carelessness or indifference. (5T 491:1,2).

Because of the irreverence in attitude, dress, and deportment, and lack of a worshipful frame of mind, God has often turned His face away from those assembled for His worship. (5T 499:0).

Upon this holy day, our clothing should signify that we understand the sacredness of the Sabbath and the house of worship where we meet with God. Just as the Israelites had been given instruction on how to ready themselves and their clothing before meeting with God at Sinai, so we also have been given instruction as to how we shall appear in the house of the Lord.

Many need instruction as to how they should appear in the assembly for worship on the Sabbath. They are not to enter the presence of God in the common clothing worn during the week. All should have a special Sabbath suit, to be worn when attending service in God's house. While we should not conform to worldly fashions, we are not to be indifferent in regard to our outward appearance. We are to be neat and trim, though without adornment. The children of God should be pure within and without. (6T 355:2).

I am often pained as I enter the house where God is worshipped, to see the untidy dress of both men and women. If the heart and character were indicated by the outward apparel, then certainly nothing could be heavenly about them. They have no true idea of the order, the neatness, and the refined deportment that God requires of all who come into His presence to worship Him. What impressions do these things give to unbelievers and to the youth, who are keen to discern and to draw their conclusions? (5T 498:2).

Linda

[Daryl, I have over 3 pages of material on this particular subject of Sabbath dress. How much do you want? (and HTML is off)]

[This message has been edited by Linda Sutton (edited July 26, 2000).]

Re: Worship & Clothing #33464
07/27/00 02:05 PM
07/27/00 02:05 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered

Luke 3:11 He answereth and saith unto them, He that hath two coats, let him impart to him that hath none; and he that hath meat, let him do likewise.

The first best worship clothes are the white garments Jesus said buy from Him, the second set ought be a good set of clothes reserved for sacred use. They may not be grand, but combined with the white raiment from Jesus they make Heaven's wedding garment.

Tastefully and descretely get someone else the really good clothes (from the skin out to the acessories). The kind of clothes they need but can not get for them selves and each worship you will wear the blessing of their being presented to God befitting coming into His presence. God will know, they will know, you will know. Help them do likewise for someone else in time.

Sr White gave to a once wealthy lady the very clothes that she had saved to get for herself. They were of high quality and would not shame the woman to receive them.

The really upscale expensive clothes you might not be able to afford after doing that, but you will elevate your fellow beliver who could not afford the proper clothes for worship.

If your clothes would not shame you in God's presence by their lack nor style nor abundance, but would feel appropriate with God looking at these clothes; that ought be a good start.

------------------
Edward F. Sutton

Re: Worship & Clothing #33465
07/27/00 05:10 PM
07/27/00 05:10 PM
Daryl  Online Canadian
OP
Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
I want as much as anybody is willing to give.

HTML is now on. (Another slip up on my part )

------------------

Re: Worship & Clothing #33466
07/27/00 05:15 PM
07/27/00 05:15 PM
Daryl  Online Canadian
OP
Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
I started this topic as I feel we are falling short in this in many of our churches today.

We may have forgotten what the Lord is expecting of us in this area, so I thought it would be good to start a topic on it.

------------------

Re: Worship & Clothing #33467
07/27/00 07:42 PM
07/27/00 07:42 PM
Gerry Buck  Offline
Charter Member
Very Dedicated Member
Benton Harbor, Mi.
Never thought of this as a problem.
I look at Jesus as He walked this earth, owning only one set of clothes.
It waa kept clean, in good repair and He wore it every dasy, and even slept in them.

Going to church isn't supposed to be a fashion show.

I wear the best I have, and if anyone has a problem with it, they can buy me something different.

My heart is right with my God, and He sees me, not my clothes.

By the way, I wash them and myself before I wear them to worship.

Gerry b.

Re: Worship & Clothing #33468
07/27/00 07:52 PM
07/27/00 07:52 PM
Daryl  Online Canadian
OP
Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
I am not trying to step on any toes here.

Actually, as I ponder this, I may very well be stepping on my own toes.

I am just looking at this as a principle and feeling that from looking around it seems that many are notliving up to this principle more out of ignorance than on purpose.

What we need to do is back-track and examine the quotes posted earlier and determine what those quotes are really telling us today.

One thing I feel is proper worship in what we wear is whether or not we are wearing our best to church on Sabbath.

If the best I have to wear and can afford to wear is a pair of jeans and a jean shirt and jacket, then I am wearing my best to church on Sabbath. If, however, I have something better to wear and I simply choose not to wear it, then.......

------------------

Daryl Fawcett

[This message has been edited by Daryl Fawcett (edited July 27, 2000).]

Re: Worship & Clothing #33469
07/28/00 03:46 AM
07/28/00 03:46 AM
L
Linda Sutton  Offline
Charter Member
2500+ Member
USA
Gerry, what is in the SOP on this subject is balanced, and takes into account the fact that many people cannot afford to dress in expensive clothing. What God wants is His people to be dressed in their best, clean and neat, not the best that money can buy or what is fashionable. With God, fashionable is out. It doesn't count.
quote:
I am often pained as I enter the house where God is worshipped, to see the untidy dress of both men and women. If the heart and character were indicated by the outward apparel, then certainly nothing could be heavenly about them. They have no true idea of the order, the neatness, and the refined deportment that God requires of all who come into His presence to worship Him. What impressions do these things give to unbelievers and to the youth, who are keen to discern and to draw their conclusions? (5T 498:2).

Their influence disgusts unbelievers. Better if they had ever remained outside the ranks of God's loyal people. The house of God is dishonored by such professors. All who meet upon the Sabbath to worship God should, if possible, have a neat, well-fitting, comely suit to wear in the house of worship. It is a dishonor to the Sabbath, and to God and his house, for those who profess that the Sabbath is the holy of the Lord, and honorable, to wear the same clothing upon the Sabbath that they have worn through the week while laboring upon their farms, when they can obtain other. (2SM 474:2).

There is a class of sisters who think that they are carrying out the principle of non-conformity to the world by wearing an ordinary sunbonnet, and the same dress worn by them through the week, upon the Sabbath, to appear in the assembly of the saints to engage in the worship of God. And some men who profess to be Christians view the matter of dress in the same light. They assemble with God's people upon the Sabbath, with their clothing dusty, and soiled, and even with gaping rents in them, and placed upon their persons in a slovenly manner. This class, if they had an engagement to meet a friend honored by the world, and they wished to be especially favored by him, would exert themselves to appear in his presence with the best apparel that could be obtained; for this friend would feel insulted were they to come into his presence with hair uncombed, and garments uncleanly, and in disorder. Yet these persons think that it is no matter in what dress they appear, or what is the condition of their persons, when they meet upon the Sabbath to worship the great God. They assemble in his house, which is as the audience-chamber of the Most High, where heavenly angels are in attendance, with but little respect, or reverence, as their persons and clothing indicate. Their whole appearance typifies the character of such men and women. (2SM 475:1).

Linda

Re: Worship & Clothing #33470
07/28/00 03:49 AM
07/28/00 03:49 AM
L
Linda Sutton  Offline
Charter Member
2500+ Member
USA
It is of no little importance how people appear before God for worship. Because dress is an index to the character, those who are careless and dirty in their appearance will usually have characters of the same condition. Sometimes, however, there are true Christians who appear in "vile raiment" who have no suitable clothing to wear for Sabbath. Those who have means should see that these dear people receive suitable clothing.

quote:
If there are worthy persons who, with their whole heart would honor the Lord of the Sabbath, and the worship of God, and who cannot obtain a change of clothing, let those who are able, donate to such a Sabbath suit, that they may appear in the house of God with cleanly, fitting apparel. (2SM 474-5).

Sometimes these people simply won't come to church at all or come infrequently. James tells us why;

quote:
For if there come into your assembly a man with a gold ring, in goodly apparel, and there come in also a poor man in vile raiment; and ye have respect to him that weareth the gay clothing, and say unto him, Sit thou here in a good place; and say to the poor, Stand thou there, or sit here under my footstool: Are ye not then partial in yourselves, and are become judges of evil thoughts? Hearken, my beloved brethren, Hath not God chosen the poor of this world rich in faith, and heirs of the kingdom which he hath promised to them that love him? But ye have despised the poor. Do not rich men oppress you, and draw you before the judgement seats? (James 2:2-6).

It is not up to us to judge others' clothing. No one has appointed us to sit in church on Sabbath morning and size up what everyone is wearing. There is to be instruction to the congregation about proper dress, but that is different than sizing up what our fellow church goers are wearing. I'll post more on that later.

Linda

Re: Worship & Clothing #33471
07/28/00 05:39 AM
07/28/00 05:39 AM
C
Catherine  Offline
Charter Member
Veteran Member
Michigan, USA
How we dress influences how those around us perceive us and treat us. But I have found that what I wear also affects how I feel about myself. If I wear neat, professional-looking clothing, I feel more dignified and unconsciously act accordingly. So if I wear my very best to church, it actually helps me to have the right attitude toward God and His worship.

------------------
The Lord is the strength of my life and my portion forever.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderator  Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/28/24 11:09 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 04/29/24 09:07 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 04/28/24 09:29 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!