HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,597
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 14
kland 9
Daryl 3
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
Kevin H
Kevin H
New York
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (Karen Y, Daryl, dedication, 1 invisible), 3,182 guests, and 18 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: FIRST TOPIC - SABBATH REFORM IN LIGHT OF THE CROSS #36654
04/22/01 11:40 PM
04/22/01 11:40 PM
Daryl  Online Canadian

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
What does going to a restaurant on the Sabbath tell us about our relationship with Jesus?

Is doing this an act of love for Him, or....?

Daryl

Re: FIRST TOPIC - SABBATH REFORM IN LIGHT OF THE CROSS #36655
04/23/01 12:29 AM
04/23/01 12:29 AM
Gerry Buck  Offline
Charter Member
Very Dedicated Member
Benton Harbor, Mi.
Going to a restaurant is an act of selfishness.
You are saying to god, I don't care enough about You to prpare for the Sabbath as You have requested, and so I will do aas I please.
I understand we may get stranded sometime and not be able to properly prepare, but, to just go so as to not have to do dishes after or prepare a meal before hand?

Too often it is done just because it is easier than doing what we should.

I don't mean to sound legalistic, but, lack of preparation and planning on our part, does not constitute an emergency on God's part.

Now, if you happen to be in a strange town, and you don't know anyone there and you can't get an invitation from someone in the local church, that could be a horse of a different color.

I know with my medical problems, I have to eat to keep everything on an even keel.
I try to prepare ahead, but, sometimes even the best laid plans can go astray.
There are times when you have to do it, but to do it as a habit........

Re: FIRST TOPIC - SABBATH REFORM IN LIGHT OF THE CROSS #36656
04/23/01 02:45 PM
04/23/01 02:45 PM
Vincent E MacIsaac  Offline OP
Eastern Canada, currently resi...
quote:
Originally posted by Gerry Buck:
Going to a restaurant is an act of selfishness.
You are saying to god, I don't care enough about You to prpare for the Sabbath as You have requested, and so I will do aas I please.
I understand we may get stranded sometime and not be able to properly prepare, but, to just go so as to not have to do dishes after or prepare a meal before hand?

Too often it is done just because it is easier than doing what we should.

I don't mean to sound legalistic, but, lack of preparation and planning on our part, does not constitute an emergency on God's part.

Now, if you happen to be in a strange town, and you don't know anyone there and you can't get an invitation from someone in the local church, that could be a horse of a different color.

Gerry Once again a very balanced postion! AMEN! May i have your permission to use this on the Email verssion of SDA-TODAY?

If we can't prepare for Jesus or don't want to be bothered, it says alot about our realtionship. It is not Leaglistic at all. It is not an issue of salvation, rather an indicator of relationship status.

If i loved my wife, would i have shown up on our wedding day un shaven, unbathed, in street clothes, and not prepared to be wed?

Why do we not give God, the same level of Love we do to people?

Makes ya kinda go hmmmmmm.....

------------------
~VINCE~ IN ~CHRIST~
SDA-TODAY moderator

This restless world is just illusion
All at once, there’s a message from above
This senseless world of mass confusion ....
In the name of love
There’s a message from above ... (Sammy Hagar 2000)

Re: FIRST TOPIC - SABBATH REFORM IN LIGHT OF THE CROSS #36657
04/24/01 03:28 AM
04/24/01 03:28 AM
Daryl  Online Canadian

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
Dressing up for a wedding on account of a person's love for their spouse.

What about dressing up for Sabbath worship on account of a person's love for their God?

Daryl

Re: FIRST TOPIC - SABBATH REFORM IN LIGHT OF THE CROSS #36658
04/24/01 02:54 AM
04/24/01 02:54 AM
B
bicannon  Offline
New Member (Starting to Post)
Ontario, OR. USA
You might be interested in knowing why I keep the sabbath. I used to be a Southern Baptist Sunday School Teacher.

One Sunday the Pastor gave a serman on the 10 Commandments. He explained each one except for 1. The one dealing with the Sabbath.

Exodus 20
"Remember the Sabbath day by keeping it holy.
Six days you shall labor and do all your work,
but the seventh day is a Sabbath to the LORD your God. On it you shall not do any work, neither you, nor your son or daughter, nor your manservant or maidservant, nor your animals, nor the alien within your gates.
For in six days the LORD made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, but he rested on the seventh day. Therefore the LORD blessed the Sabbath day and made it holy.

So three of us Sunday School teachers went into one of the classrooms to descuss the sermon. The question was asked why did he explain every commandment except one? I was asked to ask him why.

His reply was, "You do not need to know why."
He lost 2 Sunday School teachers because of his sermon, the 10 Commandments, and his reply to our question. One teacher became seventh-day baptist and I became a seventh-day adventist.

Praise the Lord for the 10 Commandments and all that he leads us to do.

Betty

[/B][/QUOTE]

[This message has been edited by bicannon (edited April 23, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by bicannon (edited April 23, 2001).]

Re: FIRST TOPIC - SABBATH REFORM IN LIGHT OF THE CROSS #36659
04/24/01 04:23 AM
04/24/01 04:23 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Daryl Fawcett:
Dressing up for a wedding on account of a person's love for their spouse.

What about dressing up for Sabbath worship on account of a person's love for their God?

That is not quiet the point I was making.

What I was trying to say, with the illustration is that When you love Someone and there is a very Special time in your relationship, you won't want to pollute it with anything. You won't let anything get in the way.

I was trying to use the wedding as a metaphor, but it looks like I tripped up in my own words. Hopefully you see the point. Our Love to God should always come first.

------------------
~VINCE~ IN ~CHRIST~
SDA-TODAY moderator

In the name of love

Re: FIRST TOPIC - SABBATH REFORM IN LIGHT OF THE CROSS #36660
04/24/01 05:36 AM
04/24/01 05:36 AM
quote:
Originally posted by bicannon:

Praise the Lord for the 10 Commandments and all that he leads us to do.

Betty

Betty, I just wanted to take a minute and thank you for sharing with us!!!!

Your testimony touched my heart, thank you. Your response is one truly lead by your LOVE for God, and desire to fully follow where the Lamb leads you! AMEN!

I look forward to your future posts here!

------------------
~VINCE~ IN ~CHRIST~
SDA-TODAY moderator

In the name of love

[This message has been edited by Vince (edited April 24, 2001).]

Re: FIRST TOPIC - SABBATH REFORM IN LIGHT OF THE CROSS #36661
04/24/01 12:58 PM
04/24/01 12:58 PM
Gerry Buck  Offline
Charter Member
Very Dedicated Member
Benton Harbor, Mi.
quote:
Gerry Once again a very balanced postion! AMEN! May i have your permission to use this on the Email verssion of SDA-TODAY?

Sure, use away.
If anything I post here might be of use to anyone, use it.

After getting into discussions with non-adventist detracters, I have been learning more of what the love of God means, and want to share with any that might be interested.
Feel free to correct spelling and grammer, they never were my strong suit in school.

I like the 'testimony' of 'bicanon', she should visit our testimony forum and share it with others.

Bible study was what brought me into the SDA church as well.
I initially had a problem with the Sabbath question, but, after study and prayer, I accepted it.

With all He has done for me, how can I refuse a simple request to keep an appointment with Him once a week on the day He has requested?

It is an appointment I look forward to with pleasure, and am sorry to see over after 'only' 24 hours.

It has made my relationship with Him stronger and it has improved my relationship with my family better as well [an unexpected side effect ]

------------------
Examine me, O LORD, and prove me: try my reins and my heart. Ps.26:2

Re: FIRST TOPIC - SABBATH REFORM IN LIGHT OF THE CROSS #36662
04/27/01 03:29 AM
04/27/01 03:29 AM
I wanted to share this with you all here. After I posted Gerry's post about restraunts on Sabbath, on the Email version of this list, I got a number of responses there. Some in agreement with Gerry some not.

Anyways, it lead me to respond with a post of my own on this issue and that is what i would like to share here.....consider it's context.

Here it is;

I want to say something hear. And I hope I am not misunderstood. And Kris this is not directed at you. It is just something I have felt compelled to say as I have been reading posts.

Following Jesus is not about what is easy for us. It is not easy to LOVE. And that is what Following Jesus is all about. Our natural sinful flesh wars against LOVE and tries to find any excuse it can to rebel, rationalize, or defend it's position. Yet Jesus is calling our hearts to FOLLOW HIM. To be empower by the Holy Spirit so we can love Him Like He Loves us.

It was NOT easy for Jesus to go to the cross for us. He left the unimagable riches and comforts, and love of Heaven. To come for us. He was sinless, blameless, and pure, yet hated, beaten, whipped, scorned, forced to lug Him cross up a long hard hill, made naked, shamed and nailed to a cross to suffer. It was not easy. But He did it Because He LOVES you and me.

Take some time and think about His sacrifice to Save you. What it meant to Him. What it cost him. What it cost the whole God-Head. And How He LOVES you so much that nothing could constrain Him from suffering on your behalf so you would not have to?

It was your name on his mind while He suffered. He could of called 10 thousand and Ten Thousands Angels to free Him. But He looked down time and saw Vince, He saw Kris, He saw, Kevin, and Johanna and He saw Russell, He saw Phil and Edwina, He saw all of us here on this list, He saw our children and our parents before us, He saw all of Humanity and He said in His heart, "NO I WON"T GET DOWN FROM THIS CROSS, I AM HERE FOR THEM".

It was cold and lonely, He bled, He was spat on, HE was mocked, He thirsted, and when His heart could take no more it was not a curse HE cried out but instead, "FATHER FORGIVE THEM, THEY KNOW NOT WHAT THEY DO!" And when it was all said and done He yelled out and proclaimed to the complete universe "IT IS DONE!"

And you know what? He was right! It was Done, at that point your Salvation was BOUGHT! Complete, finished! You could now Go to the foot of the cross and believe in this GOD who saved you.

Now, understanding your Salvation is done by what He did that day on the Cross OUT OF LOVE for you, ask yourself what you can do back from Him to show your LOVE as He creates in you a new Heart. When you consider the GREAT Love HE gave and gives for you, and that He wants to spend a special time with you each week to tell you all about it, do you think you could let Him move your Heart to refrain from a restraunt, or watching some ball game on TV or not being prepared?

Your all right, you don't have too. He is not going to force you to. And He is not taking away your salvation because of it. But let me ask you why would you not want to? Why would you want to do anything at all that just might by some fraction not be the right way to greet your Savior on the Sabbath, The holy time HE has set aside for YOU! Or that just might give a NON-BELIEVER the wrong idea about how a follower of God wants to spend his time on God's appointed day.

I am not telling anybody how to live their life. And I stand in Judgment of no man. But I have to admit, when I see and hear of other believers using the Sabbath day to do common things, my heart breaks a little. And If mine dose, how must this feel to the One who Loves so much more deeply then I ever could?

So in closing, when your week seems hard and heavy ( And trust me I Believe it is!!!! LIFE CAN BE HARD) and you feel you have no time to prepare and that it is just easier to enter the Sabbath another way, consider in your heart how easy it was for Jesus to Sacrifice and show His love for you. Then, Go and do as it would seem right in the light of the cross.

In Honest and sincere Love
Your Brother In Christ
Vince

------------------
~VINCE~ IN ~CHRIST~
SDA-TODAY moderator

In the name of love

Re: FIRST TOPIC - SABBATH REFORM IN LIGHT OF THE CROSS #36663
04/26/01 11:10 PM
04/26/01 11:10 PM
Gerry Buck  Offline
Charter Member
Very Dedicated Member
Benton Harbor, Mi.
Yes, that is how I feel.
i can't, and don't have to, answer for what others do.
I only have to answer for my actions, thoughts and examples.

It is difficult for me, with my background, to understand that kind of love. But, I like it.

He did what no one else would, He looked at me and saw somethinfg worth saving, He reached down and pulled me out of the muck and mire, every time I fell in.
He dirtied Himself for me and paid the price I owed.
How can I not do all that is in my power to say thank you by doing what He has asked?

It won't save me, but, it proves to others that I have been.

------------------
Examine me, O LORD, and prove me: try my reins and my heart. Ps.26:2
It is better to trust in the LORD than to put confidence in men.Ps.118:8

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/25/24 09:37 AM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 04/24/24 02:15 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!