HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,600
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 14
kland 9
Daryl 3
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, ProdigalOne, Kevin H, Daryl, 1 invisible), 2,956 guests, and 18 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Quick Vegan Recipes Wanted #37912
09/26/00 12:00 AM
09/26/00 12:00 AM
C
Catherine  Offline OP
Charter Member
Veteran Member
Michigan, USA
Does anyone have an quickie throw-together recipes for vegan entrees, that don’t contain legumes? I have an autoimmune disease and am in the process of very slowly restoring my immune system by carefully observing all of God’s health laws. My diet was actually very healthful before I got sick, because I can’t spend all the hours cooking as I used to, but lately I have been especially trying to leave off any unhealthful convenience foods.

Unfortunately, while my health is much improved over the past, I do still have flare-ups, and when that happens, it is impossible for me to cook anything that takes any effort. On weekdays, when my husband is not home to eat with us, I can open some cans of beans, stewed tomatoes, vegetables, etc., and make chili or some crockpot concoction. But he cannot tolerate legumes at all, so I cannot do this on Sabbath. So when I am unable to prepare anything ahead, we end up having veggie hot dogs and tater tots, which is just about the last thing I really should be eating.

I know what I am asking is very difficult. I have lots of vegan cookbooks, and virtually all of the recipes are time-consuming to prepare, in one way or another. But if any of you have any recipes that fit this description, I would very much appreciate your sharing it with me.

------------------
The Lord is the strength of my life and my portion forever.

Re: Quick Vegan Recipes Wanted #37913
09/28/00 03:18 AM
09/28/00 03:18 AM
L
Linda Sutton  Offline
Charter Member
2500+ Member
USA
Cathy,

While I don't have any recipes at the moment, I have a few suggestions that might help.

Dishes that are layered are usually easy to do. Dishes using the no-cook lasagna noodles can be layered with an combination of frozen (or canned) vegetables, tofu, vegan cheeses and spaghetti sauce.

Rice dishes can be made using the instant brown rice, vegetable broth, canned mushrooms, frozen (or canned) vegetables. If your husband can tolerate fresh or frozen green (English) peas, you can use them instead of beans.

You can throw in a can of some kind of vegeburger, scallops, or such if you want to add a more concentrated protein source.

How about vege-wraps? Using large tortillas or pita bread, vegetables that have been sauteed in a little olive oil, or even steamed or microwaved can be wrapped and whatever preferred dressing added. Each person can do their own. I notice that Cedar Lake brand has "Beef Strips" and "Chicken Strips" in their canned vegefoods. I have tried them and they are good in stirfries, and would be good in fajitas and such. They contain no egg whites as is commonly found in the chicken-style meat analogs from most other companies.

I have found using frozen vegetables to be a time saver, as well as flavor savor. Chopped green pepper, onion, and in some places, celery are available, saving the need to prepare these vegetables for dishes.

When you do fell like cooking, if your health permits, you can fix two of the same dish at the same time and then freeze one for later use. In the area of quick fix meals and dishes, just about all vegetarian-vegan cookbooks require time to prepare recipes and often call for ingredients that are difficult to find. Perhaps others have some recipes that they can add here that will be helpful.

------------------

Re: Quick Vegan Recipes Wanted #37914
09/27/00 10:01 PM
09/27/00 10:01 PM
C
Catherine  Offline OP
Charter Member
Veteran Member
Michigan, USA
Thanks Linda. Your suggestions are very helpful. I am trying to avoid all processed foods, including meat and cheese substitutes. But your tortilla wrap suggestion gave me an idea I wouldn't otherwise have thought of. I can always fix my husband some vegeburger filling while I have beans in mine.

Anything that takes very long to cook, unless it can go into the crock pot in the morning, is out of the question for this situation, because we go to church 25 miles from home and our pastor is young and hasn't learned to make his sermons concise and to the point, so we usually don't get home until at least 1:30. Of course that leaves out most pasta dishes, because it takes so long to bring the water to boil and then cook it before anything else can be done with it. But I have never heard of no-cook lasagna before. Does it come in whole wheat? I get all of my food staples from co-op type sources, and don't usually pay any attention to what's new, just stick with the same things I have been buying for so many years.

I had heard of 5 minute brown rice (or is it 10 minute?) but never tried it. Mostly because I don't care much for rice, I suppose. But I do have rice recipes that I like, and I can check those to see if they would work out with a quicker rice. My favorite one has the raw rice mixed with the other ingredients, then it is covered and baked for 2 hours. I will have to find some of that quick rice and do some experimenting.

One thing I have never been able to do is cook large quantities and freeze some for later. This is because I have two teenage male bottomless pits at my house, and it takes huge quantities just for one meal! Actually, I could make them cook something for Sabbath on the weeks I don't feel up to it. We homeschool, and they do most of the cooking during the rest of the week. One of them even likes to cook, when he is in the mood. (The other one botches up even the simplest recipes at times.) But when I don't feel up to cooking, I don't feel like putting forth the effort it takes to get the one who is a good cook to do something he doesn't want to either.

Your suggestions have been very helpful, and I can't wait to see what other people might come up with. It will sure be nice to have some different options for those weeks.

------------------
The Lord is the strength of my life and my portion forever.

Re: Quick Vegan Recipes Wanted #37915
09/30/00 06:05 AM
09/30/00 06:05 AM
Zita  Offline
Christchurch, New Zealand
Cathy, here is an easy - no effort way to cook brown rice.
5 cups of water - bring to the boil
2 cups brown rice
Simmer slowly for 15 min covered.
turn off the heat and leave for 1-1/2 hours

Zita

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/28/24 11:09 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 04/28/24 09:29 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!