HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,632
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 20
kland 5
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
3 registered members (Karen Y, Daryl, dedication), 3,496 guests, and 12 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Frankenfood or how cabbage got crossed with scorpions #37944
10/11/00 02:02 AM
10/11/00 02:02 AM
KMcCan  Offline
NW
Linda

Genetic Engineering is playing God. As Creator, God holds the patent on life,not Monsanto. He created the species barrier so that each living entity would reproduce only after it's kind. Man has no right to remove that barrier & evil will surely result. Left alone we would make ourselves extinct, instead the Bible tells us God will intervene & "destroy those who destroy the earth."

I still haven't figured out the rules on posting links yet, since I just started posting here yesterday.

Information on Genetic or Bio Engineering is really easy to find on the internet but one site that might particularly interest you is CAGE. Canadians Against Genetic Engineering. If you can't find it let me know if it's O.K. to post the link or I can send it to you via Email. They have many interesting links i.e. Monsanto vs Schmeiser - a landmark case of a US giant vs a small Canadian farmer family.

Kate

Re: Frankenfood or how cabbage got crossed with scorpions #37945
10/11/00 12:55 PM
10/11/00 12:55 PM
C
Catherine  Offline
Charter Member
Veteran Member
Michigan, USA
Wouldn't you say that this genetic engineering that is now being done is pretty much the same as the "amalgamation" that Sister White tells about? One of the very crimes for which God destroyed the antediluvians!

------------------
The Lord is the strength of my life and my portion forever.

Re: Frankenfood or how cabbage got crossed with scorpions #37946
10/11/00 05:57 PM
10/11/00 05:57 PM
L
Linda Sutton  Offline OP
Charter Member
2500+ Member
USA
quote:
But if there was one sin above another which called for the destruction of the race by the flood, it was the base crime of amalgamation of man and beast which defaced the image of God, and caused confusion everywhere. God purposed to destroy by a flood that powerful, long-lived race that had corrupted their ways before him. He would not suffer them to live out the days of their natural life, which would be hundreds of years. It was only a few generations back when Adam had access to that tree which was to prolong life. After his disobedience he was not suffered to eat of the tree of life and perpetuate a life of sin. In order for man to possess an endless life he must continue to eat of the fruit of the tree of life. Deprived of that tree, his life would gradually wear out. {1SP 69.1}

I truly believe that we have reached that time that Jesus told us would come when it would be like the days of Noah. I never saw the film Jurassic Park but according to what little I have read about it, it was about cloning dinosaurs. Mention of the movie often comes up in discussions of cloning (another form of genetic engineering) and GM foods as if it is somehow a harbinger of what may happen if we keep tampering where we ought not. Should God let this continue for long, I belive that we would indeed destroy ourselves. There will be such confusion between man, plant and animal, that biodiversity will decline to the point of extinction of all life on this planet. We know that God has promised to put an end to it.

Brave new world? How about frightening, terrifying, startling, new world? God destroyed the Noachian world because they had destroyed the image of God in man. Today we are working on the same thing. We're playing God and combining things that were never meant to be together. We are putting our whole future at risk for the sake of greed. You've heard about the golden rule: he who has the gold rules? it seems true in this case. Those who care about what is happening and want to see frankenfoods labeled at the very least (the ones without the gold), are told they are overreacting, there is nothing to fear (by the ones with the gold).

Perhaps we should make David's prayer our prayer:

quote:
Satan is not asleep; he is wide awake to make of no effect the sure word of prophecy. With skill and deceptive power he is working to counterwork the expressed will of God, made plain in His word. For years Satan has been gaining control of human minds through subtle sophistries that he has devised to take the place of the truth. In this time of peril, rightdoers, in the fear of God, will glorify His name by repeating the words of David: "It is time for Thee, Lord, to work: for they have made void Thy law." Psalm 119:126. {9T 92.2}

In the exercise of the longsuffering of God, He gives to nations a certain period of probation, but there is a point which, if they pass, there will be the visitation of God in His indignation. He will punish. The world has been advancing from one degree of contempt for God's law to another, and the prayer may be appropriate at this time, "It is time for thee, Lord, to work: for they have made void thy law" (Ps. 119:126). . . . {3SM 396.3}

For years Satan has been gaining control of human minds through subtle sophistries that he has devised to take the place of the truth. In this time of peril, rightdoers, in the fear of God, will glorify His name by repeating the words of David, "It is time for thee, Lord, to work: for they have made void thy law." {HP 345.3}

Kate, if you would email me the websites you find, I will place them in the websites topic. Thank-you

[This message has been edited by Linda Sutton (edited October 11, 2000).]

Re: Frankenfood or how cabbage got crossed with scorpions #37947
10/12/00 10:11 PM
10/12/00 10:11 PM
L
Linda Sutton  Offline OP
Charter Member
2500+ Member
USA
LIST OF GENETICALLY ALTERED FOODS (36)

Canola
1997-- Glufosinate Tolerant Canola - Agrevo, Inc.
Phosphinothricin acetyltransferase gene from Streptomyces viridochromogenes.

1995-- Glufosinate Tolerant Canola - Agrevo, Inc.

1995-- Laurate Canola - Calgene Inc.
The 12:0 acyl carrier protein thiosesterase gene from California bay, Umbellularia californica.

1995-- Glyphosate Tolerant Canola - Monsanto Co.
Enolpyruvylshikimate-3-phosphate synthase gene from Agrobacterium sp. strain CP4.

Corn
1998-- Glufosinate Tolerant Corn - Agrevo, INC.

1998-- Glyphosate Tolerant Corn - Monsanto Co.
The enolpyruvylshikimate-3-phosphate synthase gene from Agrobacterium sp. strain CP4.

1997-- Insect Protected Corn - Dekalb Genetics Corp.
The cryIA (c) gene from Bacillus thuringiensis.

1996-- Glufosinate Tolerant Corn - Dekalb Genetics Corp.
Phosphinothricin acetyl transferase gene from Streptomyces hygroscopicus.

1996-- Insect Protected Corn - Monsanto Co.
The cryIA (b) gene from Bacillus thuringiensis subsp. kurstaki

1996-- Glyphosate Tolerant/ Insect Protected Corn - Monsato Co.
The enolpyruvylshikimate-3-phosphate synthase gene from Agrobacterium sp. strain CP4 and the glyphosate oxidoreductase gene from Ochrobactrum anthropi in the glyphosate tolerant lines. The CryIA (b) gene from Bacillus thuringiensis subsp.kurstaki in lines that are also insect protected.

1996-- Insect Protected Corn - Northrup King
The cryIA (b) gene from Bacillus thuringiensis (Bt) subsp. kurstaki.

1996-- Male Sterile Corn - Plant Genetic Systems
The barnase gene from Bacillus amyloliquefaciens.

1995-- Glufosinate Tolerant Corn - Agrevo Inc.
Phosphinothricin acetyltransferase gene from Streptomyces viridochrogenes.

1995-- Insect Protected Corn - Ciba-Geigy Corp.
The cryIA (b) gene from Bacillus thuringiensis kurstaki

Cotton
1998-- Bromoxynil Tolerant/ Insect Protected Cotton - Calgene Co.
Nitrilase gene from Klebsiella pneumoniae and the cryIA(c) gene from Bacillus thursingiensis subsp. kurstaki.

1996-- Sulfonylurea Tolerant Cotton - Dupont.
Acetolactate synthase gene from tobacco, Nicotiana tabacum cv. Xanthi.

1996-- Glyphosate Tolerant Cotton - Monsanto Co.
Enolpyruvylshikimate-3-phosphate synthase gene from Agrobacterium sp. strain CP4.

1996-- Insect Protected Cotton - Monsanto Co.
The cryIA(c) from Bacillus thuringiensis (Bt) subsp. kurstaki.

1996-- Bromoxynil Tolerant Cotton - Calegene Inc.
A nitrilase gene isolated from Klebsiella ozaenae.

Flax
1998-- Sulfonylurea Tolerant Flax - University of Saskatchewan
Acetolactate synthase gene from Arabidopsis.

Papaya
1997-- Virus Resistant Papaya - University of Hawaii and Cornell University
Coat protein gene of the Papaya ringspot virus.

Potato
1998-- Insect and Virus Protected Potato - Monsanto Co.
The cryIIIA gene from Bacillus thuringiensis (Bt) sp. tenebrionis and the Potato Leafroll Virus replicase gene.

1996-- Insect Protected Potato - Monsanto Co.
The cryIIIA gene from Bacillus thuringiensis.

1994-- Insect Protected Potato - Monsanto Co.
The cryIIIA gene from Bacillus thuringiensis (Bt) sp. tenebrionis.

Radicchio Rosso
1997-- Male Sterile Radicchio Rosso - Bejo Zaden BV
The barnase gene from Bacillus amyloliquefaciens.

Rapeseed
1996-- Male Sterile/ Fertility Restorer Oilseed Rape - Plant Genetic Systems
The male sterile oilseed rape contains the barnase gene from the Bacillus amyloliquefaciens; the fertility restorer lines express the barstar gene from Bacillus amyloliquefaciens.

Soybean
1997-- High Oleic Acid Soybean - Dupont.
Sense suppression of the GmFad2-1 gene which encodes a delta-12 desaturase enzyme.

1994--Glyphosate Tolerant Soybean - Monsanto Co.

Squash
1997-- Virus resistant squash - Seminis Vegetable Seeds.
Coat protein genes of cucumber mosaic virus, zucchini yellow mosaic virus, and watermelon mosaic virus 2.

1994-- Virus resistant squash - Asgrow Seed Co.
Coat protein genes of watermelon mosaic virus 2 and zucchini yellow mosaic virus.

Tomato
1998-- Insect Protected Tomato - Calgene Co.
The cryIA(c) gene from Bacillus thuringiensis subsp. kurstaki.

1996-- Modified Fruit Ripening Tomato - Agritope Inc.
S-adenosylmethionine hydrolase gene from E. coli bacteriophage T3.

1994-- FLAVR SAVR Tomato - Calgene Inc.
Antisense polygalacturonase gene from tomato.

1994-- Improved Ripening Tomato - DNA Plant Technology
A fragment of the aminocyclopropane carboxylic acid synthase gene from tomato.

1994-- Improved Ripening Tomato - Monsanto Co.
Aminocyclopropane carboxylic acid deaminase gene from Pseudomonas chloraphis strain 6G5.

1994-- Delayed Softening Tomato - Zeneca Plant Science.
A fragment of the polygalacturonase gene from tomato.

I have a second list which includes sugarbeets which are not on this list, otherwise it seem to be the same. Unless labeling is made mandatory in the US and Canada, we can't know when we are getting GM products and when we are not.

------------------

Re: Frankenfood or how cabbage got crossed with scorpions #37948
10/12/00 10:12 PM
10/12/00 10:12 PM
L
Linda Sutton  Offline OP
Charter Member
2500+ Member
USA
More tidbits about genetically altered food.

The second one is especially disturbing because of where the work is being done:

quote:
(AP) Safeway Inc. has removed taco shells from its stores after tests showed they may contain a variety of genetically engineered corn that isn't approved for food use.

It is the same biotech corn that prompted a nationwide recall of taco shells Sept. 22 by Kraft Foods. Safeway pulled its shells Wednesday night after learning of the test results that were performed for a coalition of environmental groups that are opposed to biotech food.

"In something like this we're very close to our customers and we wanted to act out of an abundance of caution," Safeway spokesman Brian Dowling said Thursday.

The Kraft and Safeway taco shells were produced by different manufacturers but contained the same variety of corn developed by Aventis CropScience. Safeway's product was made by Mission Foods Co. of Irving, Texas.

Safeway's action applied to shells sold under both its private label and the Mission name. Customers who purchased the shells are being offered refunds. Safeway had been assured by Mission Foods that the corn was not in its products, Dowling said. Officials with Mission Foods did not immediately return phone calls Thursday.

Taters for tots provide an edible vaccine.(genetic engineering produces potato that acts as cholera vaccine)(Brief Article)
Issue: March 7, 1998

Consider the versatile potato. Even most children consume it in at least some form--baked, mashed, French fried, the list goes on. Now, molecular biologists predict that through genetic engineering they can turn spuds into the darling of the medical world: low-cost, nutritious vaccines.

William H.R. Langridge and his coworkers at Loma Linda (Calif.) University School of Medicine say they have inserted into potatoes a gene that enables the tuber to make a nontoxic component of the cholera toxin. The research could lead to protection against a scourge that afflicts 5 million people annually, they assert.

A dazzling upside to biotech foods can be found in the greenhouses at Cornell University in Ithaca, N.Y.

There, Charles Arntzen is growing plants to vaccinate the world. For example, in a batch of tomatoes, he has gene-spliced a virus that makes the fruit make medicine.

In other words, Arntzen says, the vaccine is inside the fruit itself. "It's a manufacturing system. As that fruit develops every cell is manufacturing vaccines."

The vaccine in Arntzen's tomatoes will treat diarrhea, a disease that kills 2.5 million people a year. But he is also growing the potential cures for malaria, cholera and hepatitis B. Very soon Third World children may not need shots. They'll eat biotech tomatoes or bananas instead.

"I definitely see the day when children in the developing world will eat a banana chip, and in that chip will be the vaccine."

I'm adding some new websites about GM food to the websites topic for those who want to find out more.

[This message has been edited by Linda Sutton (edited October 12, 2000).]

Re: Frankenfood or how cabbage got crossed with scorpions #37949
10/17/00 01:01 AM
10/17/00 01:01 AM
Gerry Buck  Offline
Charter Member
Very Dedicated Member
Benton Harbor, Mi.
I think now would be a good time to go on an extended diet.

------------------
What is popular is not always right.
What is right is not always popular.

Gerry B.

Re: Frankenfood or how cabbage got crossed with scorpions #37950
11/21/00 02:36 AM
11/21/00 02:36 AM
C
Catherine  Offline
Charter Member
Veteran Member
Michigan, USA
North Farm Cooperative natural foods distributor featured an article about genetic engineering in the December issue of their newsletter. I will share portions of the article here as I have time. In the meantime, the following book was reviewed and recommended by them as a helpful resource for those concerned with this issue.
Genetically Engineered Food: A Self-Defense Guide for Consumers

Authors: Ronnie Cummins is the national director of OCA, the Organic Consumers Association… and the editor of BioDemocracy News, a monthly online newsletter devoted to genetic engineering, factory farming and organics. Ben Lilliston is a writer on health and the environment and is the communications coordinator for the Institute for Agriculture and Trade Policy in Minneapolis.

Reviewer Norma Woods states:

"This book is definitely 'biased', even 'alarmist'. It frequently refers to genetically altered foods as 'Frankenfoods', an allusion to Frankenstein. The authors have stated two primary objectives in writing the book: 'to help you to clearly understand why you should be concerned about purchasing or consuming genetically engineered foods' and to 'alert you to the risks genetically engineered crops are posing to the environment.'

I think the book is an excellent overview of the real and potential dangers of genetically engineered food and other products of biotechnology which we are consuming with increasing frequency. It is chock-full of facts and presents a coherent statement against the propaganda of the biotech industry."

------------------
The Lord is the strength of my life and my portion forever.

Re: Frankenfood or how cabbage got crossed with scorpions #37951
12/17/00 06:31 PM
12/17/00 06:31 PM
L
Linda Sutton  Offline OP
Charter Member
2500+ Member
USA
The latest list of genetically modified crops has been posted by the FDA at http://vm.cfsan.fda.gov/~lrd/biocon.html

------------------

Re: Frankenfood or how cabbage got crossed with scorpions #37952
12/17/00 11:28 PM
12/17/00 11:28 PM
Daryl  Online Canadian

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
I thought I heard on the news a few days ago that the complete genetic make-up of a plant has been dteremined which will have nutritional values.

I mentioned this at last Friday evening's Vespers and learned from Lorelei [She is also a member of MSDAOL.] that the complete genetic make-up of a human being had been determined several months ago. Correct me, if necessary, or add to this Lorelei.

This reminded me of the fact that mankind now has the same capability to do what they did prior to The Flood which were one of the key factors that brought about The Flood.

than to receive. (Acts 20:35)

Daryl

Re: Frankenfood or how cabbage got crossed with scorpions #37953
12/19/00 05:15 AM
12/19/00 05:15 AM
L
Linda Sutton  Offline OP
Charter Member
2500+ Member
USA
I was quite certain that the Human Genome Project was not yet completed, but I wanted to find the information to be sure. News that came out last summer is probably what has made some people think it is complete.

The project is not due for completion until 2003. But last summer a "working draft" was released. Her is how the Encarta Encyclopedia (online) describes a "working draft."

quote:
Item: In early April, the papers carry a story about the Monsanto Corporation's having arrived at "a working draft" of the genetic code of the rice plant. Obviously, if rice, which is eaten regularly by most people in the world, can be redesigned in ways to make it hardier, healthier, or tastier, it will do a lot of people good (in addition to making Monsanto a lot of money). What does a "working draft" involve? "By analogy," a researcher is quoted as saying, "think of an encyclopedia of how to construct a rice plant made up of 100 volumes, each with 1,000 pages and with 1,000 words to a page." Monsanto printed out all these pages, albeit with some errors and gaps. The volumes contain the information, the information is vast, and this information constructs the rice plant. Q.E.D.

There are estimated to be 50,000 to 100,000 genes in the human genome according to the Project. To date, as far as I can find, only about 35,000 of those genes have been identified. The project is still incomplete. But enough is known for man to be able to wreck havoc with human minds and bodies, and perhaps do some good.

------------------

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/15/24 09:27 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!