HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,596
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 14
kland 9
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, ProdigalOne, TruthinTypes, 2 invisible), 2,974 guests, and 8 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Grains . . . Cook'em, Cook'em, Cook'em #37998
01/04/01 04:59 AM
01/04/01 04:59 AM
L
Linda Sutton  Offline OP
Charter Member
2500+ Member
USA
A WORD ABOUT COOKING GRAINS
The following article is reprinted from Emphasis Your Health, The Health Journal of Uchee Pines, Spring 1993 issue.
quote:
Grains . . .
Cook'em Cook'em Cook'em

For almost 100 years Seventh-day Adventist have had the advantage of knowing that grains used For cereal or mush should have several hours cooking. Ministry of Healing in 1905, page 301, told of this important health principle, Those who have accepted this principle as a way of life and cooked their grains a long time have, all unknown to them, received a benefit.

In 1968 Volkheimer reported Finding starch granules in blood, urine, bile, and human milk after the subject had drunk a suspension of water and raw starch.

In recent years the radiologists have been able to tell us of tiny lacunar scars present in the brains of all people over the age of 30. the source of these scars has not been clearly explained by medical science, but there are some who believe these scars to result from the intake of inadequately cooked starch. Again in Medical Hypothesis (1991) 35:85-87, in an article written big B. J. Freedman, of the Longman Group in the United Kingdom, the theory was put forth that these scars may have a relationship to intact starch granules.

It was shown that incompletely hydrolized (cooked) starch could pass through the intestinal wall and enter the general blood circulation. The starch granules remain some what intact getting smaller and smaller if they have not been cooked at boiling temperature long enough in the presence of water. Some of these granules travel into the smallest of the arteries called arterioles, and the tiniest of all blood vessels, the capillaries.

In most organs the circulation Iying next to the blocked capillary or arteriole suffices for continued function. In the brain, however, neurons may be lost as blood vessels are plugged by intact starch granules. Over many decades the neuronal loss could be of importance to the individual, being sufficient to cause reduction in thinking processes.

To test his hypothesis Dr. Freedman examined tissues with a polarizing microscope which clearly distinguishes starch granules from other objects.

In his article, he showed a mechanism for the process of taking in starch granules through the intestinal wall. He fed starch to rats and demonstrated the presence of starch granules between two villi in the small intestine, then between epithelial cells in the area just below the surface of the cells.

The next photograph showed the starch granules in the layer just beneath the surface called the subepithelial layer. The Final photograph showed intact starch granules actually inside a mesenteric vessel.

Other organs believed to be damaged besides the brain are bones (possibly resulting in osteoporosis), adrenals, (possibly resulting In stress or fatigue), muscles, joints, and lymph
nodes.

Almost 20 years ago we ran on experiment at Uchee Pines in which we cooked rolled oats, corn grits, whole grain rice, whole grain wheat, and cracked wheat. We tested each of these grains during boiling at 10 minutes, 30 minutes, 2 hours, 3 hours, and 4 hours. The rolled oats showed complete hydrolysis of the starch (breaking down into fully digestible portions) in 90 minutes. The corn grits required 3 hours for hydrolysis, and the other grains between two and three hours.

While not all people are as susceptible to damage from any one transgression of health laws as others constructed differently might be, none of us is aware of which one of these health laws our transgression might result in serious injury to mind or health. One person may break down in the blood pressure, another in the blood sugar area, another with lupus or Alzheimer's, and yet another with a heart attack, it behooves each of us to use care in all areas of counsel from our all wise creator.

We can be confident in the love or our Creator as we see those things which He has done to make our lives more healthy and happy.

Dr. Agatha Thrash

"Grains used For porridge or 'mush' should have several hours' cooking." Ministry of Healing, page 301.

Re: Grains . . . Cook'em, Cook'em, Cook'em #37999
01/04/01 08:25 PM
01/04/01 08:25 PM
Daryl  Offline

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
A most interesting article, Linda!

I must show this to my wife!

Daryl

Re: Grains . . . Cook'em, Cook'em, Cook'em #38000
01/16/01 06:59 PM
01/16/01 06:59 PM
Daryl  Offline

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
My wife is asking the following questions:

What about placing raw oatmeal in patties? They don't get long cooking time.

How long should brown rice be cooked?

Romans 8:28

Daryl

Re: Grains . . . Cook'em, Cook'em, Cook'em #38001
01/17/01 05:12 AM
01/17/01 05:12 AM
L
Linda Sutton  Offline OP
Charter Member
2500+ Member
USA
Something the Dr. Thrash taught and which I also learned at Wildwood is that grains can be dextrinized--that is, they can be placed in a dry skillet over medium high heat and lightly browned. You must stir constantly or it will burn. This method breaks down the starches and permits faster cooking time. It may affect the texture and/or flavoer slightly, but it works.

If I recall correctly, baking, which is done at higher heats than can be achieved by boiling, also breaks down the starches more quickly, thus if patties are baked in the oven, they will be done in a shorter time. If in doubt, dextrinize the grain before mixing in.

------------------

Re: Grains . . . Cook'em, Cook'em, Cook'em #38002
01/22/01 10:37 PM
01/22/01 10:37 PM
Daryl  Offline

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
I received the following in reply to my email:

quote:

Subject:
long cooking time of grains
Date:
Mon, 22 Jan 2001 15:51:54 -0500
Uchee Pines
To:
dfawcett@nbnet.nb.ca

Usually after we have discussed long cooking time of grains we get the question about waffles or popcorn. The effect of browning bread, even, and waffles causes a chain reaction change in the starch molecules that
is the equivalent of long cooking times. So the patties would be in that class...they are browned. The popcorn of course is heated so high which is what makes it explode and again it is the equivalent of long cooking time.
According to JoAnn Rachor, in her cookbook O
"Of These Ye May Freely Eat", brown rice should be cooked 2-3 hours. We teach our cooking classes with this cookbook. Of course in a crock pot is the easiest, although we also just put it in the oven and bake it unattended too.

Helena Tolis, Lifestyle Counselor
Uchee Pines Lifestyle Center
lifestylecenter@ucheepines.org

Daryl

Re: Grains . . . Cook'em, Cook'em, Cook'em #38003
03/23/01 01:26 AM
03/23/01 01:26 AM
C
Catherine  Offline
Charter Member
Veteran Member
Michigan, USA
Something I have been wondering about lately is starchy root vegetables. I am thinking in particularly of carrots, which I love either raw or cooked. Is there a difference between their starch and that of grains? Or does eating raw carrots produce the same kinds of problems?

------------------
The Lord is the strength of my life and my portion forever.

Re: Grains . . . Cook'em, Cook'em, Cook'em #38004
03/24/01 12:57 PM
03/24/01 12:57 PM
Gerry Buck  Offline
Charter Member
Very Dedicated Member
Benton Harbor, Mi.
When I talked to a nitritionist at the VA hospital, she said that carrots cause the same problems that other starchy foods, such as potatoes or rice, etc., do.
She also told me to eat sparingly of them raw or cooked.
Being a tubor, I don't think it would produce the same results as undercooking rice, wheat, millet, etc.

Re: Grains . . . Cook'em, Cook'em, Cook'em #38005
11/06/01 08:48 PM
11/06/01 08:48 PM
zyph  Offline
Dedicated Member
Australia
Linda, is there a definitive answer on the starchy vegetables and cooking times? And do you think, based on previous posts, that 90 minutes is definitely sufficient for rolled oats? Or should they be cooked for the full three hours?

Re: Grains . . . Cook'em, Cook'em, Cook'em #38006
11/06/01 11:22 PM
11/06/01 11:22 PM
L
Linda Sutton  Offline OP
Charter Member
2500+ Member
USA
I don't know what difference there is between the starches of vegetables and of grains. Obviously, if you try to cook vegetables for 3 hours, you'll wind up with tasteless mush!

My search of the what EGW says speaks of cooked vegetables. She does say that fruit is best eaten fresh when possible.

Zyph, to lessen the cooking time of any grain, place it in a dry skillet over medium heat and stir constantly until it begins to turn golden in color. This heats the grain to a temperature that breaks down the starch. (It could also be done in the oven.) Then cook the grain as usual which for oatmeal would be about 5 - 10 minutes. Browning in a skillet tends to give it a slightly nutty taste and takes only a few minutes to do.

------------------
Jesus is the joy of living

Linda

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/25/24 09:37 AM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 04/01/24 08:10 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 04/24/24 02:15 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!