HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,597
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 14
kland 9
Daryl 3
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (Karen Y, Daryl, dedication, 1 invisible), 3,252 guests, and 14 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Mad Cow Disease Found in Washington State #38256
12/26/03 03:39 AM
12/26/03 03:39 AM
Daryl  Online Canadian

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
It has been confirmed that the USA has its first case of Mad Cow Disease.

It will be interesting to see how this now affects the beef importing and exporting between Canada and the USA.

Re: Mad Cow Disease Found in Washington State #38257
12/27/03 12:02 PM
12/27/03 12:02 PM
Avalee  Offline
Charter Member
Active Member 2014

Most Dedicated Member
Northern CA
Listening to the news talk about this (and they are sure doing alot of it) what I hear coming out the loudest is that no ones needs to worry about eating meat. They keep saying over and over that the meat supply is ok and not to worry. Yea right!!! All they are afraid of is losing all that money because of this. What a shame.

Re: Mad Cow Disease Found in Washington State #38258
12/27/03 05:05 PM
12/27/03 05:05 PM
J. R. Layman  Offline
Charter Member
Lubbock, GREAT State of TEJAS,...
Daryl, before you get tired, over your GLOATING over the discomfort of the United States, about one cow we’ve found with “mad cow disease.” re:”Yes, Canada should rightfully have the same health concerns that the USA claimed.”

You may wish to consider the following report!

Investigators Trace Diseased Cow to Canada

Dec 27, 11:28 AM (ET)

WASHINGTON (AP) - The Holstein infected with mad cow disease in Washington state was imported into the United States from Canada about two years ago, federal investigators tentatively concluded Saturday.

Dr. Ron DeHaven, chief veterinarian for the Agriculture Department, said Canadian officials have provided records that indicate the animal was one of a herd of 74 cattle that were shipped from Alberta, Canada, into this country at Eastport, Idaho.

"These animals were all dairy cattle and entered the U.S. only about two or two-and-a-half years ago, so most of them are still likely alive," DeHaven said.

He emphasized that just because the sick cow was a member of that herd, it does not mean that all 74 animals are infected.

Based on the Canadian records, the cow was 6 1/2-years-old - older than U.S. officials had thought,

DeHaven said. U.S. papers on the cow said she was 4- or 4 1/2-years-old.

The age is significant because the United States and Canada have banned feed that could be the source of infection since 1997.

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20031227/D7VMR6I80.html

Re: Mad Cow Disease Found in Washington State #38259
12/27/03 05:43 PM
12/27/03 05:43 PM
Daryl  Online Canadian

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
I am not gloating, however, the fact still remains that a cow has been diagnosed with Mad Cow disease within the continental USA.

And yes, both Canada and the USA and the rest of the world should have the same health concerns.

Re: Mad Cow Disease Found in Washington State #38260
12/27/03 07:26 PM
12/27/03 07:26 PM
J. R. Layman  Offline
Charter Member
quote:
Originally posted by Daryl Fawcett:
I am not gloating,

Hmmmmm, one might have guessed differently. As each of your 4 post on this subject appear to somehow be either comparing the U.S. vs. Canada...or remarking about internal American politics. (leaving un-said, comparable political decisions made by Canada)

The Americaphobia you demonstrate IMO is quite palatable (but then, that's so TYPICALLY Canadian!)

[Big Grin] [Razz] [Big Grin]

Re: Mad Cow Disease Found in Washington State #38261
12/27/03 09:26 PM
12/27/03 09:26 PM
Daryl  Online Canadian

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
Yes, I was doing some comparing, especially where the USA was so quick to close its border with Canada saying it was only an isolated case, and now the USA is saying the same thing, hoping that Canada and other countries wouldn't do to the USA as the USA did to Canada.

What is good for the goose is also good for the gander. [Big Grin]

Re: Mad Cow Disease Found in Washington State #38262
12/28/03 07:33 AM
12/28/03 07:33 AM
D
Dora  Offline
Charter Member
Active Member 2013
Veteran Member
USA
I, personally, saw Daryl's comments as simply information and concern, he certainly did not seem to be "GLOATING!" I appreciate the information, especially to a group of people who hopefully, are mostly vegetarians, or, if not, will soon decide to be with this news!!

It would be pretty ignorant and/or cruel for ANYONE, ANYWHERE, to be "GLOATING" about such a potentially dangerous situation.

I was also reading that the amount of money "gained" by using this suspect cow, can actually snowball into more financial loss than can be imagined. And, that is not even taking into account the danger to health and life. The USA, or any country is so wrong to knowingly put the majority of people at risk.

I have heard a few "meat eaters" state, though, that they were not eating any more beef. (Of course, that is for now, anyway!)

Re: Mad Cow Disease Found in Washington State #38263
12/28/03 03:53 PM
12/28/03 03:53 PM
R
rhammen  Offline
Everett, WA USA
Politics, right or wrong, tends to divide, doesn't it?

If we are going to fight, it should be about moral issues not whether or not the US or Canada are just interested in self preservation. All countries are basically fueled by one thing-- money.

It's about time the beef, pork, poultry and all other meat industries take a big hit. We spend billions (some countries) on cleaning human waste, but most animal waste goes untreated and runs off into our rivers and lakes.

If are poultry factory moves into your neighborhood, you better plan on selling your home.

I feel sorry for the individual farmers who suffer when these things happen, but I rejoice
when the meat industry looses a little prestige.

Mad cow disease is no joke. Ask the British families who have suffered its ill effects. E-coli poisoning is no joke either.

Let's look at the positive side. EGWhite said that if flesh eating was ever safe, it isn't now. How about 100 years after her statements? We should be saying, "We told you so?" But we can't because we haven't.

When I get a chance to talk about this issue I'll just say, "Chalk up one more for vegetarianism."

Richard

Re: Mad Cow Disease Found in Washington State #38264
12/28/03 07:58 PM
12/28/03 07:58 PM
A
Andrew Marttinen  Offline
Pastor
Dedicated Member
Carleton Place, Ontario, Canad...
I have worked as a pastor out West (Manitoba and Saskatchewan) where most of the members are cattle farmers. Their profit margins are razor thin. They have had to endure drought, the cutting down of the bigger trees in the forest (many work in the bush during the winter months), emptying towns and now this. One year in Hudson Bay Junction, Saskatchewan, we had several suicides. They were farmers who saw no hope...

Of course, we're here to give them hope. But churches depend on strong, basically balanced and happy members to keep them going. Unfortunately they were and are falling over like dominoes because the members become too old and the younger ones move out West or go to the States where the jobs are. (While I'm complaining, let us not forget part of my job was to make sure the teenagers and young adults who are being groomed to take over chruch leadership left for the our Western boarding school). The conference president in the 1990's called some of us pastors together and brought up the idea of home churches because the buildings were emtying so quickly. My local ministerium said that all of their members and denomination leaderships were dealing with the same thing--so it can't be doctrine or lack of vision in the local church that can be blamed for the general trend.

Mad Cow may be the straw that breaks the camel's back--ironically in Iraq and Iran, the land of the camel (and falafel vendors), they're dealing with some of their own problems...

Re: Mad Cow Disease Found in Washington State #38265
12/29/03 05:29 AM
12/29/03 05:29 AM
J. R. Layman  Offline
Charter Member
FWIW Dora, when someone says “What is good for the goose is also good for the gander.” In an UNCALLED for remark, comparing their individual countries…it certainly sounds like “GLOATING” over the difficulties that may be encountered by the United States! I can’t recall anyone here putting down Canada, when Canada had a “mad cow disease” scare several months ago.

Actually I’m not surprised by Daryl’s demeanor….it’s a TYPICAL Canadian response in some quarters. . For some reason, some Canadians seem to enjoy seeing the United States have difficulties. And the theme of Daryl’s several remarks on this subject clearly indicated his rather inept attempts to “rub it in” so to speak.

OTOH….he should have taken into consideration the apparent FACT, that this sole incident…..ORIGINATED IN CANADA, before he opened his trap and inserted his foot!

Andrew…..good to see you and hear your well seasoned remarks.

Likewise, although this region isn’t heavy on cattle, (although we do have several feed lots around). Primarily we’re a cotton (the largest cotton growing region in the United States!) and now (in the last 20 years) peanut growing region. It’s amazing to pass by the countryside and see every section or so, a group of trees, and perhaps even the remnants of a farmhouse. These indicate the previous economy of almost subsistence farming on 180 acres…….

I did note an article in today’s paper. A “farmer” out in California’s Central Valley, is selling out his farm for 1.5 million dollars. Seems that selling the “water rights” which his family attached to his farm 90 some years ago, makes it more productive to sell his water rights to the city of Los Angeles and cease farming!

Now with large machinery, one farmer around here can make a solid living, raising cotton on 500 to 2500 acres, with perhaps only one helper.

I’m not saying it’s good or bad, simply that it’s a fact of life, that farming is changing along with the total economy. Whilst it is thought that our local economy is dependent on aquaculture, the fact remains that in raw new dollars coming into this city of 200,000. That Medical Services is the largest generator of new $$$, and that a second generator is telephone call service centers. Manufacturing, wholesale and retail commerce probably come in, in equal proportions to agriculture.. And your right….the small towns are simply drying up……there aren’t any population centers of significance for 150 miles either north or south, and for almost 350 miles to the east or west!

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/25/24 09:37 AM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 04/24/24 02:15 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!