HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,617
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 21
kland 9
Daryl 4
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, Kevin H, Daryl, 2 invisible), 3,354 guests, and 23 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Mad Cow Disease Found in Washington State #38276
12/30/03 10:59 PM
12/30/03 10:59 PM
J. R. Layman  Offline
Charter Member
Lubbock, GREAT State of TEJAS,...
Dora:

RE:
quote:
I do not mean this as being argumentative................ I have no quarrel with you eating meat if you like,
I DON'T, I'm a VEGIN, and one thing I really DON'T LIKE is dead cow! (unless I go to Seattle or Victoria B.C. on a visit, then I'm a seafood nut [Big Grin] .........I hope no one here has the stupidity to suggest that Christ didn't eat FISH!)

I just get a tad TIRED when someone uses BAD SCIENCE, QUOTES OUT OF CONTEXT, to come up with BAD THEOLOGY, and make things into SINS.....when they have NO SCRIPTURAL or SOP basis for doing so!

[ December 30, 2003, 07:34 PM: Message edited by: J. R. Layman ]

Re: Mad Cow Disease Found in Washington State #38277
12/31/03 02:18 AM
12/31/03 02:18 AM
Ikan  Offline
Very Dedicated Member
Plowing
JR: read the whole quote:
"Greater reforms should be seen among the people who claim to be looking for the soon appearing of Christ. Health reform is to do among our people a work which it has not yet done. There are those who ought to be awake to the danger of meat eating, who are still eating the flesh of animals, thus endangering the physical, mental, and spiritual health. Many who are now only half converted on the question of meat eating will go from God's people to walk no more with them." {CD 382.1} This was 1902.

Now her term "half converted" could mean part time vegans, right? She says meat, not beef.
Sin is also doing things that you like when you know God has instructed that for your generation (in our case the last highly polluted and toxic generation) that eating dead animals is dangerous, even spiritually.

If you wish to pick and choose what you want to believe, you have every right to live your life as you like. Only you have you to answer for.

However, for me not to side with the FACTS in the Advent Message just to justify my own tastes would be for me sin.

Oh, I have read your forum, understand your reasonings and do not wish to joust, spar,duel, or debate with you. If that makes me "chicken" in your eyes, so be it.

(fixed "joist" to "joust"...I would never make a feudal carpenter, would I?)

[ January 01, 2004, 12:22 AM: Message edited by: Ikan ]

Re: Mad Cow Disease Found in Washington State #38278
12/31/03 03:50 AM
12/31/03 03:50 AM
John H.  Offline
Most Dedicated Member
North Carolina, USA
We're supposed to be preparing to go to heaven, right? In heaven there will be no meat eating. So it's a great idea to get accustomed to that lifestyle now, isn't it?

Years ago when I was a new SDA I had this same question, Is it a sin for an SDA to eat meat. So I wrote to the late Bro. Joe Crews of Amazing Facts, a man I admired (and still admire) greatly, about this and some other questions I had.

Part of his response:

quote:
A final statement about Sister White's counsel on meat eating. Neither she nor the Seventh-day Adventist church have made meat eating a moral issue involving sin. In other words, to eat it per se does not involve an act of sin; but I think we need to remind outselves that with the additional light available to Seventh-day Adventists and the additional knowledge of the contamination of meat, etc., it certainly would be a sin for me to eat it, and probably for most of our people who have this knowledge. I would not call meat eating a sin for anyone, but I would call it a sin for myself, because of my convictions about its affect on the body.
That advice from Pastor Joe seems totally in line with the Bible and SOP to me.

"Therefore to him that knoweth to do good, and doeth it not, to him it is sin." James 4:17.

Re: Mad Cow Disease Found in Washington State #38279
12/31/03 06:44 PM
12/31/03 06:44 PM
E
Edwin O Owino  Offline
Posting New Member
Nairobi, Kenya
Regarding health reform, a recent survey in Kenya found out that meat and milk contain unacceptable levels of antibiotics, though I have very little knowledge of medicine, the residual antibiotics apparently increases the resistance of the bacteria to medicine and therefore makes the bacteria deadlier.

Blessings,
EDWIN

Re: Mad Cow Disease Found in Washington State #38280
01/01/04 04:38 AM
01/01/04 04:38 AM
J. R. Layman  Offline
Charter Member
Great publicity for Seventh Day Adventist here in the Baltimore Sun, [Big Grin]

Better then spouting off BAD SCIENCE.....BTW did any of you notice that it's TWICE as likely to kill you in the United States in taking a bath in a bathtub...then eating DEAD COW and geting CJD? [Big Grin]

Sportsmen enjoy rare Sunday of deer hunting
One-day reprieve granted, lifting state ban imposed during the Colonial era

Baltimore Sun
Chris Guy
Published on December 1, 2003
© 2003- The Baltimore Sun

quote:
WITTMAN (Md.) -- Michael Spencer and his 16-year-old son, Sean, weren't looking to make history when they drove down to the Eastern Shore from their Montgomery County home yesterday. But if the first Sunday of deer hunting in Maryland in 280 years was designed for anyone, it seemed perfect for them.

As Seventh-day Adventists, who celebrate the Sabbath on Saturdays, the Spencers, who live in Silver Spring, went to church on the opening day of deer season. This year though, like thousands of other hunters, they got in weekend shooting by taking advantage of a one-day reprieve from a state law that has banned Sunday hunting since the Colonial era.

"Ordinarily, we'd have to hunt on a weekday," said the elder Spencer, who stopped for breakfast at Wittman's Market in this Talbot County crossroads. "I bought a share of a lease to hunt on some private property down here this year, so this was ideal. It's really a great opportunity for us to come down and do something together."

The change in rules, sought for years by sportsmen, was approved by state lawmakers last spring.

For the Rev. Robert Kirkley, a Methodist minister since 1952 and an avid hunter for nearly 60 years, the Sunday hunting ban represented the last vestige of Maryland's blue law restrictions on Sunday activities, rules that were all but eliminated in the 1980s. Kirkley was preaching yesterday, after spending all day Saturday in an unsuccessful attempt to bag a deer.

"I think it's an antiquated idea," said Kirkley, who at age 74 serves three small congregations in rural Dorchester County. "I think it discriminates against anyone who doesn't observe the Sabbath on Sunday. Everybody else is allowed to pursue their hobby -- fishing, boating, golf, whatever -- on Sundays. Why not hunters?"

Re: Mad Cow Disease Found in Washington State #38281
01/02/04 02:51 AM
01/02/04 02:51 AM
John H.  Offline
Most Dedicated Member
North Carolina, USA
J.R.,

The numbers about bathtub deaths vs. Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease cases coming from BSE in cows are, as you should know, meaningless.

"Junk science" includes drawing definite conclusions about a subject when there is insufficient data upon which to base such conclusions. And there is absolutely not enough data to draw firm conclusions about the causes and prevalence of Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease in humans.

The London Times, on August 23, 1997, reported that "A 24-year-old vegetarian has been diagnosed with Cruetzfeld-Jakob disease. Scientists fear that milk and cheese may be the source of infection."

More and more scientists are starting to think that many cases of the disease commonly diagnosed as Alzheimer's disease may in fact be undiagnosed cases of CJD.

The bottom line is, there's no rationale for coming to a verdict here; there's not enough reliable information. The jury's still out. All this 'peace and safety' talk from the CDC is not scientifically sound.

[edit - spelling]

[ January 02, 2004, 02:39 AM: Message edited by: John ]

Re: Mad Cow Disease Found in Washington State #38282
01/02/04 06:02 AM
01/02/04 06:02 AM
J. R. Layman  Offline
Charter Member
quote:
there's no rationale for coming to a verdict here; there's not enough reliable information
Thank you John, that is EXACTLY the point I've been trying to make all along!!!!!!

-----------------------------------------------------

http://www.local6.com/news/2737117/detail.html
"Frozen French Fries Prefried In Beef Tallow Sit In Limbo"

POSTED: 11:15 PM EST January 1, 2004
Excerpted

quote:
KENNEWICK, Wash. -- Fallout from the mad cow scare in Washington state has hit the potato industry, with more than $500,000 worth of frozen French fries -- prefried in beef tallow -- held in limbo at ports.

The delay raises concerns that other exports containing beef products could be affected by the bans countries have imposed on U.S. beef because of mad cow disease.

French fries and other potato products are prefried in beef tallow or vegetable oil by the manufacturer before they are frozen and shipped. They are then fried again before being served.

Most products fried in beef tallow are exported, while vegetable oil is used domestically, said Pat Boss, executive director of the Washington State Potato Commission.

YUCK

Around here the problem is with Mexican food....they use lard in it. Recently I chatted with the owner of a restaurant, and he told me that they do it for the taste, YUCK. Although he was quite proud that they use only about 1/3 as compared to when his grandmother owned the restaurant. I told him 1/3 or not, I'm not eating it. Bottom line, it's basically unsafe (non-kosher) to eat Mexican food unless you KNOW the national chain doesn't use lard (particularly in the beans). And it's really bad to eat from any "Moma's....homestyle" Mexican Restaurant along the road!

[ January 02, 2004, 02:45 AM: Message edited by: J. R. Layman ]

Re: Mad Cow Disease Found in Washington State #38283
01/02/04 06:48 AM
01/02/04 06:48 AM
John H.  Offline
Most Dedicated Member
North Carolina, USA
quote:
Thank you John, that is EXACTLY the point I've been trying to make all along!!!!!!
That's a two-edged sword there J.R.; on the one hand there's not enough information to justify going into a panic over Mad Cow disease in the U.S.; but on the other hand there's not enough information to say that we're more at risk from drowning in our bathtubs than from getting CJD from cow products, either.

In the early days of the AIDS epidemic scientists were basically burying their heads in the sand, saying there was nothing for the general public to worry about. (Sounds a lot like the CDC's present stance doesn't it...) History could be replaying itself, as it has a tendency to do. Maybe not. But why take chances.

I do know this -- the best way to keep from getting animal-carried diseases is to refrain from using animal products. That's not a matter of committing sin or not, per se; it's a matter of being just plain smart....or not.

Re: Mad Cow Disease Found in Washington State #38284
01/02/04 01:53 PM
01/02/04 01:53 PM
John H.  Offline
Most Dedicated Member
North Carolina, USA
Some other people are getting the veggie idea out of all this too --

http://www.jewishworldreview.com/toons/brown/resolutions_dec29.gif

Re: Mad Cow Disease Found in Washington State #38285
01/02/04 03:56 PM
01/02/04 03:56 PM
Ikan  Offline
Very Dedicated Member
Plowing
I foresee a "Mad Chicken" and "Mad Fish" discovery in the near future.

As a scuba diver, I know what fish and sea creatures eat! No thanks.

Spend a day at a chicken farm; pick an organic free range one, if you are squimish. A large percentage of chicken pecking is "used" chicken feed.

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/30/24 10:34 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 07:26 PM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!