HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,615
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 19
kland 9
Daryl 4
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Kevin H, Daryl, 1 invisible), 3,245 guests, and 22 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Secret Rapture: Fact Or Fiction? #38902
08/23/02 03:36 AM
08/23/02 03:36 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have always wondered what need there would be for the resurrection; with the "secret," but not so secret rapture.

Whenever we see some counterfeit in a given situation, it can always be traced to a fundamental lack of insight, with some portion of the Scripture text itself.

It is also very unfortunate with the secret rapture doctrine, how it's adherents "comfort one another," with those words, of how the righteous will be secretly taken up to heaven.

I am referring to the text of 1 Thes.4:13-18. Secret rapture adherents seem to have gotten this text very confused.

At the very centre of this confusion is the Word "caught up." Verse 17 reflects on the fact that both the righteous living, and the righteous dead will be "caught up," TOGETHER, to meet Jesus in the air.

"Caught up" has more than one possible meaning in the original language. "Harpazo" and "Klepto" in the original language, are both sometimes translated as "caught up." (meaning "raptured").

"Klepto" refers to secrecy, whereas "Harpazo" means "take to one's self...not secret. It is "Harpazo" that is used in 1 Thes.4:17. Only in this context, would "caught up" be understood as intended. If it was "klepto" or secret in nature, then texts like Rev.1:7 would have to be null and void.

"Every eye shall see Him..." is not a secret; and Jesus tells us to comfort one another with the Words of the Bible, in the intended context of the author of this passage.

Re: Secret Rapture: Fact Or Fiction? #38903
08/23/02 05:09 AM
08/23/02 05:09 AM
D
DenBorg  Offline
Blanchard, OK

We started with what was considered as the most important secret rapture text:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Matthew 24:40 Then two men will be in the field; one is taken and one is left.
41 Two women will be grinding at the mill; one is taken and one is left.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One is taken and the other is left behind.

quote: Daryl Fawcett

It is interesting to note that those who believe in the Secret Rapture will read this one verse (ignoring the surrounding verses ... i.e. the context), and they make two assumptions. Those assumptions are:
The one left behind ...
  1. ... does not notice what is taking place, except that someone suddenly vanished
  2. ... is left alive

But the context of given in that chapter and other scriptures that describes the same event does not support these two assumptions.

Why do they read into that verse more than there is? This leaves them with having to believe in two Second Comings; one secret, and one visible and noisy.

But Christ did not tell us that He would come again and again to take us to be with Him. He simply said:

... I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also.

John 14:3

Re: Secret Rapture: Fact Or Fiction? #38904
08/23/02 08:28 AM
08/23/02 08:28 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered

Good points Den Borg [Smile]

Part Two

To further explain “harpazo:” This word is used in the sense of

1) to seize, carry off by force
2) to seize on, claim for one’s self eagerly
3) to snatch out or away

“Harpazo” is anything but “secretive” in it’s nature. It means to literally “seize upon with force,” which is in stark difference to “klepto” meaning “to steal away secretly.” “Harpazo, is referring to an open act of violence.

Although “harpazo” is usually used to denote another person’s property being robbed; it is not used exclusively so. Sometimes it is used in a general sense for forcibly seizing upon, snatching away, or taking to one’s self. Note the following texts for examples of uses of “harpazo”:

Mat.13:19: “catcheth away”

John 6:15: “take Him by force”
John 10:12 – “catcheth them”
28 – “pluck them out”
29 – “pluck them out”

Acts 23:10 – “take him by force”

Jude 23 – “pulling them out of”

Now, there are some texts where “harpazo” is used particularly for “rapture:”

Acts 8:39 – “caught away”

2 Cor.12:2 – “caught up”
4 – “caught up”

1 Thes.4:17 – “shall be caught up” (together)

Rev.12:5 – “was caught up”

“Harpazo” is used to show use of force against someone in the following text:

Mat.11:12 – “take it by force.”

It is of course important to also reference this word “klepto” and how the Bible writers used it:

Mat. 6:19 – talking about where thieves “break through and steal” (secretively), see also Mat.6:20 – where thieves do not break through or “klepto,” (steal).

Mat.19:18 – in talking about the ten commandments says: “Thou shalt not steal.” (this is not always referring to something in the open that everyone sees).

Jo.10:10 – mentions a thief breaking in to “klepto” or “steal.”

Rom.13:9 – thou shalt not “klepto” or “steal.”

Eph.4:28 – “let him that “klepto” (stole), “klepto” (steal) no more.”

I have a large book in my library here at home. It has 21 lengthy, in depth essays by the worlds most prominent secret rapture scholars. Each essay is done by a different scholar. Someone gave me this book years ago, trying to convert me to the secret rapture proposals; but I think it has only served to make me see the truth more clearly.

I have several lines of thought, from this book, and other sources, that would likely be very constructive to pursue within this topic…so let me start with this one:

I will be referring to some notes taken from one of the authors of this book, with the name of Edward E Hindson.

I am going to act as if I am a secret rapture proponent for the next few posts, to better illustrate how truth can be twisted, (I have been approached this way by secret rapture adherents), and to see how complex this topic can get.

But, the other thing that I believe this will accomplish, is to set the truth before others, in much clearer lines. So please remember, in the next few posts, I will be stating my case for the secret rapture. I have studied into this because of various relatives or friends who believe it:

“First of all, I think that it is really wrong for you to believe that the rapture is NOT a secret. Why do I say this? Because, the rapture, and the return, are two separate aspects of the same event. In other words, the rapture and the return, are two aspects of the second coming of Christ Jesus, OUR Lord.

Is there a difference between the rapture, and the second coming? Yes! We pretribulationists have seen some really clear, Biblical evidence, for making distinctions between these two events. Many of you opponents of the pretrib doctrines, can’t see these distinctions even though I can show you overwhelming Biblical evidence that supports a pretribulational rapture – that is, a secret coming of Christ for His people.

Now, I know what all you amillenial people think…I know that in 1 Thes.4:17, there is indeed the word “harpazo” used for the phrase caught up. So, we are definitely agreed on the fact that there is a rapture. What we are not agreed upon, is WHEN will this rapture occur?

Many of you guys argue against the secret rapture, on the basis that it is really hard to conceive of what it might be like for thousands of people to suddenly disappear! Your many joking remarks about those raptured, smacking their heads on the ceiling, false teeth being left behind somewhere, people in the middle of changing their clothes and being secretly wisked up to meet Jesus naked…and car accidents all over the place…pandemonium city! But have hear all these jokes before. They are not Biblical proof of anything.

So, OK…When will the secret rapture occurr? And what is it’s relationship to Christ, at the time of His second coming? If I can prove that the church will be “caught up” into heaven; and that this “gathering together” (2 Thes.2:1), is a separate event from the return of Christ in judgment, then I will have already, more than adequately made my case, and proved Seventh Day Adventists, along with some other Christian groups, as wrong in trying to dismiss the pretrib as false doctrine. Right?

All I need to do now is to show how the dissimilarities between rapture passages, and second coming passages, are significant enough to demonstrate that they are indeed two separate aspects of the same events. In the next post, I will start to deal with relevant Bible texts to prove my point.” [Big Grin]

Re: Secret Rapture: Fact Or Fiction? #38905
08/23/02 08:36 AM
08/23/02 08:36 AM
John H.  Offline
Most Dedicated Member
North Carolina, USA
The most definitive texts, to my mind:

And as it was in the days of Noe, so shall it be also in the days of the Son of man.
They did eat, they drank, they married wives, they were given in marriage, until the day that Noe entered into the ark, and the flood came, and destroyed them all.
Likewise also as it was in the days of Lot; they did eat, they drank, they bought, they sold, they planted, they builded;
But the same day that Lot went out of Sodom it rained fire and brimstone from heaven, and destroyed them all.
Even thus shall it be in the day when the Son of man is revealed.

Luke 17:26-30.

No room there for anything besides destruction on the very same day.

Re: Secret Rapture: Fact Or Fiction? #38906
08/24/02 12:03 AM
08/24/02 12:03 AM
Restin  Offline
Apopka, Florida, USA
What bothers me most about the rapture doctrine is that it is so often associated with the time-line promoted by the Sunday-worshipping churches. They have the prophetic week at the end of the 2300 days. They believe that the rebuilding of the temple is future, and that Jesus is going to descend upon Jerusalem and usher in the millenium here on earth.

Re: Secret Rapture: Fact Or Fiction? #38907
08/24/02 12:32 AM
08/24/02 12:32 AM
Daryl  Online Canadian
OP
Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
They obviously believe in the biblical day for a year principle, however, they still confuse things by this two thousand some odd years gap doctrine in which they place the 70th week (7 days/7 years) two thousand some odd years into the future from the time of Christ from which there isn't anything in the Bible to back up such a thing.

Re: Secret Rapture: Fact Or Fiction? #38908
08/25/02 02:03 AM
08/25/02 02:03 AM
D
DenBorg  Offline
Blanchard, OK
DavidTBattler:

I like your idea of role playing. What would you think about using the Quote feature to supply your arguments and comments from "Secret Sam", your alter ego? [Smile] This way, they would be indented and set apart from your other comments.

Here are my comments concerning Secret Sam's arguments.

First of all, I think that it is really wrong for you to believe that the rapture is NOT a secret. Why do I say this? Because, the rapture, and the return, are two separate aspects of the same event. In other words, the rapture and the return, are two aspects of the second coming of Christ Jesus, OUR Lord.

Is there a difference between the rapture, and the second coming? Yes! We pretribulationists have seen some really clear, Biblical evidence, for making distinctions between these two events. ... ...

Now, I know what all you amillenial people think ... I know that in 1 Thes.4:17, there is indeed the word "harpazo" used for the phrase caught up. So, we are definitely agreed on the fact that there is a rapture. What we are not agreed upon, is WHEN will this rapture occur?

quote: Secret Sam - DavidTBattler's alter ego
Secret Sam's comments are problematic right from the start, for the following reasons:
  1. Self Contradiction - In the first paragraph, the rapture and the second coming are described as two aspects of the same event. However, in the second paragraph, they are described as two distinct events. And then, in the very last paragraph, the rapture and second coming are once again described as a single event.

This is at best, double speak.

2. Language Redefinition - Secret Sam seems to acknowledge the point about the use of the word "harpazo", but immediately ignores the true definition of the word. He tries to cast a "secrecy" meaning into the word which does not belong. I would pose the question, "If the Bible writer was trying to describe a secret rapture, why would the Bible writer use the word 'harpazo' which clearly means anything but secret?!"

3. Wrong Assumptions - Secret Sam simply states his personal opinion that he believes us wrong for not believing that the ratpure is secret, but fails to present Biblical evidence that supports a secret rapture. Thereafter in his commentary, Secret Sam wrongfully assumes that we are all in agreement that the rapture is secret, simply because of his say-so. For example, he stated, "So, OK…When will the secret rapture occurr?"

Before we discuss when the secret rapture will occur, we must first show from the Bible that the rapture is indeed a secret event.

Only after these descrepancies are resolved, are we then able to carry the discussion on to additional points.

What are your thoughts on these comments I just presented?

Re: Secret Rapture: Fact Or Fiction? #38909
08/25/02 02:24 AM
08/25/02 02:24 AM
D
DenBorg  Offline
Blanchard, OK

They obviously believe in the biblical day for a year principle, however, they still confuse things by this two thousand some odd years gap doctrine in which they place the 70th week (7 days/7 years) two thousand some odd years into the future from the time of Christ from which there isn't anything in the Bible to back up such a thing.

quote: Daryl Fawcett
It is amazing that they can think that way, isn't it?! That a 490 year prophecy would take over 2,000 years to complete!

Is that not a sign of a false prophet, if the prophecy does not come true as predicted?! But distorting the prophecy's time table is the only way they can try to make it fit the interpretation they want to believe.

It would be like a physic (sp?) predicting that a certain man would die in 2 years. But the man is still alive until 50 years later. If the physic was asked why his prediction did not come true, would they believe in the physic's ability if the physic replied:

You see, at the end of the first year, I stopped the prophetic time clock. It did not start up again until exactly one year before that man's death.

So, you see! My prediction of his death in 2 years came true, exactly as predicted!!!

It just does not make any sense to me!

Re: Secret Rapture: Fact Or Fiction? #38910
08/25/02 07:32 AM
08/25/02 07:32 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered

Very Kool idea DenBorg!

I will have to be away from here a few days as I am licking my wounds from a cycling accident earlier today.

We still had a very nice Sabbath!

"See" you soon.

"Secret Sam"

by the way...your point #3 is true, but I had been planning to supply the Scripture in the next post. I just ran out of time. [Smile]

Re: Secret Rapture: Fact Or Fiction? #38911
08/25/02 02:45 PM
08/25/02 02:45 PM
D
DenBorg  Offline
Blanchard, OK
I am glad that your accident was not too serious. I hope you heal quickly and get to feeling better soon.

I look forward to hearing from you again soon.

-Dennis

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/30/24 10:34 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 07:26 PM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!