HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,629
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 24
kland 13
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, Daryl, dedication, Nadi, 2 invisible), 2,967 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
You Are A Suspect! #42282
11/14/02 09:03 PM
11/14/02 09:03 PM
L
Linda Sutton  Offline OP
Charter Member
2500+ Member
USA
In 1949 English author George Orwell penned the novel Nineteen Eighty-Four about the totalitarian state. In many ways it has seemed uncannily prophetic and philosphers of all stripes refer to it today.

After the elections President Bush said that his main goal in the lame duck congress was to get the Homeland Security Act passed. (The House, but not the Senate, passed the bill in August.) Congress seems to be making headway on passage of this bill before they break for the holidays. What does this bill mean for Americans?
quote:
Every purchase you make with a credit card, every magazine subscription you buy and medical prescription you fill, every Web site you visit and e-mail you send or receive, every academic grade you receive, every bank deposit you make, every trip you book and every event you attend — all these transactions and communications will go into what the Defense Department describes as "a virtual, centralized grand database."

To this computerized dossier on your private life from commercial sources, add every piece of information that government has about you — passport application, driver's license and bridge toll records, judicial and divorce records, complaints from nosy neighbors to the F.B.I., your lifetime paper trail plus the latest hidden camera surveillance — and you have the supersnoop's dream: a "Total Information Awareness" about every U.S. citizen.

The entire article, You Are A Suspect, in the New York Times speculates on what will happen to Americans' freedoms with the passage of this bill as it now reads. Hopefully Congress will modify the bill, but should they not, we will lose many freedoms. As the USA is the leader in the world, whatever they do will be copied elsewhere. Now more than ever, Christians should seek to make everything they do upright and honest. Big Brother will be watching.

To read the current text of this legislation see ANALYSIS FOR THE HOMELAND SECURITY ACT OF 2002.

Re: You Are A Suspect! #42283
11/16/02 04:42 AM
11/16/02 04:42 AM
Avalee  Offline
Charter Member
Active Member 2014

Most Dedicated Member
Northern CA
Linda I heard about this yesterday on a talk show I listen to at work. The host gave a website about this. I got the impression it was Poindexter's website not sure. I have it up but have not looked at it yet other than to look at the Personnel page and saw his name as the Director. It is called Information Awareness Office. The link to this site is below.

http://www.darpa.mil/iao/

Re: You Are A Suspect! #42284
11/15/02 10:38 PM
11/15/02 10:38 PM
L
Linda Sutton  Offline OP
Charter Member
2500+ Member
USA
The bill is near passage.
quote:
The department, which will be created by merging 22 existing agencies and 170,000 employees, was approved by the House of Representatives on Wednesday. Senate approval is likely within a week.
This is not the time for quaking in our shoes, but for spreading the message far and wide while we still have some freedom to do so.

Avalees thanks for the URL to the website. Take a close look at the seal of this office. Most interesting. I cannot link to it as the graphic is actually multiple images.

[ November 15, 2002, 06:42 PM: Message edited by: Linda S ]

Re: You Are A Suspect! #42285
11/15/02 11:07 PM
11/15/02 11:07 PM
L
Linda Sutton  Offline OP
Charter Member
2500+ Member
USA
From the website:
quote:
IAO Vision: The most serious asymmetric threat facing the United States is terrorism, a threat characterized by collections of people loosely organized in shadowy networks that are difficult to identify and define. IAO plans to develop technology that will allow understanding of the intent of these networks, their plans, and potentially define opportunities for disrupting or eliminating the threats. To effectively and efficiently carry this out, we must promote sharing, collaborating and reasoning to convert nebulous data to knowledge and actionable options. IAO will accomplish this by pursuing the development of technologies, components, and applications to produce a proto-type system. Example technologies include:
  • Collaboration and sharing over TCP/IP networks across agency boundaries {email and internet use}
  • Large, distributed repositories with dynamic schemas that can be changed interactively by users {computer servers set to spy}
  • Foreign language machine translation and speech recognition
  • Biometric signatures of humans {definately more than fingerprints, like iris scans, voice recognition}
  • Real time learning, pattern matching and anomalous pattern detection {quickly learns to identify a particular person's way of writing, talking, laughing, walk, etc.}
  • Entity extraction from natural language text
  • Human network analysis and behavior model building engines {profiling}
  • Event prediction and capability development model building engines {computer models}
  • Structured argumentation and evidential reasoning
  • Story telling, change detection, and truth maintenance {propaganda}
  • Business rules sub-systems for access control and process management {boycot}
  • Biologically inspired algorithms for agent control {biofeedback run amuck or brain washing}
  • Other aids for human cognition and human reasoning

I've put in brackers {} what each of these may be. Some have us (Ed and me) so maybe someone else might have some ideas.

Re: You Are A Suspect! #42286
11/16/02 11:07 PM
11/16/02 11:07 PM
L
Linda Sutton  Offline OP
Charter Member
2500+ Member
USA
The authors of the bill are defending its language. The story is in the Washington Times.
quote:
He noted that Mr. Armey was responsible for language in the bill eliminating Operation TIPS (Terrorism Information and Prevention System), proposed by the Bush administration, that would have enlisted mail carriers, utility meter-readers and others with access to private homes to report suspicious activities of their neighbors and clients. He also put in language to prohibit the government from requiring Americans to carry national identification cards.

However, language such as Mr. Armey wrote eliminating TIPS is apparently not included in the homeland-security legislation.

Does this mean that the language of the Homeland Security Act could and perhaps would mandate that certain people would be turned into spies?

Re: You Are A Suspect! #42287
11/20/02 03:43 AM
11/20/02 03:43 AM
L
Linda Sutton  Offline OP
Charter Member
2500+ Member
USA
quote:
Bush Gets His Homeland Security Bill
WASHINGTON, Nov. 19, 2002

The Senate passed it 90-9, with one Senator absent. Several provisions were left in including one that would not allow people to sue pharmaceutical companys for problems caused by the vaccines they make. This is also retoractive, which could throw out lawsuits brought by parents who currently have suits in court that vaccines have damaged their children.

The orginial bill was about 43 pages long. The bill that passed is several hundred pages long! Not even all the congressmen know everything that is in it.

Article is at CBS News

Re: You Are A Suspect! #42288
11/21/02 03:00 PM
11/21/02 03:00 PM
L
Linda Sutton  Offline OP
Charter Member
2500+ Member
USA
Pentagon to Track American Consumer Purchases
Thursday, November 21, 2002
By Major Garrett

WASHINGTON — A massive database that the government will use to monitor every purchase made by every American citizen is a necessary tool in the war on terror, the Pentagon said Wednesday.

Edward Aldridge, undersecretary of Acquisitions and Technology, told reporters that the Pentagon is developing a prototype database to seek "patterns indicative of terrorist activity." Aldridge said the database would collect and use software to analyze consumer purchases in hopes of catching terrorists before it's too late.

"The bottom line is this is an important research project to determine the feasibility of using certain transactions and events to discover and respond to terrorists before they act," he said.

Aldridge said the database, which he called another "tool" in the war on terror, would look for telltale signs of suspicious consumer behavior.

Examples he cited were: sudden and large cash withdrawals, one-way air or rail travel, rental car transactions and purchases of firearms, chemicals or agents that could be used to produce biological or chemical weapons.

It would also combine consumer information with visa records, passports, arrest records or reports of suspicious activity given to law enforcement or intelligence services.

The Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency is home to the Pentagon's brightest thinkers -- the ones who built the Internet. DARPA will be in charge of trying to make the system work technically.

Rear Adm. John Poindexter, former national security adviser to President Reagan, is developing the database under the Total Information Awareness Program. Poindexter was convicted on five counts of misleading Congress and making false statements during the Iran-Contra investigation. Those convictions were later overturned, but critics note that his is a dubious resume for someone entrusted with so sensitive a task.

Aldridge said Poindexter will only "develop the tool, he will not be exercising the tool." He said Poindexter brought the database idea to the Pentagon and persuaded Aldridge and others to pursue it.

"John has a real passion for this project," Aldridge said.

TIAF's office logo is now one eye scanning the globe. The translation of the Latin motto: knowledge is power. Some say, possibly too much power. "What this is talking about is making us a nation of suspects and I am sorry, the United States citizens should not have to live in fear of their own government and that is exactly what this is going to turn out to be," said Chuck Pena, senior defense policy analyst at the Cato Institute.

Pena and others say the database is an even greater violation of privacy rights than Attorney General John Ashcroft's nixed proposal to turn postal workers and delivery men into government tipsters. No matter what protections Congress requires, Pena fears a database big enough and nimble enough to track the entire nation's spending habits is ripe for abuse.

"I don't think once you put something like this in place, you can ever create enough checks and balances and oversight," Pena said.

But proponents say big business already has access to most of this data, but don't do anything with it to fight terrorism.

"I find it somewhat counter intuitive that people are not concerned that telemarketers and insurance companies can acquire this data but feel tremendous trepidation if a government ventures into this arena. To me it just smacks of paranoia," said David Rivkin, an attorney for Baker & Hostetler LLP.

The database is not yet ready and Aldridge said it will not be available for several years. Fake consumer data will be used in development of the database, he said.

When it's ready, Aldridge said individual privacy rights will be protected. But he could not explain how the data would be accessed. In some cases, specific warrants would give law enforcement agencies access, he said. But in other cases the database might flag suspicious activity absent a specific request or warrant, and that suspicious activity could well be relayed to law enforcement or intelligence agencies.

"I don't know what the scope of this is going to be," Aldridge said. "We are in a war on terrorism. We are trying to find out if this technology can work."

Re: You Are A Suspect! #42289
11/24/02 03:54 PM
11/24/02 03:54 PM
L
Linda Sutton  Offline OP
Charter Member
2500+ Member
USA
What I am about to post here is hearsay. The information came to me via my son. The church he has been attending is small and rents space to meet in. He and another gentleman were out visiting interests yesterday (Sabbath) and were talking to the owner (a lady) of the building. The discussion turned to the Homeland Security Bill.

The owner's son is in the military in some capacity in D.C. He told his mother that if the Democrats didn't change the bill (they didn't) then "God help this country. Things will never be the same." He also told her that power brokers (my terminology) in Washington want a war, similar to the long drawn-out war in Vietnam. Bush wants war. [Remember, this is strickly hearsay, I can't prove anything he said.]

I put it here, because, though hearsay, it makes sense. From all indications, Bush wants a war. Already military supplies and personnel are enroute to the Arabian Gulf. Soldiers are already practicing in the tiny nation of Kuwait. Bush has spent much of the last week druming up support for war with Iraq.

The House and the Senate passed the Homeland Security bill without making changes. The Democrats said that they would work on changing some of the provisions in the bill later. I personally doubt that it will happen. Even the news reported that many of those who voted for the bill had not read through its 400+ pages and didn't even know just what all they were voting for!
quote:
I saw that this world was rocked in the cradle of security so that communications might not be cut off from place to place, and that messengers might have full time to carry the message to the children of God, that they receive it and be sealed with the seal of the living God, and be prepared to pass through the time of trouble such as never was. {6MR 170.3}

I saw that it must be a time of peace in order for the servants of God to do their work for souls. {6MR 170.4}

The work which the church has failed to do in a time of peace and prosperity she will have to do in a terrible crisis under most discouraging, forbidding circumstances. The warnings that worldly conformity has silenced or withheld must be given under the fiercest opposition from enemies of the faith. 5T 463

We need to work now as never before, for soon the latter condition will exist. Our time of peace is about to shut, forever.

Re: You Are A Suspect! #42290
11/25/02 04:05 AM
11/25/02 04:05 AM
L
Linda Sutton  Offline OP
Charter Member
2500+ Member
USA
The following paragraphs are from Testimonies volume 5, the chapter titled "The Seal of God."

quote:
With unerring accuracy the Infinite One still keeps an account with all nations. While His mercy is tendered with calls to repentance, this account will remain open; but when the figures reach a certain amount which God has fixed, the ministry of His wrath commences. The account is closed. Divine patience ceases. There is no more pleading of mercy in their behalf.

The prophet, looking down the ages, had this time presented before his vision. The nations of this age have been the recipients of unprecedented mercies. The choicest of heaven's blessings have been given them, but increased pride, covetousness, idolatry, contempt of God, and base ingratitude are written against them. They are fast closing up their account with God.

But that which causes me to tremble is the fact that those who have had the greatest light and privileges have become contaminated by the prevailing iniquity. Influenced by the unrighteous around them, many, even of those who profess the truth, have grown cold and are borne down by the strong current of evil. The universal scorn thrown upon true piety and holiness leads those who do not connect closely with God to lose their reverence for His law. If they were following the light and obeying the truth from the heart, this holy law would seem even more precious to them when thus despised and set aside. As the disrespect for God's law becomes more manifest, the line of demarcation between its observers and the world becomes more distinct. Love for the divine precepts increases with one class according as contempt for them increases with another class.

The crisis is fast approaching. The rapidly swelling figures show that the time for God's visitation has about come. Although loath to punish, nevertheless He will punish, and that speedily. Those who walk in the light will see signs of the approaching peril; but they are not to sit in quiet, unconcerned expectancy of the ruin, comforting themselves with the belief that God will shelter His people in the day of visitation. Far from it. They should realize that it is their duty to labor diligently to save others, looking with strong faith to God for help. "The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much."

The leaven of godliness has not entirely lost its power. At the time when the danger and depression of the church are greatest, the little company who are standing in the light will be sighing and crying for the abominations that are done in the land. But more especially will their prayers arise in behalf of the church because its members are doing after the manner of the world.

The earnest prayers of this faithful few will not be in vain. When the Lord comes forth as an avenger, He will also come as a protector of all those who have preserved the faith in its purity and kept themselves unspotted from the world. It is at this time that God has promised to avenge His own elect which cry day and night unto Him, though He bear long with them. (5T 208-210, emphasis supplied)

Re: You Are A Suspect! #42291
11/25/02 04:08 AM
11/25/02 04:08 AM
M
marcel  Offline
Posting New Member
Cape Town, South Africa
I heard some of this on CNN. I mentioned the possibility of emigrating to the USA to mother some time ago.

She mentioned that the persecution of SDA's would start in the USA (the Lamb).

My response was that we shouldn't be bothered by this as it would be a sure indication that the end time is near.

We often speak of our desire for Jesus' soon comming at church but I wonder how many of us don't subconsiously hope to live a long healthy life here on earth rather than looking fowrward to Jesus' return?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderator  dedication 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!