HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,629
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 24
kland 13
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Nadi, 3 invisible), 3,062 guests, and 9 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Poll: Would You Let Your Child Read "Harry Potter" Books? #42331
01/29/03 06:40 PM
01/29/03 06:40 PM
Avalee  Offline
Charter Member
Active Member 2014

Most Dedicated Member
Northern CA
No comment from me. There are way to many quotes from the Spirit of Prophecy to prove where she stood on this manner. That and the Bible is where I do for direction. We all have chocies to make.

Re: Poll: Would You Let Your Child Read "Harry Potter" Books? #42332
01/29/03 07:29 PM
01/29/03 07:29 PM
G
Gregory  Offline
SDA
Chaplain

Active Member 2022
Most Dedicated Member
USA
Avalee:

I have no intention of changing your mind.

But, what does one do when one is faced with evidence that contradicts one's beleif? I am confining my question to this situation.

One might:

a) Decide that one's belief needs revision. In this case, it would be that one's understanding of what EGW actually said, needs revision.

b) One might decide that EGW was an imperfect human, and therefore, as we all do, did not perfectly practice her beliefs.

c) One might find a way to explain away the evidence. I.e. One could conclude that one would only accept that EGW read a fictious story to her children if one could find an explicit statement from her, such as: "Last night I read . . ., which you all will know is a work of fiction, to my children."

Avalee, would your spiritual foundation crash if you concluded that either "a" or "b" was true?

What does it mean to be dedicated to follow truth wherever it leads, even if agains previous beliefs?

Re: Poll: Would You Let Your Child Read "Harry Potter" Books? #42333
01/29/03 07:47 PM
01/29/03 07:47 PM
Avalee  Offline
Charter Member
Active Member 2014

Most Dedicated Member
Northern CA
Still no comment. [Heart]

Re: Poll: Would You Let Your Child Read "Harry Potter" Books? #42334
01/30/03 03:57 AM
01/30/03 03:57 AM
Daryl  Offline

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
Sounds like a whole new topic to me.

As far as this topic goes, the Harry Potter books are definitely satanic and should not be read.

We should be very careful about what we read.

As far as this side discussion on EGW goes, I would need to investigate this further myself.

Is there still a living person who knew Ellen White and may be able to shed some light on this?

Re: Poll: Would You Let Your Child Read "Harry Potter" Books? #42335
01/30/03 03:46 PM
01/30/03 03:46 PM
Charlene Van Hook  Offline
North Carolina, USA
I see this thread is about "what we SDAs should or should not read." I don't see that this issue is at all about what Sister white did, ate or read, she like Christ and all of us "learned obedience through suffering" . the Bottom line is what did the inspired writings of our prophet tell us and do we believe what God says. If we do, we have no questions.

We are told to guard the avenues of the soul.

"Guard the Avenues to the Soul. "--"The apostle sought to teach the believers how important it is to keep the mind from wandering to forbidden themes or from spending its energies on trifling subjects. Those who would not fall a prey to Satan's devices must guard well the avenues of the soul; they must avoid reading, seeing, or hearing that which will suggest impure thoughts. The mind must not be left to dwell at random upon every subject that the enemy of souls may suggest. "

Mind, Character, and Personality Volume 2--pg- 591

Fiction Creates an Imaginary World. --You have indulged in novel and story reading until you live in an imaginary world. The influence of such reading is injurious to both the mind and the body; it weakens the intellect and brings a fearful tax upon the physical strength. At times your mind is scarcely sane because the imagination
has been overexcited and diseased by reading fictitious stories. The mind should be so disciplined that all its powers will be symmetrically developed. . . ."

Our guidlines are the following texts:

Phi 4:8 "Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things [are] honest, whatsoever things [are] just, whatsoever things [are] pure, whatsoever things [are] lovely, whatsoever things [are] of good report; if [there be] any virtue, and if [there be] any praise, think on these things."

Psa 101:3 "I will set no wicked thing before mine eyes: I hate the work of them that turn aside; [it] shall not cleave to me."

Now shall we discredit these texts because we may find/judge in the writers lives something me may not approve of. Are we not to accept the "All scripture is inspired by the holy Spirit" and the same Holy Spirit inspired Ellen White.? Why are we searching so hard for a way to justify not taking the words of the SOP, as TRUTH.

Counsels to Parents, Teachers, and Students--- The False and the True in Education-----PG- 383

"By fostering a love for mere amusement, the reading of fiction creates a distaste for life's practical duties. Through its exciting, intoxicating power it is not infrequently a cause of both mental and physical disease. Many a miserable, neglected home, many a lifelong invalid, many an inmate of the insane asylum, has
become such through the habit of novel reading."

You say Jesus used parables...Yes, He Did. Were they for teaching bible truths based on what was happening or did happen is the recent past? i believe Ellen says so. Were they uplifting God's Law,mercy,grace/obedience parables and lessons in the saving Grace of God in their lives? God/Jesus centered parables, not adulterated by the world in any way, I would just guess, that God would still approve of this. I still remember reading the "Uncle Arthur Bedtime Stories" {the old ones...1940s] to my children and if some os those wonderful stories were made up.....so be it, they placed good moral goals [fruits of the Spirit] in the hearts of my Children.

But none of my/your words are inspired.

Re: Poll: Would You Let Your Child Read "Harry Potter" Books? #42336
01/31/03 04:05 AM
01/31/03 04:05 AM
North Carolina, USA
I would be greatly disappointed if a thread were opened up to disguss the credibility of our Prophet, Ellen White.

We are told that God leaves much "evidence" for the sceptic to doubt. To research this is to bring out evidence as to who is a believer and who is not. I am a believer and i don't have to explore her life/lifestyle to give me assurance that Ellen White was given to this last day church as our God inspired Prophet, it is so because God said it is so.

It is also so because the Spirit of Prophecy says it is so. To doubt is to sin.

If we had a hundred testimonies surviving pioneers, there are those that would not believe "though He raise one from the dead."

Instead, lets up Praise The Lord for His ever Loving guidance.

Re: Poll: Would You Let Your Child Read "Harry Potter" Books? #42337
01/31/03 04:06 AM
01/31/03 04:06 AM
Daryl  Offline

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
What about "Uncle Arthur Bedtime Stories"?

Were they fiction?

If so, are they an exception?

Are there any exceptions?

Also, what about the "Children Story" portion of our worship service? Are many of them fictional stories?

Re: Poll: Would You Let Your Child Read "Harry Potter" Books? #42338
01/31/03 04:17 AM
01/31/03 04:17 AM
North Carolina, USA
like i said in my above post.....

the bible gives us the guidlines. Why are we questioning this. And what Ellen White says is in line with this??? I don't understand. Your trying to make somthing out of nothing.

Psa 101:3 I will set no wicked thing before mine eyes: I hate the work of them that turn aside; [it] shall not cleave to me.

Phi 4:8 Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things [are] honest, whatsoever things [are] just, whatsoever things [are] pure, whatsoever things [are] lovely, whatsoever things [are] of good report; if [there be] any virtue, and if [there be] any praise, think on these things.

What about this do we not understand

Re: Poll: Would You Let Your Child Read "Harry Potter" Books? #42339
01/31/03 04:23 AM
01/31/03 04:23 AM
G
Gregory  Offline
SDA
Chaplain

Active Member 2022
Most Dedicated Member
USA
Charlene:

I do not think that this is about EGWs credibility. God used her, and gave her a special place in the SDA Chruch. But, it is appropriate to discuss what EGW meant in her writings. It is also appropriate to discuss how she applied her writings to her life. In doing so, we can not expect that she applied them perfectly. She was human, and stated that she ws imperfect. But, as an honest person, we can suggest that her application in her own life has something to say about what her writings meant.

Daryl:

Those who know the history of BEDTIME STORIES know that A. S. Maxwell based them on experiences that he and his wife had with their children, and that other people told him. However, he then took those true events and wrote the stories in a manner to illustrate the truth he wanted to teach, regardless of that actual reality of the way he had writtten it. He also disguised people, as his children served as the inspiration for many of the stories.

Re: Poll: Would You Let Your Child Read "Harry Potter" Books? #42340
01/31/03 04:39 AM
01/31/03 04:39 AM
Avalee  Offline
Charter Member
Active Member 2014

Most Dedicated Member
Northern CA
quote:
Originally posted by Daryl Fawcett:
Is there still a living person who knew Ellen White and may be able to shed some light on this?

Even if there was and they had some so called light to shine on this would not change what the Spirit of Prophecy has to say about fiction. There is no way in my mind that the Spirit of Prophecy condones fiction like Lord of the Rings. No way at all.

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderator  dedication 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!