The New Covenant existed before the "old." At Sinai the people entered into a convenant with God. They promised to do all that the Lord had commanded. In that covenant the law is engraved in letters on stones. The people do their best to fulfill the requirements of the law but they are doomed to fail miserably. The written law is a ministration of condemnation and death. "The letter kills." 2 Cor.3:6.
This covenant is based upon the promises people make, but their promises are like ropes of sand. In this covenant the law engraved on stones is a tutor showing the people their utterly helpless condition and their need of a Savior.

The New Covenant is the ministration of the Spirit? But what is the ministration of the Spirit? Jesus said, "The Words--commands--that I SPEAK unto you, they are Spirit and they are life." John 6:63. This is the New Covenant that Abraham knew, "being fully persuaded that what God has promised--commanded--He is able to perform." Rom.4:21.

In the Old Covenant, people are focussed on their own performance to fulfill the requirements of the law engraved on stones. Their righteousness is "filthy rags," and those who hunger and thirst for God's righteousness exclaim, "Oh, wretched man that I am, Who shall deliver me from this body of death." Rom.7:24.

In the New Covenant, people make no promises. Every command, proceeding out of the mouth of the Lord, is a promise of its fulfillment. It is God who performs. The Voice from Heaven is the breathing or the impartation of the Spirit who alone can fulfill the law's demands. They received the "living oracles" which give eternal life. Acts 7:38.

"Incline your ear and hear and your soul shall live." Is.55:3. In that Covenant, the Holy Spirit falls on all them that hear the Word and allow it to have free course in them. 2 Thess.3:1. And "Their righteousness is of Me, saith the Lord." Is.54:17.

In the New Covenant, the "living oracles" are written on the fleshly tablets of the heart! The commandment of the Lord is Spirit and life "converting the soul." Ps.19:7. In this Covenant, "We receive Christ through His Word," not merely written, but spoken! It is the Voice of Heaven speaking to the soul in promise!

In the Old Covenant, the commandment is a dead letter. It cannot give life. It is just as lifeless as the stone it is engraved on.

In the New Covenant, the commandment is a "living oracle," proceeding out of the mouth of God. It is the impartation of the Spirit, the creative energy of the Word of God to fulfill the will of God as it is expressed in the commandment. Therefore, in the New Covenant, "His commandment is life everlasting." John 12:50.

In the New Covenant, the believer exclaims: "Oh how I love to do Thy will; Thy law is within my heart," (Ps.40:8) and of the commandments of God's mouth it is said that they are "More to be desired than gold, yea than much fine gold." Ps.19:7-10.

In the New Covenant, the commandment of the Lord converts the soul and transforms the believer by the renewing of his mind in Christ Jesus. Rom.12:2. In the New Covenant all the commandments of God are promises which are Yes and Amen in Christ Jesus to the glory of God through us! 2 Cor.1:20.

"The Voice of the Lord is powerful. The Voice of the Lord is full of majesty." Ps.29:4.