What does it mean to live by faith? It must mean that the exercise of faith brings the life of God into the soul; but how is it that faith can do that? because "faith comes by hearing the word of God;" (Rom.10:17) and how is it that faith comes by hearing the word of God? because the word that proceeds out of the mouth of God has the creative energy in it; received as such, it imparts power, it begets life!

Thus it is written, "Man shall not live by bread alone but by every word that proceeds out of the mouth of God." Matt.4:4. So there is life in God's word! Jesus said, "The words that I speak unto you, they are Spirit and they are life." John 6:63.

"The life of Christ that gives life to the world is in His word... Every soul is to receive life from God's word for himself." D.A.390.

Did not the ten commandments proceed out of the mouth of God at Sinai? The psalmist said: "I will never forget Your commandments, for by them You have given me life." Ps.119:50,93.

At Sinai, the Israelites said, "All that the Lord has said, we will do." But they never did it! Why? Because they did not receive those words by faith! "As you receive the word in faith, it will give you power to obey." M.B.150.

And the power of God's word is creative energy: "The creative energy that called the worlds into existence is in His word. That word imparts power, it begets life. Accepted by the will, received into the soul by faith, it brings with it the life of the Infinite One. And the life which is thus received is in like manner sustained, by every word that proceeds out of the mouth of God. Matt.4:4." Education, p.126; C.O.L.38, 132.

To live by faith, then, means to live in the presence of creation, that creation is at work in us, creating all those things the word speaks to us. "The reception of the word, the bread of life, is declared to be the reception of Christ Himself." 5 Review & Herald, p.227. "We receive Christ through His word." M.B.112.

We are to let Christ reveal the creative energy of His word in and through us, a gentle, persuasive, mighty influence to re-create other souls in the beauty of the Lord our God! M.B.129.

"And I know that His commandment is life everlasting." John 12:50.

"This is the word of faith which we preach." Rom.10:8.

Believing unto righteousness!