HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,639
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 21
kland 6
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (dedication, Kevin H, Karen Y, TheophilusOne, 2 invisible), 3,125 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: SIN (singular) and sins (plural) - Hogwash or Whitewash? #45108
06/14/02 02:20 PM
06/14/02 02:20 PM
J
James Saptenno  Offline
Charter Member
Active Member 2012
Dedicated Member
Jakarta, Indonesia
Charlene.

I believe that justification that brought life to all men is Christ imputed righteousness that was given as a free gift. Sanctification is Christ imparted righteousness that will be ours if we live by faith and according to the Spirit. The first is men’s ticket to heaven and the second is our fitness for heaven.

When you have both, God will justify you because of your faith in Him, this is called justification by faith.

The question is: Does keeping and obeying the Ten Commandments shows our faith in Him? Or does a life by the Spirit without the law shows our faith in Him? Before men both have the same result, a law keeper and a Spirit led believer have the same deeds, but god see the motive in our heart. And I believe that the Spirit led believer conforms with god standard and request, they have love as fruit of the Spirit.

In His love

James S.

Re: SIN (singular) and sins (plural) - Hogwash or Whitewash? #45109
06/14/02 02:50 PM
06/14/02 02:50 PM
Ikan  Offline
Very Dedicated Member
Plowing
Well James, that's as clear as can be . May I recap what I think you are saying?

1. You say you are an Adventist still, yet you feel that Ellen White is not God's messenger and was unreliable since "I saw some contradiction according to the mood or faith she was in when she wrote these books." Gee...how do you understand someone's moods so well?

2.Of course being christian has nothing to do with registration in a church; this everyone here would agree with. It is a bit fuzzy to me from your letter whether you still attend a SDA church.
But I don't think that matters considering the circumstances you are under.

3. You claim some "new insight" about the law that sounds exactly like the same lines from any other Protestant school of thought. As an ex- catholic and perhaps once a legalist Adventist, this would be liberating news for you. But, I can't find anything earthshaking in any of it.

4. I know I cannot keep the law; I know that only Christ in me can. I just stay out of His way.
End of controversy.

Thank you for clearing this all up for me!

Now I know better where you really stand.

[ June 14, 2002, 12:02 PM: Message edited by: Ikan ]

Re: SIN (singular) and sins (plural) - Hogwash or Whitewash? #45110
06/15/02 03:48 AM
06/15/02 03:48 AM
J
James Saptenno  Offline
Charter Member
Active Member 2012
Dedicated Member
Jakarta, Indonesia
Pastor Ikan.

Well James, that's as clear as can be . May I recap what I think you are saying?

1. You say you are an Adventist still, yet you feel that Ellen White is not God's messenger and was unreliable since "I saw some contradiction according to the mood or faith she was in when she wrote these books." Gee...how do you understand someone's moods so well?

Unquote.

By comparing her writings to the bible and use the bible as the basic of all truth.

I am not comparing the bible to EGW writings and take her writings as the standard of truth.

2.Of course being christian has nothing to do with registration in a church; this everyone here would agree with. It is a bit fuzzy to me from your letter whether you still attend a SDA church.
But I don't think that matters considering the circumstances you are under.

I used the same method once used by Paul (read ……

3. You claim some "new insight" about the law that sounds exactly like the same lines from any other Protestant school of thought. As an ex- catholic and perhaps once a legalist Adventist, this would be liberating news for you. But, I can't find anything earthshaking in any of it.

Are you sure I presented exactly the same teaching as what is presented by Protestants and Pentecost churches? What I know SDA is alike with them, all teaching the Ten Commandments as a Christian standard for living, judgment and righteousness, but SDA is superior because they keep all the ten.

4. I know I cannot keep the law; I know that only Christ in me can. I just stay out of His way.
End of controversy.

I wonder how you read my “new insight”? You must wrote “I know I can not keep the law; I know that only Christ in me can. I just stay out of the way of the law in order I might be in Him by faith.”

I know where I stand, “in Christ.”

In His love

James S.

Re: SIN (singular) and sins (plural) - Hogwash or Whitewash? #45111
06/15/02 06:02 AM
06/15/02 06:02 AM
J
James Saptenno  Offline
Charter Member
Active Member 2012
Dedicated Member
Jakarta, Indonesia
Mike Lowe

posted June 13, 2002 11:34 AM

Perhaps we are misunderstanding James? I don't hear him saying that we are free to sin. He is saying that in Christ we are free from sin. He does have a strange of way of looking at the relationship between the law and condemnation. But I don't believe he is saying we are free to sin.

In essence, I hear James saying that if we keep the law we are condemned, but if we keep the faith we are saved. Which is true. He is speaking against law keeping as the means and method of our salvation. Which is also true. And he is very quick to agree that if we are in Christ, then our life will be in harmony with the principles of the law.

Unquote.

You are absolutely right!

Thanks Mike for your clarification.

In his love

James S.

Re: SIN (singular) and sins (plural) - Hogwash or Whitewash? #45112
06/15/02 04:31 PM
06/15/02 04:31 PM
G
Garywk  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

Veteran Member
Colville, Wa
I guess I'm just really dense because there is a dichotomy in the words of James Saptenno that cannot be resolved.

If Christ is in him (James) keeping the law, then how is James not keeping the law? And if James is keeping the law he is condemned to death, for keeping the 10 commandments will kill us according to James.

James, can Christ be in you keeping the law, and yet law keeping kill you? If Jesus kept the law why doesn't it kill Him too? You have stated again and again that it is sin that makes us want to keep the law. So if it is sin that makes us want to keep the law, then it is sin that caused Christ to keep the law for He is human too.

You have a very basic dichotomy in your thinking that, to me at least, cannot be resolved.

Re: SIN (singular) and sins (plural) - Hogwash or Whitewash? #45113
06/15/02 04:48 PM
06/15/02 04:48 PM
G
Garywk  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

Veteran Member
Colville, Wa
James,

When Christ is in you keeping the law is He in His own little enclosed area doing all the law keeping, and you are a separate entity from Him doing all your lawbreaking?

Imagine three circles, one large one, with two smaller ones inside that one. The large one is your body. The two smaller ones as one being your spiritual thinking and actions, and the other being Christ keeping the law. Is this how you see it?

Christ is in you, but doesn't really affect you and your actions because He is in His own distinct place doing his law keeping that doesn't affect you and your actions and you motivations?

The way you describe things this is the only kind of mental picture I can draw from your words.

The mental picture I draw from people like Charlene, IKan, and Mike Lowe is that that there is one large circle that is our body. And inside that circle we see us, and we see Christ living in us. As Christ lives in us He is not separate from us and our actions unless we make Him to be. So when Christ is keeping the law so are we. When Christ has the correct motivations to keep the law, those motivations are given to us also. Christ is not put into His own little corner inside us to do His lawkeeping, but His lawkeeping affects each and every part of us and allows us to keep the law too. Christ in me, and I in Christ. It takes both parts to make the whole.

Re: SIN (singular) and sins (plural) - Hogwash or Whitewash? #45114
06/15/02 10:54 PM
06/15/02 10:54 PM
Ikan  Offline
Very Dedicated Member
Plowing
James:Well, I will make one more attempt. Since you have a Dutch surname, I'll try Dutch first.

Vriend James,
Ik ben bang dat jouw Engels voor mij te verwarrend is om je te beantwoorden of opmerkingen te geven. Je spreekt jezelf constant tegen. Anderen op dit forum begrijpen er ook weinig meer van. Misschien is het beter als je jouw ideeën vertelt aan een groep mensen die jouw taal wel kunnen spreken.

Now English:

Friend John: I am afraid your English is much too confusing for me to answer this or future remarks. You contradict yourself constantly. It certainly has left others on this forum quite confused too. Perhaps you should consider giving your ideas to a group in your native language.

Re: SIN (singular) and sins (plural) - Hogwash or Whitewash? #45115
06/16/02 04:51 PM
06/16/02 04:51 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
What James is saying is in harmony with the what Paul wrote:

Galatians
3:19 Wherefore then [serveth] the law? It was added because of transgressions, till the seed should come to whom the promise was made; [and it was] ordained by angels in the hand of a mediator.
3:20 Now a mediator is not [a mediator] of one, but God is one.
3:21 [Is] the law then against the promises of God? God forbid: for if there had been a law given which could have given life, verily righteousness should have been by the law.
3:22 But the scripture hath concluded all under sin, that the promise by faith of Jesus Christ might be given to them that believe.
3:23 But before faith came, we were kept under the law, shut up unto the faith which should afterwards be revealed.
3:24 Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster [to bring us] unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith.
3:25 But after that faith is come, we are no longer under a schoolmaster.

We can argue Paul is talking about the ceremonial law and not the moral law of ten commandments, but EGW wrote that he's talking about all law. The law cannot save us, it only condemns us and points us to Jesus as our Saviour.

To be under the law is to be under the condemnation of the law as a law breaker. We are law breakers if we are trying to obey the law in order to be saved. Obedience has nothing to with whether or not we deserve salvation.

Our obedience or disobedience does not determine our eternal destiny. Rather accepting Jesus as our personal Saviour is what determines our eternal destiny. The law merely points us to Jesus, and once we accept Him the law has served its purpose.

Once in the care of Jesus' loving embrace He writes the law in our hearts and minds so that by faith, and not by law keeping, our experience is in harmony with the holy, just and good principles of the law, which exceeds the "Thou shalt not..." elements of the law itself.

By faith we also become partakers of the divine nature which empowers us to not only live in harmony with the law, but it also empowers us to mature in the fruit of the Spirit. According Rom 6:18 "obedience [leads] unto righteousness," which clearly means that obedience is not the same as righteousness.

Obedience is not violating the principles of the law, whereas righteousness is maturing in the fruit of the Spirit. Thus, faith enables us to experience more than just not violating the law. This distinction is important. We must learn that faith is more than law keeping. That's what Paul is trying to say in Galatians.

Re: SIN (singular) and sins (plural) - Hogwash or Whitewash? #45116
06/16/02 05:09 PM
06/16/02 05:09 PM
Charlene Van Hook  Offline
North Carolina, USA
Mike,
How do you reconcile James saying that his theology differs with what Ellen White says, so he says he rejects Ellen White.

Doesn't Ellen's writtings harmonize with the Bible? If so, wouldn't James' theology also harmonize with Ellen? But he says it does not.

Re: SIN (singular) and sins (plural) - Hogwash or Whitewash? #45117
06/16/02 06:58 PM
06/16/02 06:58 PM
Avalee  Offline
Charter Member
Active Member 2014

Most Dedicated Member
Northern CA
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Lowe:
Our obedience or disobedience does not determine our eternal destiny. Rather accepting Jesus as our personal Saviour is what determines our eternal destiny. The law merely points us to Jesus, and once we accept Him the law has served its purpose.

I see in these words from the pen of inspiration below that obedeience and disobedience play a very vital part in our eternal life. What a fatal mistake that will be to not belive this....only then it will be to late...we will not have another chance. None of this can be done by ourself..it is the Holy Spirit working in is.

quote:
Adam's disobedience to God's commands brought the human family under the death penalty. "In Adam all die," and eternal death, not eternal life, is the final punishment of all who continue in transgression. {ST, June 17, 1897 par. 4}
quote:
Sin is blinding and deceiving in its nature. Disobedience to God's commandments is too terrible to be contemplated for a moment. Sin means dishonor and disaster to every soul that indulges in transgression of God's holy law, which is immutable. {RH, October 9, 1894 par. 3}

Although the consequences and the penalty of transgression of God's law have been clearly presented in the word of truth, many are proving disloyal to the God of heaven, and are teaching their children and the world at large by both precept and example, that the law of God is no longer binding upon the human family. Thus they are cutting souls adrift from the great moral standard of righteousness. In the near future it will be demonstrated that it would be better never to have been born than to have been a transgressor of God's holy law; for disobedience means dishonor and disaster. Light is being presented from the Scriptures on this vital question, and those who give no heed to the light will have to suffer the fatal consequences of their indifference to the heavenly message. {RH, October 9, 1894 par. 4}

[ June 16, 2002, 04:02 PM: Message edited by: Avalee ]

Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/20/24 12:54 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/16/24 02:17 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by kland. 05/17/24 04:47 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!