HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,596
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 14
kland 9
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, ProdigalOne, 1 invisible), 3,263 guests, and 11 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Hell: A Literal Place Now, Later, or Both? #45335
06/04/03 02:44 AM
06/04/03 02:44 AM
D
Daniel12vs1  Offline
Posting New Member
Mocksville, NC, USA
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Daniel: The above is again obvious. When will the grave stir? The verse says AT HIS COMING! At the second coming the dead in Christ will stir, they will rise up at His call. Those that are asleep in the grave will hear His voice and stir! The righteous that is. At the end of the 1000 years we are told the wicked dead are alive again so obviously we see once again those in the grave astir, to rise to meet final judgment.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Read this text again Daniel, its referring to the coming of King of Babylon into hell after being killed (vs 4)

You know, I only quote part of these texts to save space with the understanding that you will read them all in context. So please read more than I have posted in scripture so you will have the full picture.

Daniel: You are right Lobo. I was in a real hurry this morning when I read your response. I did read the first three in depth and answered them but when I got to Isaiah 14 I did not. So I stand corrected. BUT at this point with you not challenging the first three I must assume you can see the connection we are presenting there.

quote:

Daniel: The above verses deals with who Lobo? With Lucifer, with Satan. The time will come as Rev 19 and 20 reveal all will see this one who had made the earth to tremble, who had messed with all the mighty men, turning the world into a desert, refusing to let go of God's people as did Pharaoh. They will say "this is the one that did all of that? His fate is the same as mine!"

Again, it you read the entire passage in context Isaiah is referring to Babylon. I know you will try and make that as symbolic Babylon as in Rev, but that is not the case as the very next verse talks about Assyria and the one after that talks about Philistine. So unless you have proof that those two ate symbolic, then you are left with them being the literal kingdoms. In which case you are mistaken in your interpretation.

Daniel: Ok let us now look at them again. In the KJV we see Lucifer named in verse 12. The prophecy seems to be mainly dealing with him and he IS the ultimate king of Babylon is he not? Babylon being the ultimate kingdom that is against Christ and His people. When will all the nations see him as being describe here in Isaiah 14? I see this taking place at the end of the 1000 yaers. Just food for thought my friend.

quote:

Actually it sure seems quite clear to me Lobo. The above verses CAN be reconciled with the understanding that the dead are just that... dead.

If one ignores all evidence to the contrary of their position, sure, everything is simple. However, if one is honest and weighs all evidence equally and without preconceived bias, then it is not very clear at all.

Lastly it seems you are saying that the fire is eternal but the people are not eternally burning, is that your position? If so, where is the eternally burning fire and what is the fuel that keeps this fire burning, or is it like the burning bush that is burning without fuel?

Daniel: No I am saying the fire cannot be quenched BUT when its fuel is gone it will go out. Yes the people are NOT eternally burning but are eternally destroyed, turned into ashes as indicated my Malachi. yes there is a hell but it just does not last forever as is being taught today. This would mean these people have eternal life, just a bit on the warm side.

Scripture teaches we can have eternal life ONLY if we accept Christ.

Re: Hell: A Literal Place Now, Later, or Both? #45336
06/04/03 02:58 PM
06/04/03 02:58 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered

quote:

Daniel: The above is again obvious. When will the grave stir? The verse says AT HIS COMING! At the second coming the dead in Christ will stir, they will rise up at His call. Those that are asleep in the grave will hear His voice and stir! The righteous that is. At the end of the 1000 years we are told the wicked dead are alive again so obviously we see once again those in the grave astir, to rise to meet final judgment.

Daniel, I don’t see any point in continuing this conversation if you are not going to read scripture as written. I know you desperately want it to say a certain thing to justify your current beliefs, but that simple is not the case.

“9 The grave below is all astir to meet you at your coming;…….”

It does not say at HIS coming. It says at your coming, referring back to the king opf Babylon which is the point of subject of the passage, verse 4.

quote:

Daniel: Ok let us now look at them again. In the KJV we see Lucifer named in verse 12. The prophecy seems to be mainly dealing with him and he IS the ultimate king of Babylon is he not? Babylon being the ultimate kingdom that is against Christ and His people. When will all the nations see him as being describe here in Isaiah 14? I see this taking place at the end of the 1000 yaers. Just food for thought my friend.

Gain, I think you are reading things into the text that are not there. If your point is correct, then is Lucifer also the king of Assyria and a Philistine? You appear to be making something symbolic to fit other prophesies when there is no indicate that that is appropriate in this context.

quote:

Daniel: No I am saying the fire cannot be quenched BUT when its fuel is gone it will go out. Yes the people are NOT eternally burning but are eternally destroyed, turned into ashes as indicated my Malachi. yes there is a hell but it just does not last forever as is being taught today. This would mean these people have eternal life, just a bit on the warm side.

Good point Daniel, I agree with you. I myself do not believe hell will last past the lake of fire because hell is thrown into it at the end, meaning it is destroyed or removed. So I fully agree that those that go to hell will only be there until that time and not forever. However, this fact does not negate the fact that scriptures teaches that there is a hell right now and evil souls are there right now. As I have pointed out before, I believe this is the same place as the abyss.

Re: Hell: A Literal Place Now, Later, or Both? #45337
06/04/03 06:33 PM
06/04/03 06:33 PM
D
Daniel12vs1  Offline
Posting New Member
Mocksville, NC, USA
quote:

Daniel, I don’t see any point in continuing this conversation if you are not going to read scripture as written. I know you desperately want it to say a certain thing to justify your current beliefs, but that simple is not the case.

Lobo, I do believe you missed my recognition that I was wrong about WHOSE coming it was. Sorry about the misunderstanding. Here is my acknowledgment again for the mistake:

Daniel: You are right Lobo. I was in a real hurry this morning when I read your response. I did read the first three in depth and answered them but when I got to Isaiah 14 I did not. So I stand corrected. BUT at this point with you not challenging the first three I must assume you can see the connection we are presenting there.

So I agree with you it is NOT Christ's coming being discussed here but the coming of the "King of Babylon" And yes I do believe this is a prophecy dealing mostly with Lucifer as the KJV strongly suggests. And yes Lucifer being the prince of THIS world basically has ALL kingdoms under his "thumb". While it is true God is the ultimate ruler Satan does have control of those who have yielded to him do you not think so? As we look around in the history of mankind we certainly can see Satan manifesting his character through many nations and then God stepping in and saying "that is enough".

And again Yes I look at what Isaiah is saying as a prophecy, not necessarily a decree of judgment against JUST literal Babylon and its literal human king. It certainly could have some dual applications, I am sure you would not deny that.

-----------------------
Lobo: Good point Daniel, I agree with you. I myself do not believe hell will last past the lake of fire because hell is thrown into it at the end, meaning it is destroyed or removed. So I fully agree that those that go to hell will only be there until that time and not forever. However, this fact does not negate the fact that scriptures teaches that there is a hell right now and evil souls are there right now. As I have pointed out before, I believe this is the same place as the abyss.

Daniel: I am sure you understand we as SDA's do not accept nor believe in the immortal soul. Scripture states only God is immortal. But putting that aside for a moment do you believe that our Heavenly Father is a just God? I am sure you do. How just is it for a let us say a teenager who died outside the ark of safety 4000 years ago. He was not a REAL bad kid but was still a sinner not accepting God's provisions. Now here we are almost 4000 years later and we have an Adolf Hitler. Are you suggesting that this teenager was punished for 4000 years LONGER then Hitler who, according to your understanding, only entered into hell about 50 years ago1 Does this sound just? Not to me my friend. Food for thought.

Yours in Christ
Daniel

Re: Hell: A Literal Place Now, Later, or Both? #45338
06/04/03 10:16 PM
06/04/03 10:16 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered

quote:

Daniel: I am sure you understand we as SDA's do not accept nor believe in the immortal soul. Scripture states only God is immortal. But putting that aside for a moment do you believe that our Heavenly Father is a just God? I am sure you do. How just is it for a let us say a teenager who died outside the ark of safety 4000 years ago. He was not a REAL bad kid but was still a sinner not accepting God's provisions. Now here we are almost 4000 years later and we have an Adolf Hitler. Are you suggesting that this teenager was punished for 4000 years LONGER then Hitler who, according to your understanding, only entered into hell about 50 years ago1 Does this sound just? Not to me my friend. Food for thought.

Daniel,

First, let me clear up something; I do not believe the soul is immortal. Immortality is always conditional and granted by God, it does not exist outside of that relationship. So if souls live on it is only through God granting that ability not through some endemic quality.

Next, I don’t think the test of what scripture does or doesn’t mean is our ability to rationalize or understand God and His judgments. So whether or not we think something is just or not just has no bearing on the truth.

Lastly, on this same issue maybe you have hit upon the reason Jesus went and preached to the souls dead in the flood while He was dead for those three days? Maybe they have another chance because of their inability to know and understand Jesus as the messiah?

“18For Christ died for sins once for all, the righteous for the unrighteous, to bring you to God. He was put to death in the body but made alive by the Spirit, 19through whom also he went and preached to the spirits in prison 20who disobeyed long ago when God waited patiently in the days of Noah while the ark was being built. In it only a few people, eight in all, were saved through water,” 1 Peter 3

Re: Hell: A Literal Place Now, Later, or Both? #45339
06/06/03 07:24 AM
06/06/03 07:24 AM
M
marcel  Offline
Posting New Member
Cape Town, South Africa
I haven't had time to read all the posts so hope I'm not repeating anything.

I read about the Jewish concept of Hell on a Jewish web-site.

Interestingly the Jewish beleif is that there is a hell and heaven as actual places although they don't go into much detail or studies of what they will be like. They say that people should not bother too much about these things and leave it in God's hands.

They also beleive that people will not stay in Hell for more than about a year during which time they will have the opportunity to change their ways and enter heaven or if they don't they will be annihilated.

So it seems as if at least part of the SDA believe re hell is based on possibly "catholic" teachings.

Re: Hell: A Literal Place Now, Later, or Both? #45340
06/06/03 01:09 PM
06/06/03 01:09 PM
D
Daniel12vs1  Offline
Posting New Member
Mocksville, NC, USA
quote:

Daniel,

First, let me clear up something; I do not believe the soul is immortal. Immortality is always conditional and granted by God, it does not exist outside of that relationship. So if souls live on it is only through God granting that ability not through some endemic quality.

Daniel: Praise the LORD! I guess we are not to far apart in all of this now are we?

Lobo: Next, I don’t think the test of what scripture does or doesn’t mean is our ability to rationalize or understand God and His judgments. So whether or not we think something is just or not just has no bearing on the truth.

Daniel: True BUT still God has given us a sense of what justice is has He not? The concept does not nor would be cosdidered less just then our own concepts and what does Job say?

(Job 4:17 KJV) "Shall mortal man be more just than God? shall a man be more pure than his maker?"

The obvious answer is of course not! Our God IS a God of justice, truth, mercy and LOVE! Love does not punish unjustly.

Lobo: Lastly, on this same issue maybe you have hit upon the reason Jesus went and preached to the souls dead in the flood while He was dead for those three days? Maybe they have another chance because of their inability to know and understand Jesus as the messiah?

“18For Christ died for sins once for all, the righteous for the unrighteous, to bring you to God. He was put to death in the body but made alive by the Spirit, 19through whom also he went and preached to the spirits in prison 20who disobeyed long ago when God waited patiently in the days of Noah while the ark was being built. In it only a few people, eight in all, were saved through water,” 1 Peter 3

Daniel: It is interesting that you should bring into this the above verse. Does it say Christ went AFTER His death to those who died in the flood? No it says Christ THROUGH His spirit visited those who disobeyed WHILE the ark was being built. BUT only eight were saved the rest lost. Scripture makes it clear we all die THEN comes the judgment, we are all judged according to the deeds we have done in the flesh. There is NO second chance, we only have ONE.

But anyway certainly have enjoyed our discussion.

Yours in Christ
Daniel

Re: Hell: A Literal Place Now, Later, or Both? #45341
06/06/03 05:24 PM
06/06/03 05:24 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered

Daniel, I think you should read this text again.

Please notice the sequence of the sentences and who is being discussed.

1) “He was put to death but made alive by the spirit” – This indicates that whatever occurs after this sentence to Jesus would be related to Him being alive by the spirit or in spirit. So this was after His death and not during the time of Noah.

2) “Through whom also” – This is a reference to the previous sentence where Jesus was made alive by the spirit. Therefore, this can only refer to the spirit.

3) “He went and preached to the spirits in prison” – The “He” is a reference to Jesus. And it clearly states He went and preached to SPIRITS in PRISON. The reference to spirits is clearly not humans that are alive and the reference to prison is consistent with descriptions of the abyss where angels are held in chains (Jude).

4) ”who disobeyed long ago”….. – a reference to the previous sentence subject which was the spirits in prison.

So Daniel, it is clear that Jesus was alive through the spirit and went to preach to SPIRITS in PRISON and these spirits were those that disobeyed during the time of the flood. I believe anyone with an open mind can see that is what this texts states.

==========

Formatting correction only. - Daryl

[ June 06, 2003, 03:20 PM: Message edited by: Daryl Fawcett ]

Re: Hell: A Literal Place Now, Later, or Both? #45342
06/08/03 03:49 AM
06/08/03 03:49 AM
B
Boblee  Offline
Keene, TX, USA
Lobo,

Your reconstruction of I Peter 3:18 is interesting, but rather skewed. Jesus was "made alive by the Spirit" alright, but He was made alive Sunday morning not during the time He was dead (see v 22). And yes, through the Spirit Jesus "preached to the spirits in prison who disobeyed . . . in the days of Noah while the ark was being built," but as I pointed out before, the only time Jesus could preach to those spirits was while they were alive. That, as the text specifically states, was in the days of Noah.

Bob Lee

Re: Hell: A Literal Place Now, Later, or Both? #45343
06/09/03 05:45 PM
06/09/03 05:45 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered

So now your explanation is that Jude is calling living people “Spirits”? And don’t confuse this from having a spirit. Jude literally stated “spirits”. So can you tell me where any other writer in all scripture called a living person a “spirit”?

It seems to me that you are really reaching to make this text not say what most would agree it literal does say.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/25/24 09:37 AM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 04/01/24 08:10 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 04/24/24 02:15 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!