HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,597
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 14
kland 9
Daryl 3
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (Kevin H, Karen Y, Daryl, 1 invisible), 3,143 guests, and 19 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
Re: What Is The Truth About The Eating Today Of Unclean Meat Such As Pork? #46681
08/16/03 02:29 AM
08/16/03 02:29 AM
B
Bob Pickle  Offline
Active Member 2013
Dedicated Member
Halstad, MN
quote:
How can Paul?s statement here (2 Cor 6:17) not be connected to marriage, but his statement in 1 Cor 10:25 must be connected to food offered to idols? You are being inconsistent.
No, for in 1 Cor. 10:25 we have Paul's own words, and in 2 Cor. 6:17 we have his quotation of another Bible writer's words that in and of themselves are not directly connected to marriage.

Paul takes that OT passage and applies the "separate" part to marriage. The part about not touching the unclean thing he does not explicitly apply to marriage. If you disagree, please tell us what unclean thing he was talking about.

As far as after the flood goes, the passage says that every remes that liveth could be eaten. You'll notice that the first chapters of Genesis speak of remes as if that category of creature did not include all animals.

You are correct that the prohibition against blood was not the only precept given at that time. They also were forbidden to eat animals that were already dead.
quote:
Next, if the idea was to have no unclean animals, that failed miserably didn?t it.
I don't understand this statement. Of course scavengers were needed after the Flood, but not for sacrifices or for eating.

So you really think Noah had 7 gazelles on board for sacrifices, not for eating? There doesn't seem to be any reference in the Bible to sacrificing game animals, except on one occasion: after the Flood. So I don't think we can assume that the extra clean were taken onboard only for sacrifices.
quote:
Gentile converts to Judaism or those living inside the Jewish communities has no bearing on gentile people living outside the Jewish communities or gentiles as a people.
Prove it. Thus far this has only been conjecture on your part.

The fact that Lev. 11 and Deut. 14 are only addressed to Israelites, and that the reference in Lev. 17 mentions what it does only in passing, suggests that it was already well understood that these precepts applied to Gentiles.
quote:
The FACT is that gentiles as a people were not given any of the OT laws other that that of Noah ( Ps 147:19-20)
Prove it if you can. You really don't know what all God told the Gentiles, and neither do I.

Obviously, they knew enough for the 3 wise men to come from afar. Ancient Chinese characters mirror biblical stories and prophecies. We only have a glimpse of the light the Gentiles had.

Some things got obscured over time, but some of the myths still have a grain of truth. It was a woman in one story that opened Pandora's box and brought evil upon the world. Another story has a woman eating something she shouldn't that brings the evil. Achilles dies by a wound to the ankle, like the prophecy that foretold that Satan would bruise Christ's heel.

quote:
So unless you also believe these things will be occurring on the new earth, then you are mistaken about the timeframe.
Or perhaps you are mistaken in your time frame. Some of the events described take place at the second coming, not in the new earth. The dead bodies lying around would take place then.

Bottom line is that this passage says that if you're still eating that filthy dirty swine when Christ returns, you won't be going anywhere.
quote:
This is contrary to scripture.
But I showed you how Lev. 11 and Deut. 14 give holiness as the reason for abstaining. Are you saying that Lev. 11 and Deut. 14 are against Scripture? I don't understand what you mean.

I already dealt with Matt 15:11, remember? Eating poison does defile our body temple. Eating too much of a good thing is called gluttony, and will keep us out of heaven, according to Paul. But it's the choice to eat it that defiles the soul, not the food itself.

Regarding Acts 15, remember how we already discussed that one too? Acts 15 isn't telling us that Gentiles can murder and steal and lie, even though the four necessary things didn't include those precepts. So not everything was mentioned in that chapter that gentiles are required to keep.

quote:
You are correct, because pork by itself was never the issue. The issue was all meat that had previously been considered unclean.
Well then, please cite some passage that explicitly mentions that we can eat unclean animals as defined by Lev. 11 and Deut. 14. If you can do that, then the case is closed.

quote:
Paul saying to eat "anything" sold in a pagan meat market ...
Can you prove that Paul was not talking to any Jews? Are you suggesting that the church in Corinth had no Jews in the congregation? Or are you suggesting that Jews now could eat swine, even though Peter had never done so years after the cross?

Re: What Is The Truth About The Eating Today Of Unclean Meat Such As Pork? #46682
08/25/03 10:39 PM
08/25/03 10:39 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered

quote:

As far as after the flood goes, the passage says that every remes that liveth could be eaten. You'll notice that the first chapters of Genesis speak of remes as if that category of creature did not include all animals.

Remes = “creeping things, moving things, creeping organism” (Strongs)

“9 And he said to me, "Go in and see the wicked and detestable things they are doing here." 10 So I went in and looked, and I saw portrayed all over the walls all kinds of crawling things [remes] and detestable animals and all the idols of the house of Israel.” Eze 8

Sorry Bob, looks like “remes” was used for unclean things. So there is no basis to believe it did not include all animals as the term “all” indicates.

quote:

quote:

Gentile converts to Judaism or those living inside the Jewish communities has no bearing on gentile people living outside the Jewish communities or gentiles as a people.

Prove it. Thus far this has only been conjecture on your part.

“19 He has revealed his word to Jacob, his laws and decrees to Israel. 20 He has done this for no other nation; they do not know his laws.” Ps 147

Consider it proven!

quote:

quote:

The FACT is that gentiles as a people were not given any of the OT laws other that that of Noah ( Ps 147:19-20)

Prove it if you can. You really don't know what all God told the Gentiles, and neither do I.

“14But when the apostles Barnabas and Paul heard of this, they tore their clothes and rushed out into the crowd, shouting: 15"Men, why are you doing this? We too are only men, human like you. We are bringing you good news, telling you to turn from these worthless things to the living God, who made heaven and earth and sea and everything in them. 16In the past, he let all nations go their own way. 17Yet he has not left himself without testimony: He has shown kindness by giving you rain from heaven and crops in their seasons; he provides you with plenty of food and fills your hearts with joy." Acts 14

Consider it proven!

quote:

quote:

So unless you also believe these things will be occurring on the new earth, then you are mistaken about the timeframe.

Or perhaps you are mistaken in your time frame. Some of the events described take place at the second coming, not in the new earth. The dead bodies lying around would take place then.

Contextually my understanding is accurate.

Re: What Is The Truth About The Eating Today Of Unclean Meat Such As Pork? #46683
08/30/03 07:58 PM
08/30/03 07:58 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Charlene Van Hook:
[QB] Counsels on Diet and Foods----PG- 392
694. The tissues of the swine swarm with parasites. Of the swine, God said, "It is unclean unto you; ye shall not eat of their flesh, nor touch their dead carcass." This command was given because swine's flesh is unfit for food. Swine are scavengers, and this is the only use they were intended to serve. Never, under any circumstances, was their flesh to be
eaten by human beings.

Good quotes Charlene

The actual name of the organism is the trichina worm, which is a parasite. It likes to burrow into your joint linings,and muscle tissue; and cause slow destruction, leaving people to think they have rheumatism; when in fact, they have "hogmatism." [Smile]

Re: What Is The Truth About The Eating Today Of Unclean Meat Such As Pork? #46684
09/01/03 10:39 PM
09/01/03 10:39 PM
S
StanMcCluskey  Offline
Naches, WA
Topic of this thread: What Is The Truth About The Eating Today Of Unclean Meat Such As Pork?

The present standing of the SDA church on this subject was adopted during the latter part of the 19th century. There had been much discussion on whether-or-not the laws of Moses concerning clean and unclean meat should should apply today. Uriah Smith, among others, was strongly opposed to that.

It was finally agreed that we should not be bound by the Moaic law, but instead take our stand on the much broader principles of health, as stated in verses such as Romans 12:1 and 1 Corinthians 10:31.

This was readily accepted by all since by then it was generally agreed in recognized health circles that the eating of such things as pork and bottom-feeding fish was not healthful.

This demonstrates how God has dealt with His people on matters of health over the centuries. He did not help them find new and dramatic discoveries; for His primary goal has always been to reach the heart with the message of saving grace.

BUT NOTE THIS WITH CARE: God has ALWAYS pointed His people to THE BEST MEANS OF PRESERVING AND RESTORING HEALTH AVAILABLE AT THE TIME.

This was true in ancient Israel, and it was true with the instructions given through Ellen G. White. Out of the many choices available, God always pointed to the best; but He did NOT reveal any NEW scientific discoveries to His prophets.

Many are confused on this issue today, and point to the so-called "sin" of using modern medical procedures and drugs, instead of the 19th century "natural remedies" Ellen White pointed to as the very best means available at that time. Note her use of the then-new MIASMA (bad air)theory as the BEST of several 19th century THEORIES for the cause of disease - a theory which led to developing greater cleanliness, resulting in better health.
quote:
If a house is built where the water will settle around it, remaining for a time and slowly drying away, there is a poisonous MIASMA continually rising from the damp ground, which breeds sore throat, fevers, ague, or lung diseases. CTBH.107

So far as possible, all buildings intended for human habitation should be placed on high, well-drained ground. This will ensure a dry site and prevent the danger of disease from dampness and MIASMA. MH 274.

But EGW progressed in her use and recommendations as new scientific discoveries proved practical. By accepting miasma (bad air) as the cause of disease in the mid-19th century, she directed us toward cleanliness as a major need in maintaining health. And she pointed out the need to avoid "poisonous drugs" in an attempt to heal.

This led to establishing the Battle Creek Sanitarium as somewhat of a "Natural Remedies" facility.

But by the time Loma Linda was chosen as the location for a new medical school; she had accepted the "germ theory" for the cause of infectious diseases, received several x-ray treatments for a skin condition, had been given a smallpox vaccination, and was suggesting the school be set up so graduates would be fully qualified as ALLOPATHIC physicians, rather than naturopathic.

Concerning this she wrote,
quote:
A time will come when medical missionaries of other denominations will become jealous and envious of the influence exerted by Seventh-day Adventists who are working in these (medical) lines. They will feel that influence is being secured by our workers which they ought to have. Ellen White in ME 4/1/1910.
That is being fulfilled today in a most wonderful way.

Let's use the writings of EGW in a common sense way.

Re: What Is The Truth About The Eating Today Of Unclean Meat Such As Pork? #46685
09/02/03 09:34 PM
09/02/03 09:34 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered

quote:

This demonstrates how God has dealt with His people on matters of health over the centuries. He did not help them find new and dramatic discoveries; for His primary goal has always been to reach the heart with the message of saving grace.

Stan, I totally agree. To abstain from any food on the basis of health is appropriate. However, you are making assumptions when you say that the clean and unclean foods distinction was for health. The fact is that this distinction was first given for ceremonial reasons, not health. In fact, the first time it was given was for Noah and animals for sacrifices not eating. However, it must have been in place even sooner because of the sacrifices Cain and Able made. It was not until Moses that the clean and unclean distinction was extended to animals related to eating.

So to say that the clean and unclean distinction was for health is to discount its original meaning.

Also, even when it was extended to food the distinction was clearly still ceremonial, for example:

“If anyone touches something unclean-whether human uncleanness or an unclean animal or any unclean, detestable thing-and then eats any of the meat of the fellowship offering belonging to the LORD , that person must be cut off from his people.” Lev 7:21

Clearly touching someone who is considered unclean, like a women during her period (Lev 12:5), clearly is not a health issue. And so the unclean distinction is ceremonial in nature as Jesus clearly points out:

“14Again Jesus called the crowd to him and said, "Listen to me, everyone, and understand this. 15Nothing outside a man can make him 'unclean' by going into him. Rather, it is what comes out of a man that makes him 'unclean.' " 17After he had left the crowd and entered the house, his disciples asked him about this parable. 18"Are you so dull?" he asked. "Don't you see that nothing that enters a man from the outside can make him 'unclean'?” Mark 7

I find it very interesting that Jesus called his disciples “dull” who could not get this concept:)

Re: What Is The Truth About The Eating Today Of Unclean Meat Such As Pork? #46686
09/03/03 01:56 AM
09/03/03 01:56 AM
S
StanMcCluskey  Offline
Naches, WA
Lobo,

I choose not to discuss OT restrictions on this thread. My emphasis above was to show how SDAs developed our health policies based on eternal PRINCIPLES, rather than on the Mosaic law. But I do believe God provided people in OT times with the very best instructions available for living healthful lives and avoiding the spread of communicable disease.

Read again what I wrote about develoment of SDA health policies based on Bible principles:
quote:
It was finally agreed that we should not be bound by the Moaic law, but instead take our stand on the much broader PRINCIPLES of health, as stated in verses such as Romans 12:1 and 1 Corinthians 10:31.
On that basis, we try to avoid many things not included in the Mosaic law, and include many health practices not listed there.

Christ lived a PRINCIPLE-based life. I pray we will ask the leading of the Holy Spirit in doing the same; for PRINCIPLES are eternal.

Re: What Is The Truth About The Eating Today Of Unclean Meat Such As Pork? #46687
09/03/03 04:41 PM
09/03/03 04:41 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered

Stan, what “eternal principles” are you referring to and how are they supported scripturally?

Re: What Is The Truth About The Eating Today Of Unclean Meat Such As Pork? #46688
09/03/03 11:22 PM
09/03/03 11:22 PM
G
Greg Goodchild  Offline
Placerville, CA
Lobo:
Do you eat port and why? If you were among the children of Israel in the wilderness would you have asked for quail?

Re: What Is The Truth About The Eating Today Of Unclean Meat Such As Pork? #46689
09/04/03 02:54 PM
09/04/03 02:54 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered

Greg, I’m not sure what “port” is, but if you mean “pork” I would say no. If you review my posts you will see that I have no objections to people limiting their diets for health reasons. My objection is when people make that a moral issue that applies to all. That is what I object to and what I believe scripture objects to as well.

So for my own health reasons I rarely eat anything that you would consider “unclean” in the OT. In fact, I don’t even eat beef. But I don’t believe it’s a moral issue and don’t judge others who do eat these things.

Greg, if I was in the wilderness I would have asked for manna. I believe nothing could compare to the health benefits of a food that comes directly from God.

Re: What Is The Truth About The Eating Today Of Unclean Meat Such As Pork? #46690
09/06/03 05:47 AM
09/06/03 05:47 AM
G
Greg Goodchild  Offline
Placerville, CA
Was it Jesus that gave the pork laws? Why did He give them in the wilderness? Was it a moral issue in the OT?

Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/25/24 09:37 AM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 04/24/24 02:15 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!