HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,628
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 24
kland 13
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, Nadi, 3 invisible), 3,156 guests, and 11 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
What Is The Truth About The Abyss: What & Where Is It? #46762
11/11/03 09:03 PM
11/11/03 09:03 PM
Daryl  Offline
OP
Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
This topic was created at the request of Lobo and Mark Shipowick.

What then is the truth about the Abyss?

What is the Abyss and where is it?

Re: What Is The Truth About The Abyss: What & Where Is It? #46763
11/11/03 10:26 PM
11/11/03 10:26 PM
L
Lobo  Offline
SW Washington State
Thanks Daryl

To get this started I will post the following texts: Luke 8:30-31, 2 Pet 2:4, Jude 1:6, and Rev 9:1-2, 11

The key to this, I believe, is the fact that the demon in Luke 8:30 was already located on this earth when he was begging Jesus to not send him to the abyss. So logically this would preclude the abyss from being the earth, at least at that moment in time. In addition, Jesus agreed not to send the demon to the abyss and put him in the pigs. Well, the story goes that the pigs go over the cliff and die, which then released the demon back on this earth. So again, if this earth is the abyss, and Jesus agreed not to send him to the abyss, then Jesus did not keep his word because the demon ended up right back on this earth after the pigs died. This again shows that this earth cannot be where the abyss is located.

So I feel the above texts support the following: the abyss is not this earth and that evil angels (Demons) have been sent there and are held there until the end.

Now, some feel that the reason the bible seems to record so many demon possessions as opposed to modern day times is that most all the demons, accept for Satan, are currently locked in the abyss. This they feel occurred at the cross and is supported by the following texts:

Colossians 2
14having canceled the written code, with its regulations, that was against us and that stood opposed to us; he took it away, nailing it to the cross. 15And having disarmed the powers and authorities, he made a public spectacle of them, triumphing over them by the cross.

Ephesians 4
8 Therefore it says, "WHEN HE ASCENDED ON HIGH, HE LED CAPTIVE A HOST OF CAPTIVES, AND HE GAVE GIFTS TO MEN."

Re: What Is The Truth About The Abyss: What & Where Is It? #46764
11/12/03 10:14 AM
11/12/03 10:14 AM
C
Charity  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2020

4500+ Member
USA
Scripture as you point out Lobo indicates that the abyss is a real place and not on this earth - a holding tank for demons. The destructive power of Satan has always been held in check by God, and Satan's ability to tempt and deceive have been limited too. And of course we know and thank God that the cross is the barrier that God has raised for us against Satan and his host.

But the abyss seems to be quite close to us. Anyone who has struggled with temptation can testify that the abyss can beckon with a hellish intensity.

And prophecy indicates that the efforts of hell at the end of earth's history in alluring mankind to deception and destruction will meet with such success that it will in effect release the forces of evil so that they have unwonted freedom to work their will through the majority of mankind in the earth. This is what Revelation 9 is referring to I think. But the prophecy goes on to show that the drama comes to a climax and triumphant close when the temple in heaven opens and humanity sees that it is Christ the Word that they have been warring against. As the saints rejoice in that revelation the wicked will say, like one of earth's great general's exclaimed too late, "Christ was too much for me".

Re: What Is The Truth About The Abyss: What & Where Is It? #46765
11/12/03 10:22 AM
11/12/03 10:22 AM
C
Charity  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2020

4500+ Member
USA
quote:

9:2 And he opened the bottomless pit; and there arose a smoke out of the pit, as the smoke of a great furnace; and the sun and the air were darkened by reason of the smoke of the pit.
9:3 And there came out of the smoke locusts upon the earth: and unto them was given power, as the scorpions of the earth have power.
9:10 And they had tails like unto scorpions, and there were stings in their tails: and their power [was] to hurt men five months.
9:11 And they had a king over them, [which is] the angel of the bottomless pit, whose name in the Hebrew tongue [is] Abaddon, but in the Greek tongue hath [his] name Apollyon.

11:15 And the seventh angel sounded; and there were great voices in heaven, saying, The kingdoms of this world are become [the kingdoms] of our Lord, and of his Christ; and he shall reign for ever and ever.
11:16 And the four and twenty elders, which sat before God on their seats, fell upon their faces, and worshipped God,
11:17 Saying, We give thee thanks, O Lord God Almighty, which art, and wast, and art to come; because thou hast taken to thee thy great power, and hast reigned.
11:18 And the nations were angry, and thy wrath is come, and the time of the dead, that they should be judged, and that thou shouldest give reward unto thy servants the prophets, and to the saints, and them that fear thy name, small and great; and shouldest destroy them which destroy the earth.
11:19 And the temple of God was opened in heaven, and there was seen in his temple the ark of his testament: and there were lightnings, and voices, and thunderings, and an earthquake, and great hail.

Re: What Is The Truth About The Abyss: What & Where Is It? #46766
11/13/03 04:11 AM
11/13/03 04:11 AM
L
Lobo  Offline
SW Washington State
Mark,
I don’t disagree with you, but you stated that the abyss is literally a place and then talk symbolically about it for the rest of your post. So are the things connected with the abyss as stated in revelation real or symbolic.

How can it be a real place but the ting connected to it symbolic?

Re: What Is The Truth About The Abyss: What & Where Is It? #46767
11/13/03 09:40 AM
11/13/03 09:40 AM
C
Charity  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2020

4500+ Member
USA
Well, the demons are real, but their actions and the effect of their actions are portrayed symbolically in Chapter 9. Also, because demons work through humanity, chapter 9 gives us information on how they do this. The symbols help identify who they work through during the final three trumpets. But I don’t think I’ll be able to go into that now. If you have thoughts on that, I’ll be glad to read them

Re: What Is The Truth About The Abyss: What & Where Is It? #46768
11/14/03 04:09 AM
11/14/03 04:09 AM
L
Lobo  Offline
SW Washington State
Mark, why do you feel the demons actions in Rev 9 are symbolic?

When you read Revelation it seems clear that John was faithfully writing down what he say in terms he understood. So while these terms and symbols he uses may have made sense to him, they don’t quite make sense to us, so we think they are symbolic. However, I believe only the terms used to describe the events are symbolic because John didn’t know what he was seeing. For example, a helicopter looks a lot like a locust. So if you were John how would you describe seeing a helicopter for the first time?

So I believe the events and things described by John are literal, he just used familiar terms to describe things he was unfamiliar with. So for us to understand this we need to try and see it through John’s eyes to understand what he really saw in out terms.

For example, Rev 9:3-11 describes the following:

“3And out of the smoke locusts came down upon the earth and were given power like that of scorpions of the earth. 4They were told not to harm the grass of the earth or any plant or tree, but only those people who did not have the seal of God on their foreheads. 5They were not given power to kill them, but only to torture them for five months. And the agony they suffered was like that of the sting of a scorpion when it strikes a man. 6During those days men will seek death, but will not find it; they will long to die, but death will elude them. 7The locusts looked like horses prepared for battle. On their heads they wore something like crowns of gold, and their faces resembled human faces. 8Their hair was like women's hair, and their teeth were like lions' teeth. 9They had breastplates like breastplates of iron, and the sound of their wings was like the thundering of many horses and chariots rushing into battle. 10They had tails and stings like scorpions, and in their tails they had power to torment people for five months. 11They had as king over them the angel of the Abyss, whose name in Hebrew is Abaddon, and in Greek, Apollyon.”

Verses 3-7 indicates that the locust can hurt men but not kill them. It also indicates that they don’t harm anything else like the grass, etc..

Then, in the proceeding verses they are described as making the sound of thundering horses, inflict pain from their tails, and had a man face.

Well, based on John description and using terms we are familiar with today I conclude that this is a helicopter John is talking about. They look like locust; sound like thundering horses; the military ones launch missiles from it’s tail, and they have a big glass font where you can see the man’s face flying it. Also, the idea of hurting man without harming tress or grass is consistent with biological weapons.

So if we believe we are in the last days we should consider translating Rev in terms we understand, just like John did, to understand what he was actually seeing.

There is a great danger in automatically assuming everything in scripture that is not described in modern terms is symbolic or not an actual physical event. That danger is that we loose the actual intent of the writer and my trivialize what is actually literal.

Re: What Is The Truth About The Abyss: What & Where Is It? #46769
11/14/03 11:03 AM
11/14/03 11:03 AM
C
Charity  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2020

4500+ Member
USA
Good point Lobo. We need to interpret prophecy literally unless there is good reason to make a symbolic interpretation. I think there my be here, but I can't give the reasons now.

Are there any parts of Revelation that you interpret symbolically? Which parts of Revelation do you think pinpoint where we stand today? Revelation 3 last part? Revelation 12 last part? Revelation 14:6 and forward?

Re: What Is The Truth About The Abyss: What & Where Is It? #46770
11/14/03 05:43 PM
11/14/03 05:43 PM
L
Lobo  Offline
SW Washington State
Mark, your question implies that I believe Revelation is chronological. Well, you are in luck because that is what I actually do believe.

As far as where we are in end time events, I don’t know. I’m open to suggestions in that regard.

Lastly, as far as symbolic things in Revelation, I would have to say that the beasts seem symbolic because no such animals exist in nature. However, like the rest of Revelation, I believe John was describing what he saw. So the question is were these symbols that he saw on something? Or did God show John actual beasts that represent traits, regions, or symbols of nations? I.e. the Bear is Russia, etc..

The weird thing is that Revelation is not a sealed book. So we should be able to understand it. However, there is a string correlation between Daniel and Revelation and Daniel is a sealed but. So I suspect that when Daniel becomes an unsealed book it will also reveal things about revelation.

Re: What Is The Truth About The Abyss: What & Where Is It? #46771
11/14/03 11:55 PM
11/14/03 11:55 PM
C
Charity  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2020

4500+ Member
USA
Daniel and Revelation follow the same pattern - that is they both repeat and expand. So the elements within a vision or section of the books are generally chrononogical, but the time line is repeated several times. In Daniel the begining and ending points of the time lines are easier to identify, I'd say, than in Revelation. Daniel is unsealed at the time of the end, and I believe that we are in that period.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!