HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,605
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 15
kland 9
Daryl 3
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, ProdigalOne, Kevin H, 2 invisible), 3,107 guests, and 21 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: Is "Polygamy" a Sin? #47353
09/17/05 06:15 AM
09/17/05 06:15 AM
Will  Offline
Most Dedicated Member
BC, Canada
What about being given permission to sleep with another woman as in the case of Abraham, Sarah & Hagar? Adultery was a known sin in those times as seen in Joseph's situation with Potiphar's wife.
As a result of abraham sleeping with Hagar and Sarah Isaac & Ishmael were born, the start of 2 nations Arabs & Hebrews. Where was the rebuke to Abraham for that, and even when Hagar was run off by Sarah God appeared to her and told her to go back, and not one word said or implied about comitting adultery?
Any thoughts?
God Bless & Happy Sabbath,
Will

Re: Is "Polygamy" a Sin? #47354
09/17/05 11:14 AM
09/17/05 11:14 AM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Will,

“After the birth of Isaac the great joy manifested by Abraham and Sarah caused Hagar to be very jealous. ... Sarah saw the disposition manifested by Ishmael against her son Isaac, and she was greatly moved. She related to Abraham the disrespectful conduct of Ishmael to her and to her son Isaac, and said to him, ‘Cast out this bondwoman and her son; for the son of this bondwoman shall not be heir with my son, even with Isaac.’
“Abraham was greatly distressed. Ishmael was his son, beloved by him. How could he send him away? He prayed to God in his perplexity, for he knew not what course to take. The Lord informed Abraham, through His angels, to listen to the voice of Sarah his wife, ... For this was the only course he could pursue to restore harmony and happiness again to his family. Abraham had the consoling promise from the angel, that Ishmael, although separated from his father's house, should not die nor be forsaken of God, that he should be preserved because he was the son of Abraham. God also promised to make of Ishmael a great nation....
“His [Abraham’s] strong spirit suffered much. He was bowed with grief, and his paternal feelings were deeply moved as he sent away Hagar and his son Ishmael to wander as strangers in a strange land.
If God had sanctioned polygamy, He would not have thus directed Abraham to send away Hagar and her son. He would teach all a lesson in this, that the rights and happiness of the marriage relation are to be ever respected and guarded, even at a great sacrifice. Sarah was the first and only true wife of Abraham. She was entitled to rights, as a wife and mother, which no other could have in the family. She reverenced her husband, calling him lord, but she was jealous lest his affections should be divided with Hagar. God did not rebuke Sarah for the course she pursued. Abraham was reproved by the angels for distrusting God's power, which had led him to take Hagar as his wife and to think that through her the promise would be fulfilled.” {SR 79, 80}

Also, I don't agree that God wasn't concerned with polygamy. The fact that the Bible records the negative results of polygamy is proof that God condemns it.
The problem is that God doesn't send a message of warning through a prophet every time His children choose to sin. He speaks through the Holy Spirit. He has already given instruction in His Word and expects His children to obey it. God only intervened in mercy with David, otherwise he would be led to utter ruin, and in mercy to Israel, for David's sin cast reproach upon God's name and tended to lower the standard of godliness in the nation.

Re: Is "Polygamy" a Sin? #47355
09/18/05 03:15 AM
09/18/05 03:15 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Just to be clear on my comment, I didn't say God was not concerned with polygamy, but that He was more concerned about other things.

Re: Is "Polygamy" a Sin? #47356
04/28/06 04:20 PM
04/28/06 04:20 PM
Daryl  Offline
OP
Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
Quote:

David had the law and was well aware that he was violating it. The fact that this was a common practice of other kings around Israel was no excuse for his violation of the law; besides the 10 Commandments, he had the warning of Deut. 17:17, as Tom pointed out. The problem is that David was excusing his own sinful course to himself.
His sin of polygamy led him to the sin of adultery and murder.
It would probably have been useless for God to have sent a prophet before this point, for David was resisting the Spirit of God and probably would have despised the reproof and turned against the prophet. Why is it that often human beings must hit the bottom of the barrel before God can reach them?

Good point!

What, then are groups, like the LDS, basing their pologamy actions on?

In His Love, Mercy & Grace,

Daryl smile

John 8:32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

http://www.christians-discuss.com/forum/index.php
Re: Is "Polygamy" a Sin? #47357
04/28/06 04:59 PM
04/28/06 04:59 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered

What do you know. I discussed this in a chatroom this morning and here it shows up. We may dislike polygamy for whatever the reasons may be but it cannot be because God disapproves of it. God never shows displeasure of polygamy. After Abraham He never said anything about it. He obviously knows what to do when something is unacceptable as at Sodom and the Tower of Babel. The strange thing is that we have no problem with serial polygamy in the name of divorce and remarriage. Christ says clearly why divorce is never good but prefer to embrace it why denouncing something He never denounces. If your wife won't allow you to get another wife then rejoice in the wife of your youth, but don't try to invent a transgression for the one who cares for more than one wife.

I am tired of seeing the weak argument that attempts to judge the institution by the times when it was misused. By that standard we should all kill ourselves because death is the only human act that has no negative consequences. Anything humans do sometimes has unexpected consequences. Jehovah's Witnesses will not celebrate birthdays because at one infamous birthday party they served up John's head on a platter. Let's not go for that kind of reasoning.

Re: Is "Polygamy" a Sin? #47358
04/28/06 05:01 PM
04/28/06 05:01 PM
Darius  Offline
Dedicated Member
Muncie, IN
Post #79764 was by me.

Darius A. Lecointe, J.D., Ph.D.
No weapon formed against me shall prosper.
Re: Is "Polygamy" a Sin? #47359
04/28/06 05:20 PM
04/28/06 05:20 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:

I am tired of seeing the weak argument that attempts to judge the institution by the times when it was misused.

Are you suggesting polygamy was being misued? Is it OK for wives to multiply husbands as well?

It seems to me you are saying that because God did not explicitly speak against some practice in the Old Testament, that means He approves of it. We know God didn't like divorce (He says He hates it in Malachi), but He allowed it anyway. Slavery is another example that comes to mind. Is God in favor of slavery?

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Is "Polygamy" a Sin? #47360
04/28/06 07:38 PM
04/28/06 07:38 PM
Darius  Offline
Dedicated Member
Muncie, IN
He also did not say whether He approves of turning peanuts into peanut butter. I don't get your point. What kind of slavery are you referring to? See? You use words without paying attention to their meaning. I am sure you can find the difference between the slavery described in the OT and that practice in the US. Polygamy, on the other hand, was practiced by "some of God's closest friends."

Darius A. Lecointe, J.D., Ph.D.
No weapon formed against me shall prosper.
Re: Is "Polygamy" a Sin? #47361
04/28/06 09:49 PM
04/28/06 09:49 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Is your point that polygamy is OK? Or that it was OK? It seems to me you are getting my point fine.

You are coming across to me as argumentative. Would you please turn down the tone a bit? In forums where we have nothing but written words to see our communication is of necessity harsher sounding than what we would feel in person.

Thank you.

I'm sure the reverse is just as possible, so apologize if I've come across as argumentative.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Is "Polygamy" a Sin? #47362
05/04/06 12:25 PM
05/04/06 12:25 PM
Davros  Offline
Dedicated Member
Ohio
Quote:

Polygamy was practiced at an early date. It was one of the sins that brought the wrath of God upon the antediluvian world. . . . It was Satan's studied effort to pervert the marriage institution, to weaken its obligations and lessen its sacredness; for in no surer way could he deface the image of God in man and open the door to misery and vice.
Conflict and Courage p. 36

Quote:

The person who sins breaks God's law. Yes, sin is living against God's law.
1 John 3:4 NCV

It would seem that polygamy is not something God shows favor to.

Oh Happy Day!
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/28/24 11:09 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:16 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 04/29/24 04:47 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!