HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,597
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 14
kland 9
Daryl 3
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (Karen Y, Daryl, dedication, 1 invisible), 3,252 guests, and 14 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
Re: God the Son #47625
12/26/05 05:35 PM
12/26/05 05:35 PM
Alpendave  Offline OP
Banned Member
Deer Park, WA
Oops. Look like I need to pay closure attention to what I read. Sorry Colin. It looks like I agree with you by what you mean by saying Jesus is divine. I was discussing this matter on the Amazing Discoveries message board where those holding anti-trinitarian positions used the "and the Word was divine" argument to show that Jesus is not in fact the Almighty God, equal to the Father.

The main point I was making with the Greek of John 1:1 is that it does not allow for either Arianism or Sabelianism.

Re: God the Son #47626
12/26/05 05:41 PM
12/26/05 05:41 PM
Alpendave  Offline OP
Banned Member
Deer Park, WA
Tom, if you want a rock solid text that refers to Jesus as God, read the 25th chapter of Isaiah. You could also read the 50th Psalm. In fact, John the Baptist's ministry was to "make straight in the desert a highway for our God". There are many more OT references to Jesus as God. In the NT we have John 1:1, Thomas' confession. In fact, when it talks about the coming of "the great God and our Saviour..." the Greek allows for the reading "our great God and Saviour".

Re: God the Son #47627
12/26/05 08:07 PM
12/26/05 08:07 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
According to SDA Beliefs, Jesus is God is the same sense the Father is God. God is a word that includes the Father, Son, and Spirit. Godhead is probably a better word. God is a unity of three eternal, equal and divine Beings. The word God is plural or aggregate.

Re: God the Son #47628
12/27/05 05:39 PM
12/27/05 05:39 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
I was dealing with the New Testament. The Old Testament doesn't distinguish between the members of the Godhead so clearly as the New. Jesus is referred to as Jehovah in the Old, which is a good argument in and of itself IMO as to His divinity and eternal self-existance.

But back to the other point, the word "God" as it is used in the New Testament is by a huge majority of texts used to refer to the Father. There is the text in John 1:1, and also the text where Thomas says, "My Lord and my God" as exceptions which come to mind.

We use phrases such as "God the Son" and "God the Holy Spirit", but I'm not aware of these expressions being used in the Spirit of Prophecy.

Re: God the Son #47629
12/27/05 05:41 PM
12/27/05 05:41 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
quote:
According to SDA Beliefs, Jesus is God is the same sense the Father is God. God is a word that includes the Father, Son, and Spirit. Godhead is probably a better word. God is a unity of three eternal, equal and divine Beings. The word God is plural or aggregate.
It's true that what you have described is how we commonly use the word "God", but is this Scriptural? I don't think so. That is, "God" does not refer to multiple beings, but just One. If there are exceptions to this, I'd be interested in seeing them. Also in the Spirit of Prophecy, she doesn't use phrases like "God the Son" and "God the Holy Spirit."

I think these are largely semantical issues.

Re: God the Son #47630
12/27/05 06:59 PM
12/27/05 06:59 PM
C
Colin  Offline
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
Strange how semantics are only semantics until their part in the basis of salvation is realised, and suddenly they aren't just semantics anymore... [Roll Eyes]

Unfortunately that's invariably also the moment that the discussion stops, since it requires serious re-evaluation. [Reading] [Smile] [Cool]

Re: God the Son #47631
12/27/05 07:18 PM
12/27/05 07:18 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
I just don't find the argument that Jesus Christ did not exist from all eternity or that the Holy Spirit isn't a being because God the Father is called "God" to be very convincing (although I'm not sure what your take on Jesus being pre-existent is -- you seemed to indicate you weren't saying He wasn't, but I'm not clear on this point).

Also the basis of salvation comment eludes me. If Christ did or did not exist at some point in time which is so long ago that I can't conceive of it, how would that involve my salvation? Actually I can think of some implications to God's character if that were true (that there was a time when Christ did not exist), but they aren't positive ones.

How does viewing the Holy Spirit as a "person" but not a being contribute to my salvation?

The issues I see as crucial are ones having to do with God's character; specifically, is it really true that God is just like Jesus Christ? Does God resort to force if other means fail? Is He arbitrary? Does faith in Christ save us from sin, or from God? These are the types of questions I see as crucial.

So if things are as you see them, as opposed to how I seem them, how is that crucial to salvation? Please dot the i's and cross the t's for me.

To be clear what I believe:
1)Jesus Christ is the begotten Son of God from the days of eternity.
2)There was never a time when He did not exist.
3)The Holy Spirit is a person in the ordinary sense of the word, meaning an individual who is able to act independently.

Thanks Colin!

Re: God the Son #47632
12/30/05 09:05 AM
12/30/05 09:05 AM
C
Colin  Offline
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
quote:
I just don't find the argument that Jesus Christ did not exist from all eternity or that the Holy Spirit isn't a being because God the Father is called "God" to be very convincing (although I'm not sure what your take on Jesus being pre-existent is -- you seemed to indicate you weren't saying He wasn't, but I'm not clear on this point).

Ah, well, I don't recall what's gone before on that, but I agree with Jn 1:1 as well as Jn 3:16 and Jn 5:19,26: which add up to what you put as your understanding, of the only begotten Son of God from eternity.

The only issue I see as coming from the Father's nickname of "God" is that "Godhead" rightly and properly refers to the divinity of Father, Son and Holy Spirit, while the latter two have descriptive words - as in the Bible - as standard: "-of God", as in Spirit- and Son-....As was mentioned elsewhere here recently, EGW herself never spoke of 'God the Son' or of the Spirit in that fashion.

quote:
Also the basis of salvation comment eludes me. If Christ did or did not exist at some point in time which is so long ago that I can't conceive of it, how would that involve my salvation?
That was a deep point which I threw in - I'm sorry, but consider this. In our trinity doctrine, we now officially deny that the Son is literally Son of God before bethlehem, having formally abandoned "begotten" being attributed to his divinity. With no literal, divine Son, but one who is absolutely God alongside the Father - instead of his Father being "the only true God" and Jn 5:26 being true, how can he have power to lay down his life?? - he's irretrievably immortal, incarnated or not, isn't he.... [Eek!] He's not able to die, even by any mortal means, since his divine life isn't flexible like he himself said he would lay it down. But, while this just challenges the sacrifice of the Lamb of God....

The danger of the trinity doctrine (which, among us at least has produced these convoluted titles, like "God the Holy Spirit") is this doctrine's ability, also among us, to define God as constituted by Father, Son and Holy Spirit. Thus divinity isn't so much the nature which each possesses, but is the 3 persons themselves: God is rendered a divine trinity whose 3 persons are collectively God but not individually divine in their own right without the others. Our newest big book of beliefs (i.e. ABC vol.12) states that the so-called Father/Son relationship before Bethlehem is "an ongoing one between them as constitutive of the very nature of God" (p.125). This at least blurs the line between them sharing one divine naure, and divinity defined by their twosome, or threesome with the Spirit. The problem with the very nature of God consisting of three persons is that, with the death of the Son on Calvary's tree, the nature of God was summarily destroyed. Check last quarter's SS lesson's explanation of the death of Christ, where it followed this false understanding of divine nature: "The Godhead was sundered." EGW wrote "the great Powers of heaven were sundered", which isn't based on the same premise at all.

As for the Spirit's personality, our big book now excludes the Spirit literally proceeding from God to us as his representative, but has him merely finding 2nd gear with the beginning of the Christian era. While the Spirit constituting divinity with Father and Son rather than separately, is mentioned above, the Spirit's divine personality even in a non-trinitarian framework has to be as the presence of Father and Son and not his own presence. This is actually granted by our newest big book, but our book doesn't adequately base the Spirit in the divinity of Father or Son, but the Spirit on its own. This goes to the validity of the Spirit's divinity in God's creatorship and as the 3rd person, but it directly affects its facilitation of the incarnation, etc.

For the Godhead to include three persons and save us from sin the Son and Holy Spirit must be linked to the Father's divine nature, so that the Son may actually lay down his life once taking mortal flesh.

Does that help?

[ December 30, 2005, 02:51 PM: Message edited by: Colin ]

Re: God the Son #47633
12/31/05 04:45 AM
12/31/05 04:45 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
I see God and divinity as two different aspects of the Trinity doctrine. Just like the word "man" includes the husband and wife, the word "God" includes the Father, Son, and Spirit. In the same way men and women are human, the Father, Son, and Spirit are divine. There is no compromise or contradiction.

If there was a time when Jesus did not exist there was a time, then, when our salvation did not exist. However, the fact our salvation is eternal is just one more proof that Jesus is also eternal. If there was a time when Jesus did not exist there was a time, then, when He did not qualify to be our Saviour.

The reason why Jesus is qualified to be our Saviour, and not an angel or some other non-eternal being, is due in part to the fact He is eternal. Only members of the Godhead are eternal, therefore, Jesus, who is eternal, is a member of the Godhead- by virtue of the fact He is eternal.

Re: God the Son #47634
12/31/05 04:58 AM
12/31/05 04:58 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Yes, in answer to if this helps. The whole conversation is helpful.

I'm sure the theologians that put the statements together which we parse do not see things eye to eye, so I can't accept the premise that we have a view in the sense that the Catholics do. In the past we have been very careful not to go beyond what the Scriptures say, and pretty much just repeat that, which was prudent, I think. But just because some dude gets to right some thing about what he thinks and pass it off as "official" in no way implies that that's what Seventh-day Adventists believe. Well this is just a passing rant.

Ok, back to the issue at hand. I believe it was just as possible for the Father to have come to earth and done what the Son did, and believe there is a statement from the Spirit of Prophecy which implies this. She says something along the lines that had the Father come here and the Son stayed, nothing would have been different, which implies to my mind that this is something which could have happened. I believe it was just as possible for the Father to have been incarnate as the Son, and had the Father become flesh, then He could have laid down His life just like the Son did.

I believe Christ is the Son of God from eternity, but that we a mistake if we assume "Son" must mean to God what it means to us. That is, we only know sonship by means of procreation. So for us "begotten Son" means that Christ was somehow procreated. That's the only frame of reference that we have. I don't think God is trying to communicate to us that He somehow procreated Christ, but rather is communicating to us as best He can what sort of relationship He has with Jesus Christ. The purpose in doing this is to reveal His character. By better understanding Their relationship, we can better understand the quality of the gift that God gave us in giving us His Son, and by better understanding the quality of the gift (which is that God gave that which was best and dearest to Him, as our favorite or only child would be to us) we can better understand Him.

I understand that before space/time was created, there was no need for Christ to proceed from the Father (and I recognize the inherent paradox of speaking of "before time," but time is something which had to be created at some point, just like space). For Christ to proceed from the Father was a necessity in order for God to communicate with us. Someone had to assume that responsibility, and the Godhead decided it would be Christ to do that. So Christ proceeded from the Father to be His representative to creation.

Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/25/24 09:37 AM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 04/24/24 02:15 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!