HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,598
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 14
kland 9
Daryl 3
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (ProdigalOne, dedication, Kevin H, Karen Y, Daryl, 1 invisible), 3,200 guests, and 19 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Re: God the Son #47645
01/02/06 04:47 AM
01/02/06 04:47 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, there is nothing faulty about understanding difficult insights using plainly understood ones to guide us. For example, because the Bible is so clear about soul sleep we can, with all integrity, interpret the few difficult passages in light of the plain ones. Similarly, since the Bible and the SOP are so clear concerning the eternal pre-existence of Jesus it is wise and prudent to interpret difficult passages in light of established truth. In other words, we know that whatever an obscure text is saying it cannot contradict what we already know to be true. Somehow it harmonizes with the truth.

Tom, it looks as though we disagree on the nature of eternity and eternal Beings. I believe Jesus was the "Lamb slain from the foundation of the world" (Rev 13:8) before He died on the cross in 27 AD. In the same way, I believe He was the Son of Man, the Son of Mary, and the Son of God before His incarnation in 4 BC.

Jesus, as a member of the Godhead, "inhabits eternity" (Isa 57:15). He simultaneously inhabits eternity past, present, and future. His life and death is an ongoing reality, and ever will be. The members of the Godhead are not bound by time and space as we perceive it, therefore, They can occupy the past and the future and, at the same time, dwell with us in our present temporal time frame. Such a thing is, of course, beyond our comprehension.

Snowman, I am glad you recognize the logic in the reasoning I posted above. Jesus is truly our eternal brother and Saviour.

Van, well said. Thank you.

Re: God the Son #47646
01/01/06 05:20 PM
01/01/06 05:20 PM
C
Colin  Offline
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
I don't think I can improve on Tom's comments, MM, so I'll just agree with them [Wink] [Roll Eyes] .If your reasoning is official church reasoning, as has been suggested, then the church - if confirming this - must account to us for its total lack of logic [Mad] ....You're answering for yourself, here. [Big Grin]

Your concept of eternity is based on metaphysics or whatever science it is that speculates on what eternity is and involves. The Bible is to be preserved from human reasoning, while satisfying human understanding all by itself. [Tasty]

[ January 01, 2006, 09:30 PM: Message edited by: Colin ]

Re: God the Son #47647
01/02/06 01:22 AM
01/02/06 01:22 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Colin, just out of curiosity - how do you explain the part of Revelation 13:8 I have made bold?

"And all that dwell upon the earth shall worship him, whose names are not written in the book of life of the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world."

Re: God the Son #47648
01/02/06 01:36 AM
01/02/06 01:36 AM
C
Colin  Offline
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
Just the bolded bit?? The Lamb of God wasn't slain just before or during Adam's life time, but the effects of its future sacrifice were operative by the promise itself of the future Lamb of God. Belief in the coming Messiah started with the received promise from God of his solution to sin, but the sacrifice of the Lamb applied to the whole, historical sin problem by faith, not by occurring at the beginning of the sin problem on earth.

Does that satisfy your curiosity? [Wink]

Re: God the Son #47649
01/02/06 02:04 AM
01/02/06 02:04 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
quote:
MM your reasoning is NOT contradictory to the beliefs of the SDA church (as far as my small brain understands) BUT Tom seams to be in contradiction to the word and the SDA teachings, so Tom are you saying that the SDA church is in error with its' understanding of the "Godhead"? Since we Baptize into Christ and the SDA Church in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Ghost!
I was taking issue with MM's reasoning, not so much with his position. I have my doubts about that what is being claimed to be the SDA official position really is. Surely what the Spirit of Prophecy states must carry more weight than interpretations of it.

Let's take a look at the official position:

quote:
4. The Son:
God the eternal Son became incarnate in Jesus Christ. Through Him all things were created, the character of God is revealed, the salvation of humanity is accomplished, and the world is judged. Forever truly God, He became also truly man, Jesus the Christ. He was conceived of the Holy Spirit and born of the virgin Mary. He lived and experienced temptation as a human being, but perfectly exemplified the righteousness and love of God. By His miracles He manifested God's power and was attested as God's promised Messiah. He suffered and died voluntarily on the cross for our sins and in our place, was raised from the dead, and ascended to minister in the heavenly sanctuary in our behalf. He will come again in glory for the final deliverance of His people and the restoration of all things. (John 1:1-3, 14; Col. 1:15-19; John 10:30; 14:9; Rom. 6:23; 2 Cor. 5:17-19; John 5:22; Luke 1:35; Phil. 2:5-11; Heb. 2:9-18; 1 Cor. 15:3, 4; Heb. 8:1, 2; John 14:1-3.)

I agree with every word of this.

quote:
5. The Holy Spirit:
God the eternal Spirit was active with the Father and the Son in Creation, incarnation, and redemption. He inspired the writers of Scripture. He filled Christ's life with power. He draws and convicts human beings; and those who respond He renews and transforms into the image of God. Sent by the Father and the Son to be always with His children, He extends spiritual gifts to the church, empowers it to bear witness to Christ, and in harmony with the Scriptures leads it into all truth. (Gen. 1:1, 2; Luke 1:35; 4:18; Acts 10:38; 2 Peter 1:21; 2 Cor. 3:18; Eph. 4:11, 12; Acts 1:8; John 14:16-18, 26; 15:26, 27; 16:7-13.)

I agree with every word of this too. So I would have to say that no, I'm not in disagreement with our official position.

Re: God the Son #47650
01/02/06 02:17 AM
01/02/06 02:17 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
quote:
Tom, there is nothing faulty about understanding difficult insights using plainly understood ones to guide us. For example, because the Bible is so clear about soul sleep we can, with all integrity, interpret the few difficult passages in light of the plain ones. Similarly, since the Bible and the SOP are so clear concerning the eternal pre-existence of Jesus it is wise and prudent to interpret difficult passages in light of established truth. In other words, we know that whatever an obscure text is saying it cannot contradict what we already know to be true. Somehow it harmonizes with the truth.
I agree with this. If you wanted to present a logical argument to someone who disagrees with this, you would have to prove that the Bible and the Spirit of Prophecy actually is clear concerning the pre-existence of Jesus. I'm not disagreeing with what you are saying, just in the manner with which you are (or more accurately arnen't) making a case.

quote:
Tom, it looks as though we disagree on the nature of eternity and eternal Beings. I believe Jesus was the "Lamb slain from the foundation of the world" (Rev 13:8) before He died on the cross in 27 AD. In the same way, I believe He was the Son of Man, the Son of Mary, and the Son of God before His incarnation.

There's no Biblical grounds, or Spirit of Prophecy grounds, to believe Jesus was the Son of Man, or the Son of Mary, before His incarnation. This is just a groundless supposition on your part. Jesus became the son of Mary in 4 B.C. when He was born.

quote:

Jesus, as a member of the Godhead, "inhabits eternity" (Isa 57:15). He simultaneously inhabits eternity past, present, and future. His life and death is an ongoing reality, and ever will be. The members of the Godhead are not bound by time and space as we perceive it, therefore, They can occupy the past and the future and, at the same time, dwell with us in our present temporal time frame. Such a thing is, of course, beyond our comprehension.

This is just Greek philosophy. This is not only contrary to reason, but is contrary to how God has presented Himself to us in Scripture. What you're presenting is the Catholic idea, where Jesus is even now hanging on the cross. We don't believe that. For us, the cross is empty and the tomb is bare. Jesus is risen, and is now ministering in the Most Holy Place. While God is not bound by time, He does exist in time, and He communicates to us in time.

For example, consider the following statement from the Desire of Ages:

quote:
Satan in heaven had hated Christ for His position in the courts of God. He hated Him the more when he himself was dethroned. He hated Him who pledged Himself to redeem a race of sinners. Yet into the world where Satan claimed dominion God permitted His Son to come, a helpless babe, subject to the weakness of humanity. He permitted Him to meet life's peril in common with every human soul, to fight the battle as every child of humanity must fight it, at the risk of failure and eternal loss. (DA 49)
If things were as you are presenting them, it would make no sense to say that Jesus was sent at the risk of failure.

quote:
Snowman, I am glad you recognize the logic in the reasoning I posted above. Jesus is truly our eternal brother and Saviour.
There was no logic in what you posted. Snowman didn't recognize the logic, but agreed with your position (which I do too, for the most part).

My objections were specific in nature, having to do with the proper construction of an argument, which is founded on premises and then developed to show a conclusion. You didn't do this, or even attempt to. If you disagree with what I'm saying here, go to one of the specific objections I made and refute the objection.

Again, I was very specific in what I said, so it shouldn't be difficult for you to do that if I'm in error. If I'm in error, I'd like you to do that, because I would be happy to retract any mistakes.

Happy New Year,

Tom

Re: God the Son #47651
01/02/06 02:25 AM
01/02/06 02:25 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Colin, if, as you affirm, Jesus is not the Lamb of God slain from the foundation of the world, why, then, did Jesus say so? Upon what authority do we disregard what it plainly says in the Bible and make it mean something different? Why can't we take Jesus at His word?

There are people on MSDAOL who do not believe God was able to predict the outcome of Jesus' incarnation, that is, God did not know in advance that Jesus would succeed on the cross. I happen to disagree with this insight, but for the sake of discussion - Could God offer salvation to OT believers before Jesus succeeded on the cross?

Re: God the Son #47652
01/02/06 02:27 AM
01/02/06 02:27 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
My two cents on the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world.

quote:
God's healing power runs all through nature. If a tree is cut, if a human being is wounded or breaks a bone, nature begins at once to repair the injury. Even before the need exists, the healing agencies are in readiness; and as soon as a part is wounded, every energy is bent to the work of restoration. So it is in the spiritual realm. Before sin created the need, God had provided the remedy. (Ed 113)
Should Adam and Eve sin, the redemy was ready. The plan was set from the foundation of the world, hence Christ was the "lamb slain from the foundation of the world." The emphasizes God's character, and the fact the the plan was not an afterthought. However, it's very important to understand that it was not necessary for Adam and Eve to sin. THAT was NOT God's plan. God never intended that any of creatures should know the misery which sin brings.

Re: God the Son #47653
01/02/06 02:29 AM
01/02/06 02:29 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Boy I hope my "Happy New Year" didn't come across as sarcastic. I didn't intend it that way (and apologize to MM if it came across that way).

Happy New Year to everybody!

Re: God the Son #47654
01/02/06 02:35 AM
01/02/06 02:35 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
quote:
There are people on MSDAOL who do not believe God was able to predict the outcome of Jesus' incarnation.
Surely you must have me in mind here. This isn't what I believe. It's very frustrating to me that we have dialogued hundreds if not thousands of posts on this and you still get it wrong. I don't know if you're being obtuse or beliggernt. I've never said anything remotely like what you're writing here. I apologize if you have someone other than me in mind here, but given our lengthly conversations, I can't imagine you have someone else in mind.

It's not like I haven't said what I believe on this subject. I've probably explained it to you a hundred times, and that's not an exerageration. Is it to much for me to ask that you accurately represent my opinions?

Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/25/24 09:37 AM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 04/28/24 02:30 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!