HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,597
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 14
kland 9
Daryl 3
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (Karen Y, Daryl, dedication, 1 invisible), 3,252 guests, and 14 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 7 of 12 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 11 12
Re: God: The Holy Spirit #47751
12/30/05 07:10 AM
12/30/05 07:10 AM
C
Colin  Offline
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
Originally from Thomas, about me saying that the Spirit is divine only by its identity as God's Spirit
quote:
To have a personal something implies ownership or hiearchy, at least it does to me. The kind of thing you might say to a person you wish to mark dominance over when used about a human.
Whatever happened to equality among the Godhead? Or did we have that wrong aswell, having now to adjust to a hiearchy within it?

/Thomas

Well, yes human ownership is often oppressive in reality, whether of human, animate or inanimate property. While it's worth chuckling for a fleeting moment over the known fact that God is not oppressive over his creation - which he owns, God's Spirit isn't something he owns, surely. He doesn't own eternal life, he has it - he lives it; still, the Spirit of God (which is the Biblical wording much of the time... [Cool] ) isn't an attribute of God, but an intrinsic part of the make up of divine nature. It exists as divinity exists, and is divinity's constant omnipresence. God's Spirit even maintains the harmony between Father and Son, according to Ellen White, but the divine Spirit doesn't depart from God's will, as it naturally implements that will. it wishes no alternative to its natural purpose: divine persons don't naturally.... [Wink]

Jesus had a choice of God's will or his own will in the Garden of Gethsemane, as throughout his earthly life, because his [I]human will[I] was naturally contrary to God's will. As divinity, Jesus couldn't sin, for God naturally doesn't go against his own will and nothing to force him away from that - unlike our good intentions. But Jesus was righteous by faith as a human being, and that was only possible by the power of God's Spirit in his life, by his choice. Even the decisions in the wilderness temptations, as well as the Gethsemane trial, were by "the faith of Jesus" as a human being.

Rosangela, you asked:
quote:
What is the anti-trinitatrian position: that the Holy Spirit is sometimes the personal presence of just the Father, sometimes the personal presence of just the Son, and sometimes the personal presence of both?
Does this differ from the trinitarian position? The difference may be that the anti-trinitarian position doesn't consider it Biblical for this 'processing Spirit' to have or manifest its own presence, since it manifests the Father's presence, etc.

This is a separate divine person, but not its own person, since he is God's presence, having divine power and grace.

Re: God: The Holy Spirit #47752
12/31/05 04:22 AM
12/31/05 04:22 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Colin, your idea that God's Spirit, unlike our spirit, can think and feel like a person sounds strange to me. It reminds me of the disembodied spirit idea advocated by evangelicals. Are you suggesting that God's Spirit has a life of its own, a conscious non-physical entity, outside of God Himself?

Re: God: The Holy Spirit #47753
12/31/05 04:42 AM
12/31/05 04:42 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
quote:
Just spotted that other question you raised, about the Spirit as Jesus' presence, testifying of Jesus but not of itself. Yes, your sentence made sense... The weirdness of it is solved by realising that the Spirit of Jesus isn't Jesus himself (see, I do acknowledge them as separate persons ), but his divine spirit making his presence spiritually real for us.
I don't see how this solves the wierdness of it (nice way of putting it). Jesus would be saying, in essence, "My Spirit will not be testifying of my Spirit, but rather of my phsyical nature." That's still pretty wierd.

The way Jesus stated it implies the Holy Spirit has the ability to either speak of Himself or not. If it is just a manifestation of Jesus' presence and power, then it has no independent will, so it makes no sense to say that it will not testify of itself. Also this construction would take away from Jesus' point. His point was that being A would not testify of being A, but rather of being B (A being the Holy Spirit and B being Jesus Christ). Now if A is really B, then Jesus is saying is effect is "B will not testify of B, but will testify of B," which doesn't make sense.

Re: God: The Holy Spirit #47754
01/01/06 06:29 PM
01/01/06 06:29 PM
C
Colin  Offline
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
quote:
Originally posted by Mountain Man:
Colin, your idea that God's Spirit, unlike our spirit, can think and feel like a person sounds strange to me. It reminds me of the disembodied spirit idea advocated by evangelicals. Are you suggesting that God's Spirit has a life of its own, a conscious non-physical entity, outside of God Himself?

No, the Bible is: Ezek 36:27 "And I will put my Spirit within you and cause you to walk in My statutes, and ye shall keep My judgments and do them." God's presence and power manifested in us by his Spirit - not an ethereal person - which is natural, but the divine Spirit itself moving us from within us along God's way and will.

Jn 14:17 even the Spirit of Truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth Him not, neither knoweth Him. But ye know Him, for He dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.

Now, to 'see' the Spirit is clearly spiritual perception of God's presence on our part, rather than noting the physical presence of a person as we understand persons. The Spirit of Christ, of Truth, is with us, is in us: can only be the conscious, non-physical agent of divinity for us.

Rom 8:9 But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so it be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of His.

How can the Spirit dwell in us, and we have the Spirit of Christ, if it normally has a body? The comforter Christ sent to us is to get inside our heads as God physically cannot.

1 Cor 3:16 Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you?

The "Spirit of God" doesn't just dwell in us, but wishes to fill us as God's temple. The Spirit of God is to God what it is to us: dwelling within to harmonise with God's will.

1 Jn 2:27 But the anointing which ye have received from Him abideth in you, and ye have no need that any man teach you. But as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in Him.

The Spirit of Christ teaches Christ's truth, and we abide in Christ by his Spirit. It is plain to view that the Spirit is as you've heard me present it, but he also manifests God's presence, power and grace to us, for he is God's spiritual presence to God's people.

Is the Bible clear enough? it should make the point rather thoroughly. [Smile]

Re: God: The Holy Spirit #47755
01/01/06 07:04 PM
01/01/06 07:04 PM
C
Colin  Offline
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
Tom wrote
quote:
The way Jesus stated it implies the Holy Spirit has the ability to either speak of Himself or not. If it is just a manifestation of Jesus' presence and power, then it has no independent will, so it makes no sense to say that it will not testify of itself. Also this construction would take away from Jesus' point. His point was that being A would not testify of being A, but rather of being B (A being the Holy Spirit and B being Jesus Christ). Now if A is really B, then Jesus is saying is effect is "B will not testify of B, but will testify of B," which doesn't make sense.
The implication you find in Jesus' statement may well not be proper interpretation, since the Bible elsewhere has the Spirit doing in us the will of Jesus and of God without any of its own agenda. The Spirit is, Biblically, the divine Spirit of Jesus and God the Father, but also the person of their divine presence with us, teaching us of God's truth and leading us into all righteousness.

Isn't it clear that "being" isn't "person" with the Holy Spirit, since the Spirit isn't a person just like God is a person? Our trinitarianism today goes against this clarity, and thus forces your problem with what I'm saying... [Frown] Since the Spirit has its own personality apart from Jesus, but is Jesus' Spirit, they are not the same person, and the Spirit isn't a person the same way Jesus is but is nevertheless itself a person, as the texts I shared with MM above should make crystal clear.

Since God only speaks the truth, and his Spirit only testifies about God's truth, the only alternative for the Spirit to say anything about - off its own bat, as you are suggesting, would have to be what isn't truth....I fear you're barking up the wrong tree with the notion of the Spirit's own testimony. If it says something other than God's truth of Christ - something of its own, how does it not speak for the Devil? The Spirit must proceed from God as the divine Spirit in order reliably to be God's Spirit, with no room for changing sides - like making divinity what it isn't, even sinful.

Re: God: The Holy Spirit #47756
01/01/06 08:36 PM
01/01/06 08:36 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Colin,

When Jesus says that the Spirit “shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, [that] shall he speak” what is He referring to?

Re: God: The Holy Spirit #47757
01/01/06 09:13 PM
01/01/06 09:13 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
Colin

It seems the main point of difference here is your still unproven assumption that to be a person, you need a body. If you remove this requirement, every one of the texts you quoted works equally well with the Spirit being a person as with Him being an extention of Father.
One question about the person requires physical body requirement of yours. How was God a person before He created the physical world? Or did having a physical body first enter as a requirement for personhood after the universe was created?

Also, as you pointed out the Spirit being God will only tell us what is truth, and scripture tells us that Jesus is Truth so the Spirit testifying about Jesus is the expected thing. Jesus came to earth to testify about the Father, and that does not make Jesus less a person so neither should acomplishing His mission make the Spirit less a person.

May this be a year the blessings of God increase and bear rich fruit.

/Thomas

Re: God: The Holy Spirit #47758
01/02/06 01:11 AM
01/02/06 01:11 AM
C
Colin  Offline
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
quote:
Originally posted by Rosangela:
Colin,

When Jesus says that the Spirit “shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, [that] shall he speak” what is He referring to?

I've always understood the explanation of local church leaders to be that what the Spirit hears from God is what as God's Spirit he says to us. Were you looking for more meaning than that?

Re: God: The Holy Spirit #47759
01/02/06 01:26 AM
01/02/06 01:26 AM
C
Colin  Offline
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
Thomas,

Doesn't a person normally have a body?? I thought God was supposed to be physical, rather than the other way round? That the Spirit isn't physical is the premise of those texts - you agreed? - but the Father & Son had bodies since eternity - since before creation, didn't they?

The personalities of each divine person next to each other isn't in question. That the Spirit proceeds from God and isn't a physical person just like God is in question within the church, but not so much on this forum(?).

It's been good to find increasing agreement, and there's always space for more of that.

Re: God: The Holy Spirit #47760
01/02/06 01:43 AM
01/02/06 01:43 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Colin, I'm glad you made it clear that you believe the Holy Spirit is God's non-physical presence, like the expression "absent in body, but present in spirit." Nevertheless, I totally disagree with you. I believe the Holy Spirit is as much a person as God is a person, that He is the third person of the heavenly trio.

Also, the church is not unclear or ambiguous about the trinity truth. Fundamental beliefs 2-5 state it plainly. Yes, there are members, like yourself, who are in disagreement, but all such dissenting views do not reflect the official view of the church.

Page 7 of 12 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 11 12

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/25/24 09:37 AM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 04/24/24 02:15 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!