HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,630
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 24
kland 13
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Daryl
Daryl
Nova Scotia, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (Karen Y, Daryl, dedication, 2 invisible), 2,986 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 8 of 12 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
Re: God: The Holy Spirit #47761
01/02/06 01:53 AM
01/02/06 01:53 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
quote:
The implication you find in Jesus' statement may well not be proper interpretation, since the Bible elsewhere has the Spirit doing in us the will of Jesus and of God without any of its own agenda.
Jesus does the will of God without any of His own agenda as well. But that doesn't preclude Him from being an independent being.

I'm sorry, but I'm not following what you are saying. Jesus said the Holy Spirit would not testify of Himself, but would rather testify of Him (i.e. Jesus). Jesus, similarly, did not testify of Himself, but testified of the Father. When Jesus said the Holy Spirit would not testify of Himself, the implication is that there is a "self" of which the Holy Spirit could testify, if He chose to, but He chooses not to do that, but rather to testify of Jesus.

If the Holy Spirit is simply performing the will of Christ like a robot, then Jesus' statement seems to make no sense. It would be like Him saying, "My robot won't testify of itself, but instead will testify of Me." So Jesus would be testifying of Himself indirectly through the agent of a robot. That's contrary to the attribute of agape, as I perceive it, where no person of the Godhead testifies of Himself because agape is not puffed up. Agape empties itself, just as Christ did. Each member of the Godhead lives for the other, exemplified in self-sacrificing love, which is the essence of God's character.

Re: God: The Holy Spirit #47762
01/02/06 02:11 AM
01/02/06 02:11 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
quote:
[A]gape, as I perceive it, [is] where no person of the Godhead testifies of Himself because agape is not puffed up. Agape empties itself, just as Christ did. Each member of the Godhead lives for the other, exemplified in self-sacrificing love, which is the essence of God's character.
Awesome insight, Tom. Thank you!

Re: God: The Holy Spirit #47763
01/02/06 02:18 AM
01/02/06 02:18 AM
C
Colin  Offline
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
MM, we're actually talking past each other, since I merely decline to be tied down to trinitarian wording as my preferred expression, yet agree that
quote:
the Holy Spirit is as much a person as God is a person, that He is the third person of the heavenly trio.
Sister White joined her contemporaries in describing the Spirit as being the fulness of the Godhead, but only manifesting God's power and presence - not manifesting the Godhead bodily - as Jesus does.

We appear to differ on the meaning of "proceeding from God" in relation to the Spirit, since we differ on the Spirit being God's intelligent Spirit.

Tom, we can agree on this point you raise, since having a self isn't excluded from God, but Father, Son and Holy Spirit are selfless in their attitude. Conscious separate intelligence the Spirit also has, but 'independent' doesn't sound suitable for divine persons with the conotation it has in our thinking for being different: separate means the same for you? Still, their distinct personalities require a personal link to attain one nature among them; the Son begotten, and the Spirit proceeding. You raise this point - in disagreeing with it - on the trinity thread today, I think, so I'll deal with it there; you had previously been in favour of it.

Re: God: The Holy Spirit #47764
01/02/06 02:45 AM
01/02/06 02:45 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Colin, I have a great deal of difficult understanding you on this subject. Sorry about that. Apparently the difficulty is mutual, since you seem to think I'm changing positions, but I'm not.

I don't see how it makes sense to say that the Spirit will not testify of itself if it did not have a self of which not to testify. That presents the thought as simply as I know how to.

I used the analogy of a robot to represent your viewpoint. Do you see that as off base?

Re: God: The Holy Spirit #47765
01/02/06 02:57 AM
01/02/06 02:57 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Colin, I believe the Holy Spirit is a real person, not God's disembodied presence. That's how we disagree. I've already provided the inspired insights that I believe support my view of the Holy Spirit. I suspect we're going to have to agree to disagree.

Re: God: The Holy Spirit #47766
01/02/06 03:51 AM
01/02/06 03:51 AM
C
Colin  Offline
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
Before this grinds to a halt, I agree with you, Tom, that all persons of the Godhead have selves which they defer to their creatures on: IOW, they're selfless. Like you said, the Son speaks of his Father's will, and the Spirit speaks what it hears from both Father & Son about that will of God.

The robot analogy may have expressed well your perception of my view, but your perception wasn't accurate - hence all your questions.

Thomas' idea of God's soul being his mind which is able to leave his body is close to my idea of God's Spirit being able to leave his body, but would be more than his soul or mind since the Bible says the Spirit searches God's mind - so would have access to his mind but not be his mind, yet able to leave his body and exert God's power in the universe to uphold creation, and come to us to dwell in us with God's presence and the mind and character of Jesus. The experience of communicating with God by prayer and Bible study through the Spirit is agreed: that's how we commune with the Spirit. We cannot know, so should we speculate, on how Father and Son hold counsel, as to whether the Spirit joins in on the discussion. There's no allusion to that in Scripture, is there? - while Father & Son are said to meet together, in both the Bible and SOP.

MM, the rest of EGW's written comments on the Spirit's nature don't support it literally walking through the Avondale campus grounds - striding and swinging its arms in time: "The Comforter...is the Spirit in the fullness of the Godhead, making manifest God's power and grace to [us] believers" Thus the Spirit pervaded Avondale campus and was watchful of everyone there - all of them believers(?), also communing spiritually with everyone in making real by grace through faith God's own presence in their lives.

The list of pioneer quotes by me on what is probably page 1 of this thread was to indicate that the published voice of our church was settled, throughout Ellen White's lifetime, on God's Spirit being as much a person as God, but not a person just like God: does God's omnipresence have a body life we do, the Father does and Jesus does? Is that record of no value in elucidating what she agreed with of others in her midst, but felt unable to articulate herself? What little she wrote on the Spirit - mostly in response to Kellogg's mistakes - was in line with what her fellow Adventists published at the same time: common belief, or not?

I hear from both of you that you understand the Spirit to be a person as you perceive a person to be: is that how we are supposed to understand the Spirit's personality?? During EGW's lifetime her/our church published consistently that we should not regard the Spirit to be a person as we understand persons, but yet to have personality separte from God and Jesus. Tom, granted, a person has individuality, and consciousness, but the Spirit is different in other respects, isn't he, bringing God's presence but not God's body to us while being personal? MM, how do you reconcile the quote I keep producing with your favourite quote?

Hopefully this can be resolved; would be a shame not to.

Re: God: The Holy Spirit #47767
01/02/06 06:20 AM
01/02/06 06:20 AM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
Sure, a person normally has a body. Also, a person normally cannot create anything out of nothing, live for eternity by default or repeatedly claim to be God without being eligeble for the insane assylum..

I thought one of the things Jesus sacraficed when becoming human was the state of existence God lives in and getting a human body, the creator making himself part of the created. If God has a body like we do, I would have to reevaluate exactly what God really did create, becourse in that case "everything that was made" could not include everything that exists outside of God.

/Thomas

Re: God: The Holy Spirit #47768
01/02/06 06:47 AM
01/02/06 06:47 AM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
quote:
Originally posted by Colin:
Thomas' idea of God's soul being his mind which is able to leave his body is close to my idea of God's Spirit being able to leave his body, but would be more than his soul or mind since the Bible says the Spirit searches God's mind - so would have access to his mind but not be his mind, yet able to leave his body and exert God's power in the universe to uphold creation, and come to us to dwell in us with God's presence and the mind and character of Jesus.

I hear from both of you that you understand the Spirit to be a person as you perceive a person to be: is that how we are supposed to understand the Spirit's personality??

The post you refer to by me was part of the process of trying to understand where you stand on this subject, as in contrast to painting the picture of where I stand. I stand, still, in the other camp that you adress in the secound paragraph I quoted, understanding the Spirit to be a person as I percieve persons to be, neither more nor less than Father is a person as I percieve persons to be.

/Thomas

Re: God: The Holy Spirit #47769
01/02/06 03:56 PM
01/02/06 03:56 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Thomas, the Bible says man was made in the image and likeness of God. This implies, in my mind, that the Father is like us both spiritually and physically. That is, we share the same basic physical features - ears, eyes, nose, arms, legs, etc. I'm sure that's why the Bible uses these terms to descibe God. Jesus told Sister White in vision that the Father has a "form" like His.

2 Chronicles
6:40 Now, my God, let, I beseech thee, thine eyes be open, and [let] thine ears [be] attent unto the prayer [that is made] in this place.

Deuteronomy
5:15 And remember that thou wast a servant in the land of Egypt, and [that] the LORD thy God brought thee out thence through a mighty hand and by a stretched out arm: therefore the LORD thy God commanded thee to keep the sabbath day.

Song of Solomon
5:10 My beloved [is] white and ruddy, the chiefest among ten thousand.
5:11 His head [is as] the most fine gold, his locks [are] bushy, [and] black as a raven.
5:12 His eyes [are] as [the eyes] of doves by the rivers of waters, washed with milk, [and] fitly set.
5:13 His cheeks [are] as a bed of spices, [as] sweet flowers: his lips [like] lilies, dropping sweet smelling myrrh.
5:14 His hands [are as] gold rings set with the beryl: his belly [is as] bright ivory overlaid [with] sapphires.
5:15 His legs [are as] pillars of marble, set upon sockets of fine gold: his countenance [is] as Lebanon, excellent as the cedars.
5:16 His mouth [is] most sweet: yea, he [is] altogether lovely. This [is] my beloved, and this [is] my friend, O daughters of Jerusalem.

EW 54
I saw a throne, and on it sat the Father and the Son. I gazed on Jesus' countenance and admired His lovely person. The Father's person I could not behold, for a cloud of glorious light covered Him. I asked Jesus if His Father had a form like Himself. He said He had, but I could not behold it, for said He, "If you should once behold the glory of His person, you would cease to exist." {EW 54.2}

Re: God: The Holy Spirit #47770
01/03/06 04:30 AM
01/03/06 04:30 AM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
quote:
I've always understood the explanation of local church leaders to be that what the Spirit hears from God is what as God's Spirit he says to us. Were you looking for more meaning than that?
Colin,

A person hearing something from another person is OK; a presence hearing something from the original being does not make any sense whatsoever.

Page 8 of 12 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!