HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,609
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 9
Daryl 4
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Daryl, Karen Y, dedication, ProdigalOne, 2 invisible), 3,111 guests, and 13 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Is The Character of God Being Misrepresented? #48235
03/12/06 09:06 AM
03/12/06 09:06 AM
Tammy Roesch  Offline OP
North East OHIO
Tom,
Maybe you missed my question, "Have you read that book, 'Behold Your God' by Fred Wright?" Thanks!

Re: Is The Character of God Being Misrepresented? #48236
03/12/06 09:11 AM
03/12/06 09:11 AM
Tammy Roesch  Offline OP
North East OHIO
Sorry Tom. I hadn't checked my PM's before I went to this page, so I didn't see you had responded to my question there. I understand better where you are coming from, now...I thought I had just asked you before if you ever heard of Fred Wright...so I didn't think I was asking the same question twice. Sorry for the confusion. I'll start a new thread about Fred Wright. I think he is a big part of the problem here....

Re: Is The Character of God Being Misrepresented? #48237
03/12/06 07:37 PM
03/12/06 07:37 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
I think we're getting off track here. If you will look at the first post I wrote in this topic, I brought up several themes, none of which involve F. T. Wright's ideas in the slightest. I brought up ideas which were being discussed by men who preached at the General Conference over 100 years ago.

If you look at Ellen White's writings, you will see that she presents the idea over and over again that Satan's means of fighting the Great Controversy is to misrepresent God's character as arbitrary, severe, harsh and cruel; as not having our best interests at heart. Given this is Satan's goal, we might ask just how it is that he goes about doing this.

Re: Is The Character of God Being Misrepresented? #48238
03/13/06 03:08 AM
03/13/06 03:08 AM
C
Colin  Offline
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
Originally posted by Tom
quote:
This is my motivation for discussing two subjects I discuss a lot, which are the satisfaction theory of the atonement and the destruction of the wicked. I perceive that these ideas present God's character in a way which is diametrically opposed to how it is in truth, presnting Him to be one who is arbitrary, severe, and cruel.

What many call "justice" is in reality arbitrary creulty. God is neither arbitrary nor cruel. He will not torture those who have rebelled against Him in molten lava either for a few days or for all eternity. He doesn't need to torture His Son in order to forgive us.

You asked more recently in this thread how Satan goes about misreprenting God with his own evilness (a point without contention!), but your point quoted above that God should not be portrayed as arbitrary and cruel is also a problem, given the portrayal is about "justice": God's "justice" is about a point of law, and you're avoiding it like hell fire, no pun intended, I don't think. Objecting to the atonement concept involving punishment for sin as arbitrary and cruel fails to deal with the legal aspect of breaking God's law.

So, it clearly isn't just Satan misrepresenting God's character: erroneous teachings do, too, but the atonement issue is on the other thread - re: God's wrath, at this time, and hopefully it can stay there.

Re: Is The Character of God Being Misrepresented? #48239
03/13/06 04:19 AM
03/13/06 04:19 AM
J
John Boskovic  Offline
Dedicated Member
Ontario
Rom 10:3 For they being ignorant of God's righteousness, and going about to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted themselves unto the righteousness of God.

Character certainly has to do with one's righteousness and how they stand for it. And when we are dealing with righteousness we cannot escape dealing with salvation.

Is our picture of God as one of the scrbes and pharises, so that therefore whatsoever they bid you observe, that observe and do; but do not ye after their works: for they say, and do not?

Is our concept of God, that we are do what he says, and not do what he does?

Re: Is The Character of God Being Misrepresented? #48240
03/13/06 05:51 AM
03/13/06 05:51 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
quote:
Thus says the LORD of hosts:
Execute true justice,
Show mercy and compassion
Everyone to his brother. (Zech. 7:9)

This is God's justice. God sets things right by showing mercy and compassion.

quote:
Therefore the LORD will wait, that He may be gracious to you;
And therefore He will be exalted, that He may have mercy on you.
For the LORD is a God of justice;
Blessed are all those who wait for Him. (Isa. 30:18)

God's justice in manaifest by His mercy and grace.

quote:
Christ exalted the character of God, attributing to him the praise, and giving to him the credit, of the whole purpose of his own mission on earth,--to set men right through the revelation of God. (ST 1/20/90)
This is the justice of God once again, God setting things right. He sets us right with Himself by revealing Himself to us through His Son Jesus Christ.

quote:
-- This is the at-one-ment; this is why He bore our griefs and carried our sorrows, that He might do that for us by breaking down all those things which separate hearts from hearts, both human and divine.

Notwishstanding this, we did esteem Him striken smitten of God, and afflicted. That was what we thought about it. We said, God is doing all this; God is killing Him, punishing Him, to satisfy His wrath, in order to let us off. That is the pagan conception of sacrifice. The Christian idea of sacrifice is this. Let us not the contrast. "God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life."

That is the Christian idea. Yes, sir. Indifference keeps, hatred keeps, selfishness keeps, or gives, if at all, but grudgingly, counting the cost, and figuring on some larger return at some future time. But love, and love only, sacrifices, gives freely, gives itself, gives without counting the cost; gives because it is love. That is sacrifice, whether it is the sacrifice of bulls and goats, or of Him who is the Lamb of God. It is the sacrifice that is revealed throughout the entire Bible. But the pagan idea of sacrifice is just the opposite. It is that god is always offended, always angry, and His wrath must be propitiated in some way....

I pray that God will let the sunlight of His truth shine into my heart, and into all of our hearts. Surely He hath borne our griefs and carried our sorrows that He might bring us to Him; but we esteemed Him stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted. That is what we thought; that is what we esteemed; not what was, but what we thought was. Now, every text in the Bible that speaks of reconciliation, makes God the one who makes the reconciliation,-- God in Christ. Every text in the Bible that speaks of the atonement, when we get it right, makes God the one who makes the atonement in Christ; not Christ simply, but God in Christ; just as God in Christ creates, redeems, reconciles, He makes the atonement. And every time the atonement, reconciliation, or propitiation are mentioned, it leads us right back to the character of God. (GCB 1897; Fifield)

Re: Is The Character of God Being Misrepresented? #48241
03/13/06 12:22 PM
03/13/06 12:22 PM
Tammy Roesch  Offline OP
North East OHIO
quote:
If you look at Ellen White's writings, you will see that she presents the idea over and over again that Satan's means of fighting the Great Controversy is to misrepresent God's character as arbitrary, severe, harsh and cruel; as not having our best interests at heart. Given this is Satan's goal, we might ask just how it is that he goes about doing this.
I agree with your statement here...BUT, so would have FRED WRIGHT. His misconception of the character of God, causes him to misrepresent God's character and how God deals with humans.

Re: Is The Character of God Being Misrepresented? #48242
03/13/06 12:31 PM
03/13/06 12:31 PM
Tammy Roesch  Offline OP
North East OHIO
quote:
So, it clearly isn't just Satan misrepresenting God's character: erroneous teachings do, too,
Exactly, Colin. She says,
quote:
It is through false theories and traditions that Satan gains his power over the mind. By directing men to false standards, he misshapes the character. {DA 671.1}

Re: Is The Character of God Being Misrepresented? #48243
03/13/06 12:47 PM
03/13/06 12:47 PM
J
John Boskovic  Offline
Dedicated Member
Ontario
quote:
It is through false theories and traditions that Satan gains his power over the mind. By directing men to false standards, he misshapes the character.
So what is the character of God?

Re: Is The Character of God Being Misrepresented? #48244
03/13/06 02:22 PM
03/13/06 02:22 PM
Darius  Offline
Dedicated Member
Muncie, IN
quote:
Originally posted by John Boskovic:
So what is the character of God?

If you wish to understand the character of God you have to do it by proxy since no one has seen God at any time. The easiest way to understand the character of God is to understand the character of man and the rest of Creation. He cannot be worst than the best humans can be and are.

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/30/24 10:34 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Daryl. 05/01/24 07:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 04/29/24 04:47 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!