HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,629
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 24
kland 13
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, Daryl, dedication, Nadi, 2 invisible), 2,967 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Self Defense. Is it Biblical? #49603
04/23/05 12:38 PM
04/23/05 12:38 PM
Redfog  Offline OP
Michigan, USA
On another SDA forum which I'm a member of we got into a discussion about the Biblical basis of self defense. I was surprised to learn there are those who do not believe we should ever fight an attacker, even in the case where our family or spouse was being brutalized by a criminal. They back their ideas up with Biblical verses and Mrs. White. Any thoughts on this?

Redfog

Re: Self Defense. Is it Biblical? #49604
04/23/05 10:06 PM
04/23/05 10:06 PM
V. Hahn  Offline
Posting New Member
Grand Rapids, MI
For myself, I have come to the conclusion that I would not try to injure someone else in order to save myself or someone else. I believe that prayer for protection would enable angels to do battle for me--and I mean that figuratively. The belief in a protecting God is so liberating and gives me a feeling of peace in even the most scary situations.

A personal testimony--

Some years ago I used to take walks in my urban neighborhood after dark. This was a very safe, well-to-do area with lights and sidewalks and others walking. I never felt threatened in 18 years of doing this...until...once when I was walking next to a lake and was coming up to a dark curve with no nearby houses. As I was nearing this place, I could hear the thumping of bass on someone's radio, and a car with dark windows came around the curve and drove very slowly by me. I turned left up a road to avoid the dark area and noticed the car coming back and headed around the curve again, again very slowly.

I started getting a bit panicky, because I knew he could head me off at the next street corner. I started praying for protection and turned to go back. The dark-windowed car did cross the street I had been headed toward and then I absolutely knew that I was being stalked. Mind you, all of this happened within a minute or two--it was happening much faster than I can tell it!

There were two big houses nearby and I pondered whether to go to one of their doors and ask for help. Just then, another car drove right up in front of me, and the driver, a nice woman rolled down her window and asked, "Do you need help? I think you're in danger. Can I give you a lift?"

Of course, I jumped right in and took her offer to drive me home. She told me that as she was pulling out of her driveway, she saw me and the car slowly going by me, so she decided to drive around the block to see if she could help.

To me she was like an angel, but even though she probably wasn't, I know God sent her to save me in a dangerous situation. After that, I never walked at night again, and I have never doubted God's protecting presence in my life.

We don't need guns, knives, martial arts or anything else to protect us as long as we have prayer. God protects His own if we trust in Him.

Psalm 32:7

[ April 23, 2005, 07:41 PM: Message edited by: V. Hahn ]

Re: Self Defense. Is it Biblical? #49605
04/23/05 10:56 PM
04/23/05 10:56 PM
Daryl  Online Canadian

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
I moved this topic into the Christian Living forum.

Re: Self Defense. Is it Biblical? #49606
04/23/05 11:16 PM
04/23/05 11:16 PM
Redfog  Offline OP
Michigan, USA
I've always felt that our first defense should be prayer and trust in God. However I also feel that it is Biblical to use force if need be to protect ourselves and our family. Indeed if my family were to be in harms way and I did nothing to prevent an attack would I not be partly responsible for their injuries or deaths? Jesus said greater love has no man than that he lay down his life for his friends. He also said in the old testament that if a thief breaks into your house and you kill him defending your place you will be blameless in his death. At the same time Jesus is our example and He did not fight back.

V. Hahn I wonder if that lady who picked you up could have been an angel?

Redfog

Re: Self Defense. Is it Biblical? #49607
04/24/05 12:18 AM
04/24/05 12:18 AM
V. Hahn  Offline
Posting New Member
Grand Rapids, MI
It's very possible. After the incident I was very hyped and called the police to report it and everything.

Now I look back on it, I could kick myself for not going back later to that lady's house and thank her again for what she did for me. It's been 8 years now and I live in a different state, so I guess I'll never know if she really lived where I think she lived or if it was truly an angel. God sent her, so she was an angel to me! I guess I'll have to add that to my list of questions to ask my angel when I get to heaven! [Wink]

Re: Self Defense. Is it Biblical? #49608
04/24/05 12:19 AM
04/24/05 12:19 AM
V. Hahn  Offline
Posting New Member
Grand Rapids, MI
I would be interested in hearing about more miraculous interventions!

Vicki

Re: Self Defense. Is it Biblical? #49609
04/24/05 02:01 AM
04/24/05 02:01 AM
Redfog  Offline OP
Michigan, USA
You may live in a different state but hey, at least it's a good one!

Redfog
Cedar Lake

Re: Self Defense. Is it Biblical? #49610
04/24/05 02:03 AM
04/24/05 02:03 AM
Davros  Offline
Dedicated Member
Ohio
I wonder what we would do in the time of trouble.

Re: Self Defense. Is it Biblical? #49611
04/24/05 12:32 PM
04/24/05 12:32 PM
Cheri Fritz  Offline
Gloversville, NY, USA
Greetings RedFog,

It is true we are not to bear arms of any force to hurt another. Christ was our supreme example while on the cross AND He even forgave as He spoke
in Luke 23:34 "Then said Jesus, Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do. And they parted his raiment, and cast lots."

We are to LEARN to trust in the Heavenly Father for all our needs.

quote:
Only the sense of God's presence can banish the fear that, for the timid child, would make life a burden. Let him fix in his memory the promise, "The angel of the Lord encampeth round about them that fear Him, and delivereth them." Psalm 34:7. Let him read that wonderful story of Elisha in the mountain city, and, between him and the hosts of armed foemen, a mighty encircling band of heavenly angels. Let him read how to Peter, in
prison and condemned to death, God's angel appeared; how, past the armed guards, the massive doors and great iron gateway with their bolts and bars, the angel led God's servant forth in safety. Let him read of that scene on the sea, when the tempest-tossed soldiers and seamen, worn with labor and watching and long fasting, Paul the prisoner, on his way to trial and execution, spoke those grand words of courage and hope: "Be of good cheer: for there shall be no loss of any man's life among you. . . . For there stood by me this night the angel of God, whose I am, and whom I serve, saying, Fear not, Paul; thou must be brought before Caesar: and, lo, God hath given thee all them that sail with thee." In the faith of this promise Paul assured his companions, "There shall not an hair fall from the head of any of you." So it came to pass. Because there was in that ship one man through whom God could work, the whole shipload of heathen soldiers and sailors was preserved. "They escaped all safe to land." Acts 27:22-24, 34, 44. {Ed 255.4}
These things were not written merely that we might read and wonder, but that the same faith which wrought in God's servants of old might work in us. In no less marked a manner than He wrought then will He work now wherever there are hearts of faith to be channels of His power. {Ed 256.1}

I know for a fact that if we cherish the Lord we will learn to be bearers of the Light for Christ Jesus. That we will go only where He bids and do only what the Father wills. That we are truly living in the Day of Atonement where Christ is in the Most Holy Place. That our work is to be working on self so that we might be vessels to stream His precious rays of truth through out the world through His power of true love.

Your Sister in Christ Jesus,
Cheri Fritz

Re: Self Defense. Is it Biblical? #49612
04/24/05 12:47 PM
04/24/05 12:47 PM
Redfog  Offline OP
Michigan, USA
I see a fundamental difference in defending ones self from common criminals intent on murder, rape and mayhem and the time of trouble when we will be hunted down and put on trial for our faith. When we are persecuted for our beliefs God will be our only defense, fighting back, except for fleeing, will be futile.

At all times avoidance is the preferred defense either now or in the time of trouble. Our God is an awesome God that can protect us in many ways, and one of those ways, IMO, is providing the means for us to stand up to criminals and use whatever it takes to defend ourselves and loved ones from danger. Mind you I have never had to do this and take measure to ensure I don't, however if need be I have the means.

By living modestly in the country we can avoid most bad situations and it is also a lifestyle that is more in tune with the Creator. As a avid backpacker I think it will be easier to flee to the "mountains" in the last days though we are told we will not be able to take anything, like a pack, with us.

Redfog

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!