HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,609
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 9
Daryl 4
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
7 registered members (Kevin H, Karen Y, Daryl, dedication, ProdigalOne, 2 invisible), 3,097 guests, and 13 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: Is Dressing Up For Church Really Necessary & Important? #49671
10/08/05 01:20 PM
10/08/05 01:20 PM
J
Jeff  Offline
Supporting Member 2007
Mississippi, USA
When I first joined the church I did not wear a suit. After some time I was made a deacon. I always seemed to get sour looks attended by low whispering from a certain section of the church when it was my turn to take up offering. After hearing a few side comments—you know, the kind that are not directed at you, but are really meant for you—I decided that the “looks” were disapproval for my church attire. I had been meaning to buy a suit anyway, so I finally did.

It’s amazing how a simple thing like wearing different kinds of cloth rearranged in different ways can make sour people smile. I sometimes think we say we’re dressing up for God, but we’re often really dressing up because that’s what's expected.

Jeff

Re: Is Dressing Up For Church Really Necessary & Important? #49672
10/09/05 03:22 AM
10/09/05 03:22 AM
Redfog  Offline
Michigan, USA
In our church we had a rule that said if you were taking up the offering you had to wear a tie. One time when I was head deacon I asked someone to help with the offering and he said he didn't own a tie. I told him that was OK it was no longer the rule. I took a little heat over that but from then on we were able to get others involved with the service, especially the young people who dressed more casually. And then before too long we actually started using women to help with the offering! Ooo ahhh. Now for better or worse we don't even pass a plate on Sabbath mornings.

Redfog

Re: Is Dressing Up For Church Really Necessary & Important? #49673
10/09/05 03:47 AM
10/09/05 03:47 AM
Redfog  Offline
Michigan, USA
Thoughts on Sabbath dress. In Mrs Whites day there was a bigger difference between Sabbath clothes and common every day clothes. If you've ever scrutinized photos from her era you will see that, at least in rural areas, people were very dirty. A farmer might wear the same pair of pants several days in a row even with manure on them. He might only take a bath once or twice a week as well. For Adventist to take a bath and get it finished before sundown on Friday was a big chore, heating the water on a wood stove and dumping it in the tub and this was done many times for a large family. Good clothes required much care to wash by hand, dry on a line and iron with a stove heated iron. I think EGW would have said to set aside clothes for Sabbath because it was such a chore to get those clothes presentable. Life was harsh back then before electricity came to the farms. And lets face it our SDA roots were from the simple country folks, not the sophisticated city people with their maids, servants and more modern lifestyle. The good old days were not good by present standards and the old is what you became early from over work.

My 92 year old father talks about coming home from Emmanuel Missionary Collage (now Andrews) to help his dad wire the farm in the late 30's for electricity, and the enormous changes that it made, from indoor plumbing to milking machines to no more sooty oil lamps. The changes it brought made some of what Mrs. White spoke of somewhat out of date. And in the last 50 years even more changes have taken place, like perma press clothes that have further altered the need for special Sabbath clothes.

Just my $0.02 worth.

Redfog

Re: Is Dressing Up For Church Really Necessary & Important? #49674
10/08/05 06:30 PM
10/08/05 06:30 PM
D
D R  Offline
Charter Member
SDA
Active Member 2020

East Coast Canada
So Red, are you saying that times change? I have been taught that the words of EGW meant what they meant and still have the same meanings that they had when they were first penned...

-I am pleased to live in a region and era that allows for the wardrobe that I have today. When I was a boy, I owned 2 pairs of pants 3 maybe 4 shirts, 1 pair of sneakers, 1 pair of boots, and 1 pair of dress shoes. I am SO GLAD to have access to high quality recycled clothing shops today!

Re: Is Dressing Up For Church Really Necessary & Important? #49675
10/08/05 07:54 PM
10/08/05 07:54 PM
Redfog  Offline
Michigan, USA
Dan I believe that Mrs. Whites writings have to be looked at in the context and time frame in which she wrote. Just as we do with the Bible. For instance she says that drugs never heal, well in her day anti-biotic's had not been invented and clearly they do heal. She also said we should not spend money on bicycles. When we look at the time frame in which she wrote that we realize that bikes were an enormously expensive fad. Within a few years the fad had passed and their price had dropped to the point that they had become an inexpensive and healthy form of transportation.

There is however a grave danger of making everything she wrote irrelevant and that process must always be guarded against for it is a dangerous downhill slope. The ideas behind her writings are as relevant today as when she wrote them however some of the details cannot be applied to today's modern technological society.

Redfog

Re: Is Dressing Up For Church Really Necessary & Important? #49676
10/22/05 09:15 PM
10/22/05 09:15 PM
Angie Street  Offline
Michigan
Well, back to the topic at hand... I wear a nice skirt and shirt with tights and a pair of low heel shoes. I feel that this outfit is something that is modest and a bit dressy. I don't think that we need to be "dressed to the nines," tho. We should feel like we are going to see our Lord, not like we are trying to outdress everyone else. What we wear to church is what we wear. Are we gonna kick someone outta church just cuz he is not wearing dress clothes like the rest of the people? Are we gonna kick the lady with the mini skirt out, just cuz she isn't dressing modestly? We have to realize that not everyone is raised the exact same way that we were. We all have our own values. If a woman doesn't feel like wearing a dress to church, that's her business. We are all there to worship. Also, there have been times when I have worn JEANS [Eek!] (gasp) to make the people in my family feel more comfortable because THEY don't have nice clothes to wear. It has made a few people go to church with me because "I" made them feel comfortable in what they had. We need to take our eyes off the outward adornment and turn our eyes to Jesus. Now, I do have an issue if a man who wears a suit and tie everyday to work comes to church on Sabbath in jeans and t-shirt. He's not even trying... IMO

Re: Is Dressing Up For Church Really Necessary & Important? #49677
11/05/05 02:36 AM
11/05/05 02:36 AM
D
D R  Offline
Charter Member
SDA
Active Member 2020

East Coast Canada
We may not "kick" a person out because of what they are or are not wearing BUT we sure do "talk" about them (please refer to the 9th Commandment). Which is worse, the torn jeans, the miniskirt, the khaki pants and polo shirt, or the judgements that "we" place upon people whom do not wear their dress, or suite and tie????

Re: Is Dressing Up For Church Really Necessary & Important? #49678
11/05/05 08:25 AM
11/05/05 08:25 AM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
Whats wrong with Khaki and polo?

Re: Is Dressing Up For Church Really Necessary & Important? #49679
11/05/05 08:09 PM
11/05/05 08:09 PM
Darius  Offline
Dedicated Member
Muncie, IN
Sabbath clothes? Interesting. Now, for those who believe, and I don't, that the Sabbath was given to Adam, what kind of clothes would those be? I vote for that kind of Sabbath clothes.

Re: Is Dressing Up For Church Really Necessary & Important? #49680
11/05/05 08:21 PM
11/05/05 08:21 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
To make an ironic point based on premises you dont accept yourself? Does this have anything to do with boredom?

/Thomas

Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/30/24 10:34 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Daryl. 05/01/24 07:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 04/29/24 04:47 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!