HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,600
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 14
kland 9
Daryl 3
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, ProdigalOne, Kevin H, Daryl, 1 invisible), 2,960 guests, and 19 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 14 15
Chronicles of Narnia #49753
12/11/05 05:11 PM
12/11/05 05:11 PM
Redfog  Offline OP
Michigan, USA
Right now there is a lot of talk about the Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis, especially with the release of movie "The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe". These books are allegories of Christianity. Do these works have any place in a Christians home? How is an allegory different from a parable? Are modern day parables, made up by man, appropriate to get across the Gospel? Is there ever a place for works of fiction in making a point?

Redfog

Re: Chronicles of Narnia #49754
12/11/05 06:00 PM
12/11/05 06:00 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
Ellen on allegories;
quote:
Success in the winning of souls does not depend upon age or circumstances, but upon the love one has for others. Consider John Bunyan imprisoned in the Bedford jail. His enemies think they have placed him where his work for others must cease. But not so. He is not idle. The love for souls continues to burn within him, and from the loath-some dungeon there is sent forth a light that has shone to all parts of the civilized world. There he wrote his wonderful allegory of the pilgrim's journey from the land of destruction to the celestial city. This book, "The Pilgrim's Progress," portrays the Christian life so accurately, and presents the love of Christ so attractively, that through its instrumentality hundreds and thousands have been converted. {RH, May 30, 1912 par. 11}

Re: Chronicles of Narnia #49755
12/12/05 03:10 AM
12/12/05 03:10 AM
Restin  Offline
Apopka, Florida, USA
Sister White recommended in one of her books that people read "Pilgrim's Progress", which kind of surprised me at first. I saw the movie Narnia this week, realizing it's a Christian allegory where the lion represents Christ and the witch represents Satan and his ravages on earth. In the movie, there is a bad, traitorous brother, Edmund, who is deceived by the evil ruler of Narnia. But Aslan the lion agrees to give up his life on an altar to save the boy. Aslan is resurrected eventually and Edmund changes. When I got home i lay down on the couch to reflect on this, and began a reverie of my own youth, realizing for the first time how trying I was to my family. I was defiant and sarcastic, and blamed my relatives for a lot of trouble of my own making. Seeing the majesty, power, and love of Aslan as Christ made Christ more real to me in this mmoment. Of course, I don't see a lion, but Christ as human. I confessed in tears. I then felt forgiven and a great load taken off from many years past. So, if that is what Narnia inspires people to do, it would seem there is something positive about it. I certainly didn't get anything like that from "Harry Potter" or "Lord-of-the-Rings" [Pray]

Re: Chronicles of Narnia #49756
12/12/05 03:20 AM
12/12/05 03:20 AM
Davros  Offline
Dedicated Member
Ohio
To be fair, The Chronicles of Narnia are not Christian Allegories. Lewis said,

quote:
Some people seem to think that I began by asking myself how I could say something about Christianity to children; then fixed on the fairy tale as an instrument; then collected information about child-psychology and decided what age group I'd write for; then drew up a list of basic Christian truths and hammered out 'allegories' to embody them. This is all pure moonshine. I couldn't write in that way at all. Everything began with images; a faun carrying an umbrella, a queen on a sledge, a magnificent lion. At first there wasn’t anything Christian about them; that element pushed itself in of its own accord. It was part of the bubbling.
Of Other Worlds, 1966

The bubbling that Lewis was referring to is a statement he made earlier about Christianity; he asserted that Christianity was like air under water. No matter how much water is on top, Christianity will come to the top.

[ December 13, 2005, 12:45 AM: Message edited by: Dave Hoover ]

Re: Chronicles of Narnia #49757
12/12/05 03:31 AM
12/12/05 03:31 AM
Davros  Offline
Dedicated Member
Ohio
Personally I find these stories quite good, and they also have a good lesson with them. I was quite amazed when I read the book called "C. S. Lewis: Letters to Children." Lots of children understood what was behind these stories, and lots of children say they have come closer to Jesus because of them. One that was extra interesting was a parent that wrote Lewis because she was afraid her son would love Aslan more than Jesus. Lewis wrote back,

quote:
Laurence can't really love Aslan more than Jesus, even if he feels that's what he is doing. For the things he loves Aslan for doing or saying are simply the things Jesus really did and said. So that when Laurence thinks he is loving Aslan, he is really loving Jesus: and perhaps loving Him more than he ever did before.
C. S. Lewis: Letters to Children

I loved the stories of Narnia when I was young, because my mother was very careful in explaining what the stories meant. Now that I am older, I very much enjoy C. S. Lewis' nonfiction and adult works. "A Grief Observed," "Mere Christianity," and "The problem of pain" are outstanding books, and I believe that God gave the man quite some insight. It fascinates me how an avid atheist can become a devout Christian.

Re: Chronicles of Narnia #49758
12/12/05 02:58 PM
12/12/05 02:58 PM
Redfog  Offline OP
Michigan, USA
Interesting posts on here. Restin I was especially touched by your post.

Growing up I was not allowed to read fiction, therefore I never read any of the Chronicles of Narnia however as an adult I've learned to enjoy and love the books having read them several times. You can pick up a book and be through it in an hour or two and feel good about it. Even when there is not any allegorical stuff going on there is still a message of right and wrong. Yes they are light reading and really written for kids however I think most adults can still enjoy them and gain something from them.

Redfog

Re: Chronicles of Narnia #49759
12/13/05 07:15 AM
12/13/05 07:15 AM
D
Dora  Offline
Charter Member
Active Member 2013
Veteran Member
USA
From some of the posts I have read here, I am sure there will be those who disagree with this one. I almost did not post because of causing dissention, but I realize there are some things one just has to speak out about if they are convicted. And I am.

I imagine most have seen the Review, with the garish pictures. And, this below is quoted there, part of which is from Lewis himself. I have to say that I never thought I would see our church paper, which our pioneers heavily sacrificed to print in its' beginnings, ever have something like this printed in it.
"Perhaps Lewis provides a clue in talking about the process by which he wrote his children’s stories. He emphasized that his stories were primarily stories.

“Some people think that I began by asking myself how I could say something about Christianity to children,” he wrote, “then fixed on the fairy tale as an instrument; then collected information about child psychology and decided what age group to write for; then drew up a list of basic Christian truths and hammered out ‘allegories’ to embody them. This is all pure moonshine. I couldn’t write in that way at all. . . . At first there wasn’t even anything Christian about them; that element pushed itself in of its own accord. It was part of the bubbling.”

Perhaps sometimes we need to focus less on being evangelistic and more on simply being. Lewis sought to create a simple story, and his faith bubbled into it naturally. Direct evangelism is important, but, paradoxically, it may at times get in the way of our being most real and most effective, as well as adding a burden of guilt to our daily interactions." The Adventist Review

As far as these books and the movie being spiritual and bringing the "symbolism of Christ" to the children, this is what our local paper said:

"Most young readers don't care about the symbolism, or even notice it. They're just wondering what magic awaits on the next page. Moreover, Lewis scholars say, the author felt that the stories should simply be enjoyed--preferably by a child hiding under the covers with a flashlight."

"Lewis' theology makes his stories of magic acceptable even to the conservative Christians who object to the witchcraft of Harry Potter, said Joe Barnhart, a philophy professor at the University of North Texas."
The Paducah Sun

I saw today that this movie had grossed much more than the Harry Potter movie this week. Maybe Satan has thought he would try being a bit more subtle with his "magic."

Does this sound a bit familiar to us, how for every truth, Satan has a subtle counterfeit waiting. Yes, Jesus IS called "the Lion of the tribe of Judah," but do you think the Bible writer had this movie in mind when he wrote that?

In His Love,

Re: Chronicles of Narnia #49760
12/13/05 10:49 AM
12/13/05 10:49 AM
Avalee  Offline
Charter Member
Active Member 2014

Most Dedicated Member
Northern CA
Dora I for one do agree with you and yes when you have a conviction on something like this you need to speak up. Our church is being deceived by all this garbage. And yes I call it garbage. It is nothing like Pilgrims Progress at all. Oh sure you will find your few that say there are great christian morals to be found in them. However just like that paper said..the young people and I may say older people too are reading them more for the "magic" in them. It matters not the excuses they make up for reading them and going to see them at the theater. We are being lulled to sleep.

[Thank You & Welcome] Dora for standing up for God's true principles. Amen

Re: Chronicles of Narnia #49761
12/13/05 11:02 AM
12/13/05 11:02 AM
C
Charity  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2020

4500+ Member
USA
Avalee and Dora, have you read the children's books and adult books by Lewis?

I think overall it is good material. But the quality of a dramatized version of the children's books depends on the producer in the same way that a dramatization of the passion depends on the producer. The story line is being interpreted through someone else's eyes.

Re: Chronicles of Narnia #49762
12/13/05 12:11 PM
12/13/05 12:11 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
In which ways is Lewis different from J.R.R. Tolkien (The Lord of the Rings) and J.K. Rowling (Harry Potter)? I have read none of these but it seems all of them portray some kind of struggle between good and evil.

Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 14 15

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/28/24 11:09 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 04/28/24 09:29 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!