HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,601
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 15
kland 9
Daryl 3
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, ProdigalOne, Kevin H, Daryl, 1 invisible), 2,952 guests, and 19 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 14 15
Re: Chronicles of Narnia #49773
12/13/05 05:34 PM
12/13/05 05:34 PM
Davros  Offline
Dedicated Member
Ohio
quote:
We don't need to know how brilliant Senior Lewis is...
Not really the question at hand. It is not difficult to find the story of the gospel in the works of C. S. Lewis if one knows the Bible. The problem is that today we are uneducated in the Bible. We don't teach our children about it, we don't spend enough time reading it, and we are not surrounded by it.

Again, don't let a movie about a book decide what a book is like (Although I am not going to see the movie because of the way Hollywood messes things up). And do not judge something that you know nothing about. Yes, we know people by their fruit, but you must first examine that fruit to see it is good. I'm not going to list the books again, but try reading one of them. If you knew about his life and the way he felt about Christ (not to mention how he was converted from atheism to Christianity), you might get a different view.

Re: Chronicles of Narnia #49774
12/13/05 05:41 PM
12/13/05 05:41 PM
Redfog  Offline OP
Michigan, USA
Or the parable about the rich man and Lazarus, since that is obvious fiction.

However at the same time the Chronicles are not for everyone. And they should never take the place of Bible study. Also if a person is not well grounded in Christ the analogies could be rather confusing. I never read them as a child because I was not allowed to read any fiction however as an adult I've come to enjoy them and they have broadened my understanding of Christianity, but for some they might not.

How's that for a straddling the fence, wishy washy post? [Smile]

Redfog

Re: Chronicles of Narnia #49775
12/13/05 05:48 PM
12/13/05 05:48 PM
Davros  Offline
Dedicated Member
Ohio
I would agree Redfog. If someone does not know the Bible, it is pointless for them to read Narnia. Only someone that knows the Bible can appreciate the Christian depth in the story.

Re: Chronicles of Narnia #49776
12/13/05 06:28 PM
12/13/05 06:28 PM
razorren  Offline
Bahamas
[Smile]

So be it, but personally my position has been stated.

I find no comfort in the thought of willingly exposing my family to something that may lead them away from Christ. And all in the name of self entertainment? Seems to me that this is too great a risk and too great a price to be paid.

Do a Google search, and you will find websites that claim that Christ can be found in almost any movie...including Lord of The Rings, Harry Potter, Batman, etc, etc, etc. Where to we as the "Remnant" draw the line and say no?

This crafty lie was concieved in the mind of Satan, and many in the church are buying it whole sale. The temple of God had nothing to do with idols! There will be no magic, magical characters, or anything like it in heaven! They will be destroyed along with their creator by The Christ and I want no part in that fire.

There is no middle gound in this spiritual war. We are either worshiping God in all that we do or we are in the camp of the deciever and destroyer of souls.

--Ren

Phi 2:9 Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name:
Phi 2:10 That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth;
Phi 2:11 And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.
Phi 2:12 Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling.

Re: Chronicles of Narnia #49777
12/13/05 06:46 PM
12/13/05 06:46 PM
razorren  Offline
Bahamas
Redfrog wrote...

quote:
Or the parable about the rich man and Lazarus, since that is obvious fiction.
Redfrog lets look at some difinitions...

Fiction as defined by Webster:
(1)Something invented by the imagination or feigned
(2) An assumption of a possibility as a fact irrespective of the question of its truth

Parable:
(1) A usually short fictitious story that illustrates a moral attitude or a religious principle

So, fiction is a story of some sort that did not take place AND lacks truth. The parables that Jesus told were filled with truth and principle.

--Ren

Re: Chronicles of Narnia #49778
12/13/05 07:01 PM
12/13/05 07:01 PM
razorren  Offline
Bahamas
Redfrog, Dave, please show me in scripture where those who belong to Christ should have ANYTHING to do with magic. While you are searching for that there are a few scriptures that advise us otherwise...

Rev 22:14 Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.
Rev 22:15 For without are dogs, and sorcerers, and whoremongers, and murderers, and idolaters, and whosoever loveth and maketh a lie.

Jer 27:9 Therefore hearken not ye to your prophets, nor to your diviners, nor to your dreamers, nor to your enchanters, nor to your sorcerers, which speak unto you, saying, Ye shall not serve the king of Babylon:
Jer 27:10 For they prophesy a lie unto you, to remove you far from your land; and that I should drive you out, and ye should perish.

Lev 18:21 And thou shalt not let any of thy seed pass through the fire to Molech, neither shalt thou profane the name of thy God: I am the LORD.

Lev 18:24 Defile not ye yourselves in any of these things: for in all these the nations are defiled which I cast out before you:
Lev 18:25 And the land is defiled: therefore I do visit the iniquity thereof upon it, and the land itself vomiteth out her inhabitants.
Lev 18:26 Ye shall therefore keep my statutes and my judgments, and shall not commit any of these abominations; neither any of your own nation, nor any stranger that sojourneth among you:
Lev 18:27 (For all these abominations have the men of the land done, which were before you, and the land is defiled;)
Lev 18:28 That the land spue not you out also, when ye defile it, as it spued out the nations that were before you.
Lev 18:29 For whosoever shall commit any of these abominations, even the souls that commit them shall be cut off from among their people.
Lev 18:30 Therefore shall ye keep mine ordinance, that ye commit not any one of these abominable customs, which were committed before you, and that ye defile not yourselves therein: I am the LORD your God.

Is it now pleasing to the Lord for us to watch, read and enjoy the works of magic, since they claim to be speaking of Him?

By beholding we become changed.

--Ren

Re: Chronicles of Narnia #49779
12/13/05 07:03 PM
12/13/05 07:03 PM
Davros  Offline
Dedicated Member
Ohio
quote:
Do a Google search, and you will find websites that claim that Christ can be found in almost any movie...including Lord of The Rings, Harry Potter, Batman, etc, etc, etc. Where to we as the "Remnant" draw the line and say no?

Maybe so, but none of those other works can count as a Christian alagorie. Like I said before, The author of Harry Potter has a lot of contempt for Christianity, The Lord of the Rings has Christian elemnt but does not focus on Christianity, and I cannot see much of Christ in Batman (in fact I think the creator of Batman was an athiest). To understand how Christian Narnia is, one should read the other works of C. S. Lewis.

Personally, I am not interested in the movie either. The books were good, but knowing Dysney and how movies loose a lot of the important (in this case Christian) parts, I think it would do more damage than good.

I think we draw the line at things we find vulgure (Batman), unrelated to the Bible (Harry Potter), and things that are not edifying. We should deffenatly exclude works that are written by people who have contempt for christianity. But for those who work hard for Christianity, I think I will follow Jesus:

quote:
Whoever is not against us is with us.
Mark 9:40 NCV

Re: Chronicles of Narnia #49780
12/13/05 07:09 PM
12/13/05 07:09 PM
Davros  Offline
Dedicated Member
Ohio
quote:
Parable:
(1) A usually short fictitious story that illustrates a moral attitude or a religious principle

Sounds like Narnia to me!

Re: Chronicles of Narnia #49781
12/13/05 07:18 PM
Davros  Offline
Dedicated Member
Ohio
quote:
So don't listen to your false prophets, those who use magic to tell the future, those who explain dreams, the mediums, or magicians. They all tell you, 'You will not be slaves to the king of Babylon.
Jeremiah 27:9 NCV

I don't see any real person using magic to tell the future of explain dreams, or is it just an illustration of the gospel?

Was it pleasing to God for Jesus to use a story that now confuses people about the state of the dead?

It is hard to judge without knowledge of those to be judged.

Re: Chronicles of Narnia #49782
razorren  Offline
Bahamas
This is a synopsis from Yahoo...
http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1808475642/details

Follows the exploits of the four Pevensie siblings--Lucy, Edmund, Susan and Peter--in World War II England who enter the world of Narnia through a magical wardrobe while playing a game of 'hide and seek' in the rural country home of an elderly professor. Once there, the children discover a charming, peaceful land inhabited by talking beasts, dwarfs, fauns, centaurs, and giants that has become a world cursed to eternal winter by the evil White Witch, Jadis. Under the guidance of a noble and mystical ruler , the lion Aslan, the children fight to overcome the White Witch's powerful hold over Narnia in a spectacular, climactic battle that will free Narnia from Jadis' icy spell forever.

Judge for thyself.

--Ren

2Co 10:3 For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh:
2Co 10:4 (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds;)
2Co 10:5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;

Page 3 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 14 15

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/28/24 11:09 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 04/29/24 09:07 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 04/28/24 09:29 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!