HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,619
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 21
kland 9
Daryl 4
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Nadi, 2 invisible), 3,409 guests, and 22 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 5 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 15
Re: Chronicles of Narnia #49793
12/13/05 11:45 PM
12/13/05 11:45 PM
Redfog  Offline OP
Michigan, USA
Dave it has been years, maybe 15 or 20 since I went out and saw a movie. I don't even watch them at home or at the local academy, I hate prime time TV and just do not watch it either. They bore me and leave me feeling empty. However I did go and see this movie, it followed the book very closely, it really emphasizes the death and resurrection and why it was necessary. It would be impossible for anyone even remotely acquainted with Christianity to miss the allegorical meaning of this movie. And there is absolutely no blood shown in the battles, nor is there any foul language. I'm 100% certain this movie will be shown in academy chapels and in our churches fellowship halls just as soon as it comes out in DVD. I see no difference between seeing it in a theater, academy chapel or in the comfort of my own home.

Now that said I sure would not base any knowledge of Christianity on this movie or the books. Yes there is magic in the books and movie, but no more so than is in the Bible. The Bible is loaded with the supernatural (magic) for both good and evil. Would Mrs. White recommend these books? I have no idea, she apparently endorsed allegories and these books/movie is loaded with them, lots of them. Some of the other books in the series not so much.

Dora, and others, no you do not need to read the books to discuss them, (and all comments should be welcomed). You would understand the fuss about them better if you did however. I do not have to experience hiking the Appalachian Trail to discuss it, however having hiked the thing I can discus it with 1st hand knowledge.

I think the Chronicles are fine and not wrong to read, however maybe at some point in the future I may be impressed by the Holy Spirit to not read them, I'm not at that point in my walk with God yet. I enjoy reading both the negative and positive comments on here about them. Just because we disagree on something does not mean we're not brothers and sisters in Christ.

Redfog

Re: Chronicles of Narnia #49794
12/14/05 12:23 AM
12/14/05 12:23 AM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
I could discuss hiking the Appalachians aswell. I have barely seen them once and have never hiked them. If I spoke about wanting to hike there I could do so well, if I spoke about stories from others who had hiked there I may manage that aswell, but if I tried to explain the particular toils and dangers of hiking in the appalachian mountains, anyone who had acctually been there on foot would immediately recognise me as a fake trying to be something or someone I am not. It would easily become rediculious if I tried to describe a view I have never seen or a sweat that never broke on my brow.
Same thing with discussing books. Having read the book Im sometimes left wondering if we are really talking about the same thing at all.

/Thomas

Re: Chronicles of Narnia #49795
12/14/05 02:30 AM
12/14/05 02:30 AM
Redfog  Offline OP
Michigan, USA
Ren I naturally have to disagree with your definitions post [Smile]

As you state a couple of the definitions of fiction are:
(1)Something invented by the imagination or feigned
(2) An assumption of a possibility as a fact irrespective of the question of its truth

The parable of the Rich Man and Lazarus fits the first definition perfectly. It does not fit the 2nd. You have to take the definition that best applies to the situation.

Parable:
(1) A usually short fictitious story that illustrates a moral attitude or a religious principle

Notice a parable can be either fiction or true. Something can be filled with truth but that does not make it true, that is a huge difference. I agree that the Rich man and Lazarus parable is very much filled with truth but it was fiction invented by the imagination. Any novel can be filled with truth but that does not make the novel true.

A better definition of the Rich man and Lazarus parable might be an allegory. Which is what the Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe is.

So in some ways the Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe could also be a parable.

I hope I didn't muddy the waters too terribly much? [Confused]

Redfog

Re: Chronicles of Narnia #49796
12/14/05 09:18 AM
12/14/05 09:18 AM
Kevin H  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

New York
Having studied the issue of the Daily, and Mrs. White telling what visions do and do not do for her, and what she sees as the key messages from her visions and central to her message, I have been amazed that C. S. Lewis keeps coming up with the same key consepts.

Re: Chronicles of Narnia #49797
12/14/05 01:27 PM
12/14/05 01:27 PM
Davros  Offline
Dedicated Member
Ohio
Pardon?

Re: Chronicles of Narnia #49798
12/14/05 08:13 PM
12/14/05 08:13 PM
D
D R  Offline
Charter Member
SDA
Active Member 2020

East Coast Canada
Interesting posts all around! I can't believe it! I TOTALLY AGREE with David! Amen Brother, I knew we could one day agree on something BESIDES "agreeing to dissagree"
-Seriously though RAZOR since we are to take the Parables of Christ as 100% truth, the Prodigals son is confirming and giving truth on many fields, even on the issue of the "family ring" and all that it symbolizes. I know that this will cross the lines of another thread BUT the ring is of great importance, why WHY ? do we as SDA's take such paranoia of sinet, family or brotherhood rings? When Christ himself used this to present a very powerful point!?
-I have NEVER read any CSLewis, nor have I seen the movie. As for my approval... who cares! answer God does! I am sure from the many quotes and responses that I have read from SDA and "other" Christians, that this presents Christ and the great struggle of "the Great Controversy" (not the EGW edition) in a manner that Children and adults can learn from. I will go see the movie, even in a house of Theatres! Yikes [Smile]
-I will follow up this post once I have viewed the film.

========

Removed the political remarks as political remarks such as this are not to be a part of this or any other topic of MSDAOL. - Daryl [Caution]

[ December 17, 2005, 05:31 PM: Message edited by: Daryl Fawcett ]

Re: Chronicles of Narnia #49799
12/16/05 11:58 AM
12/16/05 11:58 AM
razorren  Offline
Bahamas

Re: Chronicles of Narnia #49800
12/16/05 01:58 PM
12/16/05 01:58 PM
Cheri Fritz  Offline
Gloversville, NY, USA
Greetings,

Just a couple of years ago, I was speaking to my church sister about how lovely it is to witness God's Holy Spirit moving His people together. She and I spoke further and the subject came up that the enemy in all this discord, even has an order for his work to be accomplished too. I was reminded of this conversation this morning when I read anothers post question from another group.

Below I will share their question and my response.
quote:
Greetings (name removed),

Your question: What did Ellen White specify about Fairy Tales....what are your
thoughts?

Myths and Fairy Tales

In the education of children and youth, fairy tales, myths, and fictitious stories are now given a large place. Books of this character are used in the schools, and they are to be found in many homes. How can Christian parents permit their children to use books so filled with falsehood? When the children ask the meaning of stories so contrary to the teaching of their parents, the answer is that the stories are not true; but this does not do away with the evil results of their use. The ideas presented in these books mislead the children. They impart false views of life and beget and foster a desire for the unreal.
The widespread use of such books at this time is one of the cunning devices of Satan. He is seeking to divert the minds of old and young from the great work of preparation for the things that are coming upon the earth. He means that our children and youth shall be swept away by the soul-destroying deceptions with which he is flooding the world. Therefore he seeks to divert their minds from the word of God, and thus prevent them from gaining a knowledge of those truths that would be their safeguard.
Never should books containing a perversion of truth be placed before children or youth. And if those with mature minds had nothing to do with such books, they would be far safer. Testimonies, Volume 8, page 308-309, paragraphs 1 & 2.

From my own experience, I grew up Seventh-day Adventist. My parents were very liberal. I will share with you the results of fairy tales within my life. I grew to love them more than Christ. They prayed on my mind always. I read and read about fantasy always. I wanted to be like those stories and fables and myths. Sad, it is true, I never wanted to be like Jesus then.

The things which cause us to look away from Christ are just an enticement so that we may ever so slightly walk off the narrow path.

So with all things, we must take them into prayer, ask for the Lord's Holy Spirit to teach all truth. Search the scriptures so that we learn of Christ.

My prayers are with you,
with love,
Your Sister in Christ Jesus,
Cheri

Dear Brethren and Sisters, Christ prayed that we might be one. Oh that each of us would come together in one accord in the faith of Christ Jesus and not faith in Him.

Let us work towards our goal to have the mind of Christ, to have a clean heart and a renewed spirit.

Enjoy this blessed Sabbath,
Your Sister in Christ Jesus,
Cheri Fritz

Re: Chronicles of Narnia #49801
12/16/05 03:43 PM
12/16/05 03:43 PM
Redfog  Offline OP
Michigan, USA
Cheri I grew up just the opposite, my parents were very conservative and I was never allowed to read fiction. It was only as an adult that I read the Chronicles of Narnia. At the time I first read them I really did not have my heart in the church. Really luke warm (with apologies to my son, Luke) you could say. I found that those simple little analogies were one step in the process of bringing me back to the Bible. I do see the danger of anyone immersing themselves too deeply into them, or anything else for that matter. It seems like every few years I'll pick up the books and read a couple of them. Light reading for sure.

Redfog

Re: Chronicles of Narnia #49802
12/16/05 06:12 PM
12/16/05 06:12 PM
Davros  Offline
Dedicated Member
Ohio
quote:
I grew to love them more than Christ. They prayed on my mind always. I read and read about fantasy always. I wanted to be like those stories and fables and myths. Sad, it is true, I never wanted to be like Jesus then.
Does this stop you from reading Lewis' non ficton books?

Page 5 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 15

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/30/24 10:34 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:07 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!