HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,631
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 20
kland 5
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Daryl
Daryl
Nova Scotia, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Daryl, Kevin H), 3,315 guests, and 10 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Allow me to introduce myself #53143
11/06/00 02:52 AM
11/06/00 02:52 AM
C
Catherine  Offline OP
Charter Member
Veteran Member
Michigan, USA

I am not a “real” birder – just someone who loves all of nature, and especially enjoys watching the birds at my feeders. I have heard of people making life lists of birds they have seen, which I assume include the date, time, and location of first sightings of every different bird they have ever seen. Sounds kind of like work to me! I have seen many different kinds of birds, and I remember them all, as well as the general area where I’ve seen them, and even the time period within months or years when I’ve seen the most unusual ones. That's close enough for me!

My husband and I always have to identify every bird we see, and our Golden Guide to Field Identification of Birds of North America is definitely the most-used book in the house – well, after our Bibles, that is, and some of Sister White’s books, and maybe the dictionary, but maybe not! My only regret is that we didn’t have it with us when we walked to the point of Point Pelee, so that we could identify that unusual bird we saw that day, singing on the top of an electrical pole. (Not out at the point, mind you!) We took a picture so we could check it out later, but having only an ordinary fixed-focus camera, it wasn’t good enough for the bird to be identified.

One of my cherished ambitions is to feed the birds out of my hands, someday when I have the time to be still for the long time periods required. And yes, in case any of the rest of you are readers of Birds and Blooms, I know all about “Bill Bird-in-Hand,” but he is too expensive for me at this time. When I do it, I’m going to have to do it the hard way. But that’s OK – perhaps the thrill will be that much greater for the effort it takes to accomplish.

I am looking forward to discussing these most beautiful of God’s creatures with all of you here. One warning: Misspelled words drive me crazy, and I will correct any I find in your posts. Be prepared! (So if you see “edited by Cathy Sears” at the bottom of one of your posts and can’t find any difference, you will know that “teacher” has struck again! No comments from you please, Jason P! )

------------------
The Lord is the strength of my life and my portion forever.

[This message has been edited by Cathy Sears (edited June 04, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by Cathy Sears (edited August 24, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by Cathy Sears (edited August 24, 2001).]

Re: Allow me to introduce myself #53144
11/09/00 02:26 AM
11/09/00 02:26 AM
G
gypsyklb  Offline
Posting New Member
?
That was pretty 'cool' having your picture for the Introduction.

Like you, I have only recently been working on building an interest in birding (stemming from working with Pathfinders). My stepmom and cousin are authorities on the subject.

While you have the desire to have birds feed from you hand, I think I'll just have to wait until the earth is made new.

A story to share. One Sabbath afternoon I went with my parents to a side country road in Central Florida. When we got out of the cars, we had a healthy supply of raw peanuts in pockets and in hand to feed her "pet wild critters." In Florida, we have a number of endangered or special concern creatures, among which is the Florida Scrub Jay. We had not been out of the vehicles for a full minute, when we were surrounded with a small flock of Scrub Jays awaiting the peanuts she had been treating them with over the past few weeks. One individual had a twisted beak, but was most trusting. Several came to feed from her hand and Dad's. They were too shy to come to me.
This encounter was simply awesome.

Last summer I had a mother build a nest in my washroom. Never did determine which bird it was. I took the bird guide out to attempt to identify it a number of times. I was so pleased that she raised her family successfully despite my cat rooming around.

Praise God from where all blessings flow.

Re: Allow me to introduce myself #53145
11/11/00 04:20 AM
11/11/00 04:20 AM
Jason P  Offline
California, USA
You'l literly fix alll the werds?

Re: Allow me to introduce myself #53146
11/18/00 02:05 AM
11/18/00 02:05 AM
C
Catherine  Offline OP
Charter Member
Veteran Member
Michigan, USA
I knew you couldn't resist that Jason, that's why I said it. So because it would spoil the purpose of your post, I am going to leave your spelling alone there!

------------------
The Lord is the strength of my life and my portion forever.

Re: Allow me to introduce myself #53147
06/19/02 11:16 PM
06/19/02 11:16 PM
Zita  Offline
Christchurch, New Zealand
I thought it was high time I introduced myself, so here goes.

If you look on a world map, just down under Australia, is New Zealand.
It consists of 3 Islands, the North Island, the South Island and Stewart Island.

I was born in the lower North Island, and moved south when I was 14 years, and lived in Invercargill, which is right at the bottom near a very popular ski resort and town called Queenstown. At 18, the family moved up to Christchurch where I have remained ever since.

When we moved south, my father started his 1st avery. I had never seen a budgie so close up, and although it wasn't a walk in avery, it was the start of a very special relationship I have with birds. We had 6 budgies to start with, but when we came to Christchurch Dad built a large walk in avery, and all sorts of birds arrived home!

When I married, my father learnt of an avery to give away, and so we were able to install it in our backyard and fill it with a lot of Dad's birds, as he was finding it hard to feed them now he was retired.
And so I bred budgies, cockatiels mainly and added a wide variety that all live happily together.

A few years later we added another flight to the avery which doubled their flight space and give room for trees and a birdbath.

I have always kept rabbits and guineapigs on the floor of the avery, and at one time we had a bantam that laid us an egg every day.

When some of the budgies grew old and crippled with arthritis, we built a smaller avery to keep them in, as the other birds attacked anything that was sick. That way we kept them for years, even though they could no longer fly.

This in turn brought in extra birds to our garden. Wax-eyes, thrushes who nest every year, starlings, blackbirds, green-finches, sparrows and even fantails.

Our 2 dogs keep the neighbours cats out, so the birds are quite safe.

It is time to make the winter feed for them now the weather has turned cold.

Other things I enjoy is a great love of gardening, the great outdoors, mountain biking/hiking, travel - so I am really looking forward to Heaven! Looking at the stars through my telescope is another delight.

All these wonderful things passed down through the generations, and now my own children enjoy the same.

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/12/24 10:01 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!