HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,609
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 9
Daryl 4
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Daryl
Daryl
Nova Scotia, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, Daryl, dedication, ProdigalOne, 2 invisible), 3,125 guests, and 14 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Life lists #53333
01/05/02 08:34 PM
01/05/02 08:34 PM
Amelia  Offline
Portland,Oregon USA
the company my hubby works for has offices and plants over near Sydney and he has been there a few times. I have yet to get invited along Anyway he took pics of those fruit bats you have there. Although I think they are the cutest things, seeing them hanging by the droves like fat melons in the trees is rather ominus. They are far different from our small brown bats. To see them flying about just like birds.....well...it would be strange.

Re: Life lists #53334
01/05/02 08:44 PM
01/05/02 08:44 PM
Amelia  Offline
Portland,Oregon USA
quote:
Now, instead of grass, in some areas the Council are planting in native grasses, or groundcover roses.

Zita,

The day our city did anything remotely like this, it would have to be the end times. Our city never pays for anything in the neighbourhoods. We have these huge elm trees that are protected under law. As a homeowner, if you have an elm on your property you cant do anything to it without city permission and permits. Now, if the city comes along and says your elm needs this or that, you still have to pay for the permits and get it done; The city wont do it. But they will fine you if you dont have it done.

Re: Life lists #53335
01/06/02 04:58 AM
01/06/02 04:58 AM
Zita  Offline
Christchurch, New Zealand
Amelia, I know what you mean about Council rules. A law unto themselves.Trees have Heritage Orders slapped on them here too.
Because we live in the Garden City, Christchurch, New Zealand - the fruit bats don't fly this far the Council are always up to some new project to make the City attractive for tourists. It seems money (rate-payers) is unlimited, but it has made a big difference, and the birds certainly enjoy the extra choice of trees. At least they don't fave to compete with fruitbats!

Hope you make it on one of thse 'trips' one day - offer to carry his bag

Re: Life lists #53336
01/06/02 06:18 AM
01/06/02 06:18 AM
mikk  Offline
NSW, Australia
Right now I am competing with the birds! Or maybe its possums - but not fruit bats I think! I put some cherry tomato plants in a pot so I could keep up a goodly amount of water to them in this drought we are having. They were doing great - lots of small green tomatoes - BUT - nothing ever seemed to ripen. Finally I've realized that SOMETHING is eating everything that even starts to ripen and colour up. One of the plants had rather bigger tomatoes on it - must have cross polinated last season - and I took special notice of 2 very nice tomatoes - one went missing sometime Friday night - and by Sabbath lunch the other had gone. Then I discovered that the 3 first plums on my little new tree had also been taken. What has me puzzled is that there are no peck marks on anything - and no messy bits dropped near by - so SOMETHING has a mouth big enough to carry it all away. NOT FAIR!! We could at least share!

Re: Life lists #53337
01/06/02 10:34 AM
01/06/02 10:34 AM
zyph  Offline
Dedicated Member
Australia
Mikk, are you sure the culprits aren't carrying them off in their HANDS?? When I read your post, I was reminded of a time years ago at my parent's place. They had a few tomato plants that had spontaneously sprouted from some humus. They decided to care for them - and, hey, this was Sydney, too, or at least Berkshire Park - and they grew quite fond of their crop! Then, just as the fruit was pinking up, it began being attacked. They'd find half-tomatoes hanging on the plants. Dad blamed the chooks (chickens for the non-Oz speakers). So they picked a lot, and brought them inside to ripen.

THEN, my mother walked into the kitchen to see one of their tomcats gnawing on the bowl full of green tomatoes! He was the culprit, and ever after, they had to hide any tomatoes that were brought home. He loved them! lol Their cats were never allowed up on tables or such, so he was desperate enough to risk a scolding as well.

Re: Life lists #53338
01/06/02 06:07 PM
01/06/02 06:07 PM
mikk  Offline
NSW, Australia
Wow! But I don't think it's the cat. He's a Siamese and a VERY fussy eater! Now if the dog could get in there - which he can't! NOW!! - I'd definitely blame him. He has a taste for fruit and enjoys tomatoes as well. In fact ALL my dogs have raided my grape vines. It is funny to see the dog sniffing at the fruit, then very delicately taking a ripe grape with with his lips! I never realized how true that Bible verse was about the little foxes spoiling the grapes until I watched that.

Re: Life lists #53339
01/06/02 07:27 PM
01/06/02 07:27 PM
Amelia  Offline
Portland,Oregon USA
mikk,

Are you using a cage to hold up your toms? If so, get some bird netting and drape it over the cage and hold it down with laundry pegs. I do this and it keeps out all the vermin two handed and more.

zita,

Could you look in your directory for the surname Rawlinson. I had a great aunt Tassie Rawlinson that migrated to Christchurch from Barrow in Furnace England after WWII. She started a shop where she made wedding gowns and such. Im just curious if there were any more Rawlinsons abiding there. Ive been doing a family tree for ages and had not thought to check NZ.

Amelia

Re: Life lists #53340
01/07/02 07:01 AM
01/07/02 07:01 AM
Zita  Offline
Christchurch, New Zealand
Amelia, A quick look in the white pages revealed a firm called Rawlinson and Co. Ltd.
I rang and discovered that the only surviving Rawlinson in New Zealand - John, moved over to Adelaide, Australia. He can be contacted through that branch if you ring 882321099 and ask for Robert Toms.You will know the prefix your end for ringing Australia.
Hope this helps.

Re: Life lists #53341
01/07/02 07:54 AM
01/07/02 07:54 AM
mikk  Offline
NSW, Australia
Amelia thanks for the suggestion re netting fruit etc. However, I tried this a few years back with my blueberry bushes and all that happened was that the birds got themselves caught in the net - I had to be very alert to get to them and release them before the cat had an easy meal! The birds would scold me and peck at my hands - and it was a constant job! I just decided that it wasn't worth it. However, until this year the birds and I shared! This year with the drought there's not much fruiting in the bush so my garden has become a banquet table.
btw Zyph - I wonder if your new bird visitors might be fig birds - they sound a bit like it - lots of chattering and gurgling in the trees too - and they LOVE my fruit!

Re: Life lists #53342
01/08/02 11:09 AM
01/08/02 11:09 AM
zyph  Offline
Dedicated Member
Australia
Mikk, if fig birds have red patches around their eyes and faces, then they just might be. They're still around, so I expect them to go after the blossoms are finished. Do fig birds eat the flowers?
You know, I know how disappointing it can be to lose plants, but if an animal gets a feed, it's somehow okay, don't you think? In the cities, life can be very hard for them. As I was leaving work today, I startled a little butcher bird, who flew up onto the roof of nearby flats. Once I got into the car, I looked in my rear vision mirror, and saw that it had come back. Some weeks ago, a man had been transported to the hospital, and because he was nauseated, we'd given him a stainless steel bowl in case he threw up. He didn't, and whoever parked the work vehicle had put the bowl on the ground, but not taken it inside. We've all loked at it and left it there for a while. Today, the butcher bird landed on the edge, and was drinking rain water that had collected in the bowl. It was 100F, and there was hardly anywhere for it to get water, so I felt really glad that we'd been slack about tidying up. Tomorrow I might change the water and leave it there.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/30/24 10:34 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Daryl. 05/01/24 07:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 04/29/24 04:47 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!