HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,630
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 24
kland 13
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (Daryl, Karen Y, dedication, 2 invisible), 2,943 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Life lists #53353
03/10/02 08:01 AM
03/10/02 08:01 AM
Zita  Offline
Christchurch, New Zealand
I felt the call of the bush this morning, so my 2 dogs and I hopped in the car and travelled to Bowenvale. There are hiking trails and Mountain Bike trails. I prefer the Mountain Bike trails as they are more challenging.
I discovered a brand new one this morning right in the heart of the bush. It was exactly what I needed. I found a stump to sit on and enjoy a Bible reading, then continued on up the trail till I came out at the top. The bush was alive with bird calls.
I came back down the hiking trail and half way down a fantail started talking to me.It swooped around fliting it's tail and singing. Then it came right up to me, totaly unafraid, dancing around me. Followed me for some distance, delighting me with a wonderful conversation.
My heart was singing as I finished my hike, listening to the bellbirds calling, and others that I couldn't identify.
Sanity restorer.

Re: Life lists #53354
03/16/02 01:54 AM
03/16/02 01:54 AM
zyph  Offline
Dedicated Member
Australia
Amelia, what's a kinglet? And I've never seen a hummingbird, but I know they're tiny. How big are the ones you mentioned? Are they colourful? Are they nervous around people?

Re: Life lists #53355
03/16/02 07:14 PM
03/16/02 07:14 PM
Amelia  Offline
Portland,Oregon USA

Hummingbird on hand

Hummingbirds are not really nervous. They only look like it due to their flitty nature. They are quite feisty and bold little birds, and have a BIG voice when they are upset. They also easily take to humans.

Kinglet

Kinglets are another little bird, about the same size as the hummers, that are always on the move. Ive never seen one by itself. Usually they move in groups of 6 or more. Their voice is a small soft beep, simular to zebra finches.

In the last week the Flickers have started to mark out their territories. Banging away on anything that makes a good "noise". They prefer metal. So gutters, flashing, stove pipes all make great sounding boards. Then there is their "laugh" call. Sort of like...hahahahahaha. Starting slow then getting faster. That really wakes you up in the morning when its right outside your window.

Amelia

==============

I edited your post to place the picture directly into the post.

[ March 17, 2002: Message edited by: Daryl Fawcett ]

Re: Life lists #53356
03/17/02 04:03 AM
03/17/02 04:03 AM
D
Dora  Offline
Charter Member
Active Member 2013
Veteran Member
USA
I'd like to share a couple of things about the hummingbirds. After all the exotic bird pictures you have sent us, Zyph, I couldn't believe you had never seen a hummingbird, so, I was thrilled that I could share this with you, and all. (Was starting to post it last night when my "mouse" got fatally ill.)

We have ruby throated hummingbirds here, and they look like rubies and emeralds flashing in the light, with the green on their wings.

One warm day, I was standing looking out at the 4'O clocks, and trumpet vines, and I saw something moving on the ground, under the hummingbird feeder. Looking closer I could see it was a hummer, and one tiny foot was caught in some tough grass, just wrapped around it. What to do? It was already so frightened,and I was afraid it would struggle and maybe break it's leg. I thought of getting something to wrap it in, to hold it as securely and safely as possible while loosening the grass from it. I grabbed one of FT's socks from the drawer, walked as quietly as possible toward it, but it was even more frantic. I managed to gently hold it in one hand, and unwrap the grass with the other. It was fine! Then, it dawned on me, I am holding a hummingbird!!! I wanted to hold it a few minutes, it was so beautiful, but, I could feel it's little heart pounding a mile a minute, even through the sock, so I opened my hand, and it flew away. I just stood a few minutes in awe.

The other thing is kinda' funny. I had been told that hummingbirds didn't go by color, but by scent. I like to sit under the trees in the summer mornings to do my devotions. I saw this hummer flitting all around the swing set in our yard. (The colors are red, yellow and blue.) It was especially attracted to the red rings on the posts, and was going all around them, looking for something, it seemed. Now, I have light auburn hair, and the next thing I knew, it was doing the same thing all around the back of my head. It was so close, I could feel the air from it's wings, and once or twice, I felt it touch my hair. I sat as still as could be, hardly breathing. It sat there in the air, like a tiny helicopter, I was trying to see it from the corner of my eye. I think I moved, and with a dash it zoomed away.
They are certainly one of the most fascinating of God's wonderful creatures.

Re: Life lists #53357
03/17/02 04:42 AM
03/17/02 04:42 AM
zyph  Offline
Dedicated Member
Australia
Amelia, those pictures were wonderful. I've saved the hummingbird one to my computer. Sitting on a hand! How excruciatingly exciting! And the kinglet is so cute. But I think the hummingbird is such an exceptional bird, it's on my list of "must see before I die"!

NOW, you have to tell me what a flicker is! lol

Re: Life lists #53358
03/17/02 04:49 AM
03/17/02 04:49 AM
zyph  Offline
Dedicated Member
Australia
Dora, you must have very gentle hands, and I guess your years of sewing probably gave you the right "touch". I'm such a clumsy thing, I'd probably have squashed it! I once had zebra finches and budgies, and I was scared of handling their little limbs.

I'd wallow in ecstacy if I got to hold an old magpie, let alone a hummingbird! No wonder you wanted to savour the moment.

You never told me you had hummingbirds! Now I HAVE to visit you.

Re: Life lists #53359
03/17/02 05:02 AM
03/17/02 05:02 AM
D
Dora  Offline
Charter Member
Active Member 2013
Veteran Member
USA
Zyph, I never knew you had never seen one. they are so common in the South, we just expect them! In fact, that is one reason Gary wanted the 4'Oclocks, any flower with a tube or trumpet shape is their choice. Every summer there are red, pink and yellow 4'O clocks across the front of our house. I will have to save seed for you. Gary used to bring them home in his pockets when he was about 13, from Paul's fiancee's house. I cling to those flowers, to see each year they don't get mowed.

When to you plan to leave? the hummers will be here before too long. I haven't seen any yet, but, haven't started feeding either. come and go to campmeeting with me!! As Greg would say, "wouldn't that be a hoot?" we'd have a ball!!

Re: Life lists #53360
03/17/02 12:33 PM
03/17/02 12:33 PM
Daryl  Online Canadian

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
Budgie birds were mentioned here that reminded me of a true experience I had as a boy that I must share here.

We had a pet budgie bird that after being tamed was never confined to its cage as the cage door was always left open even at night after we all went to bed.

He liked to land on my shoulder as well as on my hand.

He also liked to do position one leg on my thumb the other one on my adjacent finger and do the twist on my hand by moving his tiny body left and right.

He liked to dive bomb me whenever he was in a playful mood almost no matter where he found me in the house.

He also would land on the table during mealtime and slurp up some of the tomato juice left on the plate after we finished eating a macaroni and tomato meal, of course.

He had the freedom of the whole house, therefore, one morning he had flown upstairs into my bedroom and landed on the top mirror part of the dresser. Pretending I was still asleep I peeked a look at him when he wasn't looking. As long as he thought I was still sleeping, he stayed there wiaiting for me to awaken from my sleep. He finally caught me peeking and immediately flew onto my bed and proceeded to walk up the blanket over me right up to and onto my face chirping excitedly.

We almost lost him one day as we sometimes accidently leave the porch door open. He flew outside, and after calling him, fortunately, he flew right back in again. I was glad I was there when it happened. We should have learned our lesson, however, one other fateful day, the door was left open again and he flew outside and even though we searched high and low calling out his name, that was the last we ever saw of our dear pet budgie bird.

We got another one, but it never was the same. Each bird has its own identity.

Re: Life lists #53361
03/17/02 06:27 PM
03/17/02 06:27 PM
Amelia  Offline
Portland,Oregon USA

Flicker

A flicker is a member of the woodpecker family. Bigger than a jay and a bit smaller than a crow. They eat bugs as a rule but will eat raisins and fruits from my feeder. They also love ants. When the ants swarm up out of their tunnels in the deep summer, you can often see a flicker standing over the hole, picking them off one by one.

Amelia

==========

Picture editing done again.

[ March 17, 2002: Message edited by: Daryl Fawcett ]

Re: Life lists #53362
03/17/02 08:57 PM
03/17/02 08:57 PM
Zita  Offline
Christchurch, New Zealand
Hello friends from down under!
I have been unable to access the net all weekend and it has been very frustrating to say the least.

Lovely to see all the interesting posts here, and I thank you all!

I love to learn about birds in other counteries.
I have never heard of a Flicker, and I think it is the most georgous bird to have visit your garden.

Thanks Amealia for the lovely photo.

My 3 new baby cockaties are doing fine.

I was cleaning out my compost bins infront of the avery yesterday, and the parents just carried on feeding them, it was a delight to watch.

A friend has offered me her canary to put in my avery, so that will be another welcome addition.

I took my canary from the cage in the conservatory 2 weeks ago and put it in the small avery where there is food containers and water low down.
It ws unable to fly having been in a cage for 4 years, so the first week was spent on the floor. The 2 other canaries got down with it, and spent their day time keeping it company.

I have a tree trunk wedged on an angle from floor to the halfway ledge that they can hop up, which in turn takes them to a tree. I notice he sits halfway up now and his mate Gabrielle in the tree.

I look forward to sweetie being able to fly again.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!