HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,619
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 21
kland 9
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Daryl
Daryl
Nova Scotia, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, Nadi, 2 invisible), 3,465 guests, and 16 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: What is SOP supposed to do for us ? #6605
02/15/01 11:36 PM
02/15/01 11:36 PM
Daryl  Offline

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
Hi Mike,

I am not certain what you mean, and what you are asking and looking for in an answer becomes hidden after a few posts, therefore, could you repeat it here?

Daryl

[This message has been edited by Daryl Fawcett (edited February 15, 2001).]

Re: What is SOP supposed to do for us ? #6606
02/16/01 12:06 AM
02/16/01 12:06 AM
Edward F Sutton  Offline OP
Charter Member
Most Dedicated Member
Zanesville, OH 43701
Hi Mike,

Sorry if we seem like ships passing in the night. How can I help you feel more at home ?

What style of forum interchange are you comfortable with and what have I missed and not responded to ? Sometimes I jump in so deep and involved that sometimes I forget some of the questions asked or was never on the same wavelength to begin with.

Please bring me up to speed.

------------------
Edward F Sutton

Re: What is SOP supposed to do for us ? #6607
02/16/01 04:50 AM
02/16/01 04:50 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Hi Daryl and Edward,

Thank you for speaking to me directly. I'm not a hopelessly fragile case, but it was beginning to feel like no matter what I posted nobody noticed. I guess I like to feel as though I'm not wasting my time sharing stuff no one else cares about, which is not easy to do when my posts elicit no response. Please don't feel like you're walking on egg shells around me hereafter. All I ask is that someone acknowledge the thoughts I share.

Here's what I wrote earlier:

quote:
The reason I ask this question is because in the Bible we find God updating or modifying the prophetic messages of various prophets - i.e., John's view of the battle of Gog and Magog versus Ezekiel's view. See Rev 20 and Eze 38 and 39. These and many other apparent contradictions do not disturb me in the least. I feel God has the right to adjust His prophecies to reflect changes in time and circumstances. I also believe this can and will apply to Ellen White. How will we react and respond if and when it happens?

And then I wrote after that:

quote:
I also am impressed you are willing to allow God to add to or take away from His prophetic utterances as time and circumstances change. It seems to me that the very conditional nature of prophecy makes this flexibility necessary from time to time.

But so far we have steered away from naming specific examples in which it can be said God has modified stuff Ellen has written due to the lapse of time that has passed since her departing almost 100 years ago.

Can I make some suggestions for discussion? Exploring specific examples might serve to help us better answer the question that is the title of this thread - What is the SOP supposed to do for us?

Any thoughts?

Mike

Re: What is SOP supposed to do for us ? #6608
02/16/01 12:28 PM
02/16/01 12:28 PM
Charter Member
Most Dedicated Member
Zanesville, OH 43701
This morning upon awakening I began to realize or re-realize the main function of SOP as given through EGW.

The realization in it's simplicity is this: take the commands and admonitions and warnings and rebukes and promises and texts/ passages of the Bible - The SOP through EGW was given with her as part of Heaven's designated support personel & SOP as Heaven's advanced tutorials on these Bible subjects. In order that we the non prophets could see and follow with Heaven's eyesight & eyesalve, what the Bible says.

As the needs change or the councels exhausted in their ability to help & lead because humanity has changed or circumstances have so changed to necessitate updated testimony from Jesus, then if and only if we have followed what has already been given do we get more. (Since humanity has not changed, there would have to rise circumstances that EGW style SOP did not prepare for. More on that later.)

Here's an example :
First Love - try matching SOP details from Bible alone with our dimmed modern eyesight.

What is First love & how do you get it and / or return to it & what do you do with it, what is it's purposes & goals given it by God ?

Someone with a lot of Biblical background & loyally following the Bible might be able to do a lot, but still not match SOP. People who need the detailed councels of SOP but do not have such a background could quickly superceed someone trying to go it on their own by their using SOP to unlock the treasures of the Bible. The SOP is where God speaks again from Heaven & puts new chapters into the sum of Heaven's inspired words being given to humanity. This time for the intensive training of the Remnant People, not the general human population . They are to get trained BY the Remnant People who have surrendered to God and become His restored human support system through which to reach others.

Did God prepare councels sufficent to guide the Remnant through to the Second Coming using the Bible & EGW conduit of SOP ?

Do folks realize that a signifigant portion of the SOP is still unpublished with few outside of the White Estate having ascess at all ? I got a small taste when I used to have the data base "Whitespeed", this small data base also contained "the Adventist Apocylapse" which is all from unpublished SOP. EGW saw clear to the Second Coming & revealed details few SDA's ever got to see, much less take advantage of by following the councels given to prepare for service under those conditions.

Bye for now.

This is an introduction to my responce & I will post this & move into my wordprocessor & finish it.

------------------
Edward F Sutton

Re: What is SOP supposed to do for us ? #6609
02/16/01 02:19 PM
02/16/01 02:19 PM
C
Catherine  Offline
Charter Member
Veteran Member
Michigan, USA
The specific circumstances of our modern life may be very different than they were in Sister White's day, but the principles behind her counsels do not change. For example, television did not exist back then, however, all that Sister White wrote about novels and theater can be easily seen to apply to television.

If one is to read carefully what Sr. White said about bicycles, which were an expensive status symbol back then, one can see that the situation is different now, and while the specific counsel not to buy bicycles may no longer be applicable, yet the principle still applies to whatever material things now stand in the same position in our society that bicycles occupied back then.

With regards to the idea of God modifying what Ellen White wrote, how can anyone who does not have the prophetic gift themselves be so presumptuous as to claim that the words given under inspiration have been changed? As far as I am concerned, that is the same as those who claim that some parts of the Bible are inspired and others are not, and take it upon themselves to distinguish between them in their own human wisdom. They are walking in a very dangerous path.

Science is constantly making new discoveries, and constantly refuting older ones. Whenever some new scientific information comes out that seems to contradict what God Himself told us through Sr. White, I feel quite confident in ignoring the scientists and following the light given by God himself, knowing that in time, scientists will likely find that they were wrong, and eventually God's counsel will once again be proven to be true.

------------------
The Lord is the strength of my life and my portion forever.

Re: What is SOP supposed to do for us ? #6610
02/16/01 11:00 PM
02/16/01 11:00 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Ah, thank you Edward and Cathy for those refreshing thoughts. I really like the point made that using EGW brings us up to speed faster than we could studying the Bible by ourselves. And the idea that the principles in EGW are as timeless as God Himself.

Cathy, you said it would be dangerous if an uninspired person came along and attempted to change or modify what Ellen wrote. But how would you know if they were inspired? Wouldn't you be tempted to automatically reject their inspiration if they did modify what she wrote?

Edward gave some good examples of things Ellen predicted that did not happen:

quote:
Another prophecy was about being "food for worms" which did not happen. The angel gave this to EGW. This prophecy was very much conditional.

"I was shown the company present at the Conference. Said the angel: "Some food for worms, some subjects of the seven last plagues, some will be alive and remain upon the earth to be translated at the coming of Jesus."--1T 131, 132 (1856). {LDE 36.3}

The reason it did not happen ????

"The natural heart is not to bring its own tainted, corrupting principles into the work of God. There must be no concealing of the principles of our faith. The third angel's message is to be sounded by God's people. It is to swell to the loud cry. The Lord has a
time appointed when He will bind off the work; but when is that time? When the truth proclaimed for these last days shall go forth as a witness to all nations, then shall the end come. If the power of Satan can come into the very temple of God and manipulate things as he pleases, the time of preparation will be prolonged.--Lt 83, 1896. {PM 389.5}

How was Ellen to know the angels' prophecy would not happen exactly as he predicted? It was, of course, modified later on to reflect the change in time and circumstances.

Another example goes back to Jeremiah's time prophecy concerning the 70 years Israel would spend in babylonian captivity. See Jer 25:11,12. God promised to restore the Jews to Jerusalem and make of them a great nation after the 70 years were fulfilled (606-536). See Jer 29:10 and Eze 36-39.

However, God did something very interesting not more than a few years into the Jewish captivity. He modified His restoration promises and prophecies. We can read those modifications in Dan 2 and 7-12. But would anybody back then want to believe Daniel's prophecies?

Even Daniel had a hard time understanding them because he was expecting God to fulfill his restoration promises made through Isaiah, Jeremiah and Ezekiel. That's probably one of the reasons God sealed the prophecies of Daniel until the time of the end.

My point in sharing these examples is to ask - Are we prepared for God to modify our prophetic picture of the future? We Adventist's are very sure things will go down exactly the way Ellen has described it. But what if the USA should repent and refuse to form an image to the beast? Then what? Does that mean Ellen was a false prophet? Or could we end up reapplying those prophecies in Rev 13?

I'm not suggesting this will ever happen. And I'm not claiming to be a prophet. But what if another 300 years, or whatever, should pass and totally new super powers replace the ones in power now? Then what? Do our prophetic principles allow for new applications? Or are we so sure of our interpretations that we will never change our prophetic picture? And if not, then whose to say we won't get confused like the Jews did and miss the boat?

Do you understand my comments and questions? The issues I'm raising has a direct bearing upon the question - What is the SOP supposed to do for us now and in the future? Are we ready if God should choose to modify His prophecies again?

Mike

Re: What is SOP supposed to do for us ? #6611
02/17/01 07:22 AM
02/17/01 07:22 AM
Charter Member
Most Dedicated Member
Zanesville, OH 43701
(Mike - I am putting your name here so you won't feel left out.)

What is the difference between Prophetic conditions and modifications ?

Isaiah 55:11 So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it.

God has purposes for what He has prophecied, which can not be prevented. Some times these prophecies are allowed to have conditional choices and conditional fulfillments resulting from those choices . People are allowed to choose which way to go in reference to what God has said. But making that choice results in absolute consequences, which are only alterable through the Intercession, Mediation, and merits of Christ; if those choices involve sinning against God . It's like driving on an Interstate Highway, you are allowed to exit onto any exit you choose, but the particular exit ramp (or condition caused by your choice) does not change or modify because you have driven onto it and follow it to it's destination even though it was not the final destination's route shown on the National Map (Bible) and clarified on the local city map (SOP) .

The prophecy was not modified but allowed conditions to it's fulfillment as it was delivered to the people. Instead of following God's expressed will they chose their version of some form of compromise . Thus if possible they entered into the various conditional agreements that required God using either someone else to obey His expressed will to fulfil as He had spoken, or He begins the process of bringing them back into harmony with His expressed will and using them to fulfill things as He has said. If they could not be worked with they were separated from His using them, and He could read their hearts and their futures to see how long He could keep on holding them, before they caused their being cut off.

Consider David's various times of life before his apostasy , during it, and the results afterwards. David could no longer do what he could have done, but who fulfilled this prophecy (verses 34 - 37)? David's offspring - Jesus.

(Verses 38 - 45) David fulfilled that by his sins.

Psalms 89:
34 My covenant will I not break, nor alter the thing that is gone out of my lips.
35 Once have I sworn by my holiness that I will not lie unto David.
36 His seed shall endure for ever, and his throne as the sun before me.
37 It shall be established for ever as the moon, and as a faithful witness in heaven. Selah.
38 ¶ But thou hast cast off and abhorred, thou hast been wroth with thine anointed.
39 Thou hast made void the covenant of thy servant: thou hast profaned his crown by casting it to the ground.
40 Thou hast broken down all his hedges; thou hast brought his strong holds to ruin.
41 All that pass by the way spoil him: he is a reproach to his neighbours.
42 Thou hast set up the right hand of his adversaries; thou hast made all his enemies to rejoice.
43 Thou hast also turned the edge of his sword, and hast not made him to stand in the battle.
44 Thou hast made his glory to cease, and cast his throne down to the ground.
45 The days of his youth hast thou shortened: thou hast covered him with shame. Selah.

Malachi 3:6 For I am the LORD, I change not; therefore ye sons of Jacob are not consumed.
(Notice He did not say the son's of Israel {overcomer}, but Jacob {liar supplanter deceiver}

Who God is, what He does and says are based upon His continual truthfulness and eternal nature of His Deity, He sees all things in every detail and understands them, therefore He does not need to modify something after the fact . The evidence that sinful humanity, inspired by all the wiles of the Devil and his angels for all human history can not cause Him to alter his plans, prophecies, or methods is because He personally does not change and the fulfillment of all His inspired words are based upon His ability to fulfil them. When prophecy is given, it is a form of an agreement or contract or covenant delivered to people giving them opportunity to enter into it or stand apart from it. When conditions are given to the prophecy or within the prophecy, the requirements and effects of those conditions are absolute, even though tests were included within this prophecy. The passing or failing of those tests or conditions determined whether the people would receive this covenant within this prophecy and then God would fulfil it, or they would reject the terms of the covenant within the prophecy and God would reject fulfilling it to or through them. No evidence is yet found that God modifies prophecy, just the opposite. God adds conditions and implied covenants into prophecy thus keeping the nature of the prophecy absolute, even though the obedience of the people was relative (here today and gone tomorrow) .

Matthew 6:10 Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven.

Jesus always did only the Father's will . He was never a loose cannon. His fidelity becomes the ratification and surety or assurance of the absolute nature of prophecy, and His wisdom sees the need of placing conditions when necessary within prophecy and enforcing the outcomes of the choices taken, and interceding and mediating to fulfill the over riding prophecy made to Him by His Father if people will enter into that covenant.

That prophecy being -
"Isaiah 53:
1 ¶ Who hath believed our report? and to whom is the arm of the LORD revealed?
2 For he shall grow up before him as a tender plant, and as a root out of a dry ground: he hath no form nor comeliness; and when we shall see him, there is no beauty that we should desire him.
3 He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief: and we hid as it were our faces from him; he was despised, and we esteemed him not.
4 ¶ Surely he hath borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows: yet we did esteem him stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted.
5 But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed.
6 All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and the LORD hath laid on him the iniquity of us all.
7 He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he opened not his mouth: he is brought as a lamb to the slaughter, and as a sheep before her shearers is dumb, so he openeth not his mouth.
8 He was taken from prison and from judgment: and who shall declare his generation? for he was cut off out of the land of the living: for the transgression of my people was he stricken.
9 And he made his grave with the wicked, and with the rich in his death; because he had done no violence, neither was any deceit in his mouth.
10 ¶ Yet it pleased the LORD to bruise him; he hath put him to grief: when thou shalt make his soul an offering for sin, he shall see his seed, he shall prolong his days, and the pleasure of the LORD shall prosper in his hand.
11 He shall see of the travail of his soul, and shall be satisfied: by his knowledge shall my righteous servant justify many; for he shall bear their iniquities.
12 Therefore will I divide him a portion with the great, and he shall divide the spoil with the strong; because he hath poured out his soul unto death: and he was numbered with the transgressors; and he bare the sin of many, and made intercession for the transgressors.

Romans 3:
25 Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God;
26 To declare, I say, at this time his righteousness: that he might be just, and the justifier of him which believeth in Jesus.

John 10:17 Therefore doth my Father love me, because I lay down my life, that I might take it again.

Hebrews 12:2 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

Luke 11:2 And he said unto them, When ye pray, say, Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done, as in heaven, so in earth.

Matthew 26:42 He went away again the second time, and prayed, saying, O my Father, if this cup may not pass away from me, except I drink it, thy will be done.

"If the church will put on the robe of Christ's righteousness, withdrawing from all allegiance with the world, there is before her the dawn of a bright and glorious day. God's promise to her will stand fast forever. He will make her an eternal excellency, a joy of many generations. Truth, passing by those who despise and reject it, will triumph. Although at times apparently retarded, its progress has never been checked. When the message of God meets with opposition, He gives it additional force, that it may exert greater influence. Endowed with divine energy, it will cut its way through the strongest barriers and triumph over every obstacle. {AA 601.1}

What sustained the Son of God during His life of toil and sacrifice? He saw the results of the travail of His soul and was satisfied. Looking into eternity, He beheld the happiness of those who through His humiliation had received pardon and everlasting life. His ear caught the shout of the redeemed. He heard the ransomed ones singing the song of Moses and the Lamb. {AA 601.2}

We may have a vision of the future, the blessedness of heaven. In the Bible are revealed visions of the future glory, scenes pictured by the hand of God, and these are dear to His church. By faith we may stand on the threshold of the eternal city, and hear the gracious welcome given to those who in this life co-operate with Christ, regarding it as an honor to suffer for His sake. As the words are spoken, "Come, ye blessed of My Father," they cast their crowns at the feet of the Redeemer, exclaiming, "Worthy is the Lamb that was slain to receive power, and riches, and wisdom, and strength, and honor, and glory, and blessing.

. . . Honor, and glory, and power, be unto Him that sitteth upon the throne, and unto the Lamb for ever and ever." Matthew 25:34; Revelation 5:12, 13. {AA 601.3}

The Father promised Jesus - victory & victorious children through Him to be with Him forever. That is the over riding goal of all prophecy and that is why conditions are put into prophecy, so sinful humanity can still be worked with , through being brought into harmony with revealed prophecy and not cut off ; if they can be reached and brought to conform to God's will and be covered by the merits of Jesus .

There is a difference in modifying prophecy after the fact and adding conditions before hand. Perhaps the word modify was a poor choice for it suggests that prophecy and it's truths are relative instead of absolute and built with conditions of reception and fulfilment the effects of which are also absolute.

God has an absolute thing in reserve also, and it places a limit upon human time on Earth, before the Second Coming. Conditions were placed into the prophecies of the Second Coming and SDA's of past generations have activated the conditions that created delay. However stopping the Second Coming is impossible and world conditions suggest the delay phase is running out and global ability to support human life is receeding faster and faster testifing to the receeding of the personal presence of the Holy Ghost from our world. These things in similar but not exactly the same fashion happened just before the flood in Noah's day.

Luke 17:26 And as it was in the days of Noe, so shall it be also in the days of the Son of man.

Acts 17:
30 And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men every where to repent:
31 Because he hath appointed a day, in the which he will judge the world in righteousness by that man whom he hath ordained; whereof he hath given assurance unto all men, in that he hath raised him from the dead.

We are running out of time to keep on doing our own things while ignouring God's things, is what the evidence is saying.

------------------
Edward F Sutton

[This message has been edited by Edward F Sutton (edited February 17, 2001).]

Re: What is SOP supposed to do for us ? #6612
02/17/01 07:20 PM
02/17/01 07:20 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Edward,

Thanx for responding to the points I shared. I very much agree with the point you made about the inherent conditionality of prophecy. Whether explicit or implied it seems to me that all prophecy is instinctively conditional. Although conditional it also seems to be true that they are nevertheless inevitable.

There also seems to be at least a couple underlying aspects of prophecy that is true across the board. And that is there seems to be principles built into any given prophecy that do not change or get modified regardless of the changing times and circumstances due to certain conditions that were not met or whatever. The common adage - History repeats itself - probably explains this aspect of prophecy.

However, there is another aspect of prophecy that seems to be time dated, that is, locked into a specific time and place. And that would be the particular details of the original or primary intent of the prophecy. Those details do not have the power to be fulfilled exactly the way they were first given, if the original circumstances are passed over for whatever reason, simply because they pertained to a specific time and people.

You wrote:

quote:
No evidence is yet found that God modifies prophecy, just the opposite. God adds conditions and implied covenants into prophecy thus keeping the nature of the prophecy absolute, even though the obedience of the people was relative (here today and gone tomorrow).

quote:
There is a difference in modifying prophecy after the fact and adding conditions before hand. Perhaps the word modify was a poor choice for it suggests that prophecy and it's truths are relative instead of absolute and built with conditions of reception and fulfilment the effects of which are also absolute.

I agree that the underlying principle of a prophecy is unchanging, and will eventually be fulifilled in principle regardless of how many generations forfeit the fulfillment because they failed to meet the built in and sometimes unstated conditions.

But the same isn't always true of the specific details and particulars of the original prophecy. Several examples have already been shared in previous posts. Most noteable is the prophecy of the battle of Gog and Magog. See Eze 38 & 39. Wouldn't you agree that the details of this prophecy will never be fulfilled exactly the way they were pictured in Ezekiel? (please reply).

It is in this sense that I suggest God modifies prophecy to accommodate changes in time and circumstances. The overall story line or principle of the prophecy remains unchanged, however, changes in time and circumstances requires certain modifications to reflect the new situation.

Another good example involves the entire dynamics of the Restoration Promises and Prophecies. All those prophecies recorded in Isaiah, Jeremiah, Ezekiel and several other places will never be fulfilled exactly the way they are described in the Old Testament. Massive modifications regarding the specific details have been ordained by God due to the fact the nation of Israel failed to fulfill the conditions of fulfillment.

Just read some of the descriptions of the new earth as originally envisioned for post-babylonian Israel in the Old Testament. Take the last three verses of the book of Isaiah. Every sabbath the Jews would have enjoyed a nice walk in the country looking upon the dead bodies of their fallen enemies.

In the New Testament those prophecies have been seriously worked over by God. And to be honest, I'm not going to miss those things that have been edited and modified. Can you blame me? Although the OT prophecies will be fulfilled in principle, it is obvious they will not be fulfilled in every particular.

So, what is the SOP of prophecy supposed to do for us now and later? Well, I think we can all agree that the Spirit - the Holy Spirit - of prophecy reserves the right to modify prophecy to reflect changes in time and circumstances if and when people and places fail to met the conditions of fulfillment.

This is not to imply that God was taken by surprise when the conditions were not met. Not at all. God knows the end from the beginning. So then another good question to ask at this point is - Why did God prophesy one thing when He knew good and well it would turn out different in the final analysis?

Well, would it have turned out that way in the end if He hadn't prophesied it that way in the beginning? Look at the story of Jonah for example. Would the Ninevites have repented in sackcloth and ashes if God hadn't sent Jonah with a message of impending doom? Apparently nothing else was working. Does this imply God issued an idle threat or a kind of white lie? Not at all. Because although the particulars concerning time (the 40 days of probation) were not fulfilled the principle of the prophecy was fulfilled some 200 years later when the Medes and Babylonians ransacked Nineveh. See Nahum and Zephaniah.

Anyhow, I would appreciate a direct response to the thoughts I shared here.

Mike

Re: What is SOP supposed to do for us ? #6613
02/17/01 07:24 PM
02/17/01 07:24 PM
M
mouse  Offline
Dedicated Member
USA
Hi all,

Going back to one of Ed's original questions, What is the SOP supposed to do for us in the present?

In my own personal study using the CD, I've found that when reading the results of any of my searches, within 5 or 6 hits, I'm being convicted on something.

This gives me great hope and comfort, as I realize that her writings are still God's voice to us today and He gave them to us for this very reason... to show and convict us of what we need to surrender to Him that is keeping us from reflecting His image perfectly.

To me, this is what I term the Judgment of the Living... being convicted, converted and cleansed of sin. She calls it a "painful detachment and painful re-attachment"... and it is that for sure.

But, oh the JOY and GLADNESS that comes as a result of my total surrender of each part of the world in my life as I am shown it thru her writings.

She is one person who will be getting a BIG hug from me when I see her in person

------------------
joy b2u,
karen

Re: What is SOP supposed to do for us ? #6614
02/17/01 11:05 PM
02/17/01 11:05 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hello Mike

Never mind the "eggshells" you mentioned a few posts ago...I have a question for you!

In the first post you made in this thread, you mentioned "apparent contradictions" in the Bible.

You later mentioned the 70 years prophecy, in two places, then how Dan 7, 8, 9 "modified" this 70 year prophecy.

Can you be more specific, in explaining what you mean by "apparent contradictions," and "modified?"

I can be a little dense when there is a lot of info coming at me, and as I read all the info developing on this thread, I may have missed the point.

I really like what sister karen posted above...the SOP, atleast for me, has been instrumental in "convicting" me on various points of Scripture.

In my mind, there are no contradictions in Scripture, or in SOP. Paradoxes, yes. Questions, yes. Disagreements...yes. But contradictions? Usually, when Prov.4:18 starts happening, and new light arrives, it simply adds to, or expands upon a previous point of belief. Notice, I said "belief," and not "Truth."

Not all points of belief, are necessarily Truth, until we are confronted by the Holy Spirit, and the Word of God, and convicted of the mind of God in the matter in question.

The Word of God "discerns" the thoughts and intents of the heart," (Heb.4:12), and the SOP can be instrumental in revealing some of these thoughts and intents.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderator  dedication 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/30/24 10:34 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:07 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!