HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,600
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 14
kland 9
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
Kevin H
Kevin H
New York
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, ProdigalOne, Kevin H, Daryl, 1 invisible), 3,165 guests, and 20 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Evidence Of The Bible Regarding Accuracy & Infallibility #69686
05/31/03 03:45 AM
05/31/03 03:45 AM
Darius  Offline
Dedicated Member
Muncie, IN
quote:
Originally posted by DavidTBattler:
Darius

You have stated several things about God's Word, that seem geared to disproving it; and yet, you have made some statements about God, that seem "authoritative." May I ask where you get your authority from? How do you personally decide what to believe about God? What source/s do you use to reach your conclusions?

It should tell you something that when I write I continue to express my faith in the authority of the Bible, yet your kneejerk reaction is to see a seeming attempt to disprove it. Why is that? Could it be that you have raised the Bible to the level of deity? The Bible is not a God. It is an instrument.

Re: Evidence Of The Bible Regarding Accuracy & Infallibility #69687
05/30/03 09:47 PM
05/30/03 09:47 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Darius, good point. I did a WOP for a SDA academy last year and I held up a Bible and asked, If Jesus was standing next to me in person right now which one would you say is Jesus - the Bible or Jesus Himself? Fortunately the majority answered Jesus, but there was a minority who insisted both are Jesus. It really disturbed them that a pastor would suggest the Bible isn't Jesus itself (himself).

Here's an interesting thought to ponder - The Bible teaches that the former things of sin will not enter our minds in the New Earth. This suggests that the Bible will undergo some serious editing so that the Bible as we now know it will cease to exist. I wonder if the inspired discrepancies will be corrected???

Re: Evidence Of The Bible Regarding Accuracy & Infallibility #69688
05/31/03 01:41 AM
05/31/03 01:41 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered

"yet your kneejerk reaction is to see a seeming attempt to disprove it"

Darius [Thank You]

This is a legitimate concern; yet, I wonder how you see such motive out of a one time, and short post from someone you never met?

I have no way of knowing if you are personally trying to disprove the Bible; and I have no desire to find out, one way or the other. [Smile] I hope we can bear with one another here, and remember that what is written here would be different, if we were in person. I do not see where you have yet come right out and told us where you get your authority from, in determining, and proclaiming who God is; and what he is about. While you did say a generalized statement regarding how your posts were "supportive" of the Bible; you have not really answered that question directly.

Now that you have brought it up tho, some of your statements here do seem as tho they are casting doubt on the inspiration/and/or authority of Scripture. And, you are right, some of your statements do the opposite.

I am stating my opinions only on what you write & how it is written; and not on your motives here.

I am willing to take your word that you are not trying to discredit the Bible, and my statements here have been to say what I think, when I see someone trying to cast doubt on the Bible, as this seems to be the topic of discussion here.

There have been many "studies" and "debates" regarding whether Jesus is actually the Word; and I personally see such discussions as unnecessary to Christianity. If one really knew the Bible, I am not sure why such a question would even occur.

If someone expresses trust in the Bible; and a resulting faith in Jesus Christ;I see it as a very narrow view, to say that such a person is "deifying" the Bible. [Heart]

The way we learn to know God from the Bible differs from all other methods of acquiring knowledge. We cannot place ourselves above God and treat Him as an object to be analyzed and quantified. In our search for a knowledge of God we must submit to the authority of His self-revelation--the Bible. Since the Bible is its own
interpreter, we must subject ourselves to the principles and methods it provides. Without these Biblical guidelines we cannot know God.

Why did so many of the people of Jesus' day fail to see God's self-revelation in Jesus? Because they refused to subject themselves to the guidance of the Holy Spirit through the Scriptures, they misinterpreted God's message and crucified their Saviour.

Their problem was not one of intellect. It was their closed hearts that darkened their minds, resulting in eternal loss.

[ May 31, 2003, 05:02 AM: Message edited by: DavidTBattler ]

Re: Evidence Of The Bible Regarding Accuracy & Infallibility #69689
06/07/03 01:28 PM
06/07/03 01:28 PM
D
djconklin  Offline
S. St. Paul, MN
quote:
Originally posted by Darius:
quote:
Originally posted by DavidTBattler:
One of the fundamental errors by those who refute the Bible is that they usually resort to intellectual, and polemical arguments; and the Bible is not even written from a purely intellectual point of view.

One of the fundamentaly errors made by many is to set up strawmen then knock them down. Will you please identify the individual or individuals here who are refuting the Bible? Further, I am disappointed that you think such a selective sample means anything. Have you heard of those who read the Bible and led many to premature deaths? The Bible is useful because of God, not the other way around.
There are literally dozens of forums on which one can find Bible critics. I spent a couple of years on one at AOL. On another forum when the critic started to lose the argument (which was fairly quickly) he resorted to swearing as tactic.

It was from being on those forums that I learned (for the first time!) that the Bible teaches that unicorns exist, that PI=3, and that turtles have a voice.

Re: Evidence Of The Bible Regarding Accuracy & Infallibility #69690
06/07/03 02:37 PM
06/07/03 02:37 PM
S
StanMcCluskey  Offline
Naches, WA
quote:
"Man is fallible, but God's word is infallible." EGW in RH 12-15-1885.
As a people, we have always followed the basic guideline of comparing scripture with scripture, in the same way NT writers have done in their references to the OT.

Why? Because our INfallible God spoke to fallible people through fallible men who used their own words to express the thoughts and visions given to them by God.

It is the Bible in its entirety that is infallible.
quote:
"For precept must be upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little." Isaiah 28:10.
This is not to belittle specific verses. Jesus obviously thought highly of specific OT statements, when He said such things as,
quote:
"but that the scripture may be fulfilled" and "the scripture cannot be broken." John 13:18; 6:35.
It's usually man's wrong interpretations of scripture that causes problems:
quote:
"We have many lessons to learn, and many, many to unlearn. God and heaven alone are infallible. Those who think that they will never have to give up a cherished view, never have occasion to change an opinion, will be disappointed." EGW in RH 7-26-1892.

Re: Evidence Of The Bible Regarding Accuracy & Infallibility #69691
06/08/03 03:34 AM
06/08/03 03:34 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Inspired fallible people wrote the Bible and spoke the words of God. There is a huge difference between fallible people and inspired fallible people. They were not confused or uncertain when they recorded the inspired thoughts of God. The Scriptures accurately reflect the salvation truth as it is in Jesus.

Mark
13:11 But when they shall lead [you], and deliver you up, take no thought beforehand what ye shall speak, neither do ye premeditate: but whatsoever shall be given you in that hour, that speak ye: for it is not ye that speak, but the Holy Ghost.

1 Corinthians
14:37 If any man think himself to be a prophet, or spiritual, let him acknowledge that the things that I write unto you are the commandments of the Lord.

Galatians
1:9 As we said before, so say I now again, If any [man] preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed.

2 Peter
1:16 For we have not followed cunningly devised fables, when we made known unto you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, but were eyewitnesses of his majesty.

Revelation
22:18 For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book:
22:19 And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and [from] the things which are written in this book.

Re: Evidence Of The Bible Regarding Accuracy & Infallibility #69692
06/08/03 04:30 AM
06/08/03 04:30 AM
S
StanMcCluskey  Offline
Naches, WA
Mike,

I find it necessary to "compare scripture with scripture" in order to find meaning in the following verses written nearly 2,000 years ago:
quote:
1 John 2
18 Little children, IT IS THE LAST TIME: and as ye have heard that antichrist shall come, even now are there many antichrists; whereby WE KNOW THAT IT IS THE LAST TIME.

Hebrews 1
2 Hath IN THESE LAST DAYS spoken unto us by his Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds.

1 Peter 1
20 Who verily was foreordained before the foundation of the world, but was manifest IN THESE LAST TIMES for you.

Re: Evidence Of The Bible Regarding Accuracy & Infallibility #69693
06/08/03 04:05 PM
06/08/03 04:05 PM
S
StanMcCluskey  Offline
Naches, WA
Christ called John the Baptist a great prophet; but look at what John said to those who came to hear his message:
quote:
Luke 3:15-17 niv
The people were waiting expectantly and were all wondering in their hearts if John might possibly be the Christ.
John answered them all, "I baptize you with water. But one more powerful than I will come, the thongs of whose sandals I am not worthy to untie. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and with fire.
His winnowing fork is in his hand to clear his threshing floor and to gather the wheat into his barn, but he will burn up the chaff with unquenchable fire."

But John "DID NOT UNDERSTAND the nature of Christ's kingdom. HE EXPECTED Jesus to take the throne of David," so "HE HAD DECLARED to the people" WRONG INFORMATION:
quote:
Like the Saviour's disciples, John the Baptist DID NOT UNDERSTAND the nature of Christ's kingdom. HE EXPECTED Jesus to take the throne of David; and as time passed, and the Saviour made no claim to kingly authority, John became perplexed and troubled. HE HAD DECLARED to the people that IN ORDER FOR THE WAY TO BE PREPARED before the Lord, THE PROPHECY OF ISAIAH MUST BE FULFILLED (repeat: "MUST BE FULFILLED"); THE MOUNTAINS AND HILLS MUST BE BROUGHT LOW, THE CROOKED MADE STRAIGHT, AND THE ROUGH PLACES PLAIN. HE HAD LOOKED FOR THE HIGH PLACES OF HUMAN PRIDE AND POWER TO BE CAST DOWN. HE HAD POINTED TO THE MESSIAH AS THE ONE WHOSE FAN WAS IN HIS HAND, AND WHO WOULD THOROUGHLY PURGE HIS FLOOR, who would gather the wheat into His garner, AND BURN UP THE CHAFF WITH UNQUENCHABLE FIRE. Like the prophet Elijah, in whose spirit and power he had come to Israel, HE LOOKED FOR THE LORD TO REVEAL HIMSELF AS A GOD THAT ANSWERETH BY FIRE.
Ellen G. White in Desire of Ages, p. 215.

Note that this fallible prophet was inspired by our INfallible God. Yet he "DID NOT UNDERSTAND," so WHAT "HE EXPECTED" WAS IN ERROR and (this is important) THE INFORMATION HE "HAD DECLARED to the people" WAS IN ERROR.

And that is precisely why we must look at the Bible IN ITS ENTIRETY when we say that it is THE INFALLIBLE WORD OF GOD. This is why the instruction in Isaiah 28:10 is so important for us as we seek to understand God's Word:
quote:
For precept must be upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little. Isaiah 28:10.
What John the Baptist expected at Christ's FIRST coming will be fulfilled in our day:
quote:
The days of purification of the church are hastening on space. God will have a people pure and true. In the mighty sifting soon to take place, we shall be better able to measure the strength of Israel. The signs reveal that the time is near when the Lord will manifest that his fan is in his hand, and that he soon will thoroughly purge his floor.
EGW in RH 1-11-1887.

Compare with Christ's own helpful explanation in Matthew 13:36-43.

Re: Evidence Of The Bible Regarding Accuracy & Infallibility #69694
06/14/03 05:59 PM
06/14/03 05:59 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Stan, the Bible accurately records the message John proclaimed. There was no error in recording the wrong message John preached. The same can be said of the Millerite Movement as recorded in Rev 10.

But I agree with you that the Bible contains inspired discrepancies. God could have prevented them, but He did not. The discrepancies concern certain insignificant details and do not in any way effect the salvation truth as it is in Jesus. On this I'm sure we agree. Thank you Jesus.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/28/24 11:09 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 04/28/24 09:29 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!