HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,600
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 14
kland 9
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, ProdigalOne, Kevin H, Daryl, 1 invisible), 3,116 guests, and 20 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 8 of 12 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
Re: The Arsenals of God's Wrath - An Inspired Account #7153
11/03/05 06:21 PM
11/03/05 06:21 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
MM, If what you assert were true, it would mean my argument is invalid, either because the premises are not true, or the conclusion does not follow from the assertion. Which is it?

Re: The Arsenals of God's Wrath - An Inspired Account #7154
11/05/05 01:06 AM
11/05/05 01:06 AM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Invalid.

Re: The Arsenals of God's Wrath - An Inspired Account #7155
11/05/05 05:29 AM
11/05/05 05:29 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Here's the question:

quote:
MM, If what you assert were true, it would mean my argument is invalid, either because the premises are not true, or the conclusion does not follow from the assertion. Which is it?
Do you see why "invalid" does not answer the question?

Would you care to answer the question? I've been trying to ask it for over a week now! That's right, nine days! This is the tenth time I'm asking it. But I'll keep trying until either you answer it, or refuse.

Patiently waiting,

Tom

Re: The Arsenals of God's Wrath - An Inspired Account #7156
11/06/05 02:52 AM
11/06/05 02:52 AM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
quote:
... it would mean my argument is invalid ...
I agree. But, refer to my 9 previous posts (give or take), to read about my qualified answer.

Re: The Arsenals of God's Wrath - An Inspired Account #7157
11/06/05 03:49 AM
11/06/05 03:49 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
This is still not an answer. Here's the question:

The two statements I have been using as premises are:

a)Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today and forever.
b)All that we can know of God was revealed in the life and character of His Son (on earth).

The conclusion is:

c)Jesus Christ did not in principle any differently during His life on earth than during any other time of His existence, whether past, present or future.

If this argument is not valid, it is either because the premises are false, or the conclusion does not follow from the premises.

Here are a couple of acceptable answers:

i)The argument is invalid, because the premises are false.
ii)The argument is invalid because the conclusion does not follow from the premises.

Since you have already asserted the argument is invalid, it must be so for one of these two reasons. If you say it is ii), it would be nice if you provided some justification for why you think this is the case. If you answer i), there is no need for further clarification.

-----------------------------------------------

Here's the problem in more detail. Inspiration tells us that ALL we can know of God was revealed in the life and character of Jesus Christ in his humanity. Yet you, MM, contrary to inspiration, are suggesting that no, not everything we can know about God was revealed in Christ's life while on earth because while here on earth He didn't do anything remotely like the flood.

So you are asserting something contrary to inspiration. Why?

It seems clear to me your assertion cannot be true, because it contradicts the clear statement that ALL we can know about God was revealed by Jesus Christ during His life here on earth.

Another possibility is that you are in error regarding your assertion, and Jesus Christ did act, in principle, in ways during His life on earth which was in complete harmony with how He acted during the flood.

So we have two possibilities:
a)Jesus acted in principle the same during the flood as during His life on earth, in which case the above stated principles may be true:

or

b)Jesus acted in principle different during the flood than while on earth, in which case you, MM, would be correct, but the inspired principles would be wrong.

It seems to me more likely that your idea is in error, MM, than that the principles of inspiration are in error.

Another possibility is that your idea is in harmony with the principles of inspiration, and I would expect that you believe this is the case. I would be open for you to explain how these things, which appear to be out of harmony, really aren't.

Re: The Arsenals of God's Wrath - An Inspired Account #7158
11/07/05 12:09 AM
11/07/05 12:09 AM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, I agree with you that the principles you've outline should help us understand how and why Jesus used a Flood to kill millions of people.

Re: The Arsenals of God's Wrath - An Inspired Account #7159
11/07/05 05:33 AM
11/07/05 05:33 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
MM, what's the point in posting something that starts, "I agree ..." when you know the person to whom you are posting doesn't agree with your statement. Are you purposely trying to annoy me? To what end? I notice you post this way in response to others besides me, so I know it's not something personal against me. I'm sure it's as annoying to the others as it is to me.

If it is not your purpose to annoy, but to engage in an honest discussion, please answer my question. It's a simple one.

b)All that we can know of God was revealed in the life and character of His Son (on earth).

The conclusion is:

c)Jesus Christ did not in principle any differently during His life on earth than during any other time of His existence, whether past, present or future.

If this argument is not valid, it is either because the premises are false, or the conclusion does not follow from the premises.

Here are a couple of acceptable answers:

i)The argument is invalid, because the premises are false.
ii)The argument is invalid because the conclusion does not follow from the premises.

Thank you.

Re: The Arsenals of God's Wrath - An Inspired Account #7160
11/07/05 03:31 PM
11/07/05 03:31 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
quote:

I agree.

PS - Please do not refer to my way or manner of posting. You have no way of knowing what my feelings are. Thank you.

Re: The Arsenals of God's Wrath - An Inspired Account #7161
11/07/05 07:28 PM
11/07/05 07:28 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Apparently you agree with my premises, by your "I agree" comment. That is:

quote:

I agree.

I assume this "I agree" means that you agree with the premises. My conclusion from these premises are that it follows, given a) and b), that Jesus Christ could not have done anything fundamentally different in principle than what He did during His life on earth. Do you agree that this conclusion follows from these premises?

Here's an analagous situation. Let's say I say of you, "All that can be known of MM was revealed during his years in grade school". Would it not follow from this statement that you cannot be doing something fundamentally different in principle than what you did in grade school? If one could postulate that you are doing something differently now than in grade school, then the above proposition would be false.

Going back to premises a) and b), you are attempting to introduce a counter-example, that God (or Christ) acted fundamentally differently during the flood than how Christ acted during His life on earth. If this counter-example were true, then it would disprove the premises which you said you agreed with.

Do you understand what I'm saying? If not, I'll give up. If you do, please explain how your counter-example doesn't disprove the premises that you said you agree with.

Regarding your posting, I wasn't concerned with your feelings when you posted, just the content of your post. I notice you often post "I agree" when it's obvious that your position is not in agreement with the position that you are "agreeing" with.

Re: The Arsenals of God's Wrath - An Inspired Account #7162
11/08/05 03:08 PM
11/08/05 03:08 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Okay, Tom, now that we are on the same page I'm ready to listen to your view of the Flood. What did Jesus do that was fundamentally and principally the same as the Flood when He walked this planet as a human being.

Regarding your grade school analogy: if a person did something different than the way they did it in grade school then it would be explained as an anomaly - a strange act.

PS - You are second guessing my motives when you post things like you do. Since you cannot possibly know my motives, please refrain from making such comments. Thank you.

Page 8 of 12 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Moderator  dedication 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/28/24 11:09 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 04/28/24 09:29 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!