HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,630
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 24
kland 13
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (Daryl, Karen Y, dedication, 2 invisible), 2,943 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 4
Page 12 of 20 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 19 20
Re: Why humanity need redemption? #73427
05/10/06 02:02 AM
05/10/06 02:02 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
James, sinners die because Jesus does not allow them to eat of the tree of life. Why and how they die matters very much. But more importantly, why and how they can avoid dying in the lake of fire matters very much. We need redemption in Jesus because without it we will die in the lake of fire.

Re: Why humanity need redemption? #73428
05/10/06 03:14 AM
05/10/06 03:14 AM
J
John Boskovic  Offline
Dedicated Member
Ontario
Quote:

MM: sinners die because Jesus does not allow them to eat of the tree of life. Why and how they die matters very much. But more importantly, why and how they can avoid dying in the lake of fire matters very much. We need redemption in Jesus because without it we will die in the lake of fire.

What is point MM? Maybe Jesus should just let them eat of the tree of life and then he will not need to burn them in the lake of fire. Will that solve the problem?

The problem is not the absence of the tree of life; the problem is sin in the heart. This is why and where salvation and redemption are needed. Once that is accomplished the tree of life will be handy again.

Re: Why humanity need redemption? #73429
05/10/06 03:40 AM
05/10/06 03:40 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:

Tom, please quote me, instead of you, when sharing my views.

I wrote what I understood to be your view, and asked if it was correct, and you responded that it was.

Me:

Quote:

TE - When the wicked are resurrected, God will cast them into a lake of fire, something like molten lava, which He will keep them supernaturally alive to suffer by being scalded, or boiled, until they pay by physical suffering for each sin they have committed. The righteous who witness this will be rejoice to see this happen, even when it involves their children or other loved ones. Holy angels who witness the suffering of the wicked will rejoice. God will rejoice in the suffering of our loved ones.

You:

Quote:

MM - Correct.

The salient point is that God does something to supernaturally keep the wicked alive to that He can cause them excruciating pain. It takes a special view of God's character to hold to a thought like this.

Do you wish to adjust your view in some way? Do you now differ from my description of your view? If you would like to alter it, please feel free to do so.

If I state your view in my words, and ask you if what I stated is an accurate representation of your view, and you say it is, there is no reason for me not to quote it. If you no longer feel it is an accurate representation of your view, then please restate it, and I will quote that instead.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Why humanity need redemption? #73430
05/10/06 03:42 AM
05/10/06 03:42 AM
J
John Boskovic  Offline
Dedicated Member
Ontario
Here is some more scripture James, some of the clearest scripture on the fact that sin causes death is found in Romans 7, but by no means the only place.

Rom 7:5 For when we were in the flesh, the motions of sins , which were by the law, did work in our members to bring forth fruit unto death.
    Rom 7:8 But sin, taking occasion by the commandment, wrought in me all manner of concupiscence. For without the law sin was dead.
    Rom 7:9 For I was alive without the law once: but when the commandment came, sin revived, and I died.
    Rom 7:10 And the commandment, which was ordained to life, I found to be unto death.
    Rom 7:11 For sin, taking occasion by the commandment, deceived me, and by it slew me.
    Rom 7:12 Wherefore the law is holy, and the commandment holy, and just, and good.
    Rom 7:13 Was then that which is good made death unto me? God forbid. But sin, that it might appear sin, working death in me by that which is good; that sin by the commandment might become exceeding sinful.

In Verse 13, Paul clearly states that God does not use the law to cause death, But sin, uses the law to work death.

Does this make sense? How does sin use the law to work death?

Rom 5:21 That as sin hath reigned unto death, even so might grace reign through righteousness unto eternal life by Jesus Christ our Lord.

Re: Why humanity need redemption? #73431
05/10/06 03:49 AM
05/10/06 03:49 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:

But, are our death connected to God taking out our life or not?

James, if we wish to understand God's character, we should study the life and character of Jesus Christ. When Jesus was urged to take life, how did He respond?

Quote:

54And when his disciples James and John saw this, they said, Lord, wilt thou that we command fire to come down from heaven, and consume them, even as Elias did?

55But he turned, and rebuked them, and said, Ye know not what manner of spirit ye are of.

56For the Son of man is not come to destroy men's lives, but to save them. And they went to another village. (Luke 9:54-56)

God is not the author of death. Death is intrinsic to sin. You can't have sin without death.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Why humanity need redemption? #73432
05/10/06 03:54 AM
05/10/06 03:54 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
MM, I'm not sure you noticed this:
------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

The sin of man has brought the sure result,--decay, deformity, and death. (1SDABC 1085)

I'd like to say a bit more about this one. If death were the result of not eating from a tree, rather than being from sin, why would the death of animals result? Was it because God did not permit them to eat from the tree of life? Or was it because of sin? Why did decay come about? Was it due to a lack of access to the tree of life, or because of sin?

Re: Why humanity need redemption? #73433
05/10/06 05:42 AM
05/10/06 05:42 AM
J
John Boskovic  Offline
Dedicated Member
Ontario
Quote:

Tom: John, I would interested in seeing any Scripture references you had in mind while writing your post, most especially in reference to the first paragraphs.

Since you did not specify which particular thoughts I will guess at some.

Spirit is life; eternal life.
    Joh 6:63 It is the spirit that (quickeneth) gives life; the flesh profiteth nothing:
    1Co 15:45 And so it is written, The first man Adam was made a living soul; the last Adam was made a quickening (life giving) spirit.

Sin or righteousness is in the spirit.

Rom 7:14 For we know that the law is spiritual: but I am carnal, sold under sin.
If the law is spiritual then it takes the spirit to live it.

Life by spirit:
    Heb 10:38 Now the just shall live by faith:
    Rom 8:2 For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death.

Re: Why humanity need redemption? #73434
05/10/06 06:00 AM
05/10/06 06:00 AM
J
John Boskovic  Offline
Dedicated Member
Ontario
Quote:

Tom: I had a question about this: "Eating of the tree of life perpetuated the life of the body which otherwise by itself is in degenerative mode." I don't understand that there could be a "degenerative mode" without sin.

My statements were very brief. I will repeat them, and expand a little.

Eating of the tree of life perpetuated the life of the body which otherwise by itself is in degenerative mode. The degenerative aspect is particularly keyed to the spirit. Being one with God is eternal life in spirit.

There are two sides to your question:

The one side has the key in the word “by itself”. There is a tendency to think of heavenly physical things as having eternal life inherently. If eternal life were inherently in physics it would cease to be virtue. The primary point is that in heaven all living things live by the spirit and not vice-versa.
The first scripture that comes to my mind is Heb 1:3 … upholding all things by the word of his power, and … the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life Joh 6:63

All things are upheld by his spirit. This one thing I have seen is that the secret of eternal life is hidden not in any fantastical physics, but in the spirit of God. This too is the key as to why sin is death; it is a spirit contrary to life.

The other side has the key in the word “without sin”, as opposed to “in all righteousness”. This can get difficult to express. I stated it this way: The degenerative aspect is particularly keyed to the spirit. The point is the need to allow for growth and learning and maturing of spirit until we all come to the fullness of the stature of Christ. So any lack of completeness of spirit would be a degenerative mode (lack of sustenance of the body), needing the tree of life until such time as apprehended. I think of angels that did not sin or fall but did not see through Satan’s sophistry until the cross, when the spirit was manifested.

Rev 22:2 In the midst of the street of it, and on either side of the river, was there the tree of life, which bare twelve manner of fruits, and yielded her fruit every month: and the leaves of the tree were for the healing of the nations.

Re: Why humanity need redemption? #73435
05/10/06 03:36 PM
05/10/06 03:36 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, on page 11 of this thread I quoted several inspired insights that describe God's feelings and attitudes in regard to the punishment and death of the wicked in the lake of fire. Please explain how my view differs from the apostle John's and Sister White's in the quotes I posted. Thank you.

Jesus has "no pleasure" in the death of the wicked, but when justice is finally served He will be satisfied, His wrath will be appeased, and He will rejoice that sin and death are eliminated with unsaved sinners in the lake of fire. That's how the inspired authors describe it.

Tom and John, as to what causes the first death I think it is clear in the Bible and SOP that not being able to eat regularly of the tree of life is what causes us to gradually die the first death. Sin is not some kind of toxic or poisonous element that kills naturally like a lethal injection.

Otherwise, Jesus would not have had to prevent sinners from eating of the tree of life. Adam and Eve would have been punished and destroyed immediately according to their deeds. They would not have died a long lingering death. Without the plan of salvation such a slow death would have been pointless and cruel. It would have served no purpose.

I agree, though, that how we die is not as important as why Jesus will not allow us to eat of the tree of life. He knew that a minority of sinners would accept Him and benefit from the plan of salvation. So He granted the human race probationary time to decide for or against His kingdom and character.

But Jesus loves us too much to allow us to live in a sinful state during the entire time Earth is on probation. Six thousand years is too long to live in a sinful world. Thus, He denies us access to the tree of life. The result is we die gradually. The sleep of death is a blessing in disguise. The decay, disease, and deformity that affects nature and man are lessons we can learn from and are the result of the curse Jesus pronounced on account of sin.

Those wicked people who reject salvation in Jesus, who count it an unholy thing, are "worthy" of the punishment they will receive in the lake of fire at the hands of an angry and offended God. Willingly and willfully rejecting the Lamb of God is no laughing matter. It is the gravest of offenses, deserving of the most severe retribution and vengeance. Angels of God rejoice at the judgments of Jesus. Obviously there is something about it that satisfies them.

Hebrews
10:26 For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins,
10:27 But a certain fearful looking for of judgment and fiery indignation, which shall devour the adversaries.
10:28 He that despised Moses' law died without mercy under two or three witnesses:
10:29 Of how much sorer punishment, suppose ye, shall he be thought worthy, who hath trodden under foot the Son of God, and hath counted the blood of the covenant, wherewith he was sanctified, an unholy thing, and hath done despite unto the Spirit of grace?
10:30 For we know him that hath said, Vengeance [belongeth] unto me, I will recompense, saith the Lord. And again, The Lord shall judge his people.
10:31 [It is] a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God.

4T 191
The Lord will not be trifled with. Those who neglect His mercies and blessings in this day of opportunities will bring impenetrable darkness upon themselves and will be candidates for the wrath of God. Sodom and Gomorrah were visited with the curse of the Almighty for their sins and iniquities. There are those in our day who have equally abused the mercies of God and slighted His warnings. It will be more tolerable for Sodom and Gomorrah in the day of judgment than for those who bear the name of Christ, yet dishonor Him by their unconsecrated lives. This class are laying up for themselves a fearful retribution when God in His wrath shall visit them with His judgments. {4T 191.2}

FLB 338
To our merciful God the act of punishment is a strange act. "As I live, saith the Lord God, I have no pleasure in the death of the wicked." Eze. 33:11. . . . Yet He will "by no means clear the guilty." "The Lord is slow to anger, and great in power, and will not at all acquit the wicked." Ex. 34:6, 7; Nahum 1:3. By terrible things in righteousness He will vindicate the authority of His downtrodden law. The severity of the retribution awaiting the transgressor may be judged by the Lord's reluctance to execute justice. The nation with which He bears long, and which He will not smite until it has filled up the measure of its iniquity in God's account, will finally drink the cup of wrath unmixed with mercy. {FLB 338.5}

Re: Why humanity need redemption? #73436
05/10/06 05:20 PM
05/10/06 05:20 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
John, I see degeneration as being aligned with the concept of entropy, which I see dependent upon sin. Without sin, there would be not "friction" in the system, so to speak. It would work perfectly. So there wouldn't be any degerneration or degredation.

In one of the SOP quotes I cited, it spoke of how decay came from sin, which agrees with my understanding.

One other comment regarding the John quote. When it says the spirit gives life, could that be the Spirit gives life? What I understand Jesus meant was that:
a)Knowing God is eternal life (John 17:4)
b)We need spiritual understanding in order to know God, as in a)

This is the same idea as when Jesus said that those who worship God must worship Him in spirit and in truth. My understanding of this would have to do with the part of the mind that deals with spiritual things, which would have to do with what the Spirit of Prophecy calls that "higher powers of the mind." I don't understand that there is a spirit within us which exists apart from the mind.

I don't know if I'm disagreeing with what you're presenting or not. Overall, I'm right with you, as far as the big picture is concerned. I'm not sure if we might see some of the smaller details a little differently.

Page 12 of 20 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 19 20

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!