HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,597
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 14
kland 9
Daryl 3
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (Karen Y, Daryl, dedication, 1 invisible), 3,269 guests, and 15 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 4
Page 11 of 20 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 19 20
Re: Why humanity need redemption? #73417
05/09/06 04:28 PM
05/09/06 04:28 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
John, I agree there is a distinction between body and spirit. However, when Jesus breathed the breath of life into the nostrils of Adam he became a living soul. Body plus breath equals life. The two cannot be separated. We are physical and spiritual beings simultaneously - not independently. That's why health reform is so important. The relationship between the health of the body and the health of the spirit is inseparable. BTW, when I use the word "spirit" I mean the faculties of the mind - not some disembodied conscious thing.

Re: Why humanity need redemption? #73418
05/09/06 07:35 PM
05/09/06 07:35 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
MM, you wrote,

Quote:

James, I agree with you. Tom's view of death goes against what I believe to be true in the Bible and the SOP.

I think what you really meant to say was, "James, I disagree with you" because if you pay attention to what James wrote you will see he said this:

Quote:

I must decide that Tom’s view even though is very logic and make sense, but is not supported by the bible and upheld only by EGW.

James is saying that my view is upheld by the SOP, which is exactly the opposite of what you are saying! Oops.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Why humanity need redemption? #73419
05/09/06 08:06 PM
05/09/06 08:06 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
John, I would interested in seeing any Scripture references you had in mind while writing your post, most especially in reference to the first paragraphs.

I had a question about this: "Eating of the tree of life perpetuated the life of the body which otherwise by itself is in degenerative mode." I don't understand that there could be a "degenerative mode" without sin.

I like especially what you wrote about justice. You could flesh that out if you wanted to, which would be guaranteed to be accompanied by great applause on the part of some.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Why humanity need redemption? #73420
05/09/06 09:14 PM
05/09/06 09:14 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quoted from Tom post.

And since I would only accept and use views that are supported by the bible, I must decide that Tom’s view even though is very logic and make sense, but is not supported by the bible and upheld only by EGW.________________________________________
I think every point I've made I have supported by Scripture and the Spirit of Prophecy. Could you please name some specific point I've made which is not supported by such? At least I'm glad you think it's logical

Unquote.

I have checked your posts here in this thread, your idea that humanity died because of their sin, stressing it: “sin causes death”, has no scriptural support, just a logic based on EGW quotes.

That sin results in death is easily established from Scripture:

Quote:

The soul that sins shall die. (Exek 18:20)

Quote:

Sin pays its wages - death. (Rom. 6:23 GNB)

Quote:

Death gets its power to hurt from sin. (1 Cor. 15:16 GNB)

Quote:

Sin, when it is full-grown, gives birth to death. (James 1:15 GNB)

But I must admit that it is very logic indeed and make me must postpone my decision in order to study it further. If this idea is so important for you and Mike that both of you didn’t come to an agreement in the past 3 years till now, then surely there must be a good reason for it.

Lol. Yes, Mike and I have very different concepts of God's character. Here are some statements from Mike speaks of "satisfying His thirst for vengeance." and agreed with this reprisal of his beliefs.

Quote:

When the wicked are resurrected, God will cast them into a lake of fire, something like molten lava, which He will keep them supernaturally alive to suffer by being scalded, or boiled, until they pay by physical suffering for each sin they have committed. The righteous who witness this will be rejoice to see this happen, even when it involves their children or other loved ones. Holy angels who witness the suffering of the wicked will rejoice. God will rejoice in the suffering of our loved ones.

I see things very differently.

You wrote:
The death was not in the apple, but in the sin.

Death is inherent in sin. One cannot have sin without death. When Christ became sin, He died. God didn't kill Him, but He died because of sin. This is one of the key things His death was intended to demonstrate.
Unquote.

This idea is strong.

Paul said: For since death came through a man, the resurrection from the death comes also through a man. For as in Adam all die, so in Christ all will be made alive. 1 Corinthians 15:21,22

Another quote from Paul: Therefore, just as sin entered the world through one man, and death through sin, and in this way death came to all men, because all sinned. Romans 5:12

My understanding for what Paul had said is:
1. Humanity died because they were incorporated in Adam’s body even they were unborn yet, which means, the fate of humanity is secure, born to die, according to 1 Corinthians 15:22.
2. Humanity died because all have sinned.

The question now is, “what kills Adam?” How did he die?
We have two solid answers here, which one is supported by the bible?

1. Sin causes death, IOW – Adam died because of his sin, as according to Tom Ewall
2. Adam died because his life is no longer sustained by the fruit of life. Created immortal, he only could survive and continue to live if he continue eats the fruit of life, this is as according to M.M.

When you speak of death, it would be helpful if you made clear what death you are talking about. Are you talking about physical death, or the second death? Paul explains that death comes from sin by the following:

Quote:

Sin came into the world through one man, and his sin brought death with it. (Rom. 5:12 GNB)

This makes is very clear that death came by sin, doesn't it?

Re: Why humanity need redemption? #73421
05/09/06 09:52 PM
05/09/06 09:52 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
The Spirit of Prophecy tells us:

Quote:

It is Satan's constant effort to misrepresent the character of God, the nature of sin, and the real issues at stake in the great controversy. (GC 569)

What is the nature of sin? Does it result in death? Is the following statement true?

Again, death is not the result of sinning.

No, it is not. There is hardly a point in inspiration more firmly established than that sin results in death. It is indeed important that we understand this, which explains why the enemy is so determined that we don't. Here are statements from both Scripture and the Spirit of Prophecy which establish that sin results in death.

Quote:

The soul that sins shall die. (Exek 18:20)

Quote:

Sin pays its wages - death. (Rom. 6:23 GNB)

Quote:

Death gets its power to hurt from sin. (1 Cor. 15:16 GNB)

Quote:

Sin, when it is full-grown, gives birth to death. (James 1:15 GNB)

Quote:

Sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men. (Romans 5:12)

Quote:

Had Satan and his host then been left to reap the full result of their sin, they would have perished; but it would not have been apparent to heavenly beings that this was the inevitable result of sin.(DA 764)

Quote:

We are not to regard God as waiting to punish the sinner for his sin. The sinner brings punishment upon himself. His own actions start a train of circumstances that bring the sure result. Every act of transgression reacts upon the sinner, works in him a change of character, and makes it more easy for him to transgress again. By choosing to sin, men separate themselves from God, cut themselves off from the channel of blessing, and the sure result is ruin and death. (FILB 84)

Quote:

Show that it was sin which marred God's perfect work; that thorns and thistles, sorrow and pain and death, are all the result of disobedience to God. (FILB 274)

Quote:

In all His dealings with His creatures God has maintained the principles of righteousness by revealing sin in its true character--by demonstrating that its sure result is misery and death. (God's Amazing Grace 73)

Quote:

The sin of man has brought the sure result,--decay, deformity, and death. (1SDABC 1085)

Quote:

Adam and Eve persuaded themselves that in so small a matter as eating of the forbidden fruit, there could not result such terrible consequences as God had declared. But this small matter was sin, the transgression of God's immutable and holy law, and it opened the floodgates of death and untold woe upon our world. . . . Let us not esteem sin as a trivial thing. (That I May Know Him 14)

Indeed, let's not! Sin is a terrible thing, which we tend to vastly underestimate. "But few realize the sinfulness of sin." (Conflict and Courage 109)

Re: Why humanity need redemption? #73422
05/09/06 11:07 PM
05/09/06 11:07 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:

The sin of man has brought the sure result,--decay, deformity, and death. (1SDABC 1085)

I'd like to say a bit more about this one. If death were the result of not eating from a tree, rather than being from sin, why would the death of animals result? Was it because God did not permit them to eat from the tree of life? Or was it because of sin? Why did decay come about? Was it due to a lack of access to the tree of life, or because of sin?

The whole earth groans under the curse of sin.

Re: Why humanity need redemption? #73423
05/10/06 01:40 AM
05/10/06 01:40 AM
C
Charity  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2020

4500+ Member
USA
MM, re; that quote in the third post by Tom on this page (11) - you're saying God rejoices in the suffering of the wicked? It says He has no pleasure in their death. Granted, there are times when God encourages rejoicing - at the drowning of Pharoah's army, at the future destruction of Babylon. The rejoicing in those cases is because of God's deliverence though isn't it?

Re: Why humanity need redemption? #73424
05/10/06 01:45 AM
05/10/06 01:45 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, please quote me, instead of you, when sharing my views. Thank you. Here's how Sister White wrote about the lake of fire and the rejoicing that attends it:

EW 294, 295
Satan rushes into the midst of his followers and tries to stir up the multitude to action. But fire from God out of heaven is rained upon them, and the great men, and mighty men, the noble, the poor and miserable, are all consumed together. I saw that some were quickly destroyed, while others suffered longer. They were punished according to the deeds done in the body. Some were many days consuming, and just as long as there was a portion of them unconsumed, all the sense of suffering remained. Said the angel, "The worm of life shall not die; their fire shall not be quenched as long as there is the least particle for it to prey upon." {EW 294.1}

Satan and his angels suffered long. Satan bore not only the weight and punishment of his own sins, but also of the sins of the redeemed host, which had been placed upon him; and he must also suffer for the ruin of souls which he had caused. Then I saw that Satan and all the wicked host were consumed, and the justice of God was satisfied; and all the angelic host, and all the redeemed saints, with a loud voice said, "Amen!" {EW 294.2}

EW 51
The soul that sinneth it shall die an everlasting death--a death that will last forever, from which there will be no hope of a resurrection; and then the wrath of God will be appeased. {EW 51.2}

EW 218
The soul that sinneth, it shall die an everlasting death-- a death from which there will be no hope of resurrection; and then the wrath of God will be appeased. {EW 218.1}

GC 672, 673
Saith the Lord: "Because thou hast set thine heart as the heart of God; behold, therefore I will bring strangers upon thee, the terrible of the nations: and they shall draw their swords against the beauty of thy wisdom, and they shall defile thy brightness. They shall bring thee down to the pit." "I will destroy thee, O covering cherub, from the midst of the stones of fire. . . . I will cast thee to the ground, I will lay thee before kings, that they may behold thee. . . . I will bring thee to ashes upon the earth in the sight of all them that behold thee. . . . Thou shalt be a terror, and never shalt thou be any more." Ezekiel 28:6-8, 16-19. {GC 672.1}

"Every battle of the warrior is with confused noise, and garments rolled in blood; but this shall be with burning and fuel of fire." "The indignation of the Lord is upon all nations, and His fury upon all their armies: He hath utterly destroyed them, He hath delivered them to the slaughter." "Upon the wicked He shall rain quick burning coals, fire and brimstone and an horrible tempest: this shall be the portion of their cup." Isaiah 9:5; 34:2; Psalm 11:6, margin. Fire comes down from God out of heaven. The earth is broken up. The weapons concealed in its depths are drawn forth. Devouring flames burst from every yawning chasm. The very rocks are on fire. The day has come that shall burn as an oven. The elements melt with fervent heat, the earth also, and the works that are therein are burned up. Malachi 4:1; 2 Peter 3:10. The earth's surface seems one molten mass--a vast, seething lake of fire. It is the time of the judgment and perdition of ungodly men--"the day of the Lord's vengeance, and the year of recompenses for the controversy of Zion." Isaiah 34:8. {GC 672.2}

The wicked receive their recompense in the earth. Proverbs 11:31. They "shall be stubble: and the day that cometh shall burn them up, saith the Lord of hosts." Malachi 4:1. Some are destroyed as in a moment, while others suffer many days. All are punished "according to their deeds." The sins of the righteous having been transferred to Satan, he is made to suffer not only for his own rebellion, but for all the sins which he has caused God's people to commit. His punishment is to be far greater than that of those whom he has deceived. After all have perished who fell by his deceptions, he is still to live and suffer on. In the cleansing flames the wicked are at last destroyed, root and branch--Satan the root, his followers the branches. The full penalty of the law has been visited; the demands of justice have been met; and heaven and earth, beholding, declare the righteousness of Jehovah. {GC 673.1}

Re: Why humanity need redemption? #73425
05/10/06 01:49 AM
05/10/06 01:49 AM
J
James Saptenno  Offline OP
Charter Member
Active Member 2012
Dedicated Member
Jakarta, Indonesia
Tom.

Now you have shown the Scripture back’s up, good.

For me, the most important thing is that God has nothing to do with sin and death of men; it is all their own choice. How they died does not really matter, what matter is that man were created in perfection, holy, with a free will choice to live eternally but died because of sin which is their own choice.

From this point view, I could understand the need of humanity to be redeemed and the need of God to redeem men.

If God gives life and then at some time when he thinks is right he takes out the life of that man, then I understand that redemption is not needed and Christ does not exist. This is what I want to find out.

But, are our death connected to God taking out our life or not?

In His love

James S

Re: Why humanity need redemption? #73426
05/10/06 01:55 AM
05/10/06 01:55 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Mark, the rejoicing that attends those who behold the punishment and destruction of the wicked during the seven last plagues and in the lake of fire is recorded throughout the Bible and the SOP.

Revelation
16:5 And I heard the angel of the waters say, Thou art righteous, O Lord, which art, and wast, and shalt be, because thou hast judged thus.
16:6 For they have shed the blood of saints and prophets, and thou hast given them blood to drink; for they are worthy.
16:7 And I heard another out of the altar say, Even so, Lord God Almighty, true and righteous [are] thy judgments.

Revelation
18:4 And I heard another voice from heaven, saying, Come out of her, my people, that ye be not partakers of her sins, and that ye receive not of her plagues.
18:5 For her sins have reached unto heaven, and God hath remembered her iniquities.
18:6 Reward her even as she rewarded you, and double unto her double according to her works: in the cup which she hath filled fill to her double.
18:7 How much she hath glorified herself, and lived deliciously, so much torment and sorrow give her: for she saith in her heart, I sit a queen, and am no widow, and shall see no sorrow.
18:8 Therefore shall her plagues come in one day, death, and mourning, and famine; and she shall be utterly burned with fire: for strong [is] the Lord God who judgeth her.

I agree with you that Jesus has "no pleasure" in the death of the wicked, but when justice is finally served He will be satisfied, His wrath will be appeased, He will rejoice that sin and death are eliminated with unsaved sinners in the lake of fire. That's how the inspired authors describe it.

Page 11 of 20 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 19 20

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/25/24 09:37 AM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 04/24/24 02:15 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!