HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,629
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 24
kland 13
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, Daryl, dedication, Nadi, 2 invisible), 2,967 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Death: Who or what caused it? #74440
05/29/06 01:08 AM
05/29/06 01:08 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:

What God did do, was to provide for a way of salvation from the death that occured; not that he caused the death to occur. If that were the case, God is saving us from his own actions.

This is very important for us to understand. It makes a profound difference whether we view God as One to fear because He will kill us if we do not do what He says, or as One who saves us from sin.

What is it that is deadly, that we need to be saved from? Is it sin, or God?

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Death: Who or what caused it? #74441
05/29/06 01:12 AM
05/29/06 01:12 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Another way to look at this is to consider what eternal life is. Eternal life is not dealing with duration of life. That is, it does not mean a physical life which never ends. It is dealing with a quality of life, what John is calling spiritual life.

Jesus said, "To know God is life eternal." When Adam and Eve chose to rebel against God, they chose not to know Him. Since knowing God is eternal life, not knowing God is eternal death. It's that simple. In order that we might life, God sent His Son, that we might know Him. Thus it is that we read both in the Scriptures, in John 17, and in the Spirit of Prophecy (ST 1/20/90) that the whole purpose of Christ's mission was to reveal God to us. Knowing God solved the sin problem.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Death: Who or what caused it? #74442
05/29/06 06:28 PM
05/29/06 06:28 PM
J
John Boskovic  Offline
Dedicated Member
Ontario
Quote:

Re: Death: Who or what caused it? #74443
05/30/06 05:23 AM
05/30/06 05:23 AM
J
James Saptenno  Offline OP
Charter Member
Active Member 2012
Dedicated Member
Jakarta, Indonesia
John.

I try to summarize your view, correct me if I’m wrong.

Sin is spiritual death and the body was not created to have life in it self, when spirit is death, body must die too. When man sinned, he lost spiritual life and became carnal, he must die if God not intervene. Adam would die instantly, but the plan of salvation has prolonged man’s life.

Salvation then has to do with two aspects:
1. Bringing life back to the spirit
2. Restoration of the body to the agreement of the spirit.

Quoting 2 verses of the Scripture to sustain your view that spiritual death (sin) is the caused of human death.

I would comment on your view.

1. According to the Scripture: Life is the body + the Spirit of God. Death is the body – the Spirit of God
2. According to your view: Life is the body + a death spirit.

The question is: Is this death spirit still the same Spirit of God? Or is it of another spirit? Whose spirit? If it is no longer the Spirit of God, how could we continue living?

Salvation according to me is:

1. Resurrection of the death, a restored life after death.
2. Liberation of the power of sin

Is it the same as what you said?

In His love

James

Re: Death: Who or what caused it? #74444
05/30/06 06:02 AM
05/30/06 06:02 AM
J
James Saptenno  Offline OP
Charter Member
Active Member 2012
Dedicated Member
Jakarta, Indonesia
Quote:

What God did do, was to provide for a way of salvation from the death that occured; not that he caused the death to occur. If that were the case, God is saving us from his own actions.

This is very important for us to understand. It makes a profound difference whether we view God as One to fear because He will kill us if we do not do what He says, or as One who saves us from sin.

Unquote.

Interesting!

This death occurred because man has chosen their own will. Man could do this because God created him with the free will of choice. God, knowing man would sin and die, has prepared Christ, “who was foreordained before the foundation of the world” to save man back.

God is the creator of heaven and earth, “and without him was not anything made that was made.”

God is the Source of life, but death, where it comes from?

I think we must go to the very beginning of man creation, there we would find the true answer, and not looking in what happened to them after they sinned.

Life is : Body + the Spirit of God

Genesis 2:7 “And the Lord God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man becomes a living soul.”
Psalm 104:30 “When you send your Spirit they are created…..”

Death is: Body – the Spirit of God.

Where goes the Spirit of God? Back to Him that has given it.
How could the Spirit go back to God? Did He take it away or does the Spirit spring out of itself from our body?

The Scripture answer it: Psalm 104:29 “……………….., when you take away their breath, they die and return to the dust.”

Did God ever planned to take away his Spirit from man? I believe no, man was created with the intention to live forever even though they are mortal, or subject to die.

So, what makes it happen that death occurred to man?

Sin? Or God because man have sinned?

In His love

James S

Last edited by James Saptenno; 05/30/06 06:13 AM.
Re: Death: Who or what caused it? #74445
05/31/06 01:51 AM
05/31/06 01:51 AM
J
John Boskovic  Offline
Dedicated Member
Ontario
Quote:

I would comment on your view.

1. According to the Scripture: Life is the body + the Spirit of God. Death is the body – the Spirit of God
2. According to your view: Life is the body + a death spirit.

1. That would be God’s life in his body. In creation God gave life to the body and he gave man spirit, man’s spirit. Eternal life is a union of God’s spirit with man’s spirit. It is not a union of Gods body with man’s body, or a union of Gods spirit with man’s body.

2. In sin man’s spirit separated from God’s spirit and spiritual death occurred. Man lost spiritual life and became carnal; that is, he (his spirit) now subsists by the flesh (or the body).

Re: Death: Who or what caused it? #74446
05/31/06 01:56 AM
05/31/06 01:56 AM
J
John Boskovic  Offline
Dedicated Member
Ontario
Quote:

The question is: Is this death spirit still the same Spirit of God? Or is it of another spirit? Whose spirit? If it is no longer the Spirit of God, how could we continue living?

Of course it is not God’s spirit; it is man’s spirit. Man’s spirit separated from God’s spirit and spiritual death occurred. We continue living because God created us so as to have temporal life in the body and eternal life in the spirit. In sin the spirit of man transgresses against eternal life, and thus spiritual life is lost to death, and man continues to exist in a carnal state for a temporary time.

Quote:

Salvation according to me is:

1. Resurrection of the death, a restored life after death.
2. Liberation of the power of sin

Is it the same as what you said?

No, I don’t think so. The way you said that sounds like, you will be saved and set free from sin only after the resurrection in the end. So how are you supposed to live in the meantime, so as that you will qualify for salvation in the end?

Salvation is now and in the present; the liberation from the power of sin and death, which keeps our spirit carnal. By re-establishing the union of our spirit with God’s spirit; being born of the spirit of God. So the primary and present aspect of salvation is spiritual.

The secondary and future aspect of salvation is the restoration of the physical side to the agreement of the spirit.

Re: Death: Who or what caused it? #74447
05/31/06 03:02 AM
05/31/06 03:02 AM
J
John Boskovic  Offline
Dedicated Member
Ontario
Quote:

I think we must go to the very beginning of man creation, there we would find the true answer, and not looking in what happened to them after they sinned.

Life is : Body + the Spirit of God

"Life is : Body + the Spirit of God." That would be God living in his own body, not man. In order for man to be a person, he must have his own spirit. God gave man spirit at creation; that was man’s spirit. Man could choose to be in fellowship with God’s spirit, or he could choose to separate. That was sin. But spirit cannot exist on its own, so the change that occurred is that man lost spiritual life and became carnal; his spirit now subsisted by the temporary life of the body.

From dust thou art and to dust thou shalt return.

Quote:

Genesis 2:7 “And the Lord God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man becomes a living soul.”
Psalm 104:30 “When you send your Spirit they are created…..”

Death is: Body – the Spirit of God.

"Death is: Body – the Spirit of God." That would be God dying.

Spiritual death is separation of our spirit from God’s spirit.
Physical death is the death of the body.

Quote:

Did God ever planned to take away his Spirit from man? I believe no,

No, God never planned and never did take his spirit away from man. Man chose to separate from God’s spirit, and live by the flesh. God’s spirit continues to strive with man to reestablish fellowship and life.

Re: Death: Who or what caused it? #74448
06/03/06 02:59 PM
06/03/06 02:59 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Daryl wrote: These were all acts on God's part, therefore, it would seem logical to say that God caused death as a result of their not heeding His warning not to eat from the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil.

I agree. Jesus warned them fairly. He always keeps His promises. He never forces us.

Re: Death: Who or what caused it? #74449
06/04/06 12:01 AM
06/04/06 12:01 AM
C
Charity  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2020

4500+ Member
USA
I’m still thinking about your idea John that man died spiritually at the fall. Do I have that right? I was glad to see you raised the issue of the spiritual nature of man in this context because it relates to the question of the thread. Could you confirm that is what you’re saying and I’ll give that more thought.

In another thread I raised the issue of the physical and spiritual nature of man and asked if Adventism’s view that man is a combination of the breath of life or spirit of God and physical body is an adequate description of humankind.

Tom said: “There is no spiritual aspect to man which does not involve his mind. All communication between God and man happens through the mind, . . .When a person is in vision, or dreaming, their mind is active. Their spirit doesn't go anywhere. No part of the person has moved to a different location, although the mind may perceive this to be happening.”

Tom seems to be saying above that all communication takes place through the organ of the brain, and that visions occur there and nowhere else, but is that necessarily true? I’ve put together two authorities that seem to indicate there is more to it than that. The first is from EGW describing the end of her vision of the glories of other worlds.

She says, “I could not bear the thought of coming back to this dark world again. Then the angel said, "You must go back, and if you are faithful, you, with the 144,000, shall have the privilege of visiting all the worlds and viewing the handiwork of God."” {EW 39.3}

So was EGW in this other world and did her conversation with Enoch take place there or did it only take place in her brain. Since she was not breathing, how could the physical thinking processes of the brain which requires oxygen be working? God could supply the lack of oxygen miraculously, but the fact that her bodily functions were stopped suggests that her centre of thought was no longer in her brain.

Paul, speaking of his vision says; “12:2 I knew a man in Christ above fourteen years ago, (whether in the body, I cannot tell; or whether out of the body, I cannot tell: God knoweth;) such an one caught up to the third heaven.
12:3 And I knew such a man, (whether in the body, or out of the body, I cannot tell: God knoweth;)
12:4 How that he was caught up into paradise, and heard unspeakable words, which it is not lawful for a man to utter.” II Cor. 12

Here Paul the apostle says he is not sure himself what happened when he went into vision and was taken to paradise 14 years earlier. Isn’t it a little surprising (and instructive) that the Apostle who wrote the most profound and difficult theological statements still did not know after many visions and years of reflection whether he was both physically and spiritually in paradise. But he does seem to be sure of one thing; that is, at a minimum, he was in paradise in spirit if not physically. He deliberately leaves open the possibility that his physical body may have remained on earth while he visited paradise in spirit.

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!