HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,638
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 21
kland 6
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, TheophilusOne, 2 invisible), 3,232 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 16 of 19 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 19
Re: What is the spirit of a man? #75050
07/09/06 01:48 AM
07/09/06 01:48 AM
K
kubuli  Offline
Posting New Member
Muncie, Indiana
Mark, I like the way you throw insults then immediately warn, "Please don't send an insult back in my direction." This is priceless.

Re: What is the spirit of a man? #75051
07/09/06 04:43 AM
07/09/06 04:43 AM
G
gordonb1  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2014

Veteran Member
Quebec
Yes Mark, I agree, the Bible teaches that man has a spirit within, which you referred to as character. A man is known by his spirit. We might call an unkind man 'mean-spirited'. Just as "God is a Spirit" (John 4:24), He is also a physical being. The "Ancient of days did sit, whose garment was white as snow, and the hair of his head like the pure wool" (Daniel 7:9).

Christ, the only begotten Son of God, "the express image of his (Father's) person" (Hebrews 1:3) also has a Spirit and a body.

Man, created in the image of the Father & Son, likewise has spirit and body. "And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness" (Genesis 1:26) "In the beginning, man was created in the likeness of God, not only in character, but in form and feature." Great Controversy 644-45. "When Adam came from the Creator's hand, he bore, in his physical, mental, and spiritual nature, a likeness to his maker." Education 15.

My only sure hope will come from the Bible definition of 'spirit'. "God designs that men shall not decide from impulse, but from the weight of evidence, carefully comparing scripture with scripture." Desire of Ages 458. It is certain that God's people of old understood the meaning of 'spirit', as did those of Christ's day. Why are God's professed people today in confusion?

Leroy Froom makes a "frank personal confession" in 'Movement of Destiny'. Forty years after the fact, Froom, noted SDA historian and author admits the sources for his book on the Holy Spirit, 'The Coming of the Comforter'. " I was compelled to search out a score of valuable books written by men outside our faith." - Movement of Destiny, p.322. He also presented the fruit of his research (from Pentecostals and others) in a series of studies he gave in 1927-28 to SDA ministerial institutes throughout North America. He wrote to a colleague of his experience "You cannot imagine how I was pummeled by some of the old timers because I pressed on the personality of the Holy Spirit as the Third Person of the Godhead....But the book has come to be generally accepted as standard." - Letter to Dr. O.H. Christenson Oct. 27, 1960.

Gordon

Re: What is the spirit of a man? #75052
07/09/06 11:30 AM
07/09/06 11:30 AM
C
Charity  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2020

4500+ Member
USA
I liked your comments Gordon on the evidence that even the Father and Son have a body.

On our achieving unborrowed immortality, while we become partakers of the divine nature, I see no evidence that we ever enter a sphere of unborrowed eternal existence. The four highest archangels who stand in God's immediate presence pictured in Revelation never have any life but what is borrowed. The river of life is pictured in scripture as always issuing from the throne of God. All living things are sustained by borrowing their life from Him.

It is looking like this area of doctrine is gaining the attention of people and it is showing signs of being in a state of flux. We need to be careful in our posts, thorough in our study and prayerful.

Re: What is the spirit of a man? #75053
07/09/06 02:08 PM
07/09/06 02:08 PM
J
John Boskovic  Offline
Dedicated Member
Ontario
Quote:

On our achieving unborrowed immortality, while we become partakers of the divine nature, I see no evidence that we ever enter a sphere of unborrowed eternal existence.

This is the classical misconception. That which is spoken of is not existence or immortality of existence; it is talking about “life”. It cannot be borrowed, it is inherited. It would be good for us to understand that the only way to enter into eternal life is by inheritance.

Joh 5:24 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.

Re: What is the spirit of a man? #75054
07/09/06 02:22 PM
07/09/06 02:22 PM
Daryl  Online Canadian

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
NOTICE:
As kubuli is actually a second registration of Darius, which is a direct violation of our forum rules, kubuli has been banned from any further activity in any forum of MSDAOL, therefore, there will not be any further replies under the username of kubuli.

It seems that all banned members were reactivated as a result of conversion, another glitch caused by conversion from UBB Classics to UBB Threads.

In His Love, Mercy & Grace,

Daryl smile

John 8:32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

http://www.christians-discuss.com/forum/index.php
Re: What is the spirit of a man? #75055
07/09/06 02:58 PM
07/09/06 02:58 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:

Christ never had/has his “own divinity”; his divinity is his Father.

Of course, John B., we do disagree if you think Christ never had/has His own divinity. Was He God before His incarnation? Did He cease to be God after His incarnation? Is He God today?

Quote:

It cannot be borrowed, it is inherited.

“Unborrowed” is used as a synonym of “underived”, and something inherited is derived from a source. Our life, or immortality, will always be derived from God; it will never be inherent to us.

“We derive immortality from God by receiving the life of Christ for in Christ dwells all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. This life is the mystical union and cooperation of the divine with the human.” {ST, June 17, 1897 par. 14}

What is being proposed here by several people is that Jesus had two kinds of life – one borrowed and one unborrowed – which strikes me as odd, although I wouldn’t discard it as impossible because the union of the divine and of the human natures is a mystery.
However, I would point out that the passages under discussion here affirm unequivocally that:

“The spirit, the character of man, is returned to God, there to be preserved.” So, confirming Eccles. 12:7, it is said that at death what comprises the life of man returns to God.

But

All that comprised the life and intelligence of Jesus remained with His body in the sepulcher.”

The meaning of the two passages is clear and shouldn’t be twisted. What happened to Christ is not what happens to all men.

Mark,

Commenting on the final words of Jesus, Ellen White says:

“He is acquainted with the character of his Father; He understands his justice, his mercy, and his great love; in submission He commends Himself to God." {BEcho, September 15, 1892 par. 3}

Re: What is the spirit of a man? #75056
07/09/06 03:33 PM
07/09/06 03:33 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
While Sister White wrote that "spirit" in Eccl. 12:7 means "character" it should be obvious from the context that it is primarily referring to the "breath of life". God "gave" us the breath of life - not character. Yes, our characters are preserved in the mind of God and restored to us in the resurrection, and Eccl. 12:7 includes this meaning, but the primary meaning refers to the breath of life. Also, the word "spirit" means many other things - attitude, disposition, intention, etc.

Re: What is the spirit of a man? #75057
07/10/06 03:37 AM
07/10/06 03:37 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:

As kubuli is actually a second registration of Darius.

I was wondering how long it would take for this to be picked up on.

The next time he registers he'll have to be more clever in how he posts.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: What is the spirit of a man? #75058
07/10/06 11:59 AM
07/10/06 11:59 AM
C
Charity  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2020

4500+ Member
USA
Rosangela, on the borrowed and unborrowed life of Christ, I agree with your approach to leave open the door for both possibilities.

On the final words of Christ you wrote:
Quote:

Mark,

Commenting on the final words of Jesus, Ellen White says:

“He is acquainted with the character of his Father; He understands his justice, his mercy, and his great love; in submission He commends Himself to God." {BEcho, September 15, 1892 par. 3}

When EGW says "He commends Himself to God" isn’t she saying that Christ in faith committed His spirit, His identity to God. The final words of Christ are a window for us on His final, crowing act of faith. The DA indicates that it was this victory that was the capstone of all the acts of faith of Christ; it was the final act that gave Him compete victory in His life’s battle with the devil and sin. Her description in the DA on the final words of Christ is saturated with inspiration. If we could pick one part of His passion as the moment of complete victory this would be it. This is the very head waters of where the healing stream flowing from Calvary's mountain originates. With that in mind, it is worth looking closely at what the import of His final words were.

Re: What is the spirit of a man? #75059
07/10/06 03:07 PM
07/10/06 03:07 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
This is kind of an interesting thread. It's looking to me like no two of us completely agree, although much of what John H. wrote I agreed with.

I'd like to return to my question of some time back. How can divinity by unconscious? Even voluntarily? That doesn't make any sense to me. Could God the Father do this? Voluntarily be unconscious? The Holy Spirit as well? Can they take naps?

Regarding the life of Christ being underived, she also said of Him that He was "Jehovah, the self-existent One." Even though we could say that we also possess life, unoriginal, unborrowed, underived in the sense of receiving the life of God through faith, we could still not say of ourselves that we are "Jehovah, the self-existent One." We are not self-existent, so there is a difference in the sense in which Christ had life "unoriginal, unborrowed, and underived" and the sense in which we have it.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Page 16 of 19 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 19

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/19/24 01:25 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/16/24 02:17 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by kland. 05/17/24 04:47 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!