HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,629
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 24
kland 13
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Nadi, 3 invisible), 3,062 guests, and 9 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Historic SDA? #75189
07/05/06 01:17 AM
07/05/06 01:17 AM
the1888message  Offline
USA
Quote:

David I'm just curious, you preach and teach in a conference SDA church and yet in your profile you state you are not a member. How did that come about? I'm just asking and if you don't feel comfortable answering I understand.

Redfog

It is fine to be curious and I have no problem answering your questions.
I am not a member any longer, for many reasons. I have not left the foundations that this church was founded on. I hold to the founder’s teachings and the KJV as the compass.

How did I come about preaching and teaching? Well, God moved my family and I some 1600 miles to our new place. I was visiting the local SDA church and after 2 Sabbaths they invited me to enter their pulpit and to preach. God has opened some doors.
I have another lady from another local SDA church (understand that 30-50 miles is local) that wasn’t to get Bible Studies started for a mid week service also and has asked me to be the teacher.
God is Great

I have a question, out of what I posted this is all that caught your attention?

Peace and Grace
David

The greatest want of the world is the want of men-- men who will not be bought or sold, men who in their inmost souls are true and honest, men who do not fear to call sin by its right name, men whose conscience is as true to duty as the needle to the pole, men who will stand for the right though the heavens fall.
Re: Historic SDA? #75190
07/05/06 01:19 AM
07/05/06 01:19 AM
the1888message  Offline
USA
Quote:

If these are your beliefs and this is what you preach and teach in the conference church....either no one is listening or I would say you will not be there long...OR maybe you will start a revival! I would be interested to hear what happens. What will you do if the conference should ask you not to teach these things?

Well to answer your questions; these are my beliefs along with the true Sanctuary message the founders taught, and some others that they taught.

1) Will I be preaching in the SDA church for long? I do not know how much longer? I am a quest speaker and they have also asked me to teach the Sabbath School Lesson. I have another local church wanting mid-week studies, which will begin this week.
2) If they stop me, well that is in God’s hands not mine.
3) Will I stop teaching the old ways? Not until I am dead. And we know that time is not to far off. Remember that persecution will come from within the church first, or at least that is how it has happened in history and in the writings of the founders confirm this.
4) Revival???? “Are we hoping to see the whole church revived? That time will never come.” R&H March 23, 1887. Remember, that the church is Laodicean and not the Philly church. Christ is knocking at the heart of the people and not on the doors of the church.
5) People are putting down these modern catholic perversions that are called bibles and turning to the KJV for the truth. They are waking up and learning the old ways and they are saying that it has been years since they have been fed like this. They want the straight truth instead of the watered down things they have been being taught.
6) If they ask me to stop I will not, for this is why God sent me here. What can they do to me? Hire some more Catholic lawyers and sue me using tithe money as they have done former SDA pastors? I will continue.

“The world must not be introduced into the church and married to the church, forming a band of unity. Through this means the church will become corrupt, and, as stated in Revelation, “a Cage of every unclean and hateful bird””.Test. to Min. and Workers, pg 265, written on the steamer “Almeda” on the broad ocean, Nov 17, 1891

Peach and Grace

David

The greatest want of the world is the want of men-- men who will not be bought or sold, men who in their inmost souls are true and honest, men who do not fear to call sin by its right name, men whose conscience is as true to duty as the needle to the pole, men who will stand for the right though the heavens fall.
Re: Historic SDA? #75191
07/05/06 02:56 AM
07/05/06 02:56 AM
Redfog  Offline
Michigan, USA
No that was not the only thing that I saw in what you wrote but I was just curious about a former member being invited to preach in a SDA church.

I don't know very much about historic Adventists and tend to lend my support to the official church, even though there is no doubt it has many faults. Ultimately our Salvation does not depend on belonging to any particular church but is dependant on our having a relationship with the Creator. There will be people of all denominations (and none at all) that inhabit the New Earth.

Redfog

If at first you don't succeed.....destroy all evidence you ever tried.
Re: Historic SDA? #75192
07/05/06 09:48 AM
07/05/06 09:48 AM
the1888message  Offline
USA
Quote:

No that was not the only thing that I saw in what you wrote but I was just curious about a former member being invited to preach in a SDA church.

I don't know very much about historic Adventists and tend to lend my support to the official church, even though there is no doubt it has many faults. Ultimately our Salvation does not depend on belonging to any particular church but is dependant on our having a relationship with the Creator. There will be people of all denominations (and none at all) that inhabit the New Earth.

Redfog

You are correct there are going to be many people who will be in heaven and not be SDA’s.
But no matter where you attend church or denomination should you not make sure that what it stands for is correct? One should never just follow blindly. I did for many years until I started searching for truth.

It is interesting that there are two different sets of beliefs, why? What changed and why did it change?

Peace and Grace

David

Re: Historic SDA? #75193
07/06/06 12:38 AM
07/06/06 12:38 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Bro David,

I have some questions for clarification.

First off, it looks like your list has many more points than the list of Pillars/Landmarks that EGW made. Is your list prescriptive (defining a set of beliefs that one must have in order to be "Historic") or descriptive (listing a set of beliefs that many Historics have in common, though some might not)?

Quote:

They do not believe in the "trinity"!

Do they believe that the Father, Son and Holy Spirit are fully equal in authority?
Do they believe that there was ever a time that either Jesus or the Holy Spirit did not exist?
Do they believe that the Holy Spirit is a distinct individual/person from the Father and Son, having His own life independent of Theirs?

Quote:

The three angels message ( it is not watered done as it is today)

How is today's different from the historic message?

Quote:

They did and will not join with the government (as is done today)

How do you define "join" in that statement?

Quote:

They use the KJV (and not a modern perversion)

Does that leave EGW out, as she sometimes used the RSV (which, aside from the accuracy of the translation, touches upon the integrity of the manuscripts)?

Quote:

They teach the straight truth and do not use "Greek" philosophy

In a nutshell, what's the difference between "straight" and "Greek"?

Quote:

They believe that there is "new"light and that this "new" light will not change the old light in anyway.

Was there ever a time in Adventism when there was no error to discard?
Is there a mechanism to show when "old light" must be discarded as "old error" in favor of new truth?

Quote:

We do not believe that the healing of the first beast of Revelation happened in 1927 or 1929 but instead we know it truly happened on March 14, 1800, as was taught by men like U. Smith (pre- 1880's) and S. N. Haskell and others.

How does this impact the rest of our prophetic understanding?
In what way does this point of doctrine affect our ability to perfect character?

Quote:

If they are true Historic SDA's they do not keep feast days either, for this was not taught.

"But bade them farewell, saying, I must by all means keep this feast that cometh in Jerusalem: but I will return again unto you, if God will. And he sailed from Ephesus." (Acts 18:21)

"Paul greatly desired to reach Jerusalem before the Passover as he would thus have an opportunity to meet those who should come from all parts of the world to attend the feast." {AA 389.1}

"His plan to reach Jerusalem in time for the Passover services had to be given up, but he hoped to be there at Pentecost." {AA 390.2}

"At Philippi Paul tarried to keep the Passover." {AA 390.4}

These suggest that Paul kept the Passover and Pentecost. Is there something wrong with that practice?

Quote:

The Historic SDA's have not left the church that was founded. However, it is a fact that the modern domination has left what the church had all those years ago... They are LAODICEAN and they left the Philly church.

From this, I get the impression that "Historic SDA" believers and today's SDA denomination are not in the same organization. Is that right?

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: Historic SDA? #75194
07/06/06 03:08 AM
07/06/06 03:08 AM
D
Dr.Glenn  Offline
Nevada
David:
You say that the "trinity doctrine" came into the SDA church around 1955. I believe it came into the SDA church shortly after 1929 when the deadly wound was healed (Rev. 13:3). Take a look at the SDA yearbooks shortly after 1929 that print the fundamental beliefs.
Dr. Glenn

grw
Re: Historic SDA? #75195
07/06/06 09:37 AM
07/06/06 09:37 AM
the1888message  Offline
USA
Quote:

David:
You say that the "trinity doctrine" came into the SDA church around 1955. I believe it came into the SDA church shortly after 1929 when the deadly wound was healed (Rev. 13:3). Take a look at the SDA yearbooks shortly after 1929 that print the fundamental beliefs.
Dr. Glenn

I have not looked at the yearbook from 1929, I know that they there were some changes begining as early as 1932 or so but nothing as solid as around the time the book " questions on dcotrines".
I will look at the yearbook, thanks for the information.

Did you know that the early SDA's taught the wounding was healed on 3/14/1800? This would fit with Sister Whites statement that Christ could have returned a couple of years after the 1888 GC had the church accepted that message instead of rejecting it.

PEace and Grace
David

Re: Historic SDA? #75196
07/07/06 01:58 AM
07/07/06 01:58 AM
the1888message  Offline
USA
Bro David,

I have some questions for clarification.

First off, it looks like your list has many more points than the list of Pillars/Landmarks that EGW made. Is your list prescriptive (defining a set of beliefs that one must have in order to be "Historic") or descriptive (listing a set of beliefs that many Historics have in common, though some might not)?
The list that I gave is a list of things that I have learned from many studies. It is not intended to be a set of requirements to be a Historic Adventist. You should understand that Historic Adventist is not a denomination.
Quote:

They do not believe in the "trinity"!

Do they believe that the Father, Son and Holy Spirit are fully equal in authority?
Do they believe that there was ever a time that either Jesus or the Holy Spirit did not exist?
Do they believe that the Holy Spirit is a distinct individual/person from the Father and Son, having His own life independent of Theirs?
1) The Father, Son and Holy Ghost are equal when it comes to the plan of Salvation. Outside of that there is the Almighty Father, there Christ the Son of God and there is the Holy Spirit, which God sends and Christ also sends to do the Will of the Father,
2) If you read Jer 8, one finds that Christ is “brought forth” from the Father before there was anything.
3) All things came from the Father. Are they independent of God yes and no? That will depend on how you perceive the term of independent life.
Quote:

The three angels message ( it is not watered done as it is today)

How is today's different from the historic message?
There is no force in it today for one. They are weak on the denunciation of Sin and turning back to God. How about that we should turn away from the world and not hold hands with it? Where is the warning that there they should not be a part of the world. And they do not hit the catholic churches and the USA’s rule in the prophecies. There are other things as well.
Quote:

They did and will not join with the government (as is done today)

How do you define "join" in that statement?
The Religious liberty department has at the very least monthly meetings with the white house and members of congress. The Religious liberty department also has a liaison to the U.N. They are a part of the WCC, although they deny it. The fact is that for about 20 years B. B. Beach was the Secretary for the WCC’s faith and order commission. B.B. Beach also voted along with 120 other WCC members and the Catholic Church on the book Baptism, Eucharist and ministries, for starters
Quote:

They use the KJV (and not a modern perversion)

Does that leave EGW out, as she sometimes used the RSV (which, aside from the accuracy of the translation, touches upon the integrity of the manuscripts)?
The “accuracy” of that translation, have you not looked at the history of the people who wrote the book? You really should and you will find that yet again the catholic church had a very large rule in the writing of the book.
This is interesting, W. C. White, Sister White’s son, has stated that when Sister White did use the RV she would spend hours comparing the quotes to the KJV and would only use the quote from the RV if it did not change the meaning. In fact there has been a study showing that Sister White used less than 5% from the RV the rest are from the KJV.
The KJV was used by the Holy Spirit to bring this church up; this was well before the RV came about.
Quote:

They teach the straight truth and do not use "Greek" philosophy

In a nutshell, what's the difference between "straight" and "Greek"?
In a nutshell the “Greek” is the teachings from the ancient Greek philosophers, or should I say the mixing of the scriptures and these philosophies. Learning from their writings. Pay attention to what is being taught even in the SDA schools. The “straight” truth does not include teachings from the “Greek” philosophers. This is just one point.
Quote:

They believe that there is "new"light and that this "new" light will not change the old light in anyway.

Is there a mechanism to show when "old light" must be discarded as "old error" in favor of new truth?
Trying to trap me here??
Yes there was, like when they where first day keepers, or eating pork. If you understood this you would not have asked that question. The pillars of the early SDA church cannot be removed. Nor should we leave them for they are solid in the scriptures.
Quote:

We do not believe that the healing of the first beast of Revelation happened in 1927 or 1929 but instead we know it truly happened on March 14, 1800, as was taught by men like U. Smith (pre- 1880's) and S. N. Haskell and others.

How does this impact the rest of our prophetic understanding?
In what way does this point of doctrine affect our ability to perfect character?
Well, if the dates are incorrect then the time line is off, will that not make a difference?
It does not affect our character. However it does show yet another alteration to our old way marks, much like the catholic church has done over the years.
Quote:

If they are true Historic SDA's they do not keep feast days either, for this was not taught.

"But bade them farewell, saying, I must by all means keep this feast that cometh in Jerusalem: but I will return again unto you, if God will. And he sailed from Ephesus." (Acts 18:21)

"Paul greatly desired to reach Jerusalem before the Passover as he would thus have an opportunity to meet those who should come from all parts of the world to attend the feast." {AA 389.1}

"His plan to reach Jerusalem in time for the Passover services had to be given up, but he hoped to be there at Pentecost." {AA 390.2}

"At Philippi Paul tarried to keep the Passover." {AA 390.4}

These suggest that Paul kept the Passover and Pentecost. Is there something wrong with that practice?
They kept the Passover and Pentecost, it seems that you do not know the old feast days and what Christ has changed. Study the old feast days, and look at what and how they where changed in the NT. Christ changed the Passover, this is very clear. Did they keep the Passover and Pentecost in the same way as the Jews? No they did not. Study it.
Quote:

The Historic SDA's have not left the church that was founded. However, it is a fact that the modern domination has left what the church had all those years ago... They are LAODICEAN and they left the Philly church.

From this, I get the impression that "Historic SDA" believers and today's SDA denomination are not in the same organization. Is that right?

Right, they are not the same nor can they be. The denomination today is a corporation and is proud of the fact that they are “Laodicean”, I have even read articles in the “ministries magazine” where they claim that you can rejoice in apostasy!!! A Historic Adventist (should I say, as I understand it) would never stand for being a part (member) of such an organization. As an HSDA we are trying to find what the Philly church had and learn from them the truths that were taught.

If this seems a bit pointed, that is not my intention. I believe in the old way marks and they have been changed.

Study that is all that I can ask.

Peace and Grace

David

Re: Historic SDA? #75197
07/18/06 04:04 AM
07/18/06 04:04 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Bro David,

Some more questions and comments for clarification.

Quote:

2) If you read Jer 8, one finds that Christ is “brought forth” from the Father before there was anything.

This one threw me off, since I was expecting a yes/no answer. It seems you are saying that there WAS a time when Jesus did not exist. Is that right?

Quote:

3) All things came from the Father. Are they independent of God yes and no? That will depend on how you perceive the term of independent life.

Let me clarify. "Independent life" means that should the Father and Son cease to exist, for whatever reason, the Holy Spirit would continue to exist as a separate entity. With that definition, do you believe that the Holy Spirit has "independent life"?

Quote:

Trying to trap me here??
Yes there was, like when they where first day keepers, or eating pork. If you understood this you would not have asked that question. The pillars of the early SDA church cannot be removed. Nor should we leave them for they are solid in the scriptures.

No, not trying to trap you; just trying to figure out what you're saying. But you do seem a bit defensive for one claiming to stand on solid ground. Anyway...

It seems you misunderstood my question. Let me try again: Was there ever a time in Adventism when there was NO error to discard?

Or perhaps I misunderstood your answer. Do you mean to say that keeping the first day and eating pork do not constitute error?

Quote:

Study that is all that I can ask.

Just a heads-up. Just because someone does not agree with your conclusions does not mean that such a one has not studied. It may be that you are not completely free of error in your understanding of truth.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: Historic SDA? #75198
07/18/06 09:56 AM
07/18/06 09:56 AM
the1888message  Offline
USA
Bro. Arnold

“This one threw me off, since I was expecting a yes/no answer. It seems you are saying that there WAS a time when Jesus did not exist. Is that right?”
All I can say is what the word of God has to say on the matter, Proverbs 8 states that Christ was brought froth from the Father. I did not say it the Bible does.
“Let me clarify. "Independent life" means that should the Father and Son cease to exist, for whatever reason, the Holy Spirit would continue to exist as a separate entity. With that definition, do you believe that the Holy Spirit has "independent life"?”
I did not mention the Holy Spirit in my statement. From my understanding everything comes from God the Father and as creation is concerned it comes from the Father through Christ. The Holy Spirit is also of God and it is sent too men by both God and Christ. Can any of them “die” or “cease to exist” I would have to say no. The cross not with standing of course, for we know that Christ truly died and the world and nothing else ceased in its existence did it?
Does the Holy Spirit have independent life? I do not know, Christ called the Holy Spirit “him”, this could show that it would or could have independent life. However the Bible does not make it all that clear. So I cannot say one way or another other that is all I can say, other than he is the Holy Spirit of God.
“No, not trying to trap you; just trying to figure out what you're saying. But you do seem a bit defensive for one claiming to stand on solid ground. Anyway...

Glad to hear it, thanks. If I seem defensive, maybe I am. People have not always been straight up in their writing or questioning and have twisted what I have said. Or taken only part of what is said and made it seem as if I have said something totally different than what was said.
Make sense?
I do believe that I am on solid ground.
“It seems you misunderstood my question. Let me try again: Was there ever a time in Adventism when there was NO error to discard?”
There has been error and the Holy Spirit did in fact correct it.

”Or perhaps I misunderstood your answer. Do you mean to say that keeping the first day and eating pork do not constitute error?””
No they are error.
“Just a heads-up. Just because someone does not agree with your conclusions does not mean that such a one has not studied. It may be that you are not completely free of error in your understanding of truth.”

I may not be completely free in error, you are correct, all that I ask is what I ask of myself is for us all to study and come into unity as Christ prayed for.

Peace and Grace
Daivd

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!