HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,639
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 21
kland 6
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (dedication, Kevin H, Karen Y, TheophilusOne, 2 invisible), 3,182 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Are We Required to Tithe? #7918
04/18/01 12:44 PM
04/18/01 12:44 PM
M
me again  Offline OP
Posting New Member
USA
quote:
Posted by Mike Lowe:
What is tithe supposed to accomplish?

In the old covenant, it was supposed to support the priestly ministry, as they had no land inheritance with which to support themselves. The Levites only occupation was to be a priestly tribe. The other 11 tribes inherited lands, from which they could sustain themselves.

What was it supposed to accomplish, ultimately? Animal sacrifices to God for the remission of sin, thus paving the way for the ultimate and final sacrifice of Jesus, on whom we believe. God set up the whole Levitical system to ultimately save His elect (whomsoever is covered by the blood of the Lamb). In the old covenant, the tithe supported this ministry.

Now, I presume your question was geared primarily towards the new covenant. Won't you please enlighten us with your thoughts?

quote:
Posted by Mike Lowe:
Is it for the support of ministers?

The tithe is currently used to support ministers. Are you asking if this is scriptural?

quote:
Posted by Mike Lowe:
Or can it be used for any and all good deeds? What are offerings for?

In the scenario that I described (above - reference the black woman), do you think I was in violation of the scriptures by giving that woman 90% of all of my money?

Re: Are We Required to Tithe? #7919
04/18/01 08:53 PM
04/18/01 08:53 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Thank you, Me Again, for addressing my post so thorouoghly. That's very refreshing. It tells me that you are kind and considerate. Just as your willingness to be used of God to help others in dire straits indicates. God bless people like you.

Far be it for anyone to suggest giving that dear woman 90% of your money to help her in a time of need was wrong. God help me to imitate your example. Where would we be now if there were more people with a giving heart? Heaven?

What about tithe? I believe it is for the financial support of ministers same as in OT times. To use it for any other purpose undermines the whole system. I believe offerings should be used to help and bless others in need, as well as the local church budget and outreach projects.

Does that harmonize with anyone else?

Re: Are We Required to Tithe? #7920
04/18/01 09:17 PM
04/18/01 09:17 PM
M
me again  Offline OP
Posting New Member
USA
I wish I could take credit for giving that money, but I can't for several reasons:

1) I felt compelled to give her that money (based upon the scripture quoted earlier). Consequently, I felt like I was giving it to Jesus and was accomplishing a mission for Him. I had such joy, knowing that He could use me. The extreme joy that I had (knowing that He would actually use me) was payment enough.

2) I knew that the Lord would repay me in this lifetime and not just in heaven. So, it made it so easy to give to that woman. However, knowing that the Lord would repay me had no bearing on my motivation to give the money to her.

3) I knew that a greater reward awaits me in heaven, where "moths and rust" don't affect it.

Now, back to the topic:

Tithing in the New Covenant (Our current day and age): What Scriptures Support It?

[This message has been edited by me again (edited April 18, 2001).]

Re: Are We Required to Tithe? #7921
04/19/01 08:30 PM
04/19/01 08:30 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
How about 1 Cor 9:14 - "Even so hath the Lord ordained that they which preach the gospel should live of the gospel."

We are all called to preach the gospel according to our God-given gifts and talents. So, does that mean anybody and everybody can receive tithe? Or is this passage referring to people who work as full time ministers?

Re: Are We Required to Tithe? #7922
04/19/01 09:04 PM
04/19/01 09:04 PM
M
me again  Offline OP
Posting New Member
USA
Frankly, I'm not sure how to interpret that scripture.

When I was younger, I used to faithfully tithe to a "church." Recently, I have begin giving 10 to 20+ percent to needy people or ministries (as I see fit). I have a wonderful sence of freedom in doing this.

In the new covenant, we are the body of Christ. As such, we are future kings and priests in His kingdom. This is quite a statement, if you think about it. Currently, every born again believer is ordained and commissioned by God to preach the gospel of Jesus Christ. Your question: Does this entitle us to receive the tithe? I never really thought about this.

IMO, I think that in the new covenant, we have the scriptural freedom to render our monies and our services where we see fit. The Lord places His people in circumstances where we are able to help those in need and if we turn our backs in these situations, we are turning our backs on Jesus.

What do you think?

Re: Are We Required to Tithe? #7923
04/19/01 09:40 PM
04/19/01 09:40 PM
L
Linda Sutton  Offline
Charter Member
2500+ Member
USA
me again,

You keep talking about the "old covenant" and the "new covenant." The Bible is quite specific about them. The new convenant is really the old covenant.

The covenant is bascially obedience to God's law. "And he wrote upon the tables the words of the covenant, the ten commandments" Exodus 34:28. "And if ye shall despise my statutes, or if your soul abhor my judgments, so that ye will not do all my commandments, but that ye break my covenant:" Leviticus 26:15.

Israel tried to keep the law in its own power, and they failed. This is what is referred to as the "old covenant." "And he took the book of the covenant, and read in the audience of the people: and they said, All that the LORD hath said will we do, and be obedient." Exodus 24:7.

But the "new covenant" was there all along: "Behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah: Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt; which my covenant they brake, although I was an husband unto them, saith the LORD: But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the LORD, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people" Jeremiah 31:31-33.

This is the same covenant that Paul writes about: "For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people:" Hebrews 8:10

"This is the covenant that I will make with them after those days, saith the Lord, I will put my laws into their hearts, and in their minds will I write them;" Hebrews 10:16. This is called the "new covenant." It doesn't give us freedom to do what we want, or as was said of Israel: "every man did that which was right in his own eyes" Judges 21:25.

When Jesus was questioned: "Master, what shall I do to inherit eternal life? He said unto him, What is written in the law? how readest thou?" Luke 10:25, 26. In spiritual things, "IMO" doesn't count, the only standard is a "thus saith Lord."

------------------
For I know that my redeemer liveth,
and that he shall stand at the latter day upon the earth.

Linda

Re: Are We Required to Tithe? #7924
04/19/01 10:30 PM
04/19/01 10:30 PM
M
me again  Offline OP
Posting New Member
USA
Hi Linda,

Your usage of the sword of the spirit (the Word of God) is good !!!

quote:
Posted by Linda Sutton:
You keep talking about the "old covenant" and the "new covenant." The Bible is quite specific about them. The new convenant is really the old covenant.

I agree that the moral law, the 10 commandments, remain in effect. However, IMO, there is a difference between the old covenant and the new covenant.

quote:
Posted by Linda Sutton:
In spiritual things, "IMO" doesn't count, the only standard is a "thus saith Lord."
Amen! Subsequently, let's examine the scripture:

quote:
(Hebrews 8:6-8)

But now hath he obtained a more excellent ministry, by how much also he is the mediator of a better covenant, which was established upon better promises.

For if that first covenant had been faultless, then should no place have been sought for the second.

For finding fault with them, he saith, Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, when I will make a new covenant . . .

(for the sake of brevity, this is all I will post)

I would be willing to concede that Jesus is the capstone of the law e.g. the fulfillment of the requirements of the law.

quote:
Posted by Linda Sutton:
The covenant is bascially obedience to God's law. "And he wrote upon the tables the words of the covenant, the ten commandments" Exodus 34:28. "And if ye shall despise my statutes, or if your soul abhor my judgments, so that ye will not do all my commandments, but that ye break my covenant:" Leviticus 26:15.

Amen, I like this scripture. In your opinion, are we required to keep any of the Levitical requirements??? (I am not referring to the 10 commandments or the Sabbath).

quote:
Posted by Linda Sutton:
Israel tried to keep the law in its own power, and they failed. This is what is referred to as the "old covenant." "And he took the book of the covenant, and read in the audience of the people: and they said, All that the LORD hath said will we do, and be obedient." Exodus 24:7.

Amen.

quote:
Posted by Linda Sutton:
But the "new covenant" was there all along: "Behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah: Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt; which my covenant they brake, although I was an husband unto them, saith the LORD: But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the LORD, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people" Jeremiah 31:31-33.

In a sense, yes, the new covenant was there all along. In what sense? Let's look at someone in the Old Covenant who was saved by Jesus, who created the new covenant:

Abraham please God by faith and not by works alone. We know that Abraham did not fulfill 100% of the Levitical law. The only man who ever fulfilled 100% of the Levitical law was Jesus -- and evil men nailed Him to a cross. The point: The Lamb who's blood was shed from the foundation of the world (Luke 11:50) saved Abraham. In this sense, Jesus saved Abraham too. Jesus is interwoven throughout the old and new covenant.

quote:
Posted by Linda Sutton:
This is the same covenant that Paul writes about: "For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people:" Hebrews 8:10
Amen.

quote:
Posted by Linda Sutton:
"This is the covenant that I will make with them after those days, saith the Lord, I will put my laws into their hearts, and in their minds will I write them;" Hebrews 10:16. This is called the "new covenant." It doesn't give us freedom to do what we want, or as was said of Israel: "every man did that which was right in his own eyes" Judges 21:25.
In the days of Judges 21:25, they had no King in Israel. Instead of the people doing what the King thought was right in his own eyes, each man individually did that which he thought was right in his own eyes. I think that this is what this particular passage is referring to.

But, in reference to you saying:

quote:
Posted by Linda Sutton:
It doesn't give us freedom to do what we want . . .

This statement makes me ask for a second time: Are we required to keep any of the Levitical requirements??? (I am not referring to the 10 commandments or the Sabbath).

[This message has been edited so many times by me again (edited April 19, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by me again (edited April 19, 2001).]

Re: Are We Required to Tithe? #7925
04/20/01 01:42 AM
04/20/01 01:42 AM
M
me again  Offline OP
Posting New Member
USA
quote:
Posted by Harry Thick:
A church back east sent letters to all members that were behind in their tithe paying that said, "pay up or leave."

If you received that letter, what would you do ???

Re: Are We Required to Tithe? #7926
06/19/01 08:58 PM
06/19/01 08:58 PM
F
frenchmon  Offline
Posting New Member
???
"Posted by Harry Thick:
A church back east sent letters to all members that were behind in their tithe paying that said, "pay up or leave."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you received that letter, what would you do ???"

The first thing I would do would be to pray for the Pastor and the members...then I would find me and my family a health well balanced SDA church home...--frenchmon

Re: Are We Required to Tithe? #7927
06/21/01 01:42 AM
06/21/01 01:42 AM
Daryl  Offline

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
This leads me to ask another question.

Is it a test of fellowship?

How about this one:

Is it a test of our relationship with Jesus Christ?

Daryl

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/20/24 12:54 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/16/24 02:17 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by kland. 05/17/24 04:47 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!