HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,600
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 14
kland 9
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, ProdigalOne, Kevin H, Daryl, 1 invisible), 3,131 guests, and 20 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: What is the full meaning of communion? #7955
06/28/01 02:51 AM
06/28/01 02:51 AM
L
lisa  Offline
gwinn mich U.S.A.
I had to put in some info I just got...
Christ washed Judas' feet knowing full well what he was going to do. This example I believe forbids exclusivness at the Lords supper doesn't it? Open sin excludes the guilty such as in 1Chor 5:7 that was given to me. Beyond this non are to pass judgement. God has not left it with men to say who will present themselves on these occations. It made sense when I read it anyway:} clear as mud right:} I can't wait for Christs' return so these things won't be a question anymore:}.

Re: What is the full meaning of communion? #7956
06/29/01 03:05 AM
06/29/01 03:05 AM
Sarah Moss  Offline OP
Dedicated Member
Alberta, Canada
It grieves me to hear people telling others what they can or can't or should or shouldn't do in their personal relationship with God. God sees the heart and His is the only opinion we need to be concerned with. Each person has their own interpretation of right and wrong, but we need to go on the Biblical interpretation of right and wrong.

What, exactly, does the right of communion (bread and "wine") stand for? What does it mean? Is it, as some believe, partaking of the true flesh and blood of Jesus? or is it something deeper? Why do we partake of communion, beyond that Jesus asks us to? What was His purpose, what did He wish us to see, remember, feel when we partake of His Last Supper?

Re: What is the full meaning of communion? #7957
06/28/01 08:47 PM
06/28/01 08:47 PM
F
frenchmon  Offline
Posting New Member
???
Hi Lisa ...let me makes things a little clearer.

All we have to do is ask strangers are they in good standing with the Lord. If they say no, then we ask them not to take part in the sacrament until they are...they should examine themselves...

Paul writes:

"whosoever shall eat this bread, and drink this cup of the Lord, *unworthily*, shall be guilty of the body and blood of the Lord. But let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of that bread, and drink of that cup. *For he that eateth and drinketh unworthily, eateth and drinketh damnation to himself, not discerning the Lord’s body*. For this cause many are weak and sickly among you, and many sleep."

Lisa...Those who eat in a worthy manner do remember the Lord's death till He comes...they are nolonger of the law of Sin and death...those who eat unworthy are of the law sin and death and need a warning from us...therefore if they are not found worthy, we should not be happy to see them eat...they make a mokery of the sacrament...why would they want to eat it anyhow??? why would we, being a servant of Christ, not have love and compassion on the unworthy person wanting to eat...I believe with all my heart that a closed communion to those who are not worthy is best...

Blessings...--frenchmonn

Re: What is the full meaning of communion? #7958
06/28/01 08:56 PM
06/28/01 08:56 PM
F
frenchmon  Offline
Posting New Member
???
Mrs. Sarah Moss...you wrote:

"It grieves me to hear people telling others what they can or can't or should or shouldn't do in their personal relationship with God. God sees the heart and His is the only opinion we need to be concerned with. Each person has their own interpretation of right and wrong, but we need to go on the Biblical interpretation of right and wrong."

Sarah...I am sorry you feel that way...if what you say is true, then you show you have no love for your brother or sister...the bible has set forth teacher and preachers in the body of Christ to admonish each other...There is a time for kindly telling others in the body how to act a christians...

To partake of this service is to remember His death till He comes...The bread and wine of communion represents the blood and body of our Lord Jesus who was sacrificed for us upon Calvery.

To partake of this most holy service is to understand that we have one who died for us as our "Passover Lamb" who is saving us from our sins, and that His life is an offering for our sinful life and that we have enterd into the New covenant with God

The doctrine of "Transtibulation" is not true..--frenchmon

Re: What is the full meaning of communion? #7959
06/28/01 10:38 PM
06/28/01 10:38 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Lisa, excellent thought on Judas. Anytime a person comes to Jesus I get excited. As a pastor I used to be bothered by people who only attended church twice a year - Christmas and Easter. And I used to be bothered by people who skipped church when it was communion Sabbath.

But praise God I got past those stupid feelings. Now, thank you Jesus, I love it when people come to church - no matter what the reason. Because in their mind they are coming to Jesus. And that is a good beginning.

Personally I would never take it upon myself to ask someone if they thought they were worthy (or however you put it) to partake of the Lord's Supper. God forbid. The risk of offending that person would be worse than anything I can imagine.

I remember a very enjoyable communion during an agape feast at Weimar where I went to college. My partner and I walk around outside on a dusty dirt road until our feet were good and filthy. Then we washed each others feet. That was so meaningful for us.

God is so sweet and wonderful. I love Him with all my heart, and for that I thank Him deeply. I am encouraged to follow Him wherever He leads.

Chau!

Re: What is the full meaning of communion? #7960
06/30/01 04:38 AM
06/30/01 04:38 AM
F
frenchmon  Offline
Posting New Member
???
Mike...You may do greater harm to a stranger than just offending him if you are not concerned with his spiritual well being before taking of the Lords supper...

The bible says:

"Wherefore whosoever shall eat this bread, and drink this cup of the Lord, unworthily, shall be guilty of the body and blood of the Lord. But let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of that bread, and drink of that cup. For he that eateth and drinketh unworthily, eateth and drinketh damnation to himself, not discerning the Lord’s body. For this cause many are weak and sickly among you, and many sleep. For if we would judge ourselves, we should not be judged."

As a minister in the Adventist faith I don't expect you to agree with me publicly, but you may just be doing the stranger a favor by helping him to understand the importance of this sacrament, that he should examine himself first...and you are a watchmon in the kingdom of God as well...--frenchmon

Re: What is the full meaning of communion? #7961
07/01/01 02:55 AM
07/01/01 02:55 AM
L
lisa  Offline
gwinn mich U.S.A.
Thanks everyone for the encouragement once again. The thought about Judas was not my own I used someone elses thought because it made soo much sence:}
Sarrah, I think that the ceramoney does have deeper meaning, I'm gonna do some studying so I can comeback with something biblical to add.

Re: What is the full meaning of communion? #7962
07/01/01 08:49 PM
07/01/01 08:49 PM
Gerry Buck  Offline
Charter Member
Very Dedicated Member
Benton Harbor, Mi.
I can not speak for other churches, but, here in my home church, every pastor we have had since I have been here, prpares a presentation that includes the requirements for what is going on.
It is explained in language even I can understand, that, if there is anything between you and God, or you and a fellow believer or even a neighbor (unbeliever) that should be made right.
Then the significance of the communion meal is explained including the admonition by Paul to make sure it isn't eaten unwisely.

Let's look at the setting this admonition is presented in.
19 For there must be also heresies among you, that they which are approved may be made manifest among you.
20 When ye come together therefore into one place, this is not to eat the Lord’s supper.
21 For in eating every one taketh before other his own supper: and one is hungry, and another is drunken.
22 What? have ye not houses to eat and to drink in? or despise ye the church of God, and shame them that have not? What shall I say to you? shall I praise you in this? I praise you not.

23 ¶ For I have received of the Lord that which also I delivered unto you, That the Lord Jesus the same night in which he was betrayed took bread:
24 And when he had given thanks, he brake it, and said, Take, eat: this is my body, which is broken for you: this do in remembrance of me.
25 After the same manner also he took the cup, when he had supped, saying, This cup is the new testament in my blood: this do ye, as oft as ye drink it, in remembrance of me.
26 For as often as ye eat this bread, and drink this cup, ye do shew the Lord’s death till he come.
27 Wherefore whosoever shall eat this bread, and drink this cup of the Lord, unworthily, shall be guilty of the body and blood of the Lord.
28 But let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of that bread, and drink of that cup.
29 For he that eateth and drinketh unworthily, eateth and drinketh damnation to himself, not discerning the Lord’s body.
30 For this cause many are weak and sickly among you, and many sleep.
31 For if we would judge ourselves, we should not be judged.
They had a problem with some bringing in their own, some had and others did not.
From the sounds of it, it was being turned into a big feast, a party if you will.
They had lost the significance of what it was to be about.
Instead of remembering His death, they were eating and drinking in a different manner.
We have an example in Christ, He knew Judas heart, yet did not forbid him the same as He did for and to the others.
It is not our duty to question the heart of others, we need to make sure WE are partaking worthily of it.
Paul said in verse 28 28 But let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of that bread, and drink of that cup.
Examine ourselves, don't worry about the other, we have no right to question the heart condition of another.
Jesus knew the heart condition of Judas, yet He let him participate.
He refused no one that came.
If He didn't refuse them, how dare we?

------------------
Examine me, O LORD, and prove me: try my reins and my heart. Ps.26:2
It is better to trust in the LORD than to put confidence in men.Ps.118:8
Had to correct some spelling.

[This message has been edited by Gerry Buck (edited July 01, 2001).]

Re: What is the full meaning of communion? #7963
07/03/01 07:27 PM
07/03/01 07:27 PM
Sarah Moss  Offline OP
Dedicated Member
Alberta, Canada
quote:
Originally posted by frenchmon:
"whosoever shall eat this bread, and drink this cup of the Lord, *unworthily*, shall be guilty of the body and blood of the Lord. But let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of that bread, and drink of that cup. *For he that eateth and drinketh unworthily, eateth and drinketh damnation to himself, not discerning the Lord’s body*. For this cause many are weak and sickly among you, and many sleep."

I just wanted to emphasize that we are to examine ourselves and not to be worrying about what others are doing. If I am running around making sure that everyone else is ready to partake of the Lord's supper, I am not preparing nor examining myself. Some things we can not and are not to interfere with. We are called to rebuke our neighbours in a loving manner, as Christ would, but we are not called to judge their relationship. I am at a different place than you, or Lisa, or Daryl are at, I cannot judge where you stand with the Lord, any more than you can judge me. If I have an issue with a brother or sister, then I have the onus to approach them and bring it to their attention, hopefully to resolve it as set out in Matthew 18. As has been pointed out here, Jesus knew Judas' heart and still allowed him to partake of the Last Supper - only hours before the betrayal. We cannot look into a person's heart, that is the sole work of Jesus.

------------------
Sarah Moss
*Prayer Changes Things!*

Re: What is the full meaning of communion? #7964
07/03/01 07:34 PM
07/03/01 07:34 PM
Sarah Moss  Offline OP
Dedicated Member
Alberta, Canada
I agree, transtibulation is not true, but what then is the whole truth about communion? What is it's full meaning? Why do we partake of it? What is it to remind us of? How is your own heart when you partake?

I would like to see a focus on the meaning of the communion service. Perhaps a separate thread could be started respecting our duty to rebuke each other as Christian brothers and sisters, if you wish to continue that discussion. Thank you.

------------------
Sarah Moss
*Prayer Changes Things!*

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/28/24 11:09 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 04/28/24 09:29 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!