HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,600
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 14
kland 9
Daryl 3
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, ProdigalOne, Kevin H, Daryl, 1 invisible), 2,960 guests, and 19 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 19 of 34 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 33 34
Re: Is there a Biblical/Divine calendar? [Re: Rosangela] #81111
11/14/06 02:30 AM
11/14/06 02:30 AM
C
Charity  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2020

4500+ Member
USA
Originally Posted By: Rosangela
Mark,

The 2300-year prophecy has to do with solar years, and it's not necessary to synchronize anything. The solar and lunar calendars are periodically synchronized and, in a long succession of years, are equivalent. It's very simple. From the middle of the 70th week there are 486.5 solar years up to the starting point and 1813.5 years up to the finishing point. Since 0.5 solars years are six months, a month of April in 31 AD necessarily requires a month of October both at the beginning and at the end of the prophetic period. Since the exact initial date is unknown, and you question the date which marks the middle of the 70th week, then let's take the final date. From October 23, 1844, just go back 1813.5 years and you will arrive at April 26, 31 AD - which, by the way, is the 14th/15th day of the lunar month. And from there you go back another 486.5 years and arrive at October 29, 457 BC - which, by the way, is the 10th day of the lunar month. So the scheme is

Tishri 10 ---- Nisan 14/15 ---- Tishri 10

Which makes perfect sense. The middle point of the 70th week is Passover/Unleavened Bread, and the prophecy begins and ends on a Day of Atonement. We don’t know when Artaxerxes's decree was issued, but when could we say it went into effect? First, Tishri 10 is the day when the sanctuary is cleansed, and the prophecy of the 2300 evenings and mornings has to do with the cleansing of the sanctuary. Second, Tishri 10 was the day when the Jubilee began (Lev. 23:8,9), and the seventy weeks of Daniel 9 are equivalent to 10 jubilees.
7 x 7 years = 49 years
490 : 49 = 10 jubilees.

This observation is interesting too isn't it. You mentioned recently that the solar and lunar cycles align in the 2300 days. Here you also say the passover at the crucifixtion also aligns - both the solar and lunar. Have you tried to figure out why or what that might mean. The alignment occurs every 10 Jubilees less 3.5 years. Hmmm....

Last edited by Mark Shipowick; 11/14/06 02:33 AM.
Re: Is there a Biblical/Divine calendar? [Re: Rosangela] #81176
11/15/06 03:28 AM
11/15/06 03:28 AM
C
Charity  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2020

4500+ Member
USA
Originally Posted By: Rosangela
Mark,

If you go to the Julian Day Converter of the U.S. Naval Observatory and type October 23, 1844 (for those who haven’t read Juarez’s book: this date fell on the most part of October 23 in Jerusalem, but on the most part of October 22 in the U.S., owing to the difference in time zone) 13:00 hr UT (1 pm, equivalent to 3 pm in Jerusalem, the hour of the evening sacrifice, which closed the ceremonies of the day of atonement), you obtain the julian day 2394863.04167. Subtracting 1813.5 years from this, or 662366.7297 days (1813.5 x 365.2422), we obtain the julian day 1732496.31197. Now type this in the box “julian date” and choose “date” instead of “JD”. You obtain April 26, 31 AD, 19:29 hr UT (5:30pm in Jerusalem), that is, Thursday evening, at the time of the Passover supper, which began at sunset.

I have two questions about your calculation. The Julian day count does deal with the skipped days in 1582? Also, the adjutment for the time difference for the evening of April 26th would be to add two hour so that it would be 9:30 PM in Jerusalem?

Regarding the AB, I doubt now whether the solar part of the AB calendar was used by the ancient Jews to keep the feasts. The Qumran community used the solar part, but I have to say that there is more scriptural support of the lunar calculation of them. While I was looking into the tension between John and the synoptic gospels and some of Ellen White’s statements on the Thursday vs. Friday Passover, I thought a possible solution was the solar part of the AB, but I don’t think so. The feasts are lunar.

I think the answer to the Thursday vs. Friday Passover is that both were Passover days. It would have been difficult to slaughter and apply the blood of the lamb to the altar for tens of thousands of times in the space of a few hours in a relatively small area of the inner court. On the other hand, there is the provision that the lambs were set aside a few days early. Perhaps they could have been offered on any of the following days up to the afternoon of the 14th. There are several precedence’s for making allowances like that in scripture.

Re: Is there a Biblical/Divine calendar? [Re: Charity] #81183
11/15/06 01:22 PM
11/15/06 01:22 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
I have two questions about your calculation. The Julian day count does deal with the skipped days in 1582?

Yes.

Quote:
Also, the adjutment for the time difference for the evening of April 26th would be to add two hour so that it would be 9:30 PM in Jerusalem?

Yes, it seems I made a mistake in the difference of time zone. I would say it would be risky to try to determine hours and minutes with absolute precision in such a long span of years, but the correspondence we seem to obtain is that, taking approximately the hour of the evening sacrifice in 1844 and going back 1813.5 years, we arrive at approximately the hour of the Passover supper, which began at sunset and extended to the first hours of Nisan 15.
It's a pity Juarez hasn't been participating here, since he is the expert in astronomy who can give you informed answers. I'm not sure I've given you his e-mail address. In case I didn't and you want to contact him directly, please try juarezroliveira@terra.com.br

Re: Is there a Biblical/Divine calendar? [Re: Rosangela] #81307
11/18/06 07:50 PM
11/18/06 07:50 PM
C
Charity  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2020

4500+ Member
USA
I'm waiting to hear back from Juarez. I hope he contibutes here. He seems knowledgable in astronomy.

You raised a valid objection not long ago that the AB Calendar is of little use to Adventists unless it can be shown to support scriptural chronology, especially the twenty three hundred day prophecy. You noted that the AB can’t do that unless we know how it is intercalated. Below I’ll look into how to put it to use now and in scripture.

There are two background facts on the intercalation issue that I’ve noted earlier:

1) Juarez in his manuscript, CHRONOLOGICAL STUDIES RELATED TO DANIEL 8:14 AND 9:24-27, at page 91 and 92 points out that the ancient Jews marked the lunar months from the first new moon after the vernal equinox. This is in contrast to the modern Jews who mark the year from the new moon closest to the equinox rather than after it. The ancient practise tells us that the modern Jewish calendar is not the same as the ancient and it is evidence of the possible use of the AB Calendar in ancient Israel.
2) VanderKam notes in his book, Calendars in the Dead Sea Scrolls, at page 102 (ebook version) that Julius Africanus reported that the ancient Jews and Greeks both intercalated three months in eight years. This is probably the strongest piece of evidence I’ve encountered so far that the Jews even of the second Temple period – that is, in Christ’s day – used the AB Calendar rather than the rabbinic calendar in use today which intercalates 7 months in 19 years. Eusebius Demonstration of the Gospel viii.2, 54.

The above facts give us some historical data that explains how the AB is intercalated.

Last edited by Mark Shipowick; 11/18/06 07:56 PM.
Re: Is there a Biblical/Divine calendar? [Re: Charity] #81308
11/18/06 08:06 PM
11/18/06 08:06 PM
C
Charity  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2020

4500+ Member
USA
I’ll look now at the text of the AB calendar itself. The description begins by saying that the calendar spans the whole of human history. In contrast to the Mosaic law which was temporary, this calendar is binding “to all the years of the world and unto eternity, till the new creation is accomplished which endureth till eternity.” Enoch 72:1, 2.

The primary laws of the calendar are 1) that the years are determined by the sun 2) that the solar year has 364 days 3) that the solar months begins at the vernal equinox and 4) that the 12 solar months all have 30 days so that the additional 4 days are counted at the end of the year. So far, all of this harmonizes with the calendar data in the flood account in Genesis 7 and 8.

The moon is secondary in the AB Calendar, but only in the sense that the sun determines the start of the lunar year. The text tells us that the moon falls behind the sun by 30 days in 3 years, 50 in five etc., showing that the standard year is solar and that the beginning of the lunar year is determined by the sun. So the intercalation method based on historical data and the text is that every third, fifth and eighth years a lunar month is added and at the end of the eighth year the lunar and solar cycles are realigned, the lunar by adding about two days to bring it back to the observed new moon and the solar by adding either one or two weeks to realign it with the equinox.

Regarding the details of the solar intercalation, the calendar is silent about intercalating beyond the eight year period. From that we infer that realigning the solar part by actual observation was mandatory every eight year cycle similar to the mandatory monthly observations of the Karaites but 99 percent less frequently. And, although the 8 year observation is manditory there is no rule against precalculation of longer periods. If they were accurate projections, the observed 8th equinox would agree with the predicted.

Re: Is there a Biblical/Divine calendar? [Re: Charity] #81310
11/18/06 08:37 PM
11/18/06 08:37 PM
C
Charity  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2020

4500+ Member
USA
With the above information the calendar could be used today. The only instrument needed would be a simple tool to measure the altitude of the sun - a sextant is the modern name of the tool I think.

The AB Calendar helps to perserve the weekly cycle more easily than modern calendars by specifying a solar year of exactly 52 weeks.

Regarding intercalation, over the eight year solar cycle if the first year of the cycle happened to fall on the first day of the week, a Sunday, this would mean that by the end of the cycle the year would end about 12 days before the first day of the nineth equinox. How should this be intercalated, with two full weeks or with one? The AB doesn't say but only infers that as much time is added as is necessary to make the new year begin at or after the equinox, the principle being that the new year cannot start before the days start to exceed the length of the night.

Any comments? Next I'll test my intercalation method against the known dates of the 2300 days and other scripture. I'm not sure how long that will take before I post again.

Re: Is there a Biblical/Divine calendar? [Re: Charity] #81622
11/25/06 06:01 PM
11/25/06 06:01 PM
C
Charity  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2020

4500+ Member
USA
For reference, here is the intercalation passage in the Astonomical Book.
Quote:

Thus I saw their position - how the moons rose and the sun set in those days. And if five years are added together the sun has an overplus of thirty days, and all the days which accrue to it for one of those five years, when they are full, amount to 364 days. And the overplus of the sun and of the stars amounts to six days: in 5 years 6 days every year come to 30 days: and the moon falls behind the sun and stars to the number of 30 days. And the sun and the stars bring in all the years exactly, so that they do not advance or delay their position by a single day unto eternity; but complete the years with perfect justice in 364 days. In 3 years there are 1,092 days, and in 5 years 1,820 days, so that in 8 years there are 2,912 days. For the moon alone the days amount in 3 years to 1,062 days, and in 5 years she falls 50 days behind: [i.e. to the sum (of 1,770) there is 5 to be added (1,000 and) 62 days.] And in 5 years there are 1,770 days, so that for the moon the days 6 in 8 years amount to 2,832 days. [For in 8 years she falls behind to the amount of 80 days], all the days she falls behind in 8 years are 80. And the year is accurately completed in conformity with their world-stations and the stations of the sun, which rise from the portals through which it (the sun) rises and sets 30 days. I Enoch 74:10-17

Earlier in the thread I noted that the base year of the AB Calendar is the 360 day year.

Quote:
Regarding the 360 day year in the AB calendar, VanderKam quotes I Enoch 75:1-2:

1 And the leaders of the heads of the thousands, who are placed over the whole creation and over all the stars, have also to do with the four intercalary days, being inseparable from their office, according to the reckoning of the year, and these render service on the four days which are not 2 reckoned in the reckoning of the year.

Then he states:
Quote:

That is, the four days that are the distinctive trait of the schematic solar calendar in I Enoch are additional in some sense; the base year to which they are added at fixed intervals (in months 3, 6, 9 and 12)is one of 360 days. Pages 73 of the ebook version of ‘Calendars in the Dead Sea Scrolls, James C. VanderKam.

This passage from chapter 75 is corroborated by the intercalation rules in chapter 74 quoted above. In the first part of the passage it says the days of the sun in the year exceed the days of the moon by six days per year. Since the lunar year in this calendar has 354 days, this passage also confirms that the base solar year is 360 days. (354 + 6 = 360) Notice that the same passage also confirms the longer 364 day solar year. My conclusion is that AB calendar is based on the 360 day year and that it marks time on the solar side with the 364 day cycle and on the lunar side with the 354 day cycle and these two cycle are intercalated according to the above passage in the third, fifth and eighth years and intercalated and realigned in the eighth.

I hope to have material on the application of the calendar to the 2300 days soon.

Re: Is there a Biblical/Divine calendar? [Re: Charity] #81705
11/27/06 11:52 AM
11/27/06 11:52 AM
C
Charity  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2020

4500+ Member
USA
Rosangela, what is the average spring date for the Karaites for the New Year and the Passover from historical records. If the New Year is occasionally before the equinox this is evidence that the ancient Jews did not follow Karaite reckoning. When I was young we had many sever winters. My memory of the climate is that it’s only been in the last 40 years, maybe less, that there’s been a noticeable change. Have you consulted with a meteorologist who’s studied climate change on the probability of having no early springs?

If the Karaite New Year is often before the equinox then we have evidence from the records that Juarez cites that the Karaite calendar was not used in bible times. Consulting a meteorologist would help confirm if it is reasonable to assume late springs anciently. There may be evidence that could suggest what the weather in that time was actually like. At a minimum we can compare the Karaite New Years of the first half of the 20th century before global warming with the equinox.

Re: Is there a Biblical/Divine calendar? [Re: Charity] #81782
11/28/06 12:28 PM
11/28/06 12:28 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Mark,

The are no historical records, but just scattered information. More details here:

http://www.pickle-publishing.com/papers/karaite-reckoning-1844.htm

After the karaites abandoned the observational method in the 1800's, they continued to follow the rabbanite 19-year cycle until the 1990's, when Nehemiah Gordon started to observe again the barley crops.

Re: Is there a Biblical/Divine calendar? [Re: Rosangela] #81853
11/29/06 08:24 PM
11/29/06 08:24 PM
C
Charity  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2020

4500+ Member
USA
I posted some of Juarez's material regarding the ancient custom. He relied on it so it was more than scattered information - to him it was evidence. At Bob's site he quote's an author that says the harvest was normally a month later so that most Jews can't offer the waive shief because they celebrate it too early, but the same author also says the harvest could have been before the equinox in a warm year.

Page 19 of 34 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 33 34

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/28/24 11:09 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 04/28/24 09:29 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!