HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,619
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 21
kland 9
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, Nadi, 2 invisible), 3,429 guests, and 16 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 13 14
Who is in control - God or Satan? #8050
06/11/01 09:20 PM
06/11/01 09:20 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
I once heard a Christian say - Times are tough, but thank God things aren't worse. And I had to ask myself - Is that the way God wants us to cope with the stuff of life?

What do you think? Who is in control - God or Satan? Why do bad things happen? But more importantly, who is responsible? Does God allow the Devil to do His dirty work? Or is Satan an out of control rouge angel who God is having a hard time keeping up with? What is the Jesus way to cope with trouble in our lives? Should we thank God things aren't worse? Or is there a better way?

Re: Who is in control - God or Satan? #8051
06/12/01 02:02 AM
06/12/01 02:02 AM
Daryl  Offline

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
I believe the following tells us who is in control:

quote:

1 John 4:4 "Ye are of God, little children, and have overcome them: because greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world."

Daryl

Re: Who is in control - God or Satan? #8052
11/03/01 12:28 AM
11/03/01 12:28 AM
Daryl  Offline

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
Now that we know who the greater power is and that He is also in control, why is it that it often seems that He is not in control?

Daryl

Re: Who is in control - God or Satan? #8053
11/13/01 06:13 AM
11/13/01 06:13 AM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
When it seems like God is not in control the fault rests with our perception of what it looks like when God is in control. If I'm reading Job correctly, or the story of Jesus, God is in control even (or especially) when things are apparently out of control. Does that make sense?

If God is not in control when bad things happen to good people - then who is? the Devil? I hope not. If God is ever not in control then Satan's accusations about Him would be true. Right? And since that can't be true, then we are correct in believing that God is in control when He allows bad things to happen.

How do you understand Eph 5:20 and 1 Thes 5:18? In the KJV.

Re: Who is in control - God or Satan? #8054
11/20/01 06:37 AM
11/20/01 06:37 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered

A Big Western "Howdy" to Mike!

May I politely suggest that you may have used the wrong word in your first question?

You said: "Is that the way God wants us to COPE with the stuff of life?"

Does God even want us to "cope?"

Is "cope" the Word He would use?

I see God as using words like "overcome."

In other words; it has been my personal experience that God has not always removed some mountain of difficulty; but rather, has given me the wherewithal to climb to the top of the mountain, and down to the green valley on the other side.

(yes, sometimes the grass is greener on the other side)

Also, on this same note; God sometimes sees fit to have us become stronger "grow in grace," (2 Pet.3:18), by the very storm we are caught in...like the eagle, when riding on the stormy winds of the mountain passes near Calgary - he harnesses the strength of the storm to soar to the calm expanses above.

"They that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eageles."

"Coping" sounds like something Freud would use, and I certainly don't mean anything personal; but he did a lot of cocaine. Perhaps that is why he "coped."

Am I making any sense yet?

------------------
"...you should earnestly contend for the faith which was once delivered unto the saints." Jude 3

DavidTBattler

Re: Who is in control - God or Satan? #8055
11/20/01 07:29 PM
11/20/01 07:29 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
David, thank you for those encouraging words. Does that mean I should stop using cocaine if I really want to experience the power of God during the tuff times? Ha!

Isn't there a song that says something about turning stumbling blocks into stepping stones? Sort of goes along with your wind on eagle wings. Thank you Jesus.

So, are we supposed to thank God "for" or "in" the tuff times? or both? If I'm reading Eph 5:20 and 1 Thes 5:18 correctly it would seem that both is the best answer.

Eph 5:20 Giving thanks always FOR all things unto God and the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ;

1 Thes 5:18 IN every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.

Re: Who is in control - God or Satan? #8056
11/20/01 09:24 PM
11/20/01 09:24 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered

I forgot to comment on those two verses Mike..

I have had some experiences for which I could only thank God for, years after the fact.

Those are the times when in order to apply these two verses; I had to think of something else to be thankful for, in the midst of whatever I was going through.

For instance; when I was seriously burned over 40% of my body; would God really expect me to me thankful for that, at the time I was experiencing the worst of it?

I don't think so...

Years later tho, I was able to look back and say, "Thankyou Jesus for that experience...things really do work for good..."

I think when we are in a really drastic trial, God expects us to come to Him just as we are; emotions and all. He doesn't want a phoney "holy roller," coming to him and saying "everything is just lovely Lord! Thankyou for these burns! I am enjoying them very much! Praise God from whom the blessings flow!"

------------------
"...you should earnestly contend for the faith which was once delivered unto the saints." Jude 3

DavidTBattler

Re: Who is in control - God or Satan? #8057
11/20/01 09:35 PM
11/20/01 09:35 PM
Daryl  Offline

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
Yes, God is definitely in control

Giving thanks for everything is easily said from those references, but not so easily done. I am not saying not done, just not so easily done.

How easy is it to give thanks for the untimely death of a loved one, such as in the deaths surrounding September 11th?

Maybe the Insurance Companies are correct when they say their policy doesn't include acts of God in the sense that God being in control permits them to happen.

Daryl

[This message has been edited by Daryl Fawcett (edited November 20, 2001).]

Re: Who is in control - God or Satan? #8058
11/22/01 03:02 AM
11/22/01 03:02 AM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
While it is true it is difficult to praise and thank God "for" all things while in the midst of some terrible trajedy, nevertheless it is apparently God's goal for us. Thus it would seem that we should strive to make it a habit to respond in accordance with the Bible promises whhen confronted with tuff times.

Obviously this divine response to difficult situations can be a reality in our lives only as we stay connected to Jesus, as we keep our eyes on Jesus, and as we trust Jesus to fulfill His promises in our daily experiences.

You might remember from previous posts in other threads where I talked about losing my daughter at the tender age of 10 to a head injury sustained during a fall. It was 7 years ago this month. It is probably the most challenging trial I have to live with. Yet through it all God has blessed me with peace and pain.

I know that when I get to heaven and my daughter and I will watch the rerun together that both of us will agree that considering how everyone and everything was touched by her untimely passing that Jesus made the best decision regarding her life by not intervening to send His angels to bear her up in their hands.

If it makes sense to Jesus now, and it will make sense to me then, then by the grace of God I can by faith make of sense of it today! even though I can't explain it right now. But that's the beauty of faith. Thank you Jesus.

But make no mistake, with my peace of mind comes the gift of pain. My heart often hurts. I miss my precious baby girl terribly. I have come to realize that peace and pain are maternal twins. They are rarely ever seen apart.

But in spite of this I can thank God for allowing my daughter to go to her rest, knowing that His pain is a million times more acute than mine. He was the One who allowed it to happen knowing that it was within His power to prevent her death.

Also I am comforted with the truth knowing that my daughters death wasn't the result of Satan's capricious, unregulated evil plot to just kill my baby. No, no!! God is in control - not Satan, not mankind, not death, not sin. Jesus allowed my sweet baby to die prematurely for reasons that makes sense to Him. And that soothes my aching soul.

Re: Who is in control - God or Satan? #8059
07/12/05 02:21 PM
07/12/05 02:21 PM
Ikan  Offline
Very Dedicated Member
Plowing
I was tooling around in the old posts and found this.

It helps to gain insights as to why people see God as having absolute control when people go through pain.

As I had a daughter raped then killed: I can understand your pain, MM....

Yet and still, I cannot see that Satan is a partner with God, a tool of God's or a reluctant servant even.

I know that Satan killed my daughter, not God. Jesus is not responsible, as my daughter was not young, not saved, and not interested. She spurned God's protection and therefore walked outside of the "Castle" of His protection.

Accidental and young deaths? Ask Sister White about her young son.
Ask hundreds of saved folks who died victims of war, plagues and starvation...hopefully they do not tell themselves that He is responsible.

[ July 12, 2005, 08:37 PM: Message edited by: Phil N. D'blanc ]

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 13 14

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/30/24 10:34 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:07 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!