HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,596
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 14
kland 9
Daryl 3
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
3 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, 1 invisible), 3,313 guests, and 14 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 6 of 51 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 50 51
Re: Christian Perfection of Character - what and how. [Re: asygo] #80610
11/03/06 05:01 PM
11/03/06 05:01 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
I was reading A New Life (a SOP compilation) and came across this powerful paragraph:

NL 25
Christ made an end of sin, bearing its heavy curse in His own body on the tree, and He hath taken away the curse from all those who believe in Him as a personal Saviour. He makes an end of the controlling power of sin in the heart, and the life and character of the believer testify to the genuine character of the grace of Christ. (NL 25)

When does Jesus do this for us? Before or after we are born again? Does He gradually make an end of the controlling power of sin in our heart? Or, does He do it immediately, the instant we complete the "process" of conversion, the second we are truly converted and born again?

DA 172
A person may not be able to tell the exact time or place, or to trace all the circumstances in the process of conversion; but this does not prove him to be unconverted. ... Suddenly, as the Spirit comes with more direct appeal, the soul gladly surrenders itself to Jesus. By many this is called sudden conversion; but it is the result of long wooing by the Spirit of God,-- a patient, protracted process. {DA 172.3}

Re: Christian Perfection of Character - what and how. [Re: Mountain Man] #80624
11/03/06 07:00 PM
11/03/06 07:00 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Being born again means being converted, which points to a transformation. The converted person becomes a new creature, choosing to live for Christ instead of self. However, this doesn't mean that there aren't things to learn, or areas of one character of which one is unaware, that the Holy Spirit has yet to reveal. Of course, it wouldn't be possible to reveal all of our sin at once, or even more than a minascule part of it; there's simply to much. So the Holy Spirit reveals certain representative sins, and, as we are willing to cooperate with Him, reveals more and more as we grow in grace.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Christian Perfection of Character - what and how. [Re: Tom] #80631
11/03/06 11:49 PM
11/03/06 11:49 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, your explanation of post-conversion growth and sanctification assumes the Holy Spirit leaves us in ignorance and in sin. This implies that the Holy spirit is the author of unrevealed, unconquered sinful thoughts, feelings, motives, and behaviours.

Re: Christian Perfection of Character - what and how. [Re: Mountain Man] #80643
11/04/06 03:28 AM
11/04/06 03:28 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
MM: What? Your comment makes no sense to me. You must have misunderstood what I said. Please explain your thinking, or ask me for clarification on what I wrote, because there is a huge disconnect between what I was thinking when I wrote what I did and what you have written.

The Holy Spirit is in no way slack in His work, but shows us things a little at a time because of our shortcomings, not His!

Happy Sabbath.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Christian Perfection of Character - what and how. [Re: Tom] #80665
11/04/06 03:38 PM
11/04/06 03:38 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Okay, let’s take what you wrote and look at each point:

TE: Being born again means being converted, which points to a transformation. The converted person becomes a new creature, choosing to live for Christ instead of self.

MM: I agree.

TE: However, this doesn't mean that there aren't things to learn, or areas of one character of which one is unaware, that the Holy Spirit has yet to reveal.

MM: I disagree. The Holy Spirit does not purposely withhold the truth from us because He thinks we are incapable of handling it. Character is the result of doing the same thing over and over and over again until it becomes an ingrained habit. No one can be unaware of such a thing, especially not someone who is walking in the Spirit and mind of the new man.

TE: Of course, it wouldn't be possible to reveal all of our sin at once, or even more than a minascule part of it; there's simply to much.

MM: I disagree. You are implying that we are born again with the majority of our sinful defective traits of character of intact. It is during the “patient, protracted process” of converting that the Holy Spirit gently reveals our defective traits of character. He doesn’t leave one single sinful habit unrevealed to be discovered later on after we are born again.

TE: So the Holy Spirit reveals certain representative sins, and, as we are willing to cooperate with Him, reveals more and more as we grow in grace.

MM: I disagree. The Holy Spirit does not intentionally keep us in the dark regarding certain unrevealed sinful habits of character. He doesn’t standby and allow us to go on sinning ignorantly until He decides we are ready to see the truth about our unknown sinful traits of character. Again, character is the result of cherished and repetitious thoughts and feelings or words or behaviour. No one is ignorant of how they think and feel and behave on a normal and regular basis.

According to the following inspired insight it does not require years of keeping us in the dark, years of allowing us to cherish and repeat certain sinful thoughts and words and actions, until the Holy Spirit thinks we are ready to know the truth about them, until He thinks we are ready to live without them.

SC 29
One ray of the glory of God, one gleam of the purity of Christ, penetrating the soul, makes every spot of defilement painfully distinct, and lays bare the deformity and defects of the human character. It makes apparent the unhallowed desires, the infidelity of the heart, the impurity of the lips. The sinner's acts of disloyalty in making void the law of God, are exposed to his sight, and his spirit is stricken and afflicted under the searching influence of the Spirit of God. He loathes himself as he views the pure, spotless character of Christ. {SC 29.1}

Re: Christian Perfection of Character - what and how. [Re: Mountain Man] #80721
11/05/06 03:58 PM
11/05/06 03:58 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
In the following passage when does the miracle of conversion and rebirth happen? Is it before or after the sin-sick soul falls, all helpless and broken, upon the Rock, Jesus Christ?

LHU 273
The heart must first accept the truth as it is in Jesus. This is the foundation of true religion. Conviction of sin then begins to be felt; the sin-sick soul, feeling his need of a physician, comes to Jesus of Nazareth for pardon. Taking up the warfare against the enemy, he looks to Jesus for strength to resist temptation. He watches unto prayer, and searches the Scriptures. The truths of the Bible are seen in a new and intensely interesting light, and the Spirit of God opens to him their solemn importance. He studies the life of Christ, and the more clearly he discerns the spotless purity of the Saviour's character, the less confidence he has in his own goodness; the more steadily and closely he views Jesus, the less he discovers of perfection in himself. His self-righteousness disappears, and he falls, all helpless and broken, upon the Rock, Christ Jesus. He will be sorely pressed by the tempter, and at times may have feelings of discouragement, and be tempted to think that God will not accept him; but, taking God at His word, and pleading His sure promises, he presses through the darkness into the clear sunlight of Christ's love. {LHU 273.2}

It should be obvious that the sin-sick soul in this passage did not complete the “patient, protracted process” of conversion until the instant he fell upon the Rock and was broken. But what about all the religious things he did before he was broken and converted? Can someone who is not born again do such thing? Or, is this what happens to sinners during the “patient, protracted process” leading up to their conversion?

Please notice how she uses the expression “fall upon the Rock” in the context of rebirth and conversion in the following quotes. Again, it should be obvious that the sinner in the LHU 273 text quoted above was not converted, in spite of all the religious things he was doing, until the moment he fell upon the Rock and was broken. Does anyone else agree?

DA 599
To those who believe, Christ is the sure foundation. These are they who fall upon the Rock and are broken. Submission to Christ and faith in Him are here represented. To fall upon the Rock and be broken is to give up our self-righteousness and to go to Christ with the humility of a child, repenting of our transgressions, and believing in His forgiving love. And so also it is by faith and obedience that we build on Christ as our foundation. {DA 599.3}

OHC 37
Do not merely assent to the truth, and fail to be a doer of the words of Christ. The truth must be applied to self; it must bring men and women who receive it to the Rock, that they may fall upon the Rock and be broken. Then Jesus can mold and fashion their characters after His own divine character. {OHC 37.5}

5T 518
And what has caused this alarming condition? Many have accepted the theory of the truth who have had no true conversion. I know whereof I speak. There are few who feel true sorrow for sin, who have deep, pungent convictions of the depravity of the unregenerate nature. The heart of stone is not exchanged for a heart of flesh. Few are willing to fall upon the Rock and be broken. {5T 218.2}

TM80
Those who are now first, who have been untrue to the cause of God, will soon be last, unless they repent. Unless they speedily fall upon the Rock and be broken, and be born again, the spirit that has been cherished will continue to be cherished. Mercy's sweet voice will not be recognized by them. Bible religion, in private and in public, is with them a thing of the past. {TM 80.1}

Re: Christian Perfection of Character - what and how. [Re: Mountain Man] #80731
11/05/06 06:47 PM
11/05/06 06:47 PM
J
John Boskovic  Offline
Dedicated Member
Ontario
Food for thought:

Truth is universal and absolute.

But

Salvation is personal.

Perfection of Character is a judgment.

If we judge perfection of Character by measuring up to absolute truth, we will be friends of Satan.

If we judge character in truth and grace we will be children of God.

If we make a universal formula of Salvation, we make Truth relative.

Re: Christian Perfection of Character - what and how. [Re: John Boskovic] #80756
11/06/06 03:09 PM
11/06/06 03:09 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
MM: I disagree. You are implying that we are born again with the majority of our sinful defective traits of character of intact.

No I'm not. At least, not the way you define things. You define sinful defective traits of character as being willful sins, not sins of ignorance. So I agree that when one is born again that one does not, using your definition of sinful defective traits of character, have such. Where we differ is that you seem to perceive perfection of character as being something which happens instantaneously rather than being a process, which is how I see both the Spirit of Prophecy and Scripture presenting the topic.

For example, DA speaks of how God would have us renounce the selfishness which led us to choose Him. This is dealing with motivations we aren't aware of.

Another example would be DA speaks of how the disciples of Christ are not led to follow him by hope of reward or fear of punishment. But this is something which one grows into as there are many who are converted, born again, who are motivated by hope of reward and fear of punishment.

Another example would be COL "the Two Worshippers" which points out that at every advance step in our Christian walk, our repentance will deepen.

A. T. Jones, who was the one presenting "the message of God to the church of Laodecia" (from EGW) applied the Laodecian message to himself, and those to whom he was addressing; he was speaking to converted people.

So there are many indications (these are just a few) that our walk towards perfection of character is a progressive one. This doesn't mean that one must remain sinning while this growth occurs, however. John had the right perspective:

Quote:
My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous: (1 John 2:1)

The idea is that we "sin not." But *if* (not "when" but "if") any man sin, we have an advocate.

Re: Christian Perfection of Character - what and how. [Re: Tom] #80764
11/06/06 04:32 PM
11/06/06 04:32 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
TE: Where we differ is that you seem to perceive perfection of character as being something which happens instantaneously rather than being a process …

MM: I believe it is both. In the same way Jesus was born perfect and became perfect so too we are born again perfect and we become perfect. Paul spoke of “perfecting holiness”. That’s what I’m talking about.

Sanctification is a process that begins the moment we are born again. This process involves maturing in the fruits of the Spirit, and will continue throughout eternity. It’s an advance from one stage of perfection to another, from “glory to glory”, from “faith to faith”, from “grace to grace”.

If, as you believe, sins of ignorance constitutes cultivated defective traits character then we are in trouble. Why? Because if we should die before the Holy Spirit reveals them to us we will go into the grave with them. The reason this is trouble is due to the fact that Jesus will not change our character when He returns. No one will go to heaven if they are resurrected with defective characters.

I do not believe sins of ignorance constitute character. They have to do with intellectual things such as which day is the Sabbath, what to eat and not to eat, when did Jesus enter the most holy place, etc. Such things do not constitute character. Character is the result of repetitious choices to think, speak, and behave in specific ways, and is related to what we know to be true and right.

Re: Christian Perfection of Character - what and how. [Re: Mountain Man] #80776
11/06/06 07:14 PM
11/06/06 07:14 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
TE: Where we differ is that you seem to perceive perfection of character as being something which happens instantaneously rather than being a process …

MM: I believe it is both. In the same way Jesus was born perfect and became perfect so too we are born again perfect and we become perfect.

It's not the same. Jesus never sinned. He had no sinfulness to overcome.

Paul spoke of “perfecting holiness”. That’s what I’m talking about.

This is perfection of character, a process.

Sanctification is a process that begins the moment we are born again. This process involves maturing in the fruits of the Spirit, and will continue throughout eternity. It’s an advance from one stage of perfection to another, from “glory to glory”, from “faith to faith”, from “grace to grace”.

If, as you believe, sins of ignorance constitutes cultivated defective traits character then we are in trouble.

I don't know why you so often misquote me, MM. It's mind-boggling. I've never said this.

Why? Because if we should die before the Holy Spirit reveals them to us we will go into the grave with them. The reason this is trouble is due to the fact that Jesus will not change our character when He returns. No one will go to heaven if they are resurrected with defective characters.

I do not believe sins of ignorance constitute character. They have to do with intellectual things such as which day is the Sabbath, what to eat and not to eat, when did Jesus enter the most holy place, etc. Such things do not constitute character. Character is the result of repetitious choices to think, speak, and behave in specific ways, and is related to what we know to be true and right.

What we know to be true and right develops as we learn more of the character of Christ. For example, one can become more attuned to what would be offensive to another person in terms of one's actions or words. Or some rationalization of a selfish desire can be brought to light, so one becomes aware of some selfishness one was not aware of previously. EGW alludes to that when she writes that God would have us renounce the selifshenss that first led us to Christ. When we were first born again, we were unaware of it. But when the Holy Spirit later reveals it to us, we should respond as God desires.

Here is some from Waggoner which discusses related ideas to what we have been discussing:

Quote:
Suppose that I have injured one of you; I may have been pursuing a systematic course of evil toward you--accusing you falsely, trying to injure you in your business, trying to provoke and irritate you in every way possible, doing everything I could against you day by day and week by week and month by month. By and by my eyes are opened, and I see the meanness of that course. I feel all broken down because I have lent myself to such a mean way of acting, and I come to you and acknowledge what I have been doing. You can see in a moment that I am all broken down over it and that I really feel that I have done wrong.

Some of us here have had occasion to forgive people who came to us in just that way. Now has it been our custom when they come in that contrite way to stand coolly back and let them tell the whole story from beginning to end and rack their minds to try to remember everything that they have done in detail, so that they may confess it? Then when they think they have told it all and ask for your forgiveness, do you stand back still and remind them that there was another little thing which they have missed and tell them that you would like them to confess that too? Then when they have told you everything that they can think of and that you can remind them of, do you say, "Well, I guess you have confessed it all, so I will forgive you"? There is not a person in this house that would do that.

When I settled that question for myself, I thought, I have no business to make myself out any better than God. When anyone comes to me or to you all broken down and confesses his wrong, we forgive him freely, and before he has told half what he might tell, we tell him that it is all right, that he is forgiven and to say no more about it.

That is just what God does. He has given us the parable of the Prodigal son, as an illustration of how He forgives. His father saw him a great way off and ran to meet him. I am so thankful that God does not require me, before I can be forgiven, to go back and take up every sin that I have ever committed and confess it. If He did, He would have to lengthen my probation longer than I believe He possibly can, for me to repeat the smallest part of them. Well may David say, "For innumerable evils have compassed me about: mine iniquities have taken hold upon me, so that I am not able to look up; they are more than the hairs of mine heard: therefore my heart faileth me." Psalm 40:12. Yes, our sins are "innumerable," but "the sacrifices of God are a broken spirit"; a broken and contrite heart He will not despise. We take hold of the sacrifice of Christ, take it into our very selves, and thus we make a covenant with God by sacrifice.

The Lord forgives freely, and we can know it. God shows us the representative sins of our lives. Sins that stand out prominent--they stand for our whole sinful nature and we know that our whole life is of that same sinful character. We come and confess the sins. Shall we charge God with saying, "I have shown you those sins and you have confessed them; but there are some other sins, and I will not show you them, but you must find them out for yourself, and until you do I will not forgive you." God does not deal with us in that way. He is infinite in love and compassion. "Like as a father pitieth His children, so the Lord pitieth them that fear Him."(Emphasis mine)

This is from the 1891 GCB. Note his explanation of "representative sin".

Page 6 of 51 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 50 51

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/25/24 09:37 AM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 04/01/24 08:10 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 04/24/24 02:15 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!