HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,597
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 14
kland 9
Daryl 3
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (Kevin H, Karen Y, Daryl, 1 invisible), 3,143 guests, and 19 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 8 of 51 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 50 51
Re: Christian Perfection of Character - what and how. [Re: Mountain Man] #80961
11/10/06 04:30 PM
11/10/06 04:30 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
"As a man thinking in his heart, so is he." Given that this constitutes what a man is, it's difficult for me to see that Jesus missed something here. The will is connected to our thinking. We reach decisions based on what we think. If the will is disconnected from right thinking, as you seem to be implying, then what is it that determines what we do MM?

Regarding traits, I understand the implanting which takes place when one is born again as having to do with our thinking changing. For example, we have the following description from COL:

Quote:
When we submit ourselves to Christ, the heart is united with His heart, the will is merged in His will, the mind becomes one with His mind, the thoughts are brought into captivity to Him; we live His life. This is what it means to be clothed with the garment of His righteousness. Then as the Lord looks upon us He sees, not the fig-leaf garment, not the nakedness and deformity of sin, but His own robe of righteousness, which is perfect obedience to the law of Jehovah.(COL 312)

I see this as speaking of the same thing as the implanted traits. Do you agree with this, MM? Or do you think this paragraph here is dealing with something other than the statement about implanted traits when one is born again?

For example, let's take a look at one of the quotes you mentioned:

Quote:
He permits us to come in contact with suffering and calamity in order to call us out of our selfishness; He seeks to develop in us the attributes of His character--compassion, tenderness, and love. (COL 388)

I understand this to be saying that as we behold Christ and learn of Him, we will be transformed into the same image. I understand that the traits she mentioned -- compassion, tenderness, and love -- all have to do with right thinking. Indeed, I don't see how these traits can be understood as not having to do with thought.

Regarding our renouncing our selfishness, here's the quote again:

Quote:
The Saviour longs to give us a greater blessing than we ask; and He delays the answer to our request that He may show us the evil of our own hearts, and our deep need of His grace. He desires us to renounce the selfishness that leads us to seek Him. Confessing our helplessness and bitter need, we are to trust ourselves wholly to His love.(DA 200)

She is not speaking of the nobleman here, but of "us," which includes herself and her readers. She took a principle from the nobleman's experience and applied it to her readers and herself. She is not implying that either she herself or her readers are not converted. She is saying that God would have us renounce the selfishness that leads us to seek Him, "us" meaning "you and I" where the "I" would be the one writing, Ellen White and the "you" would be the reader of what she wrote. The Nobleman, being dead, is not included in the "us."

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Christian Perfection of Character - what and how. [Re: Tom] #80970
11/10/06 09:03 PM
11/10/06 09:03 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
TE: If the will is disconnected from right thinking, as you seem to be implying, then what is it that determines what we do MM? … I understand that the traits she mentioned -- compassion, tenderness, and love -- all have to do with right thinking. Indeed, I don't see how these traits can be understood as not having to do with thought.

MM: Thoughts and feelings combined constitute character. “If the thoughts are wrong the feelings will be wrong, and the thoughts and feelings combined make up the moral character.” (5T 310) Right thinking is only part of the equation. Again, the will, not right thinking, is the power that governs all other faculties, including right thinking. Character is the compilation of cultivated traits. Undeveloped traits do not count as character.

5T 513
Pure religion has to do with the will. The will is the governing power in the nature of man, bringing all the other faculties under its sway. The will is not the taste or the incli-nation, but it is the deciding power which works in the children of men unto obedience to God or unto disobedience. {5T 513.1}

TE: She is saying that God would have us renounce the selfishness that leads us to seek Him, "us" meaning "you and I" where the "I" would be the one writing, Ellen White and the "you" would be the reader of what she wrote. The Nobleman, being dead, is not included in the "us."

MM: Such selfishness is expelled from the heart when we are born again. It does not exist in the hearts of those who are truly born again. True, selfishness is a natural trait we all possess, but in the cases of born again believers it resides in sinful flesh nature, not in their hearts. In Christ they keep it under the control of a sanctified will and mind. In Christ they do not allow it to resurface.

LHU 292
All selfishness comes from Satan. {LHU 292.2}

OHC 287
The true Christian banishes all selfishness from his heart. {OHC 287.4}

SD 334
Bible conversion will lead to constant and abiding activity, which will be free from all selfishness, all self-exaltation, and all boastful claims of holiness. If you are truly converted to God, you will exert a strong and telling influence on the side of truth. {SD 334.3}

MM 46
Selfishness must be expelled from the soul. The heart must be purified from all envy, all evil surmising. Believers must constantly receive and impart the love of God. {MM 46.1}

FLB 140
It is a weakness of humanity to pet selfishness, because it is a natural trait of character. But unless all selfishness is put away, unless self is crucified, we can never be holy as God is holy. {FLB 140.4}

Re: Christian Perfection of Character - what and how. [Re: Mountain Man] #81018
11/12/06 02:02 AM
11/12/06 02:02 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
MM, please tell me how you can divorce the will from thinking. How exactly is it that you think the will is exercised, if not by thought?

Quote:
Such selfishness is expelled from the heart when we are born again. It does not exist in the hearts of those who are truly born again. True, selfishness is a natural trait we all possess, but in the cases of born again believers it resides in sinful flesh nature, not in their hearts. In Christ they keep it under the control of a sanctified will and mind. In Christ they do not allow it to resurface.

Here's what she wrote:

Quote:
The Saviour longs to give us a greater blessing than we ask; and He delays the answer to our request that He may show us the evil of our own hearts, and our deep need of His grace. He desires us to renounce the selfishness that leads us to seek Him.

This is obviously referring to born again persons, as it says he delays the answer to "our" request that He may show "us" our need of his grace; desiring "us" to renounce the selfishness that leads "us" to "seek Him." This is dealing with people (i.e. "us" , her readers and herself) who are seeking Him. People not born again would not be:

a.Seeking Christ
b.Reading the Desire of Ages
c.Include Ellen White

It is certainly possible that the groups in a. and b could include individuals who are not born again, but one would certainly not expect that to be the case. That is, it is obvious that Ellen White's intention in using "us" is to include persons who are born again, which appears not to be agreeing with your conception of things.

The selfishness of which Ellen White refers to is not active selfishness. As you point out, this is dealt with when one is born again. It is dealing of that which is in us of which we are unaware. God wants us to renounce the selfishness that leads us to follow Him. Surely we cannot do this as long as we are unaware of it. So the first step is for us to become aware of this selfishness. Recognizing that there exists the possibility that this selfishness could exist in us is a first step. If we take the position, contrary to what EGW has written, that it is impossible for there to be any selfishness in us to be revealed, I think we're making a bad mistake, and perhaps a dangerous one.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Christian Perfection of Character - what and how. [Re: Tom] #81090
11/13/06 08:29 PM
11/13/06 08:29 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, which one of the 5 quotes that I posted above teach us that we are born again with unknown selfishness that must be overcome a little at a time after we are born again?

Re: Christian Perfection of Character - what and how. [Re: Mountain Man] #81102
11/13/06 10:42 PM
11/13/06 10:42 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
MM, that's a strange question. You were showing quotes to present a point of view you hold. I presented a quote to show a shortcoming in your view. Surely you are clever enough to come up with quotes which do not say something contrary to what you are thinking. So why should I expect one of the quotes you presented to show something contrary to what you think?

The issue isn't if there is something in EGW's writings which does not deal with a certain issue (in this case, renouncing selfishness), but if there *are* things in her writings which deal with this subject. There are; specifically the quote I presented:

Quote:
The Saviour longs to give us a greater blessing than we ask; and He delays the answer to our request that He may show us the evil of our own hearts, and our deep need of His grace. He desires us to renounce the selfishness that leads us to seek Him.

Christ desires us to "renounce the selfishness that leads us to seek Him." "Our" refers to:

a.Ellen White
b.Her readers

(it doesn't include the nobleman; he dead.)

Re: Christian Perfection of Character - what and how. [Re: Tom] #81137
11/14/06 02:57 PM
11/14/06 02:57 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, I find it difficult to believe that Sister White, while writing the DA, was guilty of seeking Jesus for selfish, sinful reasons. And, I find it hard to believe that the following inspired insight excludes born again believers seeking Jesus for selfish reasons:

"The true Christian banishes all selfishness from his heart."

Re: Christian Perfection of Character - what and how. [Re: Mountain Man] #81139
11/14/06 04:14 PM
11/14/06 04:14 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
On the DA quote, regardless of whether you find it hard to believe or not, that's what she wrote.

The selfishness referred to in the other quote is known selfishness. The DA quote is dealing with selfishness of which we are unaware. The Savior delays the answer to our requests in order to make this known; that was her point. We can hardly renounce something of which we are unaware. Of course the non-born again person is not seeking Christ at all, so the quote doesn't refer to the unconverted. And again, she speaks of "us," which, of course, includes her, the "I" in "us."

Re: Christian Perfection of Character - what and how. [Re: Tom] #81186
11/15/06 03:34 PM
11/15/06 03:34 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Thank you for making your point clear. Again, you believe Sister White, while writing the DA, was guilty of having unknown "evil" and "selfishness" in her heart. Did she also die in this evil, selfish state?

Re: Christian Perfection of Character - what and how. [Re: Mountain Man] #81202
11/16/06 12:18 AM
11/16/06 12:18 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Ellen White wrote, "The Saviour longs to give us a greater blessing than we ask; and He delays the answer to our request that He may show us the evil of our own hearts, and our deep need of His grace. He desires us to renounce the selfishness that leads us to seek Him."

I don't see a problem with this. We are not "guilty," as you put it, for things we don't know about (unless we are willingly ignorant). Ellen White wrote that from an early age (maybe 13), as soon as she was aware of God's will, she was willing to do it. God doesn't ask any more than this. Ellen White wasn't "guilty" of anything.

Re: Christian Perfection of Character - what and how. [Re: Tom] #81224
11/16/06 03:04 PM
11/16/06 03:04 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Unknown evil in our hearts that causes God to delay answering our prayers because we seek Him for selfish reasons.

1. Can you name some examples of unknown evil and selfishness that still remained in the heart of Sister White after serving Jesus for over 50 years? Which is how long she had been serving Jesus by the time she wrote the DA.

2. Also, why didn't the Holy Spirit reveal them to her? Why did He allow her to retain evil and selfishness in her heart for so many years?

3. Did He reveal them to her before she died? Or, did He let her retain them until she died?

Page 8 of 51 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 50 51

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/25/24 09:37 AM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 04/24/24 02:15 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!