HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,601
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 15
kland 9
Daryl 3
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, ProdigalOne, Kevin H, Daryl, 1 invisible), 2,952 guests, and 19 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 15 16
Re: Does the end justify the means? [Re: John Boskovic] #82448
12/13/06 04:26 AM
12/13/06 04:26 AM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
TE: Are you speaking of having bad things happen to us, like sickness or death? In what way is God active?

MM: Yes. However, perceiving such things as “bad” assumes they are not allowed and regulated by God.

God's allowing a thing to happen does not make a bad thing good. A woman being raped, a child being abused, are not part of God's plan for anything. These things are evil.

He is “active” in that He fights to make sure it is not more than He allows.

………………

TE: But perhaps you have more in mind, like the things which do happens happen because God intends them to happen? If a loved one dies, is that because God wanted that to happen? (I'm talking active will here. I'm not trying to put words in your mouth, just trying to understand what you're thought is.)

MM: Nothing happens that God does not, given the circumstances, want to happen.

Everything that is contrary to what we see in Christ, everything that is contrary to the principles of love, the principles revealed by His law, is not what God wants to happen.

Death is inevitable. So, God gives us an opportunity to honor and glorify Him in how and when we die. He decides how and when. Not Satan, not fate, not us. Our response to it determines whether or not we honor and glorify Him.

You appear not to believe in free will.

…………………

TE: No one would disagree that God allows trials to come upon us, nor that God uses these trials for our good. Correct? So why are you making this point?

MM: I believe it is, given the circumstances, His will and desire. The end justifies the means. Do you agree?

What do you think?

………………

TE: You mean that God only allows Satan to tempt us in certain areas, but not in others? That's obvious, isn't it? God won't allow us to be tempted above what we are able. I don't understand why you're wishing to make this point.

MM: The point is – Satan can tempt no one without God’s express permission. The reason God allows it is to give us an opportunity to disprove Satan’s accusations that God’s law cannot be obeyed, that God is tyrannical for requiring us to obey it. Satan’s temptations are a means to an end. Otherwise, God would not allow it. Do you agree?

No, I don't think I agree with any of this.

………………………..

TE: Your statement was that the evil angels never pass up an opportunity to tempt us. I was explaining the fallacy in this reasoning.

MM: Again, God does not leave it up to evil angels to decide how and when to tempt us to sin. Every temptation is approved by God. Whether or not evil angels pass up such opportunities is unlikely.

I guess you've seen the fallacy of your statement, since you're backing off from it.

You believe you know for sure there are plenty of times when they do. I would like to qualify my previous post by saying – It is unlikely.

Well that's closer. It depends on the opportunity. It's extrememly likely they would pass up on the tempting you with pot opportunity, but not likely they would pass up on other more promising opportunities. You're not qualifying your statement correctly. You should qualify it like this: Many of the temptations which God allows the evil angels to tempt us with, they take advantage of.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Does the end justify the means? [Re: Mountain Man] #82456
12/13/06 11:45 AM
12/13/06 11:45 AM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
TV: It is said that CS Lewis held a belief simmilar to this until the day his wife died...

MM: In what way did he change his mind? Did he switch to believing God has no control over such things? that Satan is free to kill us as he pleases? that God has no say-so in the matter? I hope not!
Dont know, I or you would have to read his books on the subject to find out.

Galatians 2
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

It is so hazardous to take here a little and there a little. If you put the right little's together you can make the bible teach anything you wish. //Graham Maxwell
Re: Does the end justify the means? [Re: vastergotland] #82459
12/13/06 02:04 PM
12/13/06 02:04 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
In what way did he change his mind? Did he switch to believing God has no control over such things? that Satan is free to kill us as he pleases? that God has no say-so in the matter? I hope not!

The fallacy behind these questions is that it presupposes only two ways of looking at things, which is the way MM looks at them, and the way these questions are implying are the only alternative. C. S. Lewis could have stopped looking at things in the traditional Augustinian way, and started looking at them in a non-Augustinian way, which is nothing like what MM is saying.

That is, MM is presenting two alternatives:
a.Augustinian theology
b.His understanding of non-Augustinian theology.

But b. is not the only alternative to a.

To clarify, Augustine taught that everything that happens is God's will. This idea was incorporated into the Catholic church, and into some of the Reformers as well, most notably Calvin (and to some extent Luther).

An alternative theology is that not everything that happens is God's will, but that there is a war going on, between good and evil.

In Augustinian theology, Satan and his hosts are simply pawns, to be used by God as He see fits. Nothing happens that is not God's will. If a loved one dies, if one is raped, if a child is abused, all of this fits into God's plan. We may not understand why, but we are to trust that God knows best, and some time we will see why God had the woman raped, the child abused, and so on.

An alternative theology is that God did not have the woman raped, or the child abused, or any of a million other horrors. Rather these things happen contrary to God's will, who is working tirelessly to bring these things to an end. These things happen in spite of God's will, not because of it.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Does the end justify the means? [Re: John Boskovic] #82467
12/13/06 04:58 PM
12/13/06 04:58 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
MM: Nothing happens that God does not, given the circumstances, want to happen.

JB: What "circumstances" have an effect on God's will?
How do "circumstances" come into the equation?
Isn't man's choice also a "circumstance"?
Isn't Satan a "circumstance"?
What circumstance is a "circumstance"?

MM: By “circumstances” I mean the great controversy. In other words, because of the sin problem, because God wants us, and the onlooking universe, to understand the truth about good and evil, He must command holy angels and permit evil angels to cause suffering and death. These things are necessary to teach us the truth about good and evil. That’s what God wants. That is His will and desire. Of course He wishes circumstances did not make it so. But the end justifies the means. In fact, God has no choice. The circumstances have forced Him into it.

Do you agree?

Re: Does the end justify the means? [Re: Mountain Man] #82468
12/13/06 05:18 PM
12/13/06 05:18 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
TE: God's allowing a thing to happen does not make a bad thing good.

MM: I believe it depends on why He commanded it or permitted it as to whether or not it is “bad” or “evil”.

……………..

MM: Death is inevitable. So, God gives us an opportunity to honor and glorify Him in how and when we die. He decides how and when. Not Satan, not fate, not us. Our response to it determines whether or not we honor and glorify Him.

TE: You appear not to believe in free will.

MM: How do you figure? God deciding how and when we will die does not rob us of our freedom or ability to choose.

……………………

MM: I believe it is, given the circumstances, His will and desire. The end justifies the means. Do you agree?

TE: What do you think?

MM: What do I think you think? I think you agree. Did I get it right? If not, then why do you think God commands holy angels and permits evil angels to cause suffering and death?

…………………..

MM: The point is – Satan can tempt no one without God’s express permission. The reason God allows it is to give us an opportunity to disprove Satan’s accusations that God’s law cannot be obeyed, that God is tyrannical for requiring us to obey it. Satan’s temptations are a means to an end. Otherwise, God would not allow it. Do you agree?

TE: No, I don't think I agree with any of this.

MM: Then why do you think God allows Satan to tempt us? Does God have any say-so in the matter? Is Satan free to tempt us? Or, must he first obtain permission from God?

……………………

TE: Many of the temptations which God allows the evil angels to tempt us with, they take advantage of.

MM: I agree. But do you also think there’s a list of temptations that God will allow, and that He leaves up to the evil angels to decide which ones to tempt us with, when and where, and all of that?

Re: Does the end justify the means? [Re: Tom] #82470
12/13/06 05:34 PM
12/13/06 05:34 PM
Daryl  Online Canadian

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally Posted By: Tom Ewall
We discussed this in the past, but it's been awhile. Here's a post from MM from a different topic:

Quote:
MM: Is God “glad” Jesus’ death on the cross saves millions? Yes, of course He is. Is God “glad” that the blood of martyrs motivates others to embrace Jesus? Yes, of course He is. Is God “glad” when rape serves to cause victims to give their hearts to Jesus? Yes, of course He is. Trials and trouble are a means to an end. The end justifies the means.

I'm interested in discussing the last sentence, "the end justifies the means." I don't know how to create a poll. If someone wants to do that, that would be cool. The question would be "Does the end justify the means?" and the responses would be "Yes" or "No." Of course anyone setting up the poll would be free to set it up however they like, but that would be my suggestion.

Tom

Here, finally, is the requested POLL.

Does the end justify the means?
single choice
Votes accepted starting: 12/13/06 02:33 PM
You must vote before you can view the results of this poll.

In His Love, Mercy & Grace,

Daryl smile

John 8:32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

http://www.christians-discuss.com/forum/index.php
Re: Does the end justify the means? [Re: Mountain Man] #82471
12/13/06 05:55 PM
12/13/06 05:55 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
TE: In Augustinian theology, Satan and his hosts are simply pawns, to be used by God as He see fits. Nothing happens that is not God's will. If a loved one dies, if one is raped, if a child is abused, all of this fits into God's plan. We may not understand why, but we are to trust that God knows best, and some time we will see why God had the woman raped, the child abused, and so on.

MM: The idea that “God had” something happen is different than God commanding holy angels or permitting evil angels to cause something to happen.

TE: An alternative theology is that God did not have the woman raped, or the child abused, or any of a million other horrors. Rather these things happen contrary to God's will, who is working tirelessly to bring these things to an end. These things happen in spite of God's will, not because of it.

MM: But this view does not explain why God allows these types of things to happen. Nor does it explain why God commands holy angels and permits evil angels to cause death and destruction. It seems to assume God has no say-so in the matter, that He is just as much a victim of Satan's tyranny as we are.

Re: Does the end justify the means? [Re: Mountain Man] #82472
12/13/06 06:00 PM
12/13/06 06:00 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
DF: Here, finally, is the requested POLL.

MM: Since this thread in based on something I posted, I would prefer it if the poll question read - When God allows us to be tried and tested, so that we can grow and mature in the fruit of the Spirit, does the end justify the means?

Thank you.

Re: Does the end justify the means? [Re: Mountain Man] #82473
12/13/06 06:48 PM
12/13/06 06:48 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
Free will, the ability to choose after ones own will what to do and act upon it. If I have to get permission to do a sertain thing, it is no longer my will but the will of the person whom I ask for permission from that counts.

The end does never justify the means when God is conserned, is what I believe. The reason for this is that God would not use any means which go against His character to achieve an end. On the way to the cross the last night, Jesus was tempted to change plans and achieve the end with the help of 12 legions of angles rather than by humiliation and torture. God would not use rape to achive an end. If we believe He would, we would have to believe that if Mary had said no when Gabriel told her, God would have made her pregnant nontheless.
The promise that God can turn any situation for good for those who trust Him does not require that God has any part in creating all of those bad situations. We are told that all good gifts come from God, not that *all* gifts come from God.

Galatians 2
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

It is so hazardous to take here a little and there a little. If you put the right little's together you can make the bible teach anything you wish. //Graham Maxwell
Re: Does the end justify the means? [Re: vastergotland] #82476
12/13/06 08:44 PM
12/13/06 08:44 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
TE: In Augustinian theology, Satan and his hosts are simply pawns, to be used by God as He see fits. Nothing happens that is not God's will. If a loved one dies, if one is raped, if a child is abused, all of this fits into God's plan. We may not understand why, but we are to trust that God knows best, and some time we will see why God had the woman raped, the child abused, and so on.

MM: The idea that “God had” something happen is different than God commanding holy angels or permitting evil angels to cause something to happen.

This begs the question. If the reason something happens is because God so wills, then the difference vanished.

TE: An alternative theology is that God did not have the woman raped, or the child abused, or any of a million other horrors. Rather these things happen contrary to God's will, who is working tirelessly to bring these things to an end. These things happen in spite of God's will, not because of it.

MM: But this view does not explain why God allows these types of things to happen.

This is not the question under discussion. The question under discussion is whether the ends justify the means. Why God allows bad things happen to you is an important question, and one for which a topic could be opened. The point being brought up here is that an alternative theology to the Augustinian idea that nothing happens except for what God wills is that bad things happens in spite of God's will, not because of it.

Nor does it explain why God commands holy angels and permits evil angels to cause death and destruction.

This is really the same thing. It's not intended to explain this, but to offer an alternative to the idea that bad things happen because of God's will.

It seems to assume God has no say-so in the matter, that He is just as much a victim of Satan's tyranny as we are.

Your comment brings the following quote to mind:

Quote:
Those who think of the result of hastening or hindering the gospel think of it in relation to themselves and to the world. Few think of its relation to God. Few give thought to the suffering that sin has caused our Creator. All heaven suffered in Christ's agony; but that suffering did not begin or end with His manifestation in humanity. The cross is a revelation to our dull senses of the pain that, from its very inception, sin has brought to the heart of God. Every departure from the right, every deed of cruelty, every failure of humanity to reach His ideal, brings grief to Him. When there came upon Israel the calamities that were the sure result of separation from God,--subjugation by their enemies, cruelty, and death, --it is said that "His soul was grieved for the misery of Israel." "In all their affliction He was afflicted: . . . and He bare them, and carried them all the days of old." Judges 10:16; Isaiah 63:9. {Ed 263.1}

So your right to assume that God is a victim of Satan's tyranny. Of course it's wrong to assume God suffers because He has no say-so. Certainly He could have destroyed Satan immediately when he sinned, in an attempt to cut short His own suffering. But this is not His character. He chooses to suffer Himself to make it possible for His children to be healed, not because He doesn't have a say-so, but because He does. He judges self-sacrifice to be better than the alternative, which is in harmony with His character of self-sacrificing love.

Page 3 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 15 16

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/28/24 11:09 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 04/29/24 09:07 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 04/28/24 09:29 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!