HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,603
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 14
kland 9
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, ProdigalOne, Kevin H, 1 invisible), 3,059 guests, and 21 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: What is the truth about faith and works? [Re: Johann] #83184
12/30/06 05:06 AM
12/30/06 05:06 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Thank you MM.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: What is the truth about faith and works? [Re: Johann] #83202
12/30/06 03:55 PM
12/30/06 03:55 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Pastor Johann: All of the points are excellent and of great value. My questioning is merely to stir up our pure (some may spell it "poor") minds to consider the options.

Will such a list assure that we are on the right track?

MM: It is the truth that sets us free – not lists. If we read and heed the truth we are free to be like Jesus – kind, loving, patient, compassionate, obedient, manifesting the fruits of the Spirit more and more unto the glorious day of Jesus Christ our Lord, thereby vindicating the kingdom and character of God our Father.

2. Men must go forth reproving, rebuking every manner of evil. . . let the message be heard through human agents rebuking carelessness, backsliding, and sin, that the people may be brought to repentance and confession of sin.

MM: How well does reproving and rebuking sinning go over in the church nowadays?

3. Never seek to cover sin; for in the message of rebuke, Christ is to be proclaimed as the first and the last, He who is all in all to the soul.

MM: Amen! Reprovers and rebukers should never divorce Jesus from their messages.

4. His power awaits the demand of those who would overcome.

MM: Amen! The power of God Almighty is at our disposal so that we can live in harmony with His will and way.

5. The [human] reprover is to animate his hearers so that they shall strive for the mastery.

MM: We must learn to master ourselves, to subdue and subject our unholy traits and tendencies to a sanctified will and mind, to recognize and resist the sinful thought and feelings that bombard us from within and from without ceaselessly.

6. He is to encourage them to struggle for deliverance from every sinful practice, to be free from every corrupt habit, even if his denial of self is like taking the right eye, or separating the right arm from the body.

MM: Reprovers and rebukers must not only help sinners understand their sinful practices and corrupt habits, but they must also encourage them to, by the grace of God, keep them under the subjection of a sanctified will and mind, to not allow them to resurface, to be manifested in their words or behaviour.

7. No concession or compromise is to be made to evil habits or sinful practices.

MM: Amen!

8. He is not to be ignorant as to what are right practices in eating and drinking, and in all the habits of life. The Lord designs that His human agents shall act as rational, accountable beings in every respect.

MM: Ignorance is not bliss – the truth is, that is, living the truth in our daily life is bliss and peace.

9. We cannot afford to neglect one ray of light God has given.

MM: Amen!

10. To be sluggish in our practice of those things which require diligence is to commit sin.

MM: God forbid, that is, God forbids us to commit sin. All the power in heaven and earth is ours for the asking, ours for the taking, ours for the making – the making of righteousness and true holiness. To God be the glory.

Re: What is the truth about faith and works? [Re: Mountain Man] #107294
01/08/09 06:06 AM
01/08/09 06:06 AM
J
James Saptenno  Offline
Charter Member
Active Member 2012
Dedicated Member
Jakarta, Indonesia
So, what would come first?

Faith that lead to works, or, works that lead to faith?

In His love.

Re: What is the truth about faith and works? [Re: James Saptenno] #107311
01/08/09 08:30 PM
01/08/09 08:30 PM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
that is an interesting question.

i remember when i first decided to keep the sabbath. i would say it was because i was supposed to-works. i would say that it led to faith. in that particular case "works that led to faith".

i will have to think if that has always been true, or if it has been a combination of the two.

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Re: What is the truth about faith and works? [Re: Johann] #107312
01/08/09 08:36 PM
01/08/09 08:36 PM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Originally Posted By: Johann
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man

MM: Please take a another look at the 23 points I posted and you'll see that all I did was enumerate the points Sister White made in the previous post.

Again, is it a waste of time to spend 13 minutes posting such things on MSDAOL?

All of the points are excellent and of great value. My questioning is merely to stir up our pure (some may spell it "poor") minds to consider the options. Will such a list assure that we are on the right track?

your posts have given me some great thoughts to stop and consider and search my heart. smile

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Re: What is the truth about faith and works? [Re: James Saptenno] #107414
01/10/09 07:38 PM
01/10/09 07:38 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: James Saptenno
So, what would come first? Faith that lead to works, or, works that lead to faith?

They happen simultaneously. They are inseparable. Apart from one another they cease to be what they are when united. Faith without works ceases to be faith. And, works without faith ceases to be works. This is, of course, looking at it from God's perspective. Which is how we need to view it.

Re: What is the truth about faith and works? [Re: Mountain Man] #186113
03/04/18 03:55 PM
03/04/18 03:55 PM
Daryl  Offline

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
Rather than create a new topic, I am resurrecting this one.

I came across this while reading through the book, Patriarchs & Prophets:

True faith, which relies wholly upon Christ, will be manifested by obedience to all the requirements of God. From Adam's day to the present time the great controversy has been concerning obedience to God's law. In all ages there have been those who claimed a right to the favor of God even while they were disregarding some of His commands. But the Scriptures declare that by works is "faith made perfect;" and that, without the works of obedience, faith "is dead." James 2:22, 17. He that professes to know God, "and keepeth not His commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him." 1 John 2:4. {PP 73.2}

In His Love, Mercy & Grace,

Daryl smile

John 8:32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

http://www.christians-discuss.com/forum/index.php
Re: What is the truth about faith and works? [Re: Mountain Man] #186120
03/05/18 06:37 AM
03/05/18 06:37 AM
J
Josh M  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2018
Colorado, USA
Let's consider what it means for works to make faith perfect and a lack of works to cause the death of faith. In Luke 17:5 there's an interesting request made to Jesus- "And the apostles said unto the Lord, Increase our faith."

The answer was-

6 And the Lord said, If ye had faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye might say unto this sycamine tree, Be thou plucked up by the root, and be thou planted in the sea; and it should obey you.
7 But which of you, having a servant plowing or feeding cattle, will say unto him by and by, when he is come from the field, Go and sit down to meat?
8 And will not rather say unto him, Make ready wherewith I may sup, and gird thyself, and serve me, till I have eaten and drunken; and afterward thou shalt eat and drink?
9 Doth he thank that servant because he did the things that were commanded him? I trow not.
10 So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants: we have done that which was our duty to do.

The lesson presented is that we have a Master and have been given both a commission an a law. Obeying these, not as a gift of works to God for which we would deserve a payment (see Romans 4:4), but out of a sense of duty to the God whom we love and choose to serve will increase our faith.

It's designed to be a cycle that eternally benefits us. Faith produces works which increases faith which produces more works. Without the works the cycle breaks and, rather than increasing, like any muscle that goes unused, faith withers and dies. Without the faith, works are only an imitating drudgery because works born of faith are faith put into action.

Re: What is the truth about faith and works? [Re: Mountain Man] #186161
03/09/18 09:20 PM
03/09/18 09:20 PM
dedication  Online Content
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
"He that professes to know God, "and keepeth not His commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him." 1 John 2:4.

Too often we focus on the last part of that verse and fall into a "works" program trying to keep God's commandments by works.
But notice the first part --

He that professes to know God...

That is the point we really need to concentrate on. Are we seeking to know God; not just have knowledge about Him, but to know Him on a personal, relationship basis?

Or is our knowledge of God just a profession, an intellectual acquiesce but not an actual "knowing" Him?

And yes --
"True faith, which relies wholly upon Christ, will be manifested by obedience to all the requirements of God."

It's also true that God invites us to "taste and see".
Ps. 34:8 O taste and see that the LORD is good: blessed is the man that trusteth in him.

A new believer may wonder "how can I give up my worldly way of life?" Instead of telling them "you better or you will be lost" -- invite them "taste and see that the LORD is good"
Try it and see -- not to earn anything, but to experience the blessings that come from trusting in Him.
God invites us to prove for ourselves the reality of His Word, the truth of His promises.

Trust and follow --- He will never leave you.

1 John 1:7 But if we walk in the light, as He is in the light, we have fellowship with Him, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanses us from all sin.

Quote:
"He who is trying to become holy by his own works in keeping the law, is attempting an impossibility. All that man can do without Christ is polluted with selfishness and sin. It is the grace of Christ alone, through faith, that can make us holy....

notice here that obedience is not a mere outward compliance, but the service of love. The law of God is an expression of His very nature; it is an embodiment of the great principle of love, and hence is the foundation of His government in heaven and earth.
If our hearts are renewed in the likeness of God, if the divine love is implanted in the soul, will not the law of God be carried out in the life? When the principle of love is implanted in the heart, when man is renewed after the image of Him that created him, the new covenant promise is fulfilled. . . . Obedience--the service and allegiance of love--is the true sign of discipleship (Steps to Christ, pp. 59, 60).

The Christian's life should be one of faith, of victory, and joy in God. "Whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith." Truly spake God's servant Nehemiah, "The joy of the Lord is your strength." Nehemiah 8:10. {FLB 126.2}

Faith claims God's promises, and brings forth fruit in obedience.
To abide in faith is to walk humbly with the Lord, to appropriate His promises, and apply them to all occasions, believing that God will work out His own plans and purposes in your heart and life.

What could be more reliable than pure faith in God's promises? Take the blessed promises of God and apply them to yourself, bearing your whole weight upon them? This is faith.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/28/24 11:09 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by dedication. 04/29/24 07:16 PM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 04/29/24 04:47 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!