HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,619
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 21
kland 9
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, Nadi, 2 invisible), 3,429 guests, and 16 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 30 of 51 1 2 28 29 30 31 32 50 51
Re: Christian Perfection of Character - what and how. [Re: Mountain Man] #83859
01/11/07 06:04 PM
01/11/07 06:04 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
TE: If so, think of the choices the Jimmy Stewart character made, sacrificing himself for the good of others. These weren't sins. Nothing in inspiration teaches this.

MM: “But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags.” (Isa 64:6) “As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one.” (Rom 3:10)

TE: If what you are asserting were true (that a single sin causes you to be lost) then Ellen White's statement could not be true.

MM: A single unconfessed, unforsaken sin makes us lost. Of course, we can repent and be saved. But if we refuse to repent, we are lost.

TE: This is an interesting statement. Sinning does not separate us from Jesus.

MM: We cannot sin while we are choosing to abide in Jesus. We must first stop abiding in Him before we can commit a known sin. Sinning is what we do because we are separated from Jesus. It is not what separates us. Continuing in sin continues our separation. Repentance is what restores us to Jesus.

TE: According to you, this translation implies that born again believers will continue to sin, yet the verse says exactly the opposite!

MM: It implies that born again believers 1) will, from time to time, sin, but 2) they will not continue sinning once they realize they are sinning. Instead, 3) they will repent and stop sinning as soon as they are aware of it.

The KJV, on the other hand, states they do not and cannot commit a known sin while abiding in Jesus. I spelled it out verse by verse in my last post.

Re: Christian Perfection of Character - what and how. [Re: Mountain Man] #83865
01/11/07 07:29 PM
01/11/07 07:29 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man

Is he now free to transgress God's law? Says Paul: "Do we then make void the law through faith? God forbid: yea, we establish the law." "How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein?" And John declares: "This is the love of God, that we keep His commandments: and His commandments are not grievous." Romans 3:31; 6:2; 1 John 5:3. In the new birth the heart is brought into harmony with God, as it is brought into accord with His law.

1Jo 3:23 And this is his commandment, That we should believe on the name of his Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, as he gave us commandment.

Galatians 2
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

It is so hazardous to take here a little and there a little. If you put the right little's together you can make the bible teach anything you wish. //Graham Maxwell
Re: Christian Perfection of Character - what and how. [Re: Mountain Man] #83866
01/11/07 07:31 PM
01/11/07 07:31 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden

TE: According to you, this translation implies that born again believers will continue to sin, yet the verse says exactly the opposite!

MM: It implies that born again believers 1) will, from time to time, sin, but 2) they will not continue sinning once they realize they are sinning. Instead, 3) they will repent and stop sinning as soon as they are aware of it.

The KJV, on the other hand, states they do not and cannot commit a known sin while abiding in Jesus. I spelled it out verse by verse in my last post.
Mike, would you happen to have the proper skills to figgure out what the greek text says in this passage?

Galatians 2
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

It is so hazardous to take here a little and there a little. If you put the right little's together you can make the bible teach anything you wish. //Graham Maxwell
Re: Christian Perfection of Character - what and how. [Re: Mountain Man] #83867
01/11/07 07:34 PM
01/11/07 07:34 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
TE: If so, think of the choices the Jimmy Stewart character made, sacrificing himself for the good of others. These weren't sins. Nothing in inspiration teaches this.

MM: “But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags.” (Isa 64:6) “As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one.” (Rom 3:10)

The first verse is dealing with self-righteousness, trying to merit God's favor. The second statement is making the case that no one is perfectly righteous. All have sinned. This is a very different thing than saying that a person can do nothing but sin. Neither of these texts is discussing your point of view.

TE: If what you are asserting were true (that a single sin causes you to be lost) then Ellen White's statement could not be true.

MM: A single unconfessed, unforsaken sin makes us lost. Of course, we can repent and be saved. But if we refuse to repent, we are lost.

She wrote that an occasional misdeed or occasional good deed does not comprise character. I just restated what she said, which viewpoint I consider to be perfectly reasonable and in harmony with what we see in Scripture.

TE: This is an interesting statement. Sinning does not separate us from Jesus.

MM: We cannot sin while we are choosing to abide in Jesus. We must first stop abiding in Him before we can commit a known sin. Sinning is what we do because we are separated from Jesus. It is not what separates us. Continuing in sin continues our separation. Repentance is what restores us to Jesus.

You are continuing to assert that sinning does not separate us from God, correct? If I found a statement that said "sinning separates us from God," would that make any difference? I expect the answer is "no," because you would respond that the statement is using "sin" or "separate" in some other sense than you are.

The verse says that no one who is born again will continue to sin. According to you, what this is implies is that one who is born again will continue to sin. That's weird reasoning.

How you get 1), 2) and 3) from the simple statement that "no one who is born of God will continue to sin" is odd too.

This isn't right either. That's not what the KJV says. (Take another look, and you can see how what it says differs from what you are saying it says.)

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Christian Perfection of Character - what and how. [Re: Mountain Man] #83875
01/11/07 08:45 PM
01/11/07 08:45 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
TE: This is a very different thing than saying that a person can do nothing but sin. Neither of these texts is discussing your point of view.

MM: Tom, are you implying that an unbelieving sinner can do good works? What is the origin and source of his good works? Paul wrote:

Romans
7:18 For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but [how] to perform that which is good I find not.

TE: How you get 1), 2) and 3) from the simple statement that "no one who is born of God will continue to sin" is odd too.

MM: Tom, please help me understand the differences between the NIV and the KJV. Thank you.

1. What is the difference between “continue to sin” and “doth not commit sin”?

2. What is the difference between “he cannot go on sinning” and “he cannot sin”?

1 John (NIV)
3:9 No one who is born of God will continue to sin, because God's seed remains in him; he cannot go on sinning, because he has been born of God.

1 John (KJV)
3:9 Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.

Re: Christian Perfection of Character - what and how. [Re: Mountain Man] #83876
01/11/07 08:58 PM
01/11/07 08:58 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
TV: Mike, would you happen to have the proper skills to figgure out what the greek text says in this passage?

MM: Yes. I have the same sources available to me that are available to you.

"Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin." He feels that he is the purchase of the blood of Christ and bound by the most solemn vows to glorify God in his body and in his spirit, which are God's. The love of sin and the love of self are subdued in him. He daily asks: "What shall I render unto the Lord for all His benefits toward me?" "Lord, what wilt Thou have me to do?"

The true Christian will never complain that the yoke of Christ is galling to the neck. He accounts the service of Jesus as the truest freedom. The law of God is his delight. Instead of seeking to bring down the divine commands, to accord with his deficiencies, he is constantly striving to rise to the level of their perfection.

It is through faith in Jesus Christ that the truth is accepted in the heart and the human agent is purified and cleansed. Jesus was "wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed." Is it possible to be healed, while knowingly committing sin?

No; it is genuine faith that says, I know that I have committed sin, but that Jesus has pardoned my sin; and hereafter I will resist temptation in and through His might. "Every man that hath this hope in him purifieth himself, even as he is pure." He has an abiding principle in the soul, that enables him to overcome temptation.

"Whosoever abideth in him sinneth not." God has power to keep the soul who is in Christ, when that soul is under temptation. "Whosoever sinneth hath not seen him, neither known him." That is, every one who is a true believer is sanctified through the truth, in life and character. "Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth {not professeth to do} righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous."

"Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; . . . because he is born of God. In this the children of God are manifest, and the children of the devil." Now mark where the distinction is made: "Whosoever doeth not righteousness is not of God, neither is he that loveth not his brother." "My little children, let us not love in word, neither in tongue, but in deed and in truth."

Re: Christian Perfection of Character - what and how. [Re: Mountain Man] #83877
01/11/07 09:04 PM
01/11/07 09:04 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
TV: 1Jo 3:23 And this is his commandment, That we should believe on the name of his Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, as he gave us commandment.

MM: Thomas, do you see a discrepancy between what I posted and the verse you quoted?

Re: Christian Perfection of Character - what and how. [Re: Mountain Man] #83878
01/11/07 09:41 PM
01/11/07 09:41 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
TE: This is a very different thing than saying that a person can do nothing but sin. Neither of these texts is discussing your point of view.

MM: Tom, are you implying that an unbelieving sinner can do good works? What is the origin and source of his good works?

I'm "implying" just what I said. People, before they are born again, can make right decisions, in accordance with God's will. God alone is good. He is the source for all good, whether for unbelivers or not.

Paul wrote:

Romans
7:18 For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but [how] to perform that which is good I find not.

TE: How you get 1), 2) and 3) from the simple statement that "no one who is born of God will continue to sin" is odd too.

MM: Tom, please help me understand the differences between the NIV and the KJV. Thank you.

1. What is the difference between “continue to sin” and “doth not commit sin”?

2. What is the difference between “he cannot go on sinning” and “he cannot sin”?

1 John (NIV)
3:9 No one who is born of God will continue to sin, because God's seed remains in him; he cannot go on sinning, because he has been born of God.

1 John (KJV)
3:9 Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.

The difference is in you, in how you are interpreting the versions. You, for some odd reason, are interpreting the NIV, which says, "No one who is born of God will continue to sin" to mean "One who is born of God will continue to sin."

There's a verse which reads, "A good tree cannot produce bad fruit." (Matt. 7:18). This doesn't mean that no good tree ever in the history of man has produced a bad fruit, but rather that, as a general practice, good trees to not produce bad fruit. Indeed, it is the fact that they, as a general practice, produce good fruit that makes them good trees. Similarly one who is born of God cannot sin. In the same way that a good tree cannot produce bad fruit. The born again person is not characterized by a life of sin. It's not saying that a born again is not able to commit a sin.

Did you catch your error regarding what you said the King James version says and what it actually says?

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Christian Perfection of Character - what and how. [Re: Mountain Man] #83883
01/11/07 10:56 PM
01/11/07 10:56 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden

MM: Tom, are you implying that an unbelieving sinner can do good works? What is the origin and source of his good works? Paul wrote:

Romans

Mat 7:9 Or what man is there of you, whom if his son ask bread, will he give him a stone?
Mat 7:10 Or if he ask a fish, will he give him a serpent?
Mat 7:11 If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children, how much more shall your Father which is in heaven give good things to them that ask him?

Galatians 2

Re: Christian Perfection of Character - what and how. [Re: Mountain Man] #83884
01/11/07 10:57 PM
01/11/07 10:57 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
TV: 1Jo 3:23 And this is his commandment, That we should believe on the name of his Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, as he gave us commandment.

MM: Thomas, do you see a discrepancy between what I posted and the verse you quoted?
It seems to me that this verse tells us what John means by "His commandments". I thought that was worth pointing out.

Galatians 2

Page 30 of 51 1 2 28 29 30 31 32 50 51

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/30/24 10:34 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:07 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!