HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,631
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 21
kland 6
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Daryl
Daryl
Nova Scotia, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, Kevin H, Daryl, dedication, TheophilusOne, 1 invisible), 3,255 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: II Cor 3 #8399
12/09/01 08:08 AM
12/09/01 08:08 AM
J
James Saptenno  Offline
Charter Member
Active Member 2012
Dedicated Member
Jakarta, Indonesia
Romans 8:8 “Those controlled by the sinful nature cannot please God.” NIV
“So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God” – KJV.

WHO are those controlled by the sinful nature, who are those that live in the flesh? They are those who have the “works of the flesh.”

Galatians 5:19-21 “Now the works of the flesh are manifested, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness, idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies, envying, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such alike;”

These all iniquities and wickedness varies in “deeds” but based on the same PRINCIPLE, which is ‘SELF LOVE.” It comes from the mind that was sets on SELF, and since SELF-LOVE is the SIN that dominates us, our character that falls short of the glory of God or His agape love, then these works of the flesh is done by SIN.

“Now, the law is not based on faith, but who DOES all these things will live by them” – Galatians 3:12.

So, then, if keeping the law doesn’t require faith, WHO does the deeds of the law, who does the OBEDIENCE of the law?

There is only SIN in me, it is me, it is my nature. And so, if “Whatever is not of faith is SIN” – Romans 14:23, then the one who does the obedience of the law is the SIN in me, it is ME my SELF.

What then SIN can do regarding obedience to the law? It can only fulfil the LETTER OF THE LAW with deeds that conforms or is based on SELF-LOVE. Do these “deeds” please God? NO! “Those controlled by the sinful nature (his deeds) can not please God.” Why not? Because it was based on SELF, and not on FAITH, there is no “love agape” in these deeds except “self love.” This proves that the deeds were done by an UNBELIEVER.

That’s why “the letter kills”, the ministry that was engraved on stone tablets lead to death. Because it fulfils only one aspect of the law: deeds of the law according to the letter, but fails to fulfil the other demands of the law which is the principle of the law: LOVE.

Thus, it is true that “all who rely on observing the law are under CURSE” – Galatians 3:10, because NO ONE is justified by the law and all were under condemnation. As these deeds is not based on faith then this is a proof that the doers of the law has no faith in Christ, they are not IN CHRIST yet.

And if they are not “in Him” (even though they claim that they believe Him), is there grace for them? The bible answer this with: “You then, My son, be strong in the GRACE THAT IS IN CHRIST JESUS” – 2 Timothy 2:1.

“In Him we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God’s grace” – Ephesians 1:7.

And since they are not “in Him” yet, but still “in the law” that should bring them to Him, but because of their UNBELIEF, they like more to be in the law, to live within the law boundaries, to be “under the law” guidance rather then to be LED BY THE SPIRIT. Then, what will happen with them? If they reject God’s grace, if they reject to be “in Him” by giving up the law (giving up SELF), could they then be saved through their obedience to the law?

“By observing the law no one will be justified “ and “Clearly no one is justified before God by the law” – Galatians 2:16; 3:11.

And if there are no “justification by the law”, what then REMAINS for them?
“All who sin under the law will be judge by the law” – Romans 2:12.

How sad and hopeless are they who set their mind on the flesh, who live not according to the Spirit but to the sinful nature, who wants to obey the letter of the law that kills.

And the law really KILLS, because under it judgment, the wages of SIN is death. All law keepers lives in SIN because they are under the law and not under grace (Romans 6:14).

But, we, believers in Christ, “having believed, we were marked in Him with a ZEAL, the promised Holy Spirit” – Ephesians 1:13, and sets our mind on what the Spirit desires – Romans 8:5.

Praise God that :”The just shall live by faith” and this faith we have “in Christ” who will lead us by living in us.

In His love

James S.

Re: II Cor 3 #8400
12/09/01 03:31 PM
12/09/01 03:31 PM
J
James Saptenno  Offline
Charter Member
Active Member 2012
Dedicated Member
Jakarta, Indonesia
2 Corinthians 4:18 “So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.

2 Corinthians 5:7 “We live by faith, not by sight.

Hebrew 12:2 “Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith.”

What is seen and what is unseen?

The letter of the law engraved on stone tablets and the deeds according to the letter, this can be seen, and what is seen is temporary. This is a life by sight, focused on SELF and on what the letter of the law desire.

Jesus is unseen, His Spirit is unseen and the fruit of the Spirit is unseen but fills the hearts of his believers. The world might see the fruit of the Spirit in the “deeds” of love, but they can’t see the “source” of these deeds as it is not engraved on stone tablets or written with ink, but it is written on the tablets of our heart by the Spirit. And what is unseen is eternal. This is a life by faith, fixing our eyes on Jesus that is unseen, setting our mind onwhat the (unseen) Spirit desire.

In His love

James S.

Re: II Cor 3 #8401
12/12/01 03:49 AM
12/12/01 03:49 AM
Daryl  Online Canadian

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
I didn't misinterpret it for the law is established and not nullified. I may not have said we, however, I emphasized there in red that we establish the law.

Whether we establish it or not, the fact is that the law is established and not nullified.

Who is we? Every believer in Jesus Christ, whether Jew or Gentile, is we.

Re: II Cor 3 #8402
12/12/01 09:09 AM
12/12/01 09:09 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered

James

I have read through this topic and I feel that your comments about the law are a little off balance.

By balance, I mean that your posted comments here, seem to over emphasize the fact that the law does not save us.

As Seventh day Adventists, we have often had to endure accusations of being "law-keepers," and I am not sure if this is what you are thinking or not; but when you consider the following verse, and other related Scriptures; it would be really hard to prove from the Bible that the law was somehow lessened in it's importance, because of Calvary.

Here is the verse:

Isaiah 42:21 The LORD is well pleased for his righteousness’ sake; he will magnify the law, and make it honourable. {it: or, him}

I hope you are not trying to make the law of God dishonourable, just to try and prove that we are saved by grace. Grace does not need proof. But, it does need the law, or else grace is not needed.

If I have mis-judged your comments, please forgive me, and let us know what you are thinking.

The reasons why God's law can never be lessened, or abolished, is because His law, that is, especially the Ten Commandments; are a Biblical transcript of His character; and who He is

For eg.

1) a> God is just: Rom.3;26
b> God's law is just: Rom.7:12

2) a> God is true: Jo.3:33
b> God's law is true: Neh.9:13

3) a> God is pure: 1 Jo.3:3
b> God's law is pure: Ps.19:7-8

There are many more examples I wil post later if you are interested.

The law is the gospel concealed
The gospel is the law revealed

The law is the gospel fulness delayed
The gospel is the law portrayed

The law is the gospel contained
The gospel is the law maintained

The law is the gospel sighted
The gospel is the law lighted

The law is Christ-designed
The gospel is Christ-enshrined

The gospel of our Lord AND Savior, Jesus Christ the righteous, is wonderfully simple, and simply wonderful!

Re: II Cor 3 #8403
12/12/01 02:44 PM
12/12/01 02:44 PM
J
James Saptenno  Offline
Charter Member
Active Member 2012
Dedicated Member
Jakarta, Indonesia
I didn't misinterpret it for the law is established and not nullified. I may not have said we, however, I emphasized there in red that we establish the law.
Whether we establish it or not, the fact is that the law is established and not nullified.
Who is we? Every believer in Jesus Christ, whether Jew or Gentile, is we.

Daryl.

We establish the law and that is a fact! For whom? That is the question?

Christ abolished the law in Him and that is a fact? For whom? For us, His believers IN ORDER we might live by FAITH. Otherwise, being under the law we will only do the obedience of the letter based on SELF-LOVE or the SIN in us. And that will made us forever under curse, Christ died in vain.

In His love

James S.

Re: II Cor 3 #8404
12/12/01 02:47 PM
12/12/01 02:47 PM
J
James Saptenno  Offline
Charter Member
Active Member 2012
Dedicated Member
Jakarta, Indonesia
David T.Batler wrote:

As Seventh day Adventists, we have often had to endure accusations of being "law-keepers," and I am not sure if this is what you are thinking or not; but when you consider the following verse, and other related Scriptures; it would be really hard to prove from the Bible that the law was somehow lessened in it's importance, because of Calvary.
Here is the verse:
Isaiah 42:21 The LORD is well pleased for his righteousness’ sake; he will magnify the law, and make it honourable. {it: or, him}

Unquote.

Brother David, the law is not lessened in it’s important, it is ABOLISHED and TAKEN AWAY for Christ believers. There is no more law for those who are “in Christ” to obey and be under the law! If you think differently, please clarify and refute one by one the verses I have given above posted on December 01.

You quote Isaiah 42:21 that was said in the Old covenant time, if it was meant as an indication that men must keep it, then it was really meant for the people of that time. For now, it is over and finish.

Quote:

The reasons why God's law can never be lessened, or abolished, is because His law, that is, especially the Ten Commandments; are a Biblical transcript of His character; and who He is

Unquote.

The law is a transcript of His character but the law is not HIM.
The law demands obedience for a reward of eternal life, but condemn with eternal death for those who disobey. On the contrary God judge with love, and being under His grace He “remember our sins and iniquities no more.”
The law guides men from outward with external obedience; an obedience to the LETTER OF THE LAW, but CONDEMN men for their failure in obeying the spirit of the law “love agape”, God’s character as the principle of the law, because those who keep the law their obedience was based on SIN or self-love and not of faith.
Only by faith through the Spirit that leads men from inside, both the letter and the spirit of the law is fulfilled. It is God who is in you who does this all.

Who needs a law anymore?

In His love

James S.

Re: II Cor 3 #8405
12/13/01 07:49 PM
12/13/01 07:49 PM
J
James Saptenno  Offline
Charter Member
Active Member 2012
Dedicated Member
Jakarta, Indonesia
Why did God give mankind (Israel) the Torah with the 10 Commandments in it? Was His intention that mankind might get a righteousness by the law that brings “life” as a reward or has He any other intention?

For obedience:
“Ye shall do my judgments, and keep mine ordinances, to walk therein; I am the Lord your God. Ye shall therefore keep my statutes, and My judgments; WHICH IF A MAN DO, HE SHALL LIVE IN THEM; I am the Lord” – Leviticus 18:4,5

For disobedience:
“Cursed be he that confirmeth not all the words of this law to do them” – Deuteronomy 27:26.

According to Paul:
Romans 7:10 “I found that the very commandment that was INTENDED TO BRING LIFE actually brought death.” (NIV).

Galatians 3:21 “………..For if there had been a law given which could have given life, verily righteousness should have been by the law.”

What will we learn from those verses above?

1. The law was given with the intention that the law keepers (Israel) might be redeemed from the death through their perfect obedience and rewarded with life eternal.
2. But the fact that Christ did come and redeemed mankind, we knew that the law could not save (redeem) the law keepers through their obedience and justify them as a righteous person that have the right to claim life eternal as their reward.

Did God know that NO MAN would pass the judgment of the law for righteousness so that all men will be found guilty and must die because of their sins? Yes, He knew! If He knew that, why then God gave mankind (Israel) a law that they could not keep and fulfil it demands? What was His REAL intention? Even there is no law STILL all men must die because of SIN was already in the world. IOW without law or with a law death reigned in the world (Romans 5:12-14). So, what was God real intention by giving mankind His holy law that no one could keep?

To SHOW HIS GREAT LOVE AND MERCY, that He is a God with LOVE that seeks NO SELF. And to REVEAL the REAL CHARACTER of Satan, unrevealing his LOVE FOR SELF.

And God has shown mankind and the whole universe His great love - mercy and grace through Jesus Christ the Son of God that came to redeem mankind with His death.

In His love

James S.

Re: II Cor 3 #8406
12/13/01 07:51 PM
12/13/01 07:51 PM
J
James Saptenno  Offline
Charter Member
Active Member 2012
Dedicated Member
Jakarta, Indonesia
To continue with the above, why did God give mankind a law that they could not obey and fulfil the demands?

Because the law is holy, good and just, it was a transcript of His character, it was based on His principle that ruled heaven and the whole universe. The law has a principle that conforms with the principle of the kingdom of God; LOVE THAT SEEKS NO SELF (agape).

“But men were carnal, unspiritual and sold under SIN.” Men were slaves to SIN, men have the principle of the world as their nature that it origin comes from the master of the world, Satan and his SELF-LOVE principle.

Thus, God could not give a law that conforms to the principle of the world, “I am who I am”, and He is agape.

Back again to God’s real intention in giving mankind (Israel) His holy law, which is to show the world and the whole universe His great love, mercy and grace through the life and death and resurrection of Jesus Christ that redeems and saves us, we come to know that the purpose or function of the law does not lay on our obedience or disobedience (IOW our performance) but lays on our knowledge and acceptance of the plan of salvation.

Because there is no difference, all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God. NO ONE could be saved through keeping the law, and so, obedience or disobedience doesn’t matter. In God’s eyes we REMAIN sinners and for the law sake all law-keepers are sinners and were slave to SIN.

But through Christ Jesus, God introduced His great love – mercy and grace that saves mankind. In Christ Jesus, God released men from their slavery and bondage to SIN and granted them with life eternal as a gift. Two things that man could not get from keeping the law.

Then, what is the REAL purpose of the law?

To introduce Christ, the love of God, to lead law-keepers to Christ for their redemption and salvation after they had been judge and condemn to death by the law (no matter they obey or disobey) for their SIN and sins.

In His love

James S.

Re: II Cor 3 #8407
12/13/01 07:52 PM
12/13/01 07:52 PM
J
James Saptenno  Offline
Charter Member
Active Member 2012
Dedicated Member
Jakarta, Indonesia
“The law is only a shadow of the good things that are coming – not the realities themselves” – Hebrew 10:1

The law is holy, good and just but to compare with the One that would come, the law is no less then a shadow and not the real thing. It seems that it would give life (through obedience) but in fact the law could only condemn and kill the law keeper with death sentence (no matter they obey or disobey), but Christ – the Real Thing – judge with love – mercy and grace and in Him there is life.

When God proclaimed His covenant and brought in the ministry of law and obedience that was engraved on stones tablets, men (Israel) were being lead to Christ through their knowledge of SIN and their failure in keeping it with an obedience that might satisfy the demands of the law both in the spirit and in the letter.

Some of them knew the purpose of the law, and resting their hope to the One that would come, they obeyed God with love and faith that comes from the Spirit. But some others have wandering away from faith and by erecting their own righteousness, they stumbled on the “corner stone” and didn’t enter His rest.

“But when the fullness of the time was come, God sent forth His Son, made of a woman, made under the law, to redeem them that were under the law, that we might receive the adoption of sons” – Galatians 4:4,5.

And since then, a new covenant and a new ministry came in effect, a covenant of GRACE and the ministry of the Spirit. “The former regulation is set aside because it was weak and useless (for the law made nothing perfect) and a better hope is introduced, by which we draw near to God” – Hebrew 7:18.

“The ministry that brought death, which was engraved in letters on stone…….was fading away, to be substituted with the ministry of the Spirit of the living God that gives life” – 2 Corinthians 3:3,6-11.

The old covenant with it ministry ends in Christ, shadow met the body. A better hope was introduced through Christ and His ministry of the Spirit that reconcile mankind to God in Him (Ephesians 2:16; Colossians 1:22).

When the law made nothing perfect, when the law only kills the law keepers, when Christ has abandon the law that kills and give men a new means of worship that gives life through justification by faith as a free gift; WHY should there be any needs to be under the law again? Why is there any works needed when works means nothing (for salvation)? Either you keep the law or you break the law, either you obey or disobey, you gain nothing except death. Because under God’s holy law, you are a sinner that deserve death as the wages of SIN. And since it is a fact that you remain a sinner till Christ come for your glorification and putting on a glorified body, keeping the law will do us no good but harm. In Christ we were released from the law (obligation) and Christ in us sets us free from SIN and condemnation (Romans 7:4,6; 8:1,2). What more is needed? Nothing! Except our FAITH! Because with faith we show the world that we know God and accept His plan of salvation, we believe because we understand God’s way in saving men. It does not lay on our obedience or disobedience to His holy law, but lays on our faith in Him.

Thus, GET RID OF THE SLAVE WOMAN and her sons (law and SIN) and be not entangled with the yoke of bondage. Christ has SET you FREE!

Keeping the letter of the law shows only that you have no faith in Christ.

In His love

James S.

Re: II Cor 3 #8408
12/14/01 07:13 PM
12/14/01 07:13 PM
J
James Saptenno  Offline
Charter Member
Active Member 2012
Dedicated Member
Jakarta, Indonesia
“Whoever commiteth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law” – 1 John 3:4.

If sin here refers only to the transgression of the letter of the law, then many of the law keepers will be sinless through their obedience. We have some examples from the bible such as Saul the Pharisee (Phil. 3:6) and the rich young man in Matthew 19:16-26.

But as “the whole world become guilty before God because all men has sinned and fall short of the glory of God”, besides it was a fact that Christ came and died to redeem mankind; we come a conclusion that sin is not only a transgression to the letter of the law but also a transgression to the spirit of the law. And in the case of “sin is a transgression to the law” it refers to the nature of SIN that transgressed the spirit of the law.

We all agree that the spirit of the law is love that seeks no self or love agape, the nature of God. Then what else is a transgression to the nature of God if it is not SELF-LOVE.

Thus, SELF-LOVE transgressed the nature of God, self-love is against the character of God. “Self-love” falls short of God’s agape love, which is the glory of God.

Conclusion: SIN as a transgression to the law covers both the transgressions to the letter and also to the spirit of the law.

In His love

James S.

Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/12/24 10:01 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!