HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,631
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 24
kland 6
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Daryl
Daryl
Nova Scotia, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, TheophilusOne, 1 invisible), 3,641 guests, and 13 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 103 1 2 3 4 5 102 103
Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Tom] #84727
02/02/07 05:08 PM
02/02/07 05:08 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
I agree. In the case of unconditional prophecies, although things didn't need to have happened that way (because man is a free moral agent), God knew they would happen that way, and expressed it accordingly.

This is indirectly lumping together two things which are mutually contradictory, unless you use a compatibilitistic definition of free will (which you aren't). That is, if we assume that God knew things would happen in a certain way (not could, but would), then it is not possible that they could have happened in any other way. This should be obvious. (for example, consider if the following question can be answered "no". God has known for all eternity that X will happen at a precise time in a precise place. Is it possible that X not happen?)

Given that only one thing can happen at a given time in the future, which is the thing that God knows will happen, then it follows that a free moral agent does not really have the possibility of doing something different than the only thing that can happen at the given time in the future. He may think he can, but it's an illusion. Even the act of thinking he can do something different is the only thing he could have done at that time he was thinking it.

The problem that comes into play is not that God's knowing something will happen gets in the way of what one chooses to do. It doesn't. Everyone knows that. The problem is that it rests upon certain assumptions regarding the nature of the future (that is, the future is determined), which in turn contradict the imcompatibilistic or libertarian concept of free will. One can avoid the contradiction involved if one uses the compatibilistic definition.

The reason the compatibilistic definition of free will is called "compatible" is because it is compatible with the notion of a determined future. The definition of free will is given that a being has free will if said being is free to do what he wants. This definition does not rest upon the notion of valid options. One can have free will, although one has only one option (the future being determined) because one is free to do what one wants.

Jonathan Edward's work "Freedom of the Will" discusses this definition in detail here: http://www.ccel.org/ccel/edwards/will.html (click on "plain text" to view on line).

The imcompatibilistic definition, also called "libertarian", asserts that free will implies that not only must the free moral agent have the desire to do something (either A or B), but must possess the ability to do those things (that is, it really is possible to do A and not B, or vice versa). It is "imcompibilisitic" because it is not compatible with determinism.

What's happening here is a mixture of deterministic ideas (only one thing can happen at a given time in the future) and libertarian ideas (a free moral agent can choose between different options, implying that more than one thing can happen at a given time in the future). So to be logically consistent, we can either go along with Edwards, who proposes the compatibilistic definition and shows the results of this view, or we can go with the libertarian definition (a free moral agent can not just desire to do A and not B, or vice versa, but actually do it), and accept the implications of that view. But it's logically inconsistent to mix and match from one system to the other.

Now Lutheran theology does this, but it admits to the logical inconsistency. It says its theology (specifically regarding predestination; which it asserts applies only to the elect, but not to the last; i.e. they reject Calvin's double predestination, which includes the lost being predestined to being lost) is not logical, but it is Biblical. In so asserting, Lutheranism is being honest (in recognizing that it's not logically consistent).

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Tom] #84728
02/02/07 05:15 PM
02/02/07 05:15 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
Right. Nothing in the NT, the Revelation in particular, is conditional.

This is quite a statement, MM. "Nothing in the NT ... is conditional". Well since you singled out Revelation, I'll pick something from there, but there must be hundreds of examples that one could pick from the NT to show your assertion is false.

Quote:
Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me. (Rev. 3:20)

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Tom] #84729
02/02/07 05:18 PM
02/02/07 05:18 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
The conditional prophecies, as Jeremiah 18 shows, are the prophecies related to nations (promises and threats), given in order to motivate those nations to turn from their sinful ways and follow God. I don't remember any conditional prophecies in the NT.

A conditional prophecy is a prophecy which has conditions, right? Just off the top of my head, wouldn't everything in the 7 letters to the churches in Revelation fall into this category? They are chock full of "ifs," stipulating conditions upon which either this or that will happen. That's conditional prophecy, isn't it?

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Mountain Man] #84734
02/02/07 07:47 PM
02/02/07 07:47 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
The "line" goes all over the place without inspired guidance. The Remnant Church is blessed with the Spirit of Prophecy. The book, Last Day Events, provides awesome insights into the mind of God. In the SOP we have a more sure word of prophecy. Without it we are no better off than people who read stuff like The Left Behind series.
I disagree with most of this.

Galatians 2
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

It is so hazardous to take here a little and there a little. If you put the right little's together you can make the bible teach anything you wish. //Graham Maxwell
Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Tom] #84747
02/02/07 11:08 PM
02/02/07 11:08 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Tom,

I see nothing “incompatibilistic” in the notion that it’s I who decide if I will be saved or lost, because I am a free moral agent, but God knows beforehand which will be my decision, because He knows the end from the beginning.

Quote:
A conditional prophecy is a prophecy which has conditions, right?

I would define it as a promise or threat whose fulfillment depends on certain conditions. I wouldn’t classify the 7 letters, for instance, as conditional prophecy. It seems to me the conditional prophecies consist just of the promises or threats themselves, without an “if”. If you have an “if”, you no longer have a prophecy, but just a promise or warning which can only be true. Statements like “If you don’t repent you will be lost” or “If you accept Christ you will be saved” are not prophecies – they are truths, aren’t they?

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Tom] #84755
02/03/07 12:17 AM
02/03/07 12:17 AM
Daryl  Offline

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
I didn't say His alternate death would have also been on a cross.

Where did you get that idea?

I only said that He would die this alternate death at the same precise time He died on the cross. I was referring to the same exact timing of His death, not the manner in which He would die.

I guess I am not the only one who is guilty of not reading another person's post carefully and properly, or is it my wording that may have been confusing?

In His Love, Mercy & Grace,

Daryl smile

John 8:32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

http://www.christians-discuss.com/forum/index.php
Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Daryl] #84757
02/03/07 12:28 AM
02/03/07 12:28 AM
Daryl  Offline

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
What about the prophecy concerning Judas Iscariot?

What about the prophecy that Peter would deny Christ?

Were these conditional prophecies? If it were not a conditional prophecy, then why would Christ give Judas every opportunity to not go ahead with his plans of betrayal, by telling him what he was going to do, knowing the choice Judas would make?

At any rate, the above two prophecies are telling us what choice each would make even to the point of who would repent and who wouldn't repent.

In His Love, Mercy & Grace,

Daryl smile

John 8:32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

http://www.christians-discuss.com/forum/index.php
Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Daryl] #84760
02/03/07 01:50 AM
02/03/07 01:50 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, none of the prophecies in the Revelation are conditional. The example you cited is a conditional promise, not an unconditional prophecy. There are plenty of promises and prophecies in the Revelation. Which prophecy do you think is conditional?

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Mountain Man] #84763
02/03/07 03:42 AM
02/03/07 03:42 AM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
I see nothing “incompatibilistic” in the notion that it’s I who decide if I will be saved or lost, because I am a free moral agent, but God knows beforehand which will be my decision, because He knows the end from the beginning.

The incompatible part has to do with the idea that the future is determined yet we as free moral agents have not only the desire but the ability to do different things. That is, at a given time X, you can choose to do A rather than B, or B rather than A. If God has known from all eternity that X will happen at a given time (say, for example, X is the event that you will do A), then it is certain that you will do A and not B. There is no logical contradiction if one holds to the definition of free will as your being able to do whatever you want to do (incompabitibilistic definition of free will). There is a logical contradiction if one holds to the definition of free will as you being able to do B and not A. In the statement you wrote that I responded to you wrote:

Quote:
In the case of unconditional prophecies, although things didn't need to have happened that way (because man is a free moral agent), God knew they would happen that way, and expressed it accordingly.

The contradiction comes between the phrase "although things didn't need to have happened that way (because man is a free moral agent)," which implies the incompatabilistic definition of free will, and the phrase "God knew they would happen that way, and expressed it accordingly," which implies the compatibilistic definition.

In simpler terms, either "things" didn't need to have happened that way, or they did. It can't be both.

Quote:

Quote:
A conditional prophecy is a prophecy which has conditions, right?

I would define it as a promise or threat whose fulfillment depends on certain conditions. I wouldn’t classify the 7 letters, for instance, as conditional prophecy. It seems to me the conditional prophecies consist just of the promises or threats themselves, without an “if”. If you have an “if”, you no longer have a prophecy, but just a promise or warning which can only be true. Statements like “If you don’t repent you will be lost” or “If you accept Christ you will be saved” are not prophecies – they are truths, aren’t they?

I'm sorry but I'm not understanding you. At first you say that a conditional prophecy is a promise of threat whose fulfillment depends on certain conditions. This would be involving an "if". "If" you do this good thing, then this good thing will happen. "If" you do this bad thing, then that bad thing will happen. That's what conditional promises and threats are. You can't have conditionality with "if."

Then you say if you have an "if," you no longer have a prophecy. That would imply you don't believe in conditional prophecy at all. If there's no "if," there's no conditionality. If there's no "if," (you say) there's no prophecy. So you can't have conditional prophecy.

I take it you don't consider Jeremiah to be prophetic, since Jeremiah 18 explains the promises and threats in terms of "if."

Regarding your last sentence, that's exactly right! They are truths, and that's exactly what prophecy is! To prophecy means "a discourse emanating from divine inspiration". It needn't be a prediction. For example, Ellen White exercised her prophetic gift as much with the health messages as with the predictions in "The Great Controversy". So the example statements you gave are truths, and they are prophecies.

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Tom] #84764
02/03/07 03:45 AM
02/03/07 03:45 AM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Daryl, you're right, I misread your post (which, you may note, I am recognizing and admitting; I think I am the only one guilty of this!)

Page 3 of 103 1 2 3 4 5 102 103

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/12/24 10:01 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!