HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,632
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 20
kland 5
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Daryl
Daryl
Nova Scotia, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Daryl, Kevin H), 3,289 guests, and 10 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 7 of 103 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 102 103
Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Mountain Man] #84935
02/06/07 03:29 PM
02/06/07 03:29 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Rosangela, thank you. Nicely put. I agree with it. Even in cases involving conditional promises or prophecies, ones which can go either way depending on human choice, God knows exactly how it will play out beforehand, from eternity past.

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Rosangela] #84950
02/06/07 05:14 PM
02/06/07 05:14 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
I still don't know the answer to this question, "In regards to Judas, is it possible that Judas could have not betrayed Christ?"

In case this isn't clear, I'm asking if it actually could have happened that Judas did not betray Christ. (i.e. could we have had a history which did not have Judas betraying Christ).

Let's say that it's given that history up until the point in time when Judas decided to betray Christ is as we know it (so prophecy has already been recorded).

Regarding the purpose of prophecy, I don't think any of the contemporaries of prophecy thought of it as having anything to do with God's omniscience. That weren't concerned about what God knew, but with what He could do. Indeed, the prophecy states:

Quote:
Calling a bird of prey from the east, The man who executes My counsel, from a far country. Indeed I have spoken it; I will also bring it to pass. I have purposed it; I will also do it. (Isa. 46:11)

God's purpose was to build trust in Him by demonstrating that He was able to do that which He said He would do.

Also even the idea that Isa. 46 is unconditional doesn't seem right.

Quote:
Listen to Me, you stubborn-hearted, Who are far from righteousness: I bring My righteousness near, it shall not be far off; My salvation shall not linger. And I will place salvation in Zion, For Israel My glory.(Isa. 46:12, 13)

Israel rejected Christ, so they did not see this prophecy come to pass.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Tom] #84951
02/06/07 05:15 PM
02/06/07 05:15 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
Even in cases involving conditional promises or prophecies, ones which can go either way depending on human choice, God knows exactly how it will play out beforehand, from eternity past.

Can something that God knows how it will play out happen differently than what God knows will happen?

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Mountain Man] #84953
02/06/07 05:51 PM
02/06/07 05:51 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
Rosangela

Would it be possible that some prophesies point out the general direction but not nessessarily the specifics? For instance, if Judas had choosen not to betray Jesus after all, someone else would have done it instead? Or, there will be a man of sin, but more exactly who or in what position are details that are as of now open?

Galatians 2
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

It is so hazardous to take here a little and there a little. If you put the right little's together you can make the bible teach anything you wish. //Graham Maxwell
Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Tom] #84980
02/07/07 01:32 PM
02/07/07 01:32 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
In case this isn't clear, I'm asking if it actually could have happened that Judas did not betray Christ. (i.e. could we have had a history which did not have Judas betraying Christ).

I don’t know how my answer can be different from what I’ve already said.
Could it actually have happened that Christ did not die on the cross but chose to go back to heaven? Could it actually have happened that Christ did not bruise the serpent’s head but, instead, fell into temptation and sinned?
What is the answer to these questions? Yes or no? Yes, in the sense that these were very real and concrete possibilities, but No in the sense that God knew beforehand the outcome of things.

Quote:
Regarding the purpose of prophecy, I don't think any of the contemporaries of prophecy thought of it as having anything to do with God's omniscience. That weren't concerned about what God knew, but with what He could do.

Isa. 46:11 refers to Cyrus. I see two possibilities here:
1) God stated beforehand how things would happen because He knew it (showing His omniscience)
2) God stated beforehand how things would happen because He would force things to happen that way (showing His power)

Quote:

I disagree. God placed salvation in Zion for the remnant in Israel.

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: vastergotland] #84981
02/07/07 02:37 PM
02/07/07 02:37 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Thomas,

God seems to be very specific in His prophecies, so that their fulfillment isn't missed.

For instance, God said about the betrayer: "Even my close friend, in whom I trusted, who ate my bread, has lifted up his heel against me" (Psalms 41:9). And then Jesus said: "'Truly, I say to you, one of you will betray me, one who is eating with me.' They began to be sorrowful, and to say to him one after another, 'Is it I?' He said to them, 'It is one of the twelve, one who is dipping bread into the dish with me'" (Mk 14:18-20). So, it would be someone from Christ's closest circle of friends, that is, the twelve.

As to the man of sin, the lawless one who will be destroyed by Christ's coming (2 Thess. 2:8), and who opposes God and exalts himself above Him, he has the same characteristics of the leopardlike beast of Revelation, who would exercise authority for 42 months, and the same characteristics of the little horn of Daniel, who would prevail for 3 1/2 times. But Daniel shows that this little horn arises out of the Roman Empire, the fourth beast, and is destroyed only just before the saints receive the kingdom (Daniel 7:7-27). So we must look for a power which arises out of the Roman Empire and remains until it is destroyed by Chirst's coming.

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Rosangela] #84982
02/07/07 03:24 PM
02/07/07 03:24 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
TE: In case this isn't clear, I'm asking if it actually could have happened that Judas did not betray Christ. (i.e. could we have had a history which did not have Judas betraying Christ).

R: What is the answer to these questions? Yes or no? Yes, in the sense that these were very real and concrete possibilities, but No in the sense that God knew beforehand the outcome of things.

MM: I agree with Rosangela.

TE: Can something that God knows how it will play out happen differently than what God knows will happen?

MM: No. Unconditional prophecies will play out exactly as God foretold. God’s knowing the end from the beginning, however, in no way robs people of their ability or freedom to choose.

Deuteronomy
18:22 When a prophet speaketh in the name of the LORD, if the thing follow not, nor come to pass, that [is] the thing which the LORD hath not spoken, [but] the prophet hath spoken it presumptuously: thou shalt not be afraid of him.

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Mountain Man] #84988
02/07/07 04:11 PM
02/07/07 04:11 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas

I don’t know how my answer can be different from what I’ve already said.
Could it actually have happened that Christ did not die on the cross but chose to go back to heaven? Could it actually have happened that Christ did not bruise the serpent’s head but, instead, fell into temptation and sinned?
What is the answer to these questions? Yes or no? Yes, in the sense that these were very real and concrete possibilities, but No in the sense that God knew beforehand the outcome of things.

In the case of Christ, God has told us (through Ellen White) that it was a risk for Him to send His Son. That means He knew that Christ might not succeed. But we can set this aside for the moment, and go back to Judas.

Here's what I'm asking. Was it possible for Judas not only to choose to betray Christ, but to actually betray Christ? Was it an event which actually could have happened? This is a question which can be answered "yes" or "no."

Quote:
Regarding the purpose of prophecy, I don't think any of the contemporaries of prophecy thought of it as having anything to do with God's omniscience. That weren't concerned about what God knew, but with what He could do.

Isa. 46:11 refers to Cyrus. I see two possibilities here:
1) God stated beforehand how things would happen because He knew it (showing His omniscience)
2) God stated beforehand how things would happen because He would force things to happen that way (showing His power)

There's a third possibility, which is that it is some combination of 1) and 2). If you look at the stated purpose of the prophesy, it was to show that God could bring to pass what He said He would.

Quote:

I disagree. God placed salvation in Zion for the remnant in Israel.

The context is talking about the nation of Israel. The nation of Israel rejected Christ.

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Tom] #84989
02/07/07 04:21 PM
02/07/07 04:21 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
TE: In case this isn't clear, I'm asking if it actually could have happened that Judas did not betray Christ. (i.e. could we have had a history which did not have Judas betraying Christ).

R: What is the answer to these questions? Yes or no? Yes, in the sense that these were very real and concrete possibilities, but No in the sense that God knew beforehand the outcome of things.

MM: I agree with Rosangela.

This is a question which can be answered "yes" or "no." Was it possible for Judas not only to have chosen to betray Christ, but to actually have betrayed him? Is this an event which could have happened? From the answer to the following question, it appears to me your answer must be "no."

TE: Can something that God knows how it will play out happen differently than what God knows will happen?

MM: No.

Ok, let's stop here a moment. If something that God knows how it will play out cannot happen differently than what God knows will happen, then is there anything that can happen differently than what God has already seen? The answer must be know, right?

Unconditional prophecies will play out exactly as God foretold.

This is irrelevant, isn't it? The relevant factor is that God knows exactly what will happen, and things cannot happen differently than what He knows. What you call unconditional prophecies are simply a small subset of the totality of what God knows will happen which He has chosen to share with us.

God’s knowing the end from the beginning, however, in no way robs people of their ability or freedom to choose.

This isn't the problem.

Deuteronomy
18:22 When a prophet speaketh in the name of the LORD, if the thing follow not, nor come to pass, that [is] the thing which the LORD hath not spoken, [but] the prophet hath spoken it presumptuously: thou shalt not be afraid of him.

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Tom] #84996
02/07/07 05:51 PM
02/07/07 05:51 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
TE: Ok, let's stop here a moment. If something that God knows how it will play out cannot happen differently than what God knows will happen, then is there anything that can happen differently than what God has already seen? The answer must be know, right?

MM: Right. God knows the future in the same way He knows the past. It is based on the facts. He knows the end from the beginning. God "calleth those things which be not as though they were." (Rom. 4:17) In such cases, there is nothing uncertain or conditional about it.

Isaiah
42:9 Behold, the former things are come to pass, and new things do I declare: before they spring forth I tell you of them.

John
13:19 Now I tell you before it come, that, when it is come to pass, ye may believe that I am [he].
14:29 And now I have told you before it come to pass, that, when it is come to pass, ye might believe.

Page 7 of 103 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 102 103

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/15/24 09:27 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!